Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006

solarNativity posted:

I think the point is that the Netherlands is so good for bikes, it doesn't matter if your bike is 60-pound turn-of-the-century piece of poo poo with no real brakes. Their infrastructure is so strong that they see nothing wrong with this, and even somehow get the idea that it's better.

This is part of the point, yes. With the infrastructure and culture around bikes, a lot of concerns you'd have in other places are irrelevant. And optimizing for zero maintenance when your bike lives outside and it rains constantly changes the balance on some designs.

I certainly wouldn't ride a dutch bike anywhere else without a front brake. They undeniably provide more braking power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

solarNativity posted:

Hearing the Dutch talk about bikes is like hearing the 1% talk about money. It's just not relevant to the rest of the world.
It's not relevant because we made it not relevant by designing our infrastructure that way. I mean sure, on hills you will need a proper brake and gears, but our entire best practices design of roads took decades of willful development towards the current situation, learning and improving along the way, allowing safe movement with the most rickety of bike (and you will come across some sketchy rear end bikes in the Netherlands).

I'm sure many here are familiar with Not Just Bikes and similar channels so you'll know that the Netherlands was on a path to automotive hell in the 60s until we decided to change it. It's a long path, Copenhagen is a good example of a place where they are working on changing it but not quite there yet, but it's certainly not impossible in most places as long as the political will is there. R1 zoning sucks a big fat poo poo and would be a good step to move away from for starters. Also proper driving education.

Leandros fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 6, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Leandros posted:

I'm sure many here are familiar with Not Just Bikes and similar channels so you'll know that the Netherlands was on a path to automotive hell in the 60s until we decided to change it. It's a long path, Copenhagen is a good example of a place where they are working on changing it but not quite there yet, but it's certainly not impossible in most places as long as the political will is there. R1 zoning sucks a big fat poo poo and would be a good step to move away from for starters. Also proper driving education.

Fun fact about Copenhagen and its bike infrastructure: In the 60s when making highways was all the rage the Copenhagen municipality wanted in on the action, they were broke so made bicycle infrastructure instead as it costs a fraction of car infrastructure.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Leandros posted:

the Netherlands was on a path to automotive hell in the 60s until we decided to change it. It's a long path
80 years of investment later, bikes are as fake to you as money is to Jerry Jones. We are the 99% (of cyclists who aren't dutch)

more on-topic I bet the actual act of building cycling infrastructure is safer than traditional roadwork. Unless it's just linepainting, then everybody's hosed.

e: performance is safety when there's no infrastructure and you're riding on 40mph roads at a minimum. reducing traffic speed shear and strong brakes become a lot more important.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 6, 2022

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Also those Dutch bikes have a lot of other features that are great on a commuter bike and surprisingly rare elsewhere.

Sure the heavy frame and crap brakes aren't ideal, but hub gears are fantastic (no maintenance, no chain dropping and stationary gear changes are all great for a commuter bike, and worth losing 21 gear combos). I wish my bike had a fully enclosed chain too, that would save a bunch of maintenance and reduce how often I get bike grease on me.

Hell, many of the bikes sold around me don't even come with mudguards and cargo racks. I had to fit my own aftermarket ones.

There's definitely some truth to the thrust of that video that commuter bikes aren't nearly as available in other parts of the world.

I ride my bike to work so it's OSHA relevant. Ish.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

TIL grandma bikes and hub gears are not as common as I thought.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

solarNativity posted:

more on-topic I bet the actual act of building cycling infrastructure is safer than traditional roadwork. Unless it's just linepainting, then everybody's hosed.

It is much more, and it's not even geared to just bikes, just non-automotive in general. If you don't already I really recommend you check out Not Just bikes.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

MisterOblivious posted:

Sure. We can do helmet chat!

Virginia Tech just released an updated list of tested helmets. It's a massive increase compared to their last study. If you choose to wear a helmet this is a great resource:

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Helmet certification standards are loving pitiful. This level of independent testing being made public is unprecedented. Note: they weight rotational protection really highly so the list pushes MIPS helmets upwards a lot.

MIPS helmets were a direct result of Michael shumacher being turned into a vegetable as his GoPro mount on his ski helmet caused massive rotational forces.

Any improvement to helmets is a good thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kanonvandekempen posted:

This is from waaaaaay back, but one of the issues that led up to the stonewall riots is the fact that it was illegal to own a gay/lesbian bar, which meant all gay/lesbian bars were underground, mob-run places (that all paid of the local police off course) which were indeed not up to code with OHSA regulation and huge fire traps.

I remember seeing someone online try to start controversy around a major early gay figure in NYC who participated in the riot because he "called the cops on Stonewall". When I dug deeper into it, it turns out he had visited the place earlier and found that it was a giant mobbed-up health hazard with bouncers that would harass anyone who looked "too straight", so he filed a complaint that had no connection to the police raids at all.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Re: brake talk

I am from the netherlands. Coaster brakes suck when not combined with a front brake. Even for city riding.

In the rain, you can easily have a brake distance of 5 meters (for the americans: a whole car length) if you're cycling at 20km/h or so, the highest comfortable speed on a omafiets (though it's not just an omafiets that only has a rear brake, there are 'better' ones too with only one brake).
Cycling in the rain is something 'we' do a lot, even if it sucks.

Same goes for when you're going down a bridge. We don't have hills to speak of, but we do have many bridges with intersections before and after them, where you always have to be prepared to stop if someone fails to yield.
I have never had an accident riding a bike with coaster brake, but i did have a couple of moments at which i definitely had less margin for error than i would like to have, simply because the rear tire was close to breaking traction, or already skidding.
Just like driving a pre WW2 car, you have to build in a LOT more margin for error when you cycle something with only one brake.

Even the cheap plastic lever V brakes on my lovely store brand folding bike are so much more powerful than any coaster brake i've tried.

I am very strongly against helmet laws, but i am very much in favor of mandating a front brake on any new bicycle, just like a bell and reflectors are mandatory. The added cost is perhaps 20 euro.
Combining a V brake with a coaster brake is totally fine. For all non critical braking you can use the coaster brake, saving you from having to replace brake pads every 2 years or so. The V brake will always be there if you have to quickly come to a stop.

So yeah. You can kinda cycle safely with only a rear brake, but it sucks, and the additional cost to make a bicycle that brakes in half the distance is trivial.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 6, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bleh yeah that's a super clickbaity title. The guy's been flying with them for years and it turns out he just didn't do some bureaucratic thing back at the beginning. Who cares.

There was a similar article last year about how "30% of airline pilots in Pakistan don't have pilot's licenses!!", but the actual situation is that 30% of them are not up to date with their periodic recertification exams or something and thus are technically not current to fly. That isn't good, but it's vastly different from just some hick with no training hopping in the pilot's seat, as the title is meant to imply.

Ugh

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LimaBiker posted:

Re: brake talk
I am from the netherlands. Coaster brakes suck when not combined with a front brake. Even for city riding.

Don't trust this person, they have Biker in their name so you know that they are probably a lycra-clad tryhard, with unnecessary fancy pants accesories like front brakes and gears. :colbert:

Here's a good primer on dutch bike riding for tourists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLurEnjOeMo

This is what happens to people who use front brakes:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rbfs8gvr6X1zammfj.mp4

To make up for being annoying here is some non-bike content:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rb913z0wJH1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rb5v38Zz5C1r0uzl6.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 6, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ekuNNN posted:

This is what happens to people who use front brakes:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rbfs8gvr6X1zammfj.mp4

I did that twice as a kid, just full on front-flipped off my bike into the road. No safety gear but the worst injury was just knocking my wind out.
And that's how I learned about braking and momentum, it only took two times!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Captain Hygiene posted:

I did that twice as a kid, just full on front-flipped off my bike into the road. No safety gear but the worst injury was just knocking my wind out.
And that's how I learned about braking and momentum, it only took two times!

I'm a fat guy, and one time I panic braked my bike in college and the whole thing came up to about 45 degrees, then twisted sideways and came back down.

I bent the rim of the back wheel almost 90 degrees and skinned my knee.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

kanonvandekempen posted:

This is from waaaaaay back, but one of the issues that led up to the stonewall riots is the fact that it was illegal to own a gay/lesbian bar, which meant all gay/lesbian bars were underground, mob-run places (that all paid of the local police off course) which were indeed not up to code with OHSA regulation and huge fire traps.

What about women only bar?

I bet they didn't prohibit gentleman's clubs.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Sagebrush posted:

Bleh yeah that's a super clickbaity title. The guy's been flying with them for years and it turns out he just didn't do some bureaucratic thing back at the beginning. Who cares.

There was a similar article last year about how "30% of airline pilots in Pakistan don't have pilot's licenses!!", but the actual situation is that 30% of them are not up to date with their periodic recertification exams or something and thus are technically not current to fly. That isn't good, but it's vastly different from just some hick with no training hopping in the pilot's seat, as the title is meant to imply.

Ugh

Headline: 7 million Americans lost their citizenship last year!

Article: 7 million Americans are late on their taxes

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ekuNNN posted:

Don't trust this person, they have Biker in their name so you know that they are probably a lycra-clad tryhard, with

The back fell off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

The back fell off.

Suspect that engine also ingested some water.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Genius strategy. People will notice it and obey it more often. We're too desensitized to correctly spelled road markings.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CommieGIR posted:

Well, there are very rigorous engineering standards. Regulations governing the material they're made of. For instance, cardboard's right out.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wish we lived in a world where this skit wouldn't be relevant every single decade.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
YLIED

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Z DIED

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
^^^^^ that's actually clever, unlike this post:

RUT69

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

CommieGIR posted:

That kind of engine is not the type to ingest some water and keep on running.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

ekuNNN posted:

Never seen a car with the runs before :shrek:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

D34THROW posted:

Never seen a car with the runs before :shrek:

One of the most religious experiences in my life was once after a thunderstorm, when in the local hobbyist airport intersection Audi TT cut me off from behind Yield-sign, and drove right into a deep cesspool of poo poo water because the drain was blocked.

The car stalled and air bubbles started to rise from both sides, I overtook via oncoming lane and gave one finger salute and good day to the hockey-haired shithead in that Audi.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DandyLion posted:

That kind of engine is not the type to ingest some water and keep on running.

You'd be surprised.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/DeedeeKIRO7/status/1522379966289043456

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There have been *counts* 17 crashes at the two sets of lights near my house this year, I would guess half of them have taken out the lights themselves. Neither crossroads are dangerous and as far as we are aware the lights don't leap out into the road, so the conclusion is that people are idiots.

I'd set up a camera but it would probably be taken out by a white fiat panda on the first day.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

People are idiots, but they're idiots everywhere. If a specific place gets more than its share of wrecks then there's something wrong with the design. But lord knows what that is sometimes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What it is is that on both sets of crossroads the road going east has no pavement and turns from boring commuter A road with too many HGVs into lovely winding happy fun country B road for several miles. So people see the lights and gun it to try and beat them and smack into a HGV/the lights - no fatalities have happened but not through lack of practice.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oh hey look at that huge tower, I wonder what the sign says /walks up 200 meters

/walks back 200 meters slightly faster

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

learnincurve posted:

There have been *counts* 17 crashes at the two sets of lights near my house this year, I would guess half of them have taken out the lights themselves. Neither crossroads are dangerous and as far as we are aware the lights don't leap out into the road, so the conclusion is that people are idiots.

I'd set up a camera but it would probably be taken out by a white fiat panda on the first day.

There was a weird intersection near my old house that seemed like a normal one, but people traveling north wanting to turn left had to peel away from the road sooner, cross oncoming traffic, then deal with their own light away from the intersection. Why? No idea. It's the only time that I saw anything like that in nearly 30 years of driving.

I saw an accident there once or twice a month on my drive home. Made me wonder how many there were for the rest of the time that I wasn't there. It was in the intersection itself, not the left turn, so I assume it was people who missed the turn and tried to sneak through an illegal one.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Uthor posted:

There was a weird intersection near my old house that seemed like a normal one, but people traveling north wanting to turn left had to peel away from the road sooner, cross oncoming traffic, then deal with their own light away from the intersection. Why? No idea. It's the only time that I saw anything like that in nearly 30 years of driving.

I saw an accident there once or twice a month on my drive home. Made me wonder how many there were for the rest of the time that I wasn't there. It was in the intersection itself, not the left turn, so I assume it was people who missed the turn and tried to sneak through an illegal one.

They are putting in an intersection like that near me, it's because the traffic patterns there had a ton of people wanting to turn left during rush hour, so it backed up traffic from that light for blocks. The solution was to change the routing to get them off the main strip sooner.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wheatpuppy posted:

They are putting in an intersection like that near me, it's because the traffic patterns there had a ton of people wanting to turn left during rush hour, so it backed up traffic from that light for blocks. The solution was to change the routing to get them off the main strip sooner.

That makes a little bit of sense. I didn't get a big traffic feel there, but you could fit a half dozen or more cars in the left lane section by the light and another few in the pre left lane turn section.

Ironically, it caused a problem on the cross street as you could maybe fit three cars in the turn lane before this weird left turn lane crossed it. Those sometimes blocked through traffic, but not often. Or you'd get a red to let the left lane through, no one could get into the turn lane itself, and the turn light wouldn't be triggered.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.

Sex Offender Treatment Program?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

After taking a quick look at Google maps it seems like a potentially pretty short exit ramp for highway speeds - maybe 150 meters from leaving the highway to the end of the tunnel - and being in a tunnel means its a pretty narrow exit. The exit is blind to the upcoming intersection until the turn out of the tunnel starts as well so if you're not paying enough attention you've now got a maybe 75 meter turn in a cramped tunnel at near highway speed to slow down quickly but not too quickly to avoid losing control, hitting another car, or go through a red light. There are sharp turn street signs and a 20 MPH sign for the turn in the tunnel as well but if (charitably) you're the type to do the speed limit + 10 (at least) or maybe just unfamiliar with the exit, you're not expecting to transition to a city street intersection that quickly, seems like something that would lead to a higher than normal crash rate.

I'd bet that the people blowing through the red light are entirely at fault but now that I'm thinking about design I have to wonder if maybe the lighting in that area, under certain conditions, might make the traffic lights harder to see.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

zedprime posted:

There is one type of overpass that a group of people hid under in the early 90s and it turned into folk wisdom that you hide under an overpass. Oops turns out that design is unique/extremely uncommon and most are more dangerous.

It's better than wide open flat land. Ditch is definitely better but I'd take the shelter from debris of an overpass over laying on flat open ground. Indoors, basement if you have one. If not, bathtub or interior doorway (since they should be double framed). And most importantly stay the hell away from windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Medhi's cheating but this is particularly bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rd6ZOxEjP0&t=487s