Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It just occurred to me how wild it would be to play through a masturbation/sex scene with DE's mechanics and writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

FPyat posted:

It just occurred to me how wild it would be to play through a masturbation/sex scene with DE's mechanics and writing.

EorayMel posted:

Anti Horny Game

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

dead gay comedy forums posted:

so, one of the first post-DE RPGs got released - Citizen Sleeper was announced something like not too long after the original DE and it's part of its school so to speak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-q0g9LTQmY

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/citizen-sleeper-review

posting it here because its definitely 'discoelysian': neoliberalism sucks, dice rolls on dialogue options and general activities, communism, focus on humane characterization, lotsa text, banger soundtrack, etc

I tried this out tonight and although I dont think the game is very disco, it was a nice change of pace from the Elden Ring I had been playing lately.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

star eater posted:

i bullied my friend into playing this finally and he’s enjoying it. i only did because he was being stubborn but it’s right up his alley.

i think i’ve played it 1.5 times but watched lots of ppl play it. SGF and Woolie being my favorite runs, both doing nearly everything in the entire game. SGFs run was about 65 hours and Woolie’s was 85 hours.

SGF

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB3EgpAuZztCy5pqkkWrZHCO

Woolie

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiSdC6Lp8c7OqzRpriFam1lARlD9zI_Gl

I really liked SGF's run, because every so often there was a dialogue choice so egregious it managed to break even their practiced aura of detachment.

There was another guy by the name of... Lyle Shnub who did a good LP, too. Had a few things to say about the representation of racism with their experience of racism.

Also, NORCO seems to have a narrator who maxed out their Shivers.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 6, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just finished a 5511 run.

In retrospect I shouldn't have gone for that necktie.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Breetai posted:

Just finished a 5511 run.

In retrospect I shouldn't have gone for that necktie.

Did you do the same thing as me?

Follow the tie all the way on its quest, then completely fluff the hand-eye coordination roll to throw the molotov. It was loving hilarious.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Party Boat posted:

Did you do the same thing as me?

Follow the tie all the way on its quest, then completely fluff the hand-eye coordination roll to throw the molotov. It was loving hilarious.

It sounds like he had very short run

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Staltran posted:

It sounds like he had very short run

First object I interacted with.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh, I'm an idiot haha.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

hot take, the RCM has an anarchist tinge to it despite being cops

no

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Day 2: went down to talk to the Hardie boys, chose the worst possible dialogue options and got myself killed lmao. Did the autopsy and basically got full marks like something straight out of True Detective except with more teenagers yelling obscenities. A very memorable scene. Also I am Cuno's pig now

Working theory on Who It Was What Did It Evrart's brother which explains why everybody is so eager to state that is was definitely Titus and his crew, no need to look further shut up Visual Calculus

I need to find the video store as disappointingly the pawn shop didn't have any tapes for me to sing karaoke.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Day 2: went down to talk to the Hardie boys, chose the worst possible dialogue options and got myself killed lmao. Did the autopsy and basically got full marks like something straight out of True Detective except with more teenagers yelling obscenities. A very memorable scene. Also I am Cuno's pig now

Working theory on Who It Was What Did It Evrart's brother which explains why everybody is so eager to state that is was definitely Titus and his crew, no need to look further shut up Visual Calculus

I need to find the video store as disappointingly the pawn shop didn't have any tapes for me to sing karaoke.

Sounds like a good trip so far. Keep at it, Detective!

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

is there any way at all to get the necktie to talk after the first day if you fail the initial hidden check

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hey does somebody have a screenshot of Encyclopedia going on a huge tangent about something and Harry saying "hey thanks any update on where my badge or gun is?" to a "no"? I need it for something

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Epic High Five posted:

hey does somebody have a screenshot of Encyclopedia going on a huge tangent about something and Harry saying "hey thanks any update on where my badge or gun is?" to a "no"? I need it for something

This it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's it, thanks!

God that whole interaction is just so crammed full of incredibly hilarious and amazing moments

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's a bit of a gut punch. Just like Contact Mike once suffered!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Epic High Five posted:

That's it, thanks!

God that whole interaction is just so crammed full of incredibly hilarious and amazing moments

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As a longstanding member of the Anti-Object Task Force it shouldn't be a surprise that I was unable to get into that door on my first playthrough

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somewhere, a mailbox shivers in fear. Or lust.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My friend (who had played previously) watched my playthrough and I kept going back to try and seduce the door every chance I got. He got annoyed with me because I was never gonna succeed until I finally did and the sheer :wtf: factor of it made it the highlight of my playthrough

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Anything I should know before playing this for the first time?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Don't be boring. Or do.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the only advice you should need is don't be afraid to fail checks. everything else is up to you. godspeed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lampsacus posted:

1) manual save a lot, the game does autosave but not often and some platforms still have occasional crashes
2) it's fine to do whatever with stats, but Psych and Physique both determine your HP/MP so i'd recommend a minimum of 2 in those to avoid every source of damage causing a potential game over
3) that's basically it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

Grab the map from the book shop to fast travel. To do so you need to be in the area around one of the other fast travel points. It's also disabled at certain points

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the fast travel is the most broken thing in the game which is impressive

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Lampsacus posted:

On Keyboard, F1 shows you a handy UI explainer and hotkey list.
You can heal while fatal damage is ticking down. Healing items are used by clicking (on mouse at least) on the orange and blue pluses over your portrait.
Boxes with grey outlines can often be opened if you have a prybar in your hand. (Finding the prybar is your own problem.)
Play it however you want. Be very blind, or look up everything. Pick a type and stay true to it or game it up and use clothing/drugs/xp to try and do as much as possible in one run. The game is designed to cope either way, IMO.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the fast travel is the most broken thing in the game which is impressive

Close - I think the brokenest thing is the map of available white checks that doesn't clear properly. Fast travel at least works in specific locations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Failing a red check is just succeeding in a different direction

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Was this posted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRdm5_fknk

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lampsacus posted:

When you run out of health or morale you have a few seconds to use a healing item before you get a game over.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Lampsacus posted:

The first instinct of a lot of players is to go for a well-rounded build (3333 or thereabouts) to cover all your bases. While I wouldn't say that's a *wrong* way to play, I'd suggest not to be afraid of picking more lopsided stats. The game truly shines when you're either unbelievably incompetent or impossibly skilled, and a run-of-the-mill skillset will make those occasions rarer. Best way to create your character is to go with what appeals to you from a roleplaying perspective rather than preemptively minmaxing for whatever you think will be most useful.

Setting your Psyche and/or Physique at 1 will mean that you'll get an instant gameover from any damage of that kind (mental or physical), but that only goes for the very start of the game (first hour or less?) since the game is extremely generous with both experience points (which you can use to upgrade your skills, including Volition and Endurance, which are the ones linked to your health pools) and healing items, which you can use even after you've taken lethal damage.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How long do the effects of smokes/drugs/alcohol last by the way? I think the game told me somewhere but I forgot..

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

While passive checks open up dialogue/things you wouldn't experience otherwise, you can chase that on subsequent playthoughs. Try to keep a bank of 1-2 skill points so that you have the option to immediately retry a white check or boost a particularly interesting red check or immediately start on a thought, rather than find yourself stonewalled on a particular thing and have to go off and do something else to get xp.

Manage your clothes inventory from the start according to type, you will appreciate this by the end.

I would tenatively suggest that if you aren't sure about unlocking a thought then it's okay to look it up on the wiki to see what it actually does and see if you care.

Some quests you get early on are impossible to progress until you reach certain unrelated milestones in other quests or time. Do not tunnel vision fixate on clearing the quest log, if something seems impossible (particularly if the quest log strongly hints it is) then just move on to the next thing.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 8, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SixFigureSandwich posted:

How long do the effects of smokes/drugs/alcohol last by the way? I think the game told me somewhere but I forgot..
If you have to ask, you’re not doing enough, baby!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Stock up on pain killers and anti-depressives before meeting Evrart.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/bovibaee/status/1523079870187593730?s=21&t=3EfloKOgGvEvTGJKHOq3Dg

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In a game that lets you ruin your life in creative and exciting ways, letting the player shave is going way too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ACAB, especially Kim - but especially Harry.