Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

SeXReX posted:

my 3 foot wide mouse surface has RGB lighting around the rim of it that is synced up with my mouse and keyboard it freaking owns

powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SeXReX posted:

my 3 foot wide mouse surface has RGB lighting around the rim of it that is synced up with my mouse and keyboard it freaking owns

So you have to plug your mousepad in?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Go big or go home

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Real talk - if you're into heavier board games, Ark Nova is an amazing pickup.

It's basically on everybody's GOTY lists for good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgr-ET0buQ

Zoo Tycoon is a pretty good descriptor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I put my mouse on my forehead

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've been playing a bunch of modern board games recently with some friends who are really into them, and I have fun hanging out with them, but it feels like the design framework for so many of them is just, 'accumulate tokens to buy icons to acquire points to achieve a score in three discrete areas then add them up to determine the winner,' with various different themes and narratives surrounding it. It's all just... basic maths??? For fun????? What am I missing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Play American games instead of euro games if you don't like that

American games are all about defeating your friends on the field of battle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Math can be fun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Math can be fun

No

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress math, gently caress numbers. Pythagoras was a mistake

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
math owns fucker

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I've been playing a bunch of modern board games recently with some friends who are really into them, and I have fun hanging out with them, but it feels like the design framework for so many of them is just, 'accumulate tokens to buy icons to acquire points to achieve a score in three discrete areas then add them up to determine the winner,' with various different themes and narratives surrounding it. It's all just... basic maths??? For fun????? What am I missing.

What kind of games are you playing? Some are far more math-oriented than others, several aren't math-oriented though still expect the same basic math skills a video game would expect from you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

math owns fucker

I'm the fucker owned by math

I love learning about topology poo poo though even though my brain has trouble following and retaining anything beyond algebra.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

math owns fucker

0.999999... =/= 1
it'll keep going forever but never reach one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

0.999999... =/= 1
it'll keep going forever but never reach one

getting infinitely close to a something is what it means for an infinite sum to equal it, try again troll

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

getting infinitely close to a something is what it means for an infinite sum to equal it, try again troll
Oh I forgot we only have to get close to something to obtain it. Will the Mathmagicians Sophistical tomfoolery ever end?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's all just... basic maths??? For fun????? What am I missing.

Pick a game mechanic you like, how heavy or light you want the gameplay, and a genre you want to see and I will ~recommend you something~

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Oh I forgot we only have to get close to something to obtain it. Will the Mathmagicians Sophistical tomfoolery ever end?

someone's extremely mad at zeno

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mathmagician enters the grocer, pulls out their knife and cuts out .0000001... pieces of apple.

"Stop hoodlum, you should not steal apples"

"Oh, but sir I've not stolen any apple, if you put three together you'll see that it all adds up to one"

"Well you clearly stole parts of apple but your nonsensical sophistry has convinced me to allow this to continue"

This is the beginning of the end of society

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

someone's extremely mad at zeno

Man's been stuck in the same spot for an eternity, what's there to be mad at

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Mathmagician enters the grocer, pulls out their knife and cuts out .0000001... pieces of apple.

"Stop hoodlum, you should not steal apples"

"Oh, but sir I've not stolen any apple, if you put three together you'll see that it all adds up to one"

"Well you clearly stole parts of apple but your nonsensical sophistry has convinced me to allow this to continue"

This is the beginning of the end of society

no they stole 0.00001% of an apple

the ... needs to go before the 1. you absolute buffoon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

no...stole...an apple...
you absolute buffoon.

So the truth finally comes out, mathematicians are after are apples.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
pictures are final fantasy 7
words are final fantasy 8
math is final fantasy 9

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually the math robot is in ff14

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think what I dislike is when you have to build up an 'engine' to accumulate points mostly independently of other people. It's less that it's maths that bothers me, and more just the endless accumulation of abstracted resources. Wingspan is the one that made me feel this way most. It's probably Euro-board game philosophy that doesn't gel with me, like Cheetah said. I like to be able to destroy my friends in mortal combat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
That's why I love Scythe. It's resource accumulation with the ever present threat that one of your friends will launch onto a warpath.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
did any of y'all ever have mousetrap! board game? the commercials made it seem really cool but nobody ever wanted one enough to ask or save up for it. went to a kids house one time and they had it and i was excited and asked to play, but then they basically lost all the parts.

nevermind, i'm cancelling mousetrap for ripping off Rube Goldberg and not even giving him a nod even after he declined to take legal action against him. also sounds like they never actually figured out much a game to play, just a rotating selection of random rules to facilitate eventually setting off the rube goldberg machine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think what I dislike is when you have to build up an 'engine' to accumulate points mostly independently of other people. It's less that it's maths that bothers me, and more just the endless accumulation of abstracted resources. Wingspan is the one that made me feel this way most. It's probably Euro-board game philosophy that doesn't gel with me, like Cheetah said. I like to be able to destroy my friends in mortal combat.

I enjoy Wingspan as a quasi-solitaire type game but it does seem like it would be pretty boring with other people, play a game like Consentacle instead or something

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Finished bugsnax. Yea that was as horrifying as they thought. Wish they went further with it but fun game!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Pouring one out for Gypsy

What is your twitch stream link anyway

twitch.tv/videogamessa

Tonight I am playing more FFIX - disc 3. Just given the caged lady a ton of stellazios, won all the auction items with my massive bank balance and am off to side quest! :) At least I think that is what Rarity was saying I could do.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

twitch.tv/videogamessa

Tonight I am playing more FFIX - disc 3. Just given the caged lady a ton of stellazios, won all the auction items with my massive bank balance and am off to side quest! :) At least I think that is what Rarity was saying I could do.

I hope you've been keeping up with your Tetra Master :v:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

This is probably the best place to post this.

Someone tweeted at Microsoft to release the 27-year-old source code to 3D Movie Maker, so they did

quote:

Foone, a self-described "hardware/software necromancer" and chaotic keyboard maker, convinced Microsoft to release the source code for 3D Movie Maker—apparently, all we needed to do was ask. The 27-year-old animation program is now out there, neatly archived and available for anyone who wants tinker with it.
I am so loving stoked.

'THE DOLLAR FIGURE MAYBE IN THE TRILLIONS'

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I hope you've been keeping up with your Tetra Master :v:

I have not. Tetra Master confuses me too much. Though I am the Flan Man with the five Flan Cards ;D
It feels like there is almost a great game there though - like with a few tweaks it could be an evolution of Triple Triad and the best card game ever.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Budzilla posted:

This is probably the best place to post this.

Someone tweeted at Microsoft to release the 27-year-old source code to 3D Movie Maker, so they did

I am so loving stoked.

'THE DOLLAR FIGURE MAYBE IN THE TRILLIONS'

This is it, Luigi

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Khanstant posted:

did any of y'all ever have mousetrap! board game? the commercials made it seem really cool but nobody ever wanted one enough to ask or save up for it. went to a kids house one time and they had it and i was excited and asked to play, but then they basically lost all the parts.

nevermind, i'm cancelling mousetrap for ripping off Rube Goldberg and not even giving him a nod even after he declined to take legal action against him. also sounds like they never actually figured out much a game to play, just a rotating selection of random rules to facilitate eventually setting off the rube goldberg machine.

I had it, it was really bad and I dunno that we ever played it right because it was dumb and also there were too many pieces.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
There were better games in the “we’re just playing this to make the cool poo poo happen” genre anyway, like 13 Dead End Drive, Grape Escape, or the real king poo poo of explodey toys that were theoretically a board game, Weapons and Warriors.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Mouse trap never worked ever. Not even once

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Zil posted:

So you have to plug your mousepad in?

Yeah, it's a real shame that I'm trapped in 2008 where USB ports on motherboards are at a premium

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think we need to talk about the real scandal rocking the gaming world.... they patched out the ability for Arthur to sneak into the post-game section of the map to collect the last few items he needs to complete the collectible missions and have the ARTHUR-SPECIFIC CUTSCENES THAT ARE IN THE GAME :argh: instead of having Marston finish it all off several years later and all the people were still just hanging around waiting in Red Dead Redemption 2 :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Not enough people are talking about how the latest stacklands patch changed the sell price of rocks and trees to 0 so you can no longer buy booster packs and instantly sell off those cards you don't need, and instead have to spend time processing them to stone and wood first. Really messed up my whole early game strategy.

At least you can sell while time is paused now though.