Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Morpheus posted:

You still earned equipment and such from dungeons in Link Between Worlds, but all the combat equipment that would've normally gated progress (ie bombs, bow, hookshot etc) could be rented/bought. It was great since you couldn't get it all at once but could pick and choose which equipment you wanted, and meant you could tackle dungeons in almost any order.

It also gave rupees a purpose and made dying s bit more of a threat.

sounds really bad. I want to earn my toys in a themed dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Twilight Princess

Incredible dungeon lineup, introduced whatever you wanna call the Twilight Palace/Ancient Hylia aesthetic, had a spaghetti western shootout sequence where you shoot goblins off balconies

also had some sequences where you play as a dog that people didn't dig, which is fair, but being a dog sometimes is still cool

Being a dog is cool! That's why Okami is a better Zelda game than Twilight Princess.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

What's the best platform to currently play Okami on? Asking for......a friend

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

roomtwofifteen posted:

What's the best platform to currently play Okami on? Asking for......a friend

the nintendo switch

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

An Actual Princess posted:

You still earn toys in themed dungeons.

Also there is some music that is absolutely my favourite in the series - the overworld music after you've collected the mcguffins in both the light and dark worlds changes, ostensibly only for the leadup to the final bosses, but it's full of pomp and weight and is awesome.

Like, compare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJvH4DH_KI

with, after getting all the bits and drawing the master sword:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7eknx7xqmo

Similarly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQTUa5Dryc
(which is also really good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgQz8XNV3M

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 6, 2022

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ponzicar posted:

Link to the Past is the perfection of the 2d formula.

This is the correctest take

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every zelda is good

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bleck posted:

Zelda 2 is innovative and deserves respect for its efforts but it is also quite frankly not very good.

I got Zelda 2 back when it was released, I was probably 6 or 7, and the game was absolutely impossible to figure out. (I even got the nintendo lawsuit coupon from it, which I used to buy 8 Eyes and Low G Man).

Zelda 2 was always an impossibility for me, so as a grown up I went through it again, and realized it's an absolute masterpiece, once you really get into it. They could have made Zelda 1.5: Here We Go Again. but instead they made something so different it blew everyones minds.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kirby with the sword ability is the best zelda

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Link between worlds owns so hard

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You should give it a shot. Don't get hung up on that one detail, it's a really solid Zelda game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm actually gonna agree that I thought LBW was pretty weak. The non-linearity is cool at first but the shop system sucks (there is no need to ever actually buy items because you will never die and have to rent them again) and every dungeon has to be designed as if you only have the one item it calls for, which massively stunts both the puzzle difficulty and the difficulty in general in the second half of the game. Also the upgrades you do get in dungeons are all things like mail upgrades and ore to upgrade your sword, if you enjoyed the idea of getting a new dungeon item and figuring out how/where to use it, you absolutely will not get that feeling here.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the storyline dungeons were also the worst part of breath of the wild imo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Artix posted:

I'm actually gonna agree that I thought LBW was pretty weak. The non-linearity is cool at first but the shop system sucks (there is no need to ever actually buy items because you will never die and have to rent them again) and every dungeon has to be designed as if you only have the one item it calls for, which massively stunts both the puzzle difficulty and the difficulty in general in the second half of the game. Also the upgrades you do get in dungeons are all things like mail upgrades and ore to upgrade your sword, if you enjoyed the idea of getting a new dungeon item and figuring out how/where to use it, you absolutely will not get that feeling here.

Conversely, having all the items available at the start means you're not railroaded between dungeon locations, seeing a new path or treasure that looks cool and constantly being led away from it because you haven't progressed far enough for it. You're held back by how well you can explore, not by the progress you've made in the game.

But, I can also see people preferring the usual LoZ formula. I just know that I was getting a little tired of it when LBW came out, and was entranced by the open-ness of it.

Honestly seeing all these posts about the game is making me get the itch to play it again, despite having beaten it twice already (on regular and hard mode), getting all the collectibles and hearts each time. Something about that game just really clicked with me.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the storyline dungeons were also the worst part of breath of the wild imo

I wish they'd had 40 of them and 10 the scale of the Castle

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

this is exactly why i didn't care for link between worlds

like it's a competent and cute game but it's very heavy on the nostalgia bait and just putting all the items right there for you to rent instead of finding through progression made it a much less fun experience for me than other zelds

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Y'all are tripping BAD homies, albw was better than alttp and I love alttp

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
an interesting opinion

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Finally, a post about zelda that nobody will agree with

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
I think we can all agree that the best zelda game is Cadence of Hyrule.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nah too short and unengaging

Cute game and awesome idea but I was done with it in like 2 days? The randomizer hurt more than it helped imo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lttp is one of my least favorite zeldas by default since I've always found it way too boring to finish

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Triangle Strategy, and it's been great fun so far. Though I ran some numbers in my head and it looks like I can only 100% upgrade and promote all units to maximum during a New Game+ (or do a lot more grinding then I'm willing to do) :lol:

The greatest fun I had so far is tied between:

a) A siege in which you can use traps in your castle to obliterate the enemy ( I managed to charcoalize over 2/3rds of the enemy units, including their general) :allears:

b) A vote in which I went in utterly convinced to make everyone agree to accept aid from a nearby lord, only for my units to slowly convince me through dialog mid-way through that that was actually bad, so I didn't reload when the majority voted against me :allears:

So far so good, now we have to fight said lord because he is a huge piece of poo poo after all, ha ha

The voting system is the best. I wish more games had the ability to troll the player by letting their NPCs vote against them.

Edit:

Or writing that good, for that matter.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 6, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like oracle of ages and oracle of seasons

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I played most of Subspace Emissary in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as Link so I could pretend Nintendo made a better Zelda 2

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-VX0wUwbjE

Accurate.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Link Between Worlds is definitely better than LttP, y’all are tripping.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish they'd re-release Infinite Space

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

every zelda is good

Triforce Heroes? The CD-I Zelda games?

Four Swords when you have no one else to play the game with?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The whole Zelda debate is basically a broad vs focused design preference. In Breath of the Wild (and in a minor sense ALBW), you have total freedom on where to go at any moment and can do everything, even the endgame, right after the tutorial area... but because you can do everything at any time, the devs have to design the content around the stuff you have right after the beggining, and anything else you can get is completely optional or, at most, reduces significantly the difficulty. In BotW you ultimately do stuff because you want to, not have to (which is also the policy for most Nintendo first parties tbh).

Older Zeldas followed a more focused design where you have a critical path to follow and a bit of exploration in the overworlds. As a result dungeons and the such are more involved because the devs know exactly what you will have. But the lack of freedom can be a turn off for players and feel like you are just following a checklist and a line.

It's up to personal taste. For me I dislike Breath of the Wild because I don't really have a drive for exploring and I actually really enjoy getting new gimzos in my Zelda games, and also my attention span is null but also likes completing things so open worlds either bore me or drive me insane with collectables. But I won't deny BotW is a great game and people who like it have good taste. It's just not mine, I've never even got past the Plateau surroundings.

That said the comment about new paths or treasures in ALBW is dumb AF, in both it and ALTTP you either have the item and can do it or don't have the item and have to come back later, the only difference is in ALBW you can go get it earlier but woe is you if you need multiple items (and I'm pretty sure there's stuff that needs multiple which requires buying them after Dark World).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I never played The Oracle games. Mostly because they came out at a time when I didn't have a disposable income of my own (what with being 12 and not having a job) and most of the adults around me were like "Aren't you getting too old for that?".

It was probably a miracle how I managed to get a Link's Awakening DX otherwise I might have had to wait until the Switch remake to actually play it.

...Actually I also never played Breath of the Wild because the prospects of a massive open world with the objectives not given to you are very daunting.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd like to replay the Oracle games but I'm convinced Nintendo is going to remake them. Can't go back to the item juggling after the LA remake

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zuzie posted:

I never played The Oracle games. Mostly because they came out at a time when I didn't have a disposable income of my own (what with being 12 and not having a job) and most of the adults around me were like "Aren't you getting too old for that?".

It was probably a miracle how I managed to get a Link's Awakening DX otherwise I might have had to wait until the Switch remake to actually play it.

...Actually I also never played Breath of the Wild because the prospects of a massive open world with the objectives not given to you are very daunting.

You do have an objective though. The objective is 'Defeat Ganon'. Even got a waypoint and everything.

(Really though you do have actual objectives to follow, all the exploratory stuff is just extra)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zuzie posted:

There are objectives in botw. Pretty basic and straightforward ones. This isn't a complaint, fyi.

E:f;b.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KingSlime posted:

Nah too short and unengaging

Cute game and awesome idea but I was done with it in like 2 days? The randomizer hurt more than it helped imo

Agreed.

You did play NecroDancer, right? Definitely a much better implementation from a mechanical perspective. And some of the songs are better too.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

KingSlime posted:

Y'all are tripping BAD homies, albw was better than alttp and I love alttp

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Link Between Worlds is definitely better than LttP, y’all are tripping.

...You know what?

Yeah.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Switch has too many decent games to spend time on mediocrity like BotW.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Artix posted:

(there is no need to ever actually buy items because you will never die and have to rent them again)

You can tell this person never actually played LBW because anybody who did knows that rented items can't be upgraded by Mother Maiamai.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best Zelda is Zelda.

endocriminologist posted:

U could probably do a sick 2d Zelda game using the Zelda 2 formula tbh but the state of the art was not there yet

They did eventually make a good Zelda 2, it's called Phoenotopia: Awakening.

e: And hey, it's on sale!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
People have a fondness for The Minish Cap and while I enjoyed it when I played it, it always felt a little weirdly off-model to me. I also haven't played any of the Four Swords stuff.

They should bring all the Zeldas to the Switch though and stop gatekeeping them.