Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I tried watching the penta whatever show with mike Myers but it’s too weird for me

Also kinda over Keegan Michael key. I like a lot of his stuff but his roles lately have just been grating. Glad he’s cashing in tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sock The Great posted:

I thought you goons would be all over Outer Range (Prime), but I barely recall it being mentioned in this thread. It’s very good in an Outer Limits/Twilight Zone meets Yellowstone kind of way.

Penultimate ep and season 1 finale drop tomorrow.

I'm very excited for it but it's just in the queue at the moment

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Also kinda over Keegan Michael key. I like a lot of his stuff but his roles lately have just been grating. Glad he’s cashing in tho

at this point the number of bad things he's been in far outbalances the good :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

at this point the number of bad things he's been in far outbalances the good :(

I liked the college friends show a lot

I like gen x dramedies for some reason. Probably cause I have poo poo taste

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Does anyone know if we’re actually getting more king of the hill I heard a rumor

Wasn’t there a dedicated thread for that show

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Pentaverate is insanely stupid and I love it

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Once Upon a Time...Happily Never After on Netflix. A reasonably entertaining Spanish mini-series about a town with a fairy-tale curse that can only be broken if the reincarnations of a princess and her lover reunite and release a dragon (not a euphemism). Also the fairy-tale castle was converted into a hotel, and there's musical numbers. It was goofy, charming, and not a huge time commitment. Everything I hoped it would be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I guess the point they were making at the end of Ozark was that basically every elite family in America did all the same poo poo that the Byrds did and got away with all of it which of course is true.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lastdancer posted:

Pentaverate is insanely stupid and I love it

It certainly swings for the fence. It's not as bad as Barb and Starr.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LifeLynx posted:

Remember when actors playing multiple characters in a comedy movie was set up to be the hot new thing? What mercifully killed that, was it Adam Sandler's Jack & Jill?

I decided to never even try it when the plot to the show turned out to be "there is a canal that runs the world, it's 5 white dudes, they're cool and the world would be so much worse if the white people weren't in control

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 6, 2022

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I decided to never even try it when the plot to the show turned out to be "there is a canal that runs the world, it's 5 white dudes, they're cool and the world would be so much worse if the white people weren't in control

Oh the actual plot is so much dumber than that. It is basically a live-action Mike Myers cartoon of a miniseries that goes extremely hard on impersonations, "CANADA EH?", and meta humor. They poke fun at several conspiracy theories and one of his new impersonations is basically Alex Jones. In one of the later episodes the main character is assisted by LITERALLY SHREK AFTER WHICH "I'M A BELIEVER" PLAYS. He impersonates his own dear friend Shep Gordon which I assume must be accurate and is just hilarious to me for some reason I still can't pin down. There's some Austin Powers-isms in some of the goofs and gags throughout. It's not as terrible as Love Guru but it also doesn't hit peak Austin Powers, either. The whole "white guy secret cabal" aspect is honestly half-baked at best and by the end doesn't even matter.

The Pentaverate is only a worth a watch if you really missed Mike Myers and his craft.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 6, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

It certainly swings for the fence. It's not as bad as Barb and Starr.

that's a shame, because Barb and Starr owns

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

Except for the talking club scene, it completely missed me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

maybe ill give pentavarate another shot

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

Barb and Star is the poo poo

Except for the parts with the stupid villain

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So why is Bosch: Legacy not just called Bosch: Season 8?

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Medullah posted:

So why is Bosch: Legacy not just called Bosch: Season 8?

Because it's on Amazon freevee and not Amazon prime. I have no real idea, this is purely a guess.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just adding to the Barb and Star is cool and good actually chorus.

Haven't watched anything Mike Myers since Love Guru made me want to die, so not sure if I want to give Pentaverate a shot.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Just adding to the Barb and Star is cool and good actually chorus.

I went and watched this since a few mentioned it and yeah this checks out

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Isn’t Mike Myers notoriously terrible to work with?

Why bother supporting the guy who hasn’t made anything decent since Austin Powers?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Barb and Star clearly seemed like it required me to find their overall demeanor to be funny in order to enjoy any of the other jokes. I did not. Different humor but that aspect reminded me of Chicago Party Aunt - I assume these types of people are funny to some, maybe you had to know people like that, but they just aren't to me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I am incredibly done with Outer Range. It was leaning towards some weird poo poo (which I'm fine with) but I'm not a fan of mysterious characters speaking vaguely for the sake of being vague.

I don't know if that made sense but the end of this season just went right off the rails for me and I almost turned it off halfway through the finale. Curious to see what others think of it.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

I am incredibly done with Outer Range. It was leaning towards some weird poo poo (which I'm fine with) but I'm not a fan of mysterious characters speaking vaguely for the sake of being vague.

I don't know if that made sense but the end of this season just went right off the rails for me and I almost turned it off halfway through the finale. Curious to see what others think of it.

I really liked it and was genuinely shocked by the end reveal, definitely looking forward to another season if its renewed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Sock The Great posted:

I really liked it and was genuinely shocked by the end reveal, definitely looking forward to another season if its renewed.

I think it's the autumn character that's really putting me off. Which might be by design, but I don't think I'm going to keep watching. The ending was interesting though so who knows.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I really liked the finale, too. I was grinning from ear to ear at the reveal(s). I didn't see any of that coming.

Like someone said in the show's thread, it could end here or keep going and either way is fine.

From was better and more fun, as far as weird mystery shows this year

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I watched At Home with Amy Sedaris (HBO Max) on a whim and it's great. Too bad it was cancelled, but it had a good run of absurd, surreal humor. I love the commitment to the bit of being a "live broadcast".

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

LifeLynx posted:

I watched At Home with Amy Sedaris (HBO Max) on a whim and it's great. Too bad it was cancelled, but it had a good run of absurd, surreal humor. I love the commitment to the bit of being a "live broadcast".

That show could be hit or miss, but it was pretty great when it hit:

"It's Friday night
I'm gonna drunk
I'm gonna get laid
I'm gonna be late on
Monday!"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I loved Outer Range. Better be a season 2.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm working my way through it now and I am loving it. It's a bit of a slow burn but I'm cool with it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I watched the first episode of "Blood Sisters" on Netflix.

It's Netflix's first Nigerian series and the first thing from "Nollywood" I've seen.

It's basically a soap opera set in Africa and shot in 24 fps.

The acting is okay and the set and wardrobe design is incredible.

However, the writing is horrendous.

Like in the first episode:

- The two main characters kill someone and burry them.
- One of the grooms is in drug smuggling
- The bride to be has an obsessive ex-boyfriend
- The one of the grooms turns out to be abusive and beats his wife.
- A sister in law is going to university abroad and announces to everyone she just completed rehab
- The bride's obsessive boyfriend actually comes to the wedding unannounced

All of the above occurs in just the first ten minutes of the first episode.

It's sad because finishing the first episode there is a good story somewhere in here, but it's killed by bad writing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

EDIT - Double Post.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Just finished The Sound of Magic on Netflix. A musical k-drama miniseries that was both charming and infuriating. The plot is two high-school kids who's lives are miserable get groomed by befriend a magician living in an abandoned theme park. If you've been binging Penn & Teller's Fool Us like I have, you'll probably enjoy this too. Small detail, but I also appreciated that the credits listed all the musicians by name. And the curtain call at the end was :kiss:. Mostly this show taught me that (actual spoiler:)throwing people over a railing is magic. Everyone on this show should have gotten the poo poo magicked out of them repeatedly. All the parents, the boss, the landlord, the classmates, the school administrator, and most of all the police. "Oops, I guess we should have looked at that video footage we had all along of the actual murderer murdering the missing schoolgirl. That might have wrapped up the case much quicker. Ah well, nevertheless. At least we got the opportunity to intimidate a sexual harassment victim!"

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched the first episode of "Blood Sisters" on Netflix.

It's Netflix's first Nigerian series and the first thing from "Nollywood" I've seen.

It's basically a soap opera set in Africa and shot in 24 fps.

The acting is okay and the set and wardrobe design is incredible.

However, the writing is horrendous.

Like in the first episode:

- The two main characters kill someone and burry them.
- One of the grooms is in drug smuggling
- The bride to be has an obsessive ex-boyfriend
- The one of the grooms turns out to be abusive and beats his wife.
- A sister in law is going to university abroad and announces to everyone she just completed rehab
- The bride's obsessive boyfriend actually comes to the wedding unannounced

All of the above occurs in just the first ten minutes of the first episode.

It's sad because finishing the first episode there is a good story somewhere in here, but it's killed by bad writing.

That sounds a little like a proper soap opera actually. Depends what they were aiming for.

I gave the pan-African Queen Sono a go some months ago. While it's superficially a spy / action drama, there's at least as much character drama and soapy relationship drama which, combined with some very average acting, sank it for me. The idea of the globetrotting spy solving African crises was cool though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched the first 3 episodes of Pieces of Her and it was very bad. I think the script is the real issue but the performances don't help it. The daughter character is so ridiculously stupid.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

nonathlon posted:

That sounds a little like a proper soap opera actually. Depends what they were aiming for.

I gave the pan-African Queen Sono a go some months ago. While it's superficially a spy / action drama, there's at least as much character drama and soapy relationship drama which, combined with some very average acting, sank it for me. The idea of the globetrotting spy solving African crises was cool though.

Yeah, I really want to try watching some proper African content, but my first impression of Nollywood isn't good. And Google isn't helping me find good alternatives.

I don't want to dismiss the largest/2nd largest film industry in the world, but I'd like to watch something that's actually quality.

I recall a lot of people saying stuff like Korean media used to be very bad prior to the 2000s where it gradually got better due to a new wave of directors and government funding in the arts, but that sounds very ignorant to say of Nigeria.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 8, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Papercut posted:

I watched the first 3 episodes of Pieces of Her and it was very bad. I think the script is the real issue but the performances don't help it. The daughter character is so ridiculously stupid.

I enjoyed watching Toni Collette and David Wenham chewing the scenery, and while there were a couple of fun moments, the show overall was very bad, and to be honest I can't even remember how it ended. It was very unmemorable.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Same. I wanted to like it because of Toni Collette but it was just so boring.

I forgot I was watching it while I was watching it :v:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I enjoyed watching Toni Collette and David Wenham chewing the scenery, and while there were a couple of fun moments, the show overall was very bad, and to be honest I can't even remember how it ended. It was very unmemorable.

Yeah it sucks cause it's such a waste of her, she's great and her character seems interesting but then every scene without her is terrible.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Belle is a masterpiece it made my week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Upsidads posted:

Belle is a masterpiece it made my week

Is it streaming anywhere? Google says it's only VOD for rent.