Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Telegraph mad about some extremely specific scenarios here

https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1522279771857727497

e: 181 chav offspring got accepted to Oxbridge ahead of my extremely smart angels who required extensive tutoring and socks to pass primary school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mebh posted:

We had an SDP candidate here. When i Google them they say left leaning. Wikipedia says Centre left. Their website says nationalistic pride, flags and family values. Bleeeeh

The current SDP is not a descendent of the former SDP, which was basically 80s ChangeUK and therefore still bad. The current lot are basically fash afaik. Their only representative in any parliament anywhere has been this chap https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_O%27Flynn who came from UKIP and writes for the Spectator apparently which should tell you all you need to know.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Voted green, my ward just went from Con Con Lib to Lib Lib Green.

It's a nice and novel feeling to put an X next to a name and actually have them win a seat.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's Mason Time!

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1522451166394818561?t=0IgAvUvpV-QnqXhPBk92ZA&s=19

A vote for Labour is a vote to endorse Starmerisation (qué?), definitely not a holding of noses.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 6, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

Cheers, did you ever decide to do that watercolour by the way? I remember seeing some of the ones you painted before and they were very nice.

Aw thank you! I have been lax in my arting lately but I have a little imgur folder with a bunch of your photos in it so it's gonna happen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jumbly Crundyns only appeals to Londoners, anyone else would appeal more to real Britons (White people)

I have been informed that actually the poo poo alcoholic lawyer does not count as anyone

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Starmer's Labour is doing worse than Corbyn's Labour because it's still recovering from the horrible impact of Corbyn. My article in the guardian.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Diorama posted:

Voted green, my ward just went from Con Con Lib to Lib Lib Green.

It's a nice and novel feeling to put an X next to a name and actually have them win a seat.

I actually went through my voting history last week. I have never voted for a candidate that won, I seem to always live in areas with strong tory presence.
Still waiting on the results but I don't think 'spoilt ballot' has much of a chance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I actually went through my voting history last week. I have never voted for a candidate that won, I seem to always live in areas with strong tory presence.
Still waiting on the results but I don't think 'spoilt ballot' has much of a chance.

I have voted for a winning candidate twice I think at Westminster. Once you get to Holyrood and local it's different coz of PR.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This is like as high Tory a ward as you get in Scotland and their vote share has dropped almost 16%.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1522495425600704512?t=vPmzXFlWlr9x7gUpmtdH8g

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Looks like the spin on the losses oop Nort' is that it's down to Tory voters going Lib Dem, not Labour's fault, nothing they could have done really

I mean it's not like Kieth has been DELIBERATELY TRYING TO COURT TORY SWING VOTERS TO THE EXCLUSION OF EVERYBODY ELSE, is it. Clearly the only winning strategy is to do the same thing, but harder (ps don't look at how the Greens are doing plz)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Tweeddale is a village off postman pat, Starmer now counting fictional elections to discredit the tories, shameful

Oct 4, 2005

Borrovan posted:

Looks like the spin on the losses oop Nort' is that it's down to Tory voters going Lib Dem, not Labour's fault, nothing they could have done really

I mean it's not like Kieth has been DELIBERATELY TRYING TO COURT TORY SWING VOTERS TO THE EXCLUSION OF EVERYBODY ELSE, is it. Clearly the only winning strategy is to do the same thing, but harder (ps don't look at how the Greens are doing plz)

Doesn't it just make you so tired? Its never their fault.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Personally I blame the British electorate for not embracing an electable candidate when presented with one.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gorn Myson posted:

Personally I blame the British electorate for not embracing an electable candidate when presented with one.

Stop trying to steal my spot in the Guardian!

But yeah, these results are bad and I hope that the Labour Right end up loving themselves over somehow with this.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

It's Mason Time!

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1522451166394818561?t=0IgAvUvpV-QnqXhPBk92ZA&s=19

A vote for Labour is a vote to endorse Starmerisation (qué?), definitely not a holding of noses.

Lmao Starmer is explicitly pro climate change. He's literally trying to make protest against climate change illegal.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Haha the Greens just won first preferences for Langside ward in Glasgow (they were 4th last time). Seems like a big deal since that's the current council leader's ward.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Excited to keep everyone up to date with results in Britain's largest local authority. So far 3 results in

Caol & Mallaig only had 3 candidates and all 3 got elected which is funny, so that's Green, Lib & Tory
Inverness West elected SNP & Lib at stage 1 and Green at stage 9
Inverness Ness-Side elected SNP & Lib at stage 1 & Labour at stage 7

So there you go

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

Haha the Greens just won first preferences for Langside ward in Glasgow (they were 4th last time). Seems like a big deal since that's the current council leader's ward.

That sounds like a great sign for the Greens in Glasgow, they were my first preference in my ward. I'm sort of both surprised and not, I don't think I've ever met a Glaswegian who thought the council was doing a good job, ever, and the failure of the SNP to change that perception may have left many SNP voters looking for other options?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

My favourite Bible verse that, the one where Lazarus storms through the marathon finishing line in first

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm fairly confident that Lazarus never won an olympic gold, so that's actually a great analogy (and also because starmer looks like a loving corpse)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Reveilled posted:

That sounds like a great sign for the Greens in Glasgow, they were my first preference in my ward. I'm sort of both surprised and not, I don't think I've ever met a Glaswegian who thought the council was doing a good job, ever, and the failure of the SNP to change that perception may have left many SNP voters looking for other options?

https://twitter.com/EuanYours/status/1522528291541991425?t=GwdrUrnZDUyKvBjtDIyrDQ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Mount Olympus will not come to Lot's wife, then Ganesha must go to the mountain. :thunk:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Telegraph mad about some extremely specific scenarios here

https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1522279771857727497

What I think is really revealing about these made-up scenarios is that the case for the striving middle class kids being allowed a place at Cambridge rests entirely on what their parents did - their parents did all thr right things and ticked all the right boxes, so the kids should be a shoo-in for the right college at the right university.

Perhaps Cambridge doesn't want some kids who needed years of tutoring to pass the 11-plus? Perhaps - horror of horrors - the single mum's kids were brighter and displayed more potential and the sort of drive and thinking that Oxbridge seeks, and which a lot of spoon-fed middle class kids with perfect grades actually really struggle with once they're there?

People are always so revealing when they create hypotheticals. Like that column in the Telegraph about how 'they' were going to ban private cars and it would basically be like the Kyhmer Rouge or something. And it ended with "they want us all living in diverse, walkable urban centres where everything you need is within a 15 minute journey and you have no need to leave. That's the new vision of hell."

Don't threaten me with a good time...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Caol & Mallaig only had 3 candidates and all 3 got elected which is funny, so that's Green, Lib & Tory

There wasn't an SNP candidate in a Highlands ward? Did they just elect everyone who lives there, or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

What I think is really revealing about these made-up scenarios is that the case for the striving middle class kids being allowed a place at Cambridge rests entirely on what their parents did - their parents did all thr right things and ticked all the right boxes, so the kids should be a shoo-in for the right college at the right university.
So much right wing rhetoric makes far more sense when you interpret 'family values' and 'traditional culture' as 'hereditary privilege'. Like even more so than reading it as 'being white' or 'patriarchy' (because those are in turn how hereditary privilege propagates itself.)

They can't outright say "what if we could still own people and only gentry were allowed university" so they don't focus on the upper end, instead stirring up hypothetical middle class outrage against the imagined lower class to wedge it, and you can't outright say it's a matter of family and breeding (yet) so you talk about single mothers and dog breeds. But it's all pining for a return to pre-liberal aristocracy.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hoping for a last minute surge for write-in candidate Wizard Master

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

Perhaps Cambridge doesn't want some kids who needed years of tutoring to pass the 11-plus? Perhaps - horror of horrors - the single mum's kids were brighter and displayed more potential and the sort of drive and thinking that Oxbridge seeks, and which a lot of spoon-fed middle class kids with perfect grades actually really struggle with once they're there?

People are always so revealing when they create hypotheticals. Like that column in the Telegraph about how 'they' were going to ban private cars and it would basically be like the Kyhmer Rouge or something. And it ended with "they want us all living in diverse, walkable urban centres where everything you need is within a 15 minute journey and you have no need to leave. That's the new vision of hell."

Don't threaten me with a good time...

If someone manages straight As at a run down comp where nobody has got into uni since the dark ages, I'd be much more impressed by them than by someone who buys their way into good grades like this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

There wasn't an SNP candidate in a Highlands ward? Did they just elect everyone who lives there, or something?

Sounds like it. I mean it is the west coast.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

1965917 posted:

Doesn't it just make you so tired? Its never their fault.
The Labour party has never failed, it can only ever be failed. Everything is somebody else's fault. Keith is sensible and electable, the population and the pundits and the membership will see it any day now!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The Labour party has never failed, it can only ever be failed. Everything is somebody else's fault. Keith is sensible and electable, the population and the pundits and the membership will see it any day now!

Just like Boris is always saying we should "wait and see" whenever he is caught breaking the law, or its always to soon to play politics or already to far in the past.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Some more Highland results for your delectation
Inverness Milburn returns SNP, Liberal & Tory
Inverness Central returns to SNP & 1 Liberal
Culloden and Ardersier elects 1 SNP, 1 Liberal, 1 independent
Inverness South elects 1 SNP, 1 Lib, 1 independent, 1 Tory

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/evansma/status/1522542734267015174?t=SUhtpxEvur9reSarLg9ozg&s=19

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Excited to keep everyone up to date with results in Britain's largest local authority. So far 3 results in

Inverness West elected SNP & Lib at stage 1 and Green at stage 9
Inverness Ness-Side elected SNP & Lib at stage 1 & Labour at stage 7

So there you go

And because Highland Council are letting me down with "this is the change" I've done the research myself

Caol & Mallaig, that's +1 for Green & Liberal, -2 Independent
Inverness West, +1 Green, -1 Independent
Inverness Ness-side, +1 Labour, -1 Tory
Inverness Milburn, No change
Inverness Central, +1 SNP, -1 Independent
Culloden & Ardersier, No change (well, it's a different Independent but the make up hasn't changed)
Inverness South, No change

Also useful fact, when you talk to all your friends about the Caol & Mallaig result, remember that Caol is pronounced "cool" because Gaelic

And breaking news: Nairn & Cawdor result is in, Independent & SNP stage 1, Independent stage 5, Tory stage 8, which is no overall change from 2017

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 6, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Absolutely the perfect end to that idiot's career is if the one single issue he manages to take a stand on is covid parties, and all the righteous anger he's managed to stoke in the population is instantly reflected back in his face.

The only downside is that we may yet see PM McShitter.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Absolutely the perfect end to that idiot's career is if the one single issue he manages to take a stand on is covid parties, and all the righteous anger he's managed to stoke in the population is instantly reflected back in his face.

The only downside is that we may yet see PM McShitter.

Wonder if that's why he's been looking even more uncomfortable than usual in recent interviews: he knows that there's even more stuff that hasn't come out yet and he keeps expecting to get ambushed with it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I love that they waited until after the election so Keith's fan brigade can't use the BUT IT'S AN ELECTION!!! card.

I hope he gets sent to jail rehab.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Who took that video through a window anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Who took that video through a window anyway?

Jinabby Cobbin