Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Also if you send money to the wrong address with Venmo or via the banks, I assume there's some sort of recourse. If you gently caress up with crypto, it is gone.

As the tweet posted in the minute it took me to type this so handily illustrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is good for bitcoin.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Beefed Owl posted:

Sure with venmo you can have the money transferred immediately for like a 1% fee or you can wait a few days and get it for free or you could just try to do it through Bitcoin where that fee fluctuates wildly and still takes a few loving days and you have no free option gee I wonder which one is better

Bitcoin is a lot like Republican identity politics trying to create non solutions to problems that don't exist

Even abject garbage like Western Union or whatever is better than buttcoin transactions

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

This gives me no idea what the Juno project is supposed to do, only that it has failed repeatedly. It’s almost like a reverse Streisand effect.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

lol, lmao

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

this is amazing lol

oops we sent the funds into a black hole

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I was gonna get genetic testing from Nebula Genomics until I got to their technology page and it mentioned they are trying to do some poo poo "on the blockchain."

Noped right out.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

repiv posted:

i wonder what the third wave of NFT nonsense will be

first it was individual pieces of art, or other singular things like tweets, and basically all interest in that stuff has already collapsed

the second wave is all this procedurally generated animal avatar bullshit

what's next

literally soho house wework cargo cults, but call it a DAO

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AAkkwojvK-s

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Abongination posted:

A NFT that requires constant daily payments to "feed it", the art changes as fund milestones are reached.

10 million thnx

yet another thing second life already did ten years ago - Logansryche himself used to unironically beg for donations to buy digital pet food to keep his "pet rescue" second life animals from starving

turns out the SL dogs and cats couldnt live on 60 flavors of soda alone

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
The next iteration of nfts are neopets.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

istewart posted:

This gives me no idea what the Juno project is supposed to do, only that it has failed repeatedly. It’s almost like a reverse Streisand effect.

Juno project's goal is to give us cheap laughs and I think we should invest in them, they seem to have that down.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1522239813990162433
I'm addicted to reading the tweet threads that follow up these attacks. They always follow the same pattern, portentous threats of involving law enforcement (i.e. rules & regulations on demand, immunity from them at all other times) and obsequious deference towards the hacker, saying how brilliant or ingenious they or their hack was, whilst simultaneously begging for them to return the funds. Often they don't even ask for all of the funds back, because they know, deep down, that they have no power at all.

I also can't get enough of all of the replies about people having sunk X thousand in, losing it and how it is the end of their world. Although this is tinged with the realisation that if there are enough people to be piling money into something as insignificant as this (compared to Bitcoin, which even your gran has heard about), then it just shows that this is a juggernaut that probably is never going away.

Crypto is fucken nuts. A friend of mine pointed out yesterday that if a bank robber made off with anything like this sort of money it would be all over the news and would probably end up as a Netflix film in the more extreme cases, but in crypto it's literally just another day when someone makes off with $300 million equivalent in some silly coin.

EDIT: It's also depressing af reading how many replies asking whether it's safe now to put new funds in.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 6, 2022

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

loving loooool

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there was a SHITCOIN here

:gas:

it's gone now

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

Daniel Hwang, who helps run one of the Juno validators, said to CoinDesk, "We hosed up big time". He also offered an unusual opinion: "Validators should have due diligenced for ourselves to actually check the code we’re executing and running".

sounds to me like Daniel should have Englished for himself to actually check the sentences he's writing

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
This bit has potential

https://twitter.com/tulpengenieter/status/1522514794133307392

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

The guy they "confiscated" the tokens from already threatened to sue them too:
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1520824099525824512

I thought the point of crypto was that code is law and no government or bank can take your money? Oh well

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

https://twitter.com/tulpengenieter/status/1522206334543826944?t=fFb51DPmlv6ywqXe1m2JGQ&s=19

Yeah!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't understand why you would program a big black hole that you can accidentally throw money into and never get back.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Extra Large Marge posted:

I don't understand why you would program a big black hole that you can accidentally throw money into and never get back.

ngmi :rolleyes:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

https://opensea.io/collection/dutch-tulip-field

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

I thought the point of crypto was that code is law and no government or bank can take your money? Oh well
Crypto is decentralised my friend, until its not.

Alternatively - Crypto: Decentralised on our terms.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Gonna airdrop 100 tulip bulbs from the roof of a Wall St skyscraper during rush hour to generate hype in this exciting new investment!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It's not deliberate. Usually it's something like a smart contract (just a small program) that converts one cryptocurrency into another or some similar feature, but not the reverse so when people transfer the wrong currency into it, it just doesn't do anything with it. This would be easy to check for but programmers are lazy and incentivized to write the contracts as short and efficient as possible because more computing power results in higher transaction fees. The whole system is terrible, but it's usually not terrible on purpose.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

because it's slightly easier than designing funds to return if you route them to that big black hole, and you only paid that guy on Taskrabbit $100 to design your visionary earthshaking financial scheme

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

Also if you send money to the wrong address with Venmo or via the banks, I assume there's some sort of recourse. If you gently caress up with crypto, it is gone.

As the tweet posted in the minute it took me to type this so handily illustrates.

they're just holding a majority vote to hard fork the entire blockchain AGAIN to edit the money out of that account, just like they did to rob the guy in the first place

they didn't, really

they made a system where there's no checks to see whether a wallet id actually exists before you send money to that wallet, so you can send money to a nonexistent wallet and the system doesn't give a poo poo

technically, if a wallet is later created that gets assigned that wallet id, that wallet would theoretically have access to those funds. but the range of potential wallet ids is so huge that it's unlikely anyone will ever get access to those funds

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You don't create or activate wallets. You merely borrow a public key from the number range that you came up with a private key for. The address was there before you came and will be there well after you're dead or the private key is compromised.

There's no fundamental control that could be put in place to catch this sort of thing. The crypto part makes sure of that. What you input into the transaction is what is going to come out. Any more intelligence short circuits the whole thing into not-crypto.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i can't believe this turned out to be a scam

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1522624989018607620

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

But but…they promised! :argh:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

All final holders will get 10,000,000x gains. And is it not said, "How much better to get wisdom than bitcoin, to get insight rather than ether"?

In my judgement they delivered: everyone who invested was shown wisdom & insight that is at least 10 million times the value of their investment.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
why is it called "day of defeat"?

might as well call it gently caress you dot com

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Hammerite posted:

i'm invested in scamcoin, rugcoin, day of defeat, tulipcoin, PUMP, and bubblecoin :smug:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

"Rug pulling" That's called larceny or grand theft.

e:

quote:

To qualify as first-degree grand larceny, a person must steal over $1 million in money or property. The theft can take many forms, and the value of the property is considered cumulatively.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 6, 2022

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Hammerite posted:

It was a pretty good game back in the day. Always overshadowed by counterstrike but I had fun playing it

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

quote:

Their project roadmap includes a "mystery plan" that results in a 1,000,000x price increase.
Literally the South Seas bubble.

Wikipedia posted:

One famous apocryphal story is of a company that went public in 1720 as "a company for carrying out an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is".

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hammerite posted:

Don't worry, the white paper explains it all!

Oh, you didn't want to read all that? And you're wondering why they're so sure it will increase x a billion or whatever? Well, don't worry, the white paper answers that too!

Line goes up once equals line goes up always!

And how will they do this?

THE "MYSTERIOUS PLAN" WILL DO THIS.

In conclusion: anyone who got scammed by this loving deserved it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
bitcoins has been devastating to my view of humanity. who knew there are so many people who shouldn't be allowed near a computer, or knives

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Backed by maths.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

zedprime posted:

You don't create or activate wallets. You merely borrow a public key from the number range that you came up with a private key for. The address was there before you came and will be there well after you're dead or the private key is compromised.

So these wallets that are listed where some crypto coin was “burned” because no one owns it. You’re saying we should be mining for these public/private keys to access them? Makes about as much sense as regular crypto mining.

I honestly don’t understand this crypto talk most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

latinotwink1997 posted:

So these wallets that are listed where some crypto coin was “burned” because no one owns it. You’re saying we should be mining for these public/private keys to access them? Makes about as much sense as regular crypto mining.

I honestly don’t understand this crypto talk most of the time.

It is not feasible to brute force a private key knowing only the public key, unless and until the cryptosystem is broken by advances in mathematics. that's an important principle of public key cryptography, which is used by much more than cryptocurrencies.

It's not similar to mining because the principle in mining is that someone has to find an input that gives a result that is within a given tolerance of the target, and the tolerance is chosen so as to target the difficulty; but to have your guess at a private key work, it has to give a result that is precisely the public key. this is many orders of magnitude less likely than landing in range of the mining target, even for a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin with a very high hash rate and therefore very high difficulty (narrow range around the target).