Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Rime posted:

From the AI Art thread:

where is the AI art thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Slow News Day posted:

ive been in london for the past two weeks and lol there's a surprising amount of nature here, and the air is startlingly clean

If you're still here please see the stone henge exhibit at the British Museum. It's less about stone henge and more about life in general back then, and it is very good.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Hahaha

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

when people make the "Things used to be worse" argument they are usually talking about either their romanticized idea of poo poo like their childhood or frontier times or they are going back to medieval times when we had plagues and mass famines on a more regular basis when there was no modern medicine. Nerds might bring up something like the bronze age collapse.

Global biosphere collapse is a mass extinction which humans have never lived through. There was never a point before now where people had their children and then experienced a complete collapse of the global biosphere. Unless you count dinosaurs and trilobites having children.

To be fair, there have been plenty of situations where someone's entire world ended. If you lived in Florence in 1348, or Hispaniola in 1492, or Tasmania in 1828, your odds of reaching old age were probably even worse than an American in 2022.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

what a great forum. the different communities coming together to help each other is so heartwarming. the people who need a respirator to breathe in the acrid smoke of the endlessly burning dying planet can rely on the advice from the people protecting themselves from the deadly highly transmissible respiratory pandemic spreading unchecked through the population. really makes you optimistic about the future

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
how many microplastics/nanoplastics come loose during the filtration process for masks

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
i loving hate this thread

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

err posted:

where is the AI art thread?
There's one specifically for AI art in GBS, and one for procedural generation in general in PYF

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oolb posted:

it’s what it’s :rubby:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Oolb posted:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

putting on my Biosphere Collapse Thread goggles

huh, everything is increasingly becoming bleaker, hotter, and deader.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Oolb posted:

This thread is the cause of and solution to all the problems in the other threads

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

kyojin posted:

This thread is the cause of and solution to all the problems in the other threads

lol

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

kyojin posted:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

kyojin posted:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
[Biosphere Collapse] cause of and solution to all the problems in the other threads

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Covid and climate change are closely related, the first was a test run to see how the West would deal with the second and shows that we'll never succeed in even slightly mitigating the coming apocalypse

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

T-Paine posted:

Covid and climate change are closely related, the first was a test run to see how the West would deal with the second and shows that we'll never succeed in even slightly mitigating the coming apocalypse

Lol for real, my climate collapse forecasting and planning is heavily (entirely?) influenced by what we all saw during COVID

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Birding has been a passion of mine and used to be something that always brought me such joy in life.

I love birds so much and it's killing me. Birding isn't the solace it used to be and instead breaks my heart more and more.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you're still here please see the stone henge exhibit at the British Museum. It's less about stone henge and more about life in general back then, and it is very good.

yeah going today actually! will report back

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Enfys posted:

Birding has been a passion of mine and used to be something that always brought me such joy in life.

I love birds so much and it's killing me. Birding isn't the solace it used to be and instead breaks my heart more and more.

sorry that birdwatching is depressing but you can always try plasticwatching

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

TeenageArchipelago posted:

In lead exposure chat

I think about this a lot. The factory that I used to work at did a lot with brass, and for ~1 year I was handling freshly machined brass parts ~250 times/day.

I got owned lol

quote:

Moreover, I would strongly advise not bringing children anywhere near the vicinity of any key-cutting area of any store — as the Lead dust levels on the floors and other horizontal surfaces are likely be dangerously high

lol my green grocer is right next to a key cutting shop his brother runs

I love learning

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

kyojin posted:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"way to waste the planets resources!!!" @ any child haver

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ELTON JOHN posted:

sorry that birdwatching is depressing but you can always try plasticwatching

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Enfys posted:

knowing that you are part of a species wide system that is destroying everything you’ve ever cared about or found joy in actually rules. it’s super great actually. lmao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

cum jabbar posted:

"way to waste the planets resources!!!" @ any child haver
[Biosphere Collapse] Eat poo poo, Sexhavers

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

kyojin posted:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

burn baby burn

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1522531025368326144

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Broke: this machine kills fascists

Woke: this ecofascist kills machines

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

To be fair, there have been plenty of situations where someone's entire world ended. If you lived in Florence in 1348, or Hispaniola in 1492, or Tasmania in 1828, your odds of reaching old age were probably even worse than an American in 2022.

People all over the world today have a measurable worse time having children then Americans too which is why it's a complete waste of time to atomize the subject down into measuring the specifics of different time periods like that, which is what the people arguing for having children do.

We are talking about a species wide biosphere collapse. It doesn't matter if a cave woman's baby was snatched by a sabertooth and it doesn't matter if a medieval child was being born into a plague. It's completely different and not comparable. If you try to make it comparable by claiming that children born to the easter island collapse experienced their own "world" collapsing due to radical shifts in the local biosphere the better question is why you are twisting yourself into pretzels like that to try and make that academic point.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
If you are a child haver who regularly reads this thread then your amygdala is either made of steel or made of soup and either way goddamn I salute you

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I love poo poo like this because it means earth could fly out of it's orbit and crash into Jupiter or something and we could never predict it

stop giving me hope, its very cruel

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

kyojin posted:

If you are a child haver who regularly reads this thread then your amygdala is either made of steel or made of soup and either way goddamn I salute you
Talking to otherwise clued-in child havers reminds me of when I used to harangue milgoons on this forum. Deep down they know how evil and wrong they are, and they respond by trying to clumsily laugh along with you (har har I sure am a babykiller! LOL) or completely denying and compartmentalizing that aspect of their existence, as if the decision to reproduce came from someone they no longer are and can't do anything about. Real psychology 101 type poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

T-Paine posted:

Talking to otherwise clued-in child havers reminds me of when I used to harangue milgoons on this forum. Deep down they know how evil and wrong they are, and they respond by trying to clumsily laugh along with you (har har I sure am a babykiller! LOL) or completely denying and compartmentalizing that aspect of their existence, as if the decision to reproduce came from someone they no longer are and can't do anything about. Real psychology 101 type poo poo

well then

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
har har I sure am a babyhaver! LOL

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

har har I sure am a babyhaver! LOL

Durr!! :a2m:Look at me producing the things that will both cause and suffer the most from the coming apocalypse! Hurf de durf:dumbbravo:

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
The absolute worst is when babyhavers start to fall back on the "we need to make babies because we need more of the Good Guys around for whats coming" as if our moral imperative here is to just spawn more soldiers to probably just "Vote!" for a better future and win against the CEO of climate change and Everything Bad and not... you know, dying of a rusted knife stab wound over a can of beans.

This allows you to then act morally superior to defeatist doomers because they're not supporting the cause and are not Producing the change, literally, by making more humans to just vote the bad poo poo away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

“babyhavers” is some reddit–level poo poo