Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How would Irv be a therapist if he already has a full-time job?

I'm not on team irv is a therapist, but it's possible that he used to be one, but then couldn't practice anymore, so he becomes severed. Then he starts wondering if he can get his severed mind to interact with his normal mind, and starts investigating lumon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
where is anyone getting therapist from?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Khanstant posted:

where is anyone getting therapist from?

Mark’s sister makes a comment about a therapist with a mustache. I’m not sure why people landed on it being Irv instead of Milchick playing a Ms. Selvig sort of role on the outside. Both seem equally unlikely to me but the latter is a lot more amusing.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Patricia Arquette is loving incredible in this show. I have never enjoyed a performance I loathed so much. It's on another level.

If they ever want to reboot DS9 and re-cast Kai Winn... she's the top pick.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Vegetable posted:

The dance scene reminded me of a very similar scene in Ex Machina. Both are menace and fun in a poppy candy wrapper.

I have to say: neither worked for me. There’s a suspension of disbelief that’s broken for me. Too elaborate, too aberrant in tone and style. The banality of evil gets lost somewhat.

By contrast, they fit perfectly in a show like Legion where showy visual setpieces are the name of the game.

I swear I’m not just being contrarian — there’s plenty I loved about Severance. The premise sucked me in from episode one, and I’m constantly worrying in the back of my mind that they’re gonna screw it up like Westworld or whatever.
I totally understand this and it may come down to purely personal preference but if your disbelief is broken because you believe the characters inside the situation shouldn't be going along with it as well as they are, it is important to remember that innies do not purely understand the world around them. This is as normal as thinking finger traps are a decent reward for good work. As such, it's merely the company trying to provide for a basic human need with as much sterility as possible. I find that believable which is why I find the situation believable, so very little suspension is needed for me.

Penitent posted:

Patricia Arquette is loving incredible in this show. I have never enjoyed a performance I loathed so much. It's on another level.

If they ever want to reboot DS9 and re-cast Kai Winn... she's the top pick.
Too true.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 2, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vegetable posted:

The dance scene reminded me of a very similar scene in Ex Machina. Both are menace and fun in a poppy candy wrapper.

I have to say: neither worked for me. There’s a suspension of disbelief that’s broken for me. Too elaborate, too aberrant in tone and style. The banality of evil gets lost somewhat.

i'm gonna have to do a big disagree here and say that there is nothing more evilly banal, or banally evil, than the MDE

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

Something I caught on re-watch was that Cobel tells Mark S. her mother was an atheist, but Ms. Selvig tells Mark Scout that her mother was Catholic.

I can't make any sense of why, but thought it was an interesting little detail.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Whatever makes for the most convenient story.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of Patricia Arquette/Cobel. One thing I was a bit confused about, but didn't question enough to bring up was here total 180 on Lumen in the in the last episode. After being fired she goes from "gently caress lumen burn it to the ground" to "we must protect Lumen at all costs" within 2 seconds once she realizes what is going on. Which I chalked up to her having a manic episode or something but it was still a really sudden shift of priorities that came off as strange.

I guess at the end of the day she was a true believer even though she was furious about being fired?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, I think that's exactly it. She believes in Kier and whatever their whole deal is, Lumen is just the organization with the power and means to scale and advance the Kier agenda... but is still subject to outside forces, capitalist whims, and all sorts of interference from anyone with power along the way.

Kier is God and Lumen is the church, and while she is employed by the church, she serves only god. Being fired pisses her off since she is a more zealous disciple, or perceives herself to be, than many of those above her in the hierarchy. She's enraged because Lumen is doing something that she sees as straying from Kier's light, seems to go against Kier's best interest she she has his best interests in mind.

As faulty as Lumen is to her, knowing the entire house of cards is at risk of tumbling down sends her into a panic since Lumen is still the best hope Kier ideology has of being advanced.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Not only that but she probably also believes doing this act of heroism could get her rehired

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Tweak posted:

Not only that but she probably also believes doing this act of heroism could get her rehired

I thought that too exactly, "gently caress 'em, Mark!" *episode ends*

*next episode* oh poo poo MDR are in overtime protocol, I might be able to get my job back! "Praise them!!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Cobel is definitely going to them and saying "You fired me and look what happened. I'm the only one who can take care of these children."

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I was bringing up an old movie scene to illustrate a point and I was surprised to find Irv.........!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-xI1384Ry4

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

This is it. This is the moment someone says "OMG look, Irv was in Big Lebwoski!" and I feel truly old. :smith:

I think when you consider that Cobel tore down her shrine to Kier, she never really thought "I hate Lumon but Kier's still cool." I think she has an agenda, believes her devotion to Kier would get her what she wanted, felt that her firing meant a completely loss of her agenda, and finding a way back into Lumon's good graces would be the only way to get back on track. The devotion was always surface level and, in a way, could be seen as a mirror of real world religious belief.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 5, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Perhaps, likely even, but that would mean the shrine is just for show and so far I'm not sure who she would need to see that. Plenty of room for there to be someone for it to be seen by, or a more personal connection with her mother who maybe had the shrine going before she died?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
My thought is Outtie Gemma is brain dead. Ms. Cobel wants to see if Innie Gemma can remember Mark because that would mean Severance could be used to bring back a loved one who is in coma. In other words, I think Gemma is motivated by trying to bring back a loved one. I’m not saying this is right, but it seems to work with what we’ve seen so far.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Perhaps, likely even, but that would mean the shrine is just for show and so far I'm not sure who she would need to see that. Plenty of room for there to be someone for it to be seen by, or a more personal connection with her mother who maybe had the shrine going before she died?
People who live alone pray alone at night, even when it's just a surface level belief. The shrine can be for show to herself and the higher power it's meant to represent, not necessarily an outside party.

ghostwritingduck posted:

My thought is Outtie Gemma is brain dead. Ms. Cobel wants to see if Innie Gemma can remember Mark because that would mean Severance could be used to bring back a loved one who is in coma. In other words, I think Gemma is motivated by trying to bring back a loved one. I’m not saying this is right, but it seems to work with what we’ve seen so far.
Yeah I'd dare to say this is the going working theory this thread has on that. Except I think you mean Cobel is motivated by bringing back the loved one.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ghostwritingduck posted:

The eventual dilemma for Mark will probably be whether to try to rebuild their relationship or let her go. And maybe a decision about whether to continue being his original self or his new self.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That definitely seems closest to the truth. It seems like Cobel lost this Charlotte person due something happening that caused them to be put on a breathing tube. The severing chip could possibly have saved Charlotte, or at least puppeted her brain to make her body work. It all depends on what the severance chip really does and what its design goals were. If creating an entirely new personality with no access to the host memories was the goal, then it seems like Cobel is running a rogue project trying to force the chip to do something it was designed not to do. If the lack of access to the host memories was just an unplanned feature of the chip and they don't know how to get it to do that, then her rogue project is probably to show the board that it actually is possible. The former is Lumon knowing the chip could do something, deciding to make it so it couldn't do that, and Cobel is trying to brute force it. The latter is Lumon saying it's not possible, and Cobel trying to prove to them that it is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ghostwritingduck posted:

i would probably bet like 5 actual dollars on this yeah. the accident left her brain dead. that might even be used to explain why she acts so disconnected and weird as an Innie. her brain is not operating at full capacity or whatever.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

veni veni veni posted:

It’s a shame we don’t have a mod regular in here so we could all get those sweet sweet gang tags.

Just bumping this again just in case there was a chance any mod sees this. Would absolutely love a sweet gang tag for Severance!

Maybe Milchak's jazz dance?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think someone needs to make one first.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Cojawfee posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is asymmetrical.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

withak posted:

That is asymmetrical.

lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/tT9Eh8wNMkw

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Man I just watched all of this over the course of 3 days and it's definitely the most I've enjoyed a TV show in recent memory. I kept my guard up until the very end waiting for them to gently caress it up, and they never did! Really hope they can keep that momentum going in the second season.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Cojawfee posted:

That definitely seems closest to the truth. It seems like Cobel lost this Charlotte person due something happening that caused them to be put on a breathing tube. The severing chip could possibly have saved Charlotte, or at least puppeted her brain to make her body work. It all depends on what the severance chip really does and what its design goals were. If creating an entirely new personality with no access to the host memories was the goal, then it seems like Cobel is running a rogue project trying to force the chip to do something it was designed not to do. If the lack of access to the host memories was just an unplanned feature of the chip and they don't know how to get it to do that, then her rogue project is probably to show the board that it actually is possible. The former is Lumon knowing the chip could do something, deciding to make it so it couldn't do that, and Cobel is trying to brute force it. The latter is Lumon saying it's not possible, and Cobel trying to prove to them that it is.

While watching Ms Casey and Mark S together Cobel seems distant when mentioning they can't remember each other while Milchick tries to be reassuring that the chip is working as intended. Now of course the info Milchick is getting might be fake, but that scene could hint at Cobel hoping a brain-dead person could access their old memories while in active severance.

I really, really hope season 2 isn't Westworld season 2 where we get Helly battling her immortal dad trying to sever the immortal severance makes the rich guy immortality blaaaah that would suck

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
She's clearly pushing them toward remembering, or testing it at least. Like the stolen candle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

From page 39.

E: lol nm right above me

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If there's gang tags I want in.

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

500 good dogs posted:

She's clearly pushing them toward remembering, or testing it at least. Like the stolen candle.

I suspect Cobel/Selvig is especially interested in Petey's reintegrating his innie/outie selves because it'd open up the prospect of "resurrecting" Charlotte in some form.

If outie Charlotte was comatose/braindead (presumably Gemma is in this state), she could possibly be severed/reanimated as an innie like Ms. Casey, and have her outie memories reintegrated into her innie form, giving Cobel/Selvig a chance to reunite with Charlotte. Similarly, Ms. Casey could possibly have her outie memories reintegrated, effectively bringing back Gemma. Both would be full-time innies, but with full access to their outie memories and personality.

ardiem fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 8, 2022

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Binged the show over the last 24 hours basically and I already know that I'll have a hard time sleeping tonight. Jesus.

I guess I don't have anything meaningful to add that hasn't been written over the course of the season, but let me say this - this was the most horrifying shot of the whole season for me.

also, :lol:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hell a vered story

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Did anyone ever refer to Ms. Casey by a first name?

I’m wondering why didn’t they give her the “normal” innie name of Gemma S. Was it maybe because she was more on the administrative side of Lumon rather than a typical worker, like Mr. Milchek/Mr. Graner/etc.?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Electric Sugar posted:

Did anyone ever refer to Ms. Casey by a first name?

I’m wondering why didn’t they give her the “normal” innie name of Gemma S. Was it maybe because she was more on the administrative side of Lumon rather than a typical worker, like Mr. Milchek/Mr. Graner/etc.?

yeah i think calling her Miss Casey instead of Gemma S. is part of a play on her whole character being a weird alien HR person, because HR people are always "Miss Karen" or whatever

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Thoughts on the number sorting:

If they can sort the files to 100%, would that not mean that the company already knows where (or at least how many) the “bad” numbers are? Then would that mean their work is arbitrary and completely meaningless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

latinotwink1997 posted:

Thoughts on the number sorting:

If they can sort the files to 100%, would that not mean that the company already knows where (or at least how many) the “bad” numbers are? Then would that mean their work is arbitrary and completely meaningless?

Maybe it's sort of like trying to count inventory? I have a friend who's responsible for counting inventory in a warehouse and gets evaluated on his accuracy once every quarter. He was saying recently he got scored 97% consistency, and someone asked him to clarify, asking "How does the system know how accurate you are if you're the one reporting the inventory?" He asked his supervisors because he wasn't sure, and apparently it's as simple as "the computer thinks we have x, so how close is my number to x?" But then that of course doesn't account for theft, product misplacement or a myriad of other real-world things that can happen, and also kind of places the blame on him in a weird way if a bunch of one product suddenly turns up missing during a count.

Don't ask me to figure out how that situation directly correlates to MDR, but when it comes to considering the paradoxical loophole trying to evaluate their job performance, that already exists all over the real world so I'm willing to look past it.