Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

phosdex posted:

Icloud photo keeps not uploading new photos, instead it has a message that it's paused to save battery power. This is a 1.5 month old iphone 13 pro and it says that even with full battery.

Yeah mine does that too and it's a bit annoying. I'll be at 90% charge. 6 month old 13 Pro and still at 100% battery health though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

You want this for AirTags on pets that go outside.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

phosdex posted:

Icloud photo keeps not uploading new photos, instead it has a message that it's paused to save battery power. This is a 1.5 month old iphone 13 pro and it says that even with full battery.

I’ve started getting the same message.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Do you have low power mode in battery settings enabled?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is there a way to figure out why my iPhone backups are so big? Is it just the size of the straight up phone information that is taking so much space? My apps are mostly turned off but the ones that are turned on are not taking up more than 56mb.

Whenever it showed before I delegated my last back up, it showed the next backup size would be 160mb. Now, after deleting the last back up, it shows 5 Gb.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xarph posted:

You want this for AirTags on pets that go outside.

Oh poo poo, thanks!

“Order today - Ships April 7”

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Do the newer silicone cases that go all the way around the bottom have plastic all the way around inside the silicone or do they eventually get stretched and weird

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Not really an iphone question but I figure maybe people in this thread will know - can I just walk into an Apple Store and hand them two old macbooks to recycle? Or will they make me set up a genius appointment and/or wait for someone to assist me?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not really an iphone question but I figure maybe people in this thread will know - can I just walk into an Apple Store and hand them two old macbooks to recycle? Or will they make me set up a genius appointment and/or wait for someone to assist me?

From my last couple trips to an Apple Store you need an appointment for pretty much everything except buying something off the shelf. You could just walk up but they’ll have to schedule a time for you unless they aren’t busy.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Could someone explain how apple family sharing works please?

I want to put my parents on my paid icloud so that they can use the extra storage, but- can they see all of the files/photos etc that I have on there, or is it totally separate?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Taima posted:

Could someone explain how apple family sharing works please?

I want to put my parents on my paid icloud so that they can use the extra storage, but- can they see all of the files/photos etc that I have on there, or is it totally separate?

Totally separate but they share storage quota and there's a "family" shared album in photos that lets them see what anyone manually puts in there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Also, certain things like share purchases are on by default.
Being able to use apps for free that other people own is nice, but it will funnel all their purchases through your payment method.

phosdex posted:

I think this is general behaviour where it won't upload photos unless you're plugged in and on wifi.
You can "unpause" it manually for a while.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Any one else have issues with Wi-Fi on their phone? Using a 13 pro and I keep loosing data unless I go cellular. At this point I’ve gotten a replacement device through Apple, changed ISP, got a new router and setup a new network but I’m still constantly having to turn WiFi off and on again. My wife doesn’t seem to have the issue on her exact same phone, but I didn’t even restore from backup on the replacement I got and still have issues.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

stoopidmunkey posted:

Any one else have issues with Wi-Fi on their phone? Using a 13 pro and I keep loosing data unless I go cellular. At this point I’ve gotten a replacement device through Apple, changed ISP, got a new router and setup a new network but I’m still constantly having to turn WiFi off and on again. My wife doesn’t seem to have the issue on her exact same phone, but I didn’t even restore from backup on the replacement I got and still have issues.

Yep! Seems to be an issue with all of our iOS devices (iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro, iPad mini 6). Haven’t bothered with even attempting a fix honestly

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've not run into this issue in a long time. Here's something to try, just because it's how I have my home wifi setup (I am not a network expert so YMMV):

In your router settings, create separate wifi networks for your 2.4 GHZ and 5GHZ. Then connect your phone to one or the other and forget the other just for good measure.

Most routers by default, use one wifi network for both and will 'intelligently' switch devices between both frequencies based on whatever criteria they use. I suspect this causes issues with some devices. It's also possible that one of those frequencies is getting interference so if your device is on the impacted frequency, you'll have issues. If that's the case then separating them out will at least help you narrow it down.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Oh that’s a real good call. Our main router is an Eero and it definitely does that! Good to know

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That is a good call out. One of many cases where 'intelligent' switching causes unexpected problematic behavior. I like keeping 2 separate networks as you mentioned, 1 for 5G.

Things like my Nest thermostat or Roku TV may require the non-5G network, I can't remember, but for when people come over you just need to tell them to use the 5G one.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, I use separate SSID's for 2.5ghz and 5ghz, and only allow my apple poo poo to remember the 5ghz because they love to connect to the dog-slow 2.5ghz band instead. The signal is stronger in the further corners of my house but the bandwidth it actually achieves is still far lower

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Cracked my 8 plus screen after these many years. It's along the edge and not really in the viewing area so hardly noticeable but you can feel the edge with your finger. Is there a preferred vendor or version of screen protector that I should get to keep my fingers safe from glass shards?

Or are they all the same and just buy the cheapest one on Amazon?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Murgos posted:

Cracked my 8 plus screen after these many years. It's along the edge and not really in the viewing area so hardly noticeable but you can feel the edge with your finger. Is there a preferred vendor or version of screen protector that I should get to keep my fingers safe from glass shards?

get a tempered glass one, the new iphone se ones will fit your 8 as it's the same screen size

i personally like spigen's tempered glass screen protectors

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Oh that’s a real good call. Our main router is an Eero and it definitely does that! Good to know

Eero rules.

Except forcing firmware updates on you when you’re probably on a video conference. Or when your toddlers are asleep and you’re playing white noise on a HomePod mini at night. Or when you’re watching hockey or football.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Eero rules.

Except forcing firmware updates on you when you’re probably on a video conference. Or when your toddlers are asleep and you’re playing white noise on a HomePod mini at night. Or when you’re watching hockey or football.

Actually sounds like it's poo poo OP

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve had an eero system for maybe 2 years and that has absolutely never happened.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The Dave posted:

I’ve had an eero system for maybe 2 years and that has absolutely never happened.

It has happened to me many times, usually late at night but not always.

Eero should let you schedule firmware updates but they don't, they'd rather cram them down your Internet whenever they like.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hmm, very weird. I’m home all day working remotely and either in meetings or presenting in meetings all the time, so I’m rather thankful I’ve never experienced that.

The only thing annoying me lately is it seems to have Issues recognizing devices it’s seen before and I’ll get a push notification for a new device joining the network when I’ve given it a nickname and all that already.

I have a 6 pro with 3 units and it doesn’t a pretty drat good job considering I’m using it across a 3200sq ft house and it needs to deal with some fieldstone walls.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Anton Chigurh posted:

Eero should let you schedule firmware updates but they don't, they'd rather cram them down your Internet whenever they like.

https://community.eero.com/t/k9ftfq/scheduled-updates it’s been on there for four years. At least it’s marked as “under consideration”, but who knows if that means next month or 2026.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Murgos posted:

We sell Casper and Nuglass screen protectors, both tempered glass at I believe .03mm thickness. I'd point you in those brands directions they seem to do great work.

A lot of Amazon tempered glass is dogshit in my experience, especially when you get those '2 for 20!!' packs but it all depends on the brand. Don't buy cheap plastic ones, your screen will have touch issues, your phone will have thermal issues, and in general they are useless for anything but the faintest scratch protection

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Dave posted:

Hmm, very weird. I’m home all day working remotely and either in meetings or presenting in meetings all the time, so I’m rather thankful I’ve never experienced that.

The only thing annoying me lately is it seems to have Issues recognizing devices it’s seen before and I’ll get a push notification for a new device joining the network when I’ve given it a nickname and all that already.

I have a 6 pro with 3 units and it doesn’t a pretty drat good job considering I’m using it across a 3200sq ft house and it needs to deal with some fieldstone walls.

Apple products are set to “private,” and typically will connect to eero as a new device aster every iOS update. Yes, it’s annoying to manage that if you profile everything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is the first time Ive seen this UwU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone else having a bunch of issues with some notifications either being super late or not coming in at all? Persisted past reboot, checked settings etc. iOS 15.4.1 on an XR. Main culprits seem to have been WhatsApp and Facebook for me.

Anyone? It's been over a week and I'm still missing a fuckton of notifications. Luckily I'm signed into WA on the computer during the day so I'm catching things, but a notification from 6pm last night never came through at all and I didn't see it until this morning. Infuriating.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/05/the-music-lives-on/

Apple today officially discontinued the iPod Touch, but you can still buy them 'while supplies last.'

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

RIP iPod. It's dumb to gush about consumer electronics, but the iPod was one of the coolest loving thing ever. Remember the U2 version? Or when HP briefly sold re-badged iPods? Or when Steve had one of those press conferences normally used for announcing new products just to tell us that iTunes finally had the Beatles catalog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I only ever had one iPod, a 160GB Classic that I got in like 2010. Prior to that, I'd had a Toshiba Gigabeat S (the 60GB model, I believe). I definitely preferred the iPod's interface. I completely filled that thing up with music and it lasted me for several years until I eventually started filling up my iPhone with music (which I did until I started using Spotify in like late 2016 I think).

RIP iPod. You served me well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I remember trying out a friend's iPod 3G in high school and knew I had to have one instantly. A couple months of scrapping money together and I finally had my own 15GB iPod 3G. It's what made me buy my first Powerbook for undergrad, and I haven't stopped using Apple devices ever since.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I had a U2 iPod which I loved for a bit then I got a Zune and never went back to iPods.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iPod was what finally got me to fix the metadata on my MP3 library.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah those fake Weird Al parodies from Napster aren't gonna rename themselves.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

I had a U2 iPod which I loved for a bit then I got a Zune and never went back to iPods.

I’ve heard of you, the guy that ditched the iPod for a Zune. I thought it was a myth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah those fake Weird Al parodies from Napster aren't gonna rename themselves.

Listen, I will enjoy Phish - Gin and Juice forever, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I spent sooooooooooooo much time editing tags lmao

I needed to have everything just right!