Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kawabata posted:

I can't quite grasp how impossibly loving stupid True Enoch is in Rogue Legacy 2.

Like I've got plat in Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring but this trainwreck of a boss has so much unavoidable damage that it makes me want to throw my joypad at the wall. Is it supposed to be this hard? Should I stop playing roguelikes right after work? :( Though overall RL2 feels like an excellent roguelite so far, one of the best in ages.

I had a lot more trouble with his first phase than with True Enoch. Like the main issue for me was getting there with at least some health left cause I know I'm not going to dodge every explosion. The big thing to figure out for me was riding on top of him with dashes and downstrikes when he does the big run back and forth move. The part where he's just jumping back and forth over the player opens him up to take a lot of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Can anyone recommend a roguelike that you would describe as "cogmind but with graphics"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kawabata posted:

I can't quite grasp how impossibly loving stupid True Enoch is in Rogue Legacy 2.

Like I've got plat in Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring but this trainwreck of a boss has so much unavoidable damage that it makes me want to throw my joypad at the wall. Is it supposed to be this hard? Should I stop playing roguelikes right after work? :( Though overall RL2 feels like an excellent roguelite so far, one of the best in ages.
He's really, really tilting. The damage isn't unavoidable but it's much harder than it should be. Locking the portal down with architect and rolling for dissociated (or of course hero syndrome) will do it. You can use duelist to clear out the coins with Y iframes, astromancer can do the same, and assassin can jump around and dash jump then cloak and find a safe spot. Ranger's ivy platform should probably work too but ranger is a little wacky. You can try to do the bounce off of him thing too which I assume is the intended way to beat the fight, but that's kind of hard compared to having a coin answer ready. You are able to stand in between some of the coins if you're normal sized so if all else fails try to get a lucky landing.

Rogue Legacy is a dirty word in this thread so I wasn't going to bring it up here but RL2's gameplay is so good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 4, 2022

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

No Wave posted:

He's really, really tilting. The damage isn't unavoidable but it's much harder than it should be.

Yeah it's not really unavoidable per se but especially in the second part of phase 1 he spams so much poo poo at the same time that you can't reliably prevent damage all the time depending on where you are on the screen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Picked up Soulash :thumbsup:

Had to refund Rogue Legacy 2, it seems like a good game but I'm just too slow and clumsy to get anything out of it.

edit: Somebody make a game called Rouge where it's a roguelike where you get powers by equipping different kinds of makeup. And it's a bit hit that spawns an entire genre of rougelikes and rougelites, and some of the rougelikes are also roguelikes and rougelikes are roguelites but some rougelikes are souls-likes instead.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 4, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I had a lot more trouble with his first phase than with True Enoch. Like the main issue for me was getting there with at least some health left cause I know I'm not going to dodge every explosion. The big thing to figure out for me was riding on top of him with dashes and downstrikes when he does the big run back and forth move. The part where he's just jumping back and forth over the player opens him up to take a lot of damage.

Same. The first phase feels too "bullet hell" for a game like this. The second phase only has three attacks to learn/avoid. Having the rune for double dash makes the coin attack a non-factor, since you can just wait it out.

No Wave posted:

Rogue Legacy is a dirty word in this thread so I wasn't going to bring it up here but RL2's gameplay is so good.

:justpost: and don't worry about people whining how X game is/isn't "rogue-like/lite" enough for the thread.

I'm having a blast with it, though in the late(?) game things are starting to feel grind-y. I'm firmly in the pit biome, and while the enemies aren't a huge challenge, the boss feels like it's tuned for someone with more upgrades than I have. But each new upgrade costs thousands now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Same. The first phase feels too "bullet hell" for a game like this. The second phase only has three attacks to learn/avoid. Having the rune for double dash makes the coin attack a non-factor, since you can just wait it out.

:justpost: and don't worry about people whining how X game is/isn't "rogue-like/lite" enough for the thread.

I'm having a blast with it, though in the late(?) game things are starting to feel grind-y. I'm firmly in the pit biome, and while the enemies aren't a huge challenge, the boss feels like it's tuned for someone with more upgrades than I have. But each new upgrade costs thousands now.
Yes - I think NG is a bit too hard in RL2. My main complaint is it seems balanced around you dumping everything into vitality+strength but everyone will want to unlock the full tower and there are just so many upgrades that are worthless for a very long time (dexterity and armor are the biggest offenders). Once you hit NG+ you can feel better about clearing the first few areas which are way more farmable than areas 5 and 6. Also you might already know this but if you lock with the architect your portals will remain claimed and you can just teleport straight to bosses if the portal was found - this lets you bring classes you're not comfortable clearing with to boss fights, and lets you spam tries while learning boss mechanics.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Mozi posted:

edit: Somebody make a game called Rouge where it's a roguelike where you get powers by equipping different kinds of makeup. And it's a bit hit that spawns an entire genre of rougelikes and rougelites, and some of the rougelikes are also roguelikes and rougelikes are roguelites but some rougelikes are souls-likes instead.

hold on, writing this down for later

I might end up convincing myself to do this someday

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

WhiteHowler posted:

Uhhhh just wait until the last two bosses.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ntan1 posted:

I'm stuck at Estuary Tubal. Is that one of the last two?

That fight also feels very bullet hell. There are just so many screen-filling attacks/summons that it's impossible not to lose a war of attrition.

I've had the best luck with the Boxer, since you can basically stay in the air and punch him, then do the KO uppercut when the adds get close. I've gotten him down to around 20% a few times, but I think I need to do a few more gold runs and upgrade my damage a bit more.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ntan1 posted:

The last NG boss is suuuuper fun. The kind of boss I could fight forever and be happy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm enjoying RL2 a lot so far but playing Duelist is killing me because my dumbass brain goes "oh they have a dodge ability, i can dash through enemies safely now" and my fingers hit the triggers before i realize

i also dash into enemies on other classes. must be the instinct to dodge past enemies in 3d games

(edit) literally right after posting this i unlocked boxer

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 5, 2022

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm stuck at Estuary Tubal. Is that one of the last two?
NoYes

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Splicer posted:

Can anyone recommend a roguelike that you would describe as "cogmind but with graphics"

cogmind is pretty unique afaik

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Finally got down to playing Inscryption over the last few days and I must say it was an incredible experience. HIGHLY recommended, with the caveat that it's more story based than most "roguelites" and that you should really go in blind if you can.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Splicer posted:

Cogmind is Cogmind with graphics. It's got an art style and ui/ux better than 99% of "classic" roguelikes out there

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I dont think you could do the complexity of Cogmind in anything but a 2D tileset without it making your eyes bleed more than Cogmind already does

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah I can't play it anymore, massive headache, ignoring any issues I have with it mechanically :v:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

victrix posted:

yeah I can't play it anymore, massive headache, ignoring any issues I have with it mechanically :v:

Same but with Jupiter Hell. I love the game but hate that weird the visuals "bend" to emulate an old CRTV. I dont mind the CRT aesthetic but the way they tried to make it look like an old bulbous screen gives me a headache.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Sci-fi doings in Beta~

https://s01den.itch.io/lost-cavern

quote:

Hello Sam Palmada, you have the honor to be the member of a space expedition organised by the Black Star. You make your family very proud!

Lost Cavern is an open-source RogueLike where the player is the only survivor of a space expedition and has to go deeper and deeper inside a cavern exploited by an intergalactic corporation.

Destroy the map to redraw your own with bombs or by the strength of your arms, fight General Althorus and his minions, take random drugs, collect legendary weapons, craft lasers and free the Lost Cavern from the exploitation of GemStone!

However, you are infected by a random disease with differents effects... don't forget to use vaccins!

FEATURES:

Sprites from the tileset of @vurmux (Special thanks to Atsukyo for the help menu)
Incredible musics by @Musical_Android!
Random introduction story
Destructible environment
Proceduraly generated cave
Crafting system (create lasers, walls, bandages, medipacks and a lot of crazy stuff)
NPC and Quests. Help workers and peasants in their struggle against GemStone!
3 differents diseases, be careful!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Kvlt! posted:

Same but with Jupiter Hell. I love the game but hate that weird the visuals "bend" to emulate an old CRTV. I dont mind the CRT aesthetic but the way they tried to make it look like an old bulbous screen gives me a headache.

FWIW you can turn that off and it makes the game way more readable

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Naramyth posted:

FWIW you can turn that off and it makes the game way more readable

Oh hell yeah I'm excited to boot it back up. Is it just in game options or do I need a mod?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Kvlt! posted:

Oh hell yeah I'm excited to boot it back up. Is it just in game options or do I need a mod?

in game options

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Yeah, I turned off that effect immediately when I first bought the game

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is the UX in Cogmind? I've had it wishlisted forever, but my one big reservation is that I've always struggled to click with more traditional roguelike control schemes that require memorizing a poo poo-zillion keys and key combos.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Armored Core

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How is the UX in Cogmind? I've had it wishlisted forever, but my one big reservation is that I've always struggled to click with more traditional roguelike control schemes that require memorizing a poo poo-zillion keys and key combos.

It's very streamlined compared to other traditional roguelikes.
You can play the game with just the mouse even if you wanted.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cogmind is completely mouse-based if you want, but for my own optimal neckbearding I've been learning all sorts of quickswap hotkeys.

Unormal posted:

Armored Core
I mean seriously, it's like FromSoft have lost their way and given in to shareholders, making billions of dollars instead of new AC games for the fans who deride them! Where is their passion? *wrings wrists*

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Serephina posted:

Cogmind is completely mouse-based if you want, but for my own optimal neckbearding I've been learning all sorts of quickswap hotkeys.

I mean seriously, it's like FromSoft have lost their way and given in to shareholders, making billions of dollars instead of new AC games for the fans who deride them! Where is their passion? *wrings wrists*

I mean one of their producers went and made Daemon X Machina, so someone still cares... I miss Armored Core...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A (well bolstered) sequel, surprisingly~

https://kotogames.itch.io/once-upon-a-dungeon-ii

quote:

I thought I fulfilled my duty - the dungeon cleared, head of the Fallen One delivered to king's court. Clearly I must have overlooked some of evil servants. Moreover, while escaping they took Slavic gods statues with them, master controlling them, thus becoming powerful foes. Now I'm blamed of evil spreading around the country and forced to sort it out. It's gonna be tough ...

About the game:

- turn based, loot/hack oriented roguelike
- large, seamless, hand-crafted outer world. Travel it on foot, or using teleports.
- many procedurally generated dungeons to explore
- tons of various loot
- advanced fight system - use melee or projectiles. Experience different effects (bleeding, freezing, stunning), learn to recover from them
- passive and active abilities
- advanced inventory/trade mechanics
- advanced ally mechanics - they: gain experience, level up, can heal self, use equipment exactly as main hero does
- advanced dialog/quest system
- advanced crafting system - enhance equipment, made better one by merging two items together, craft potions
- customizable controls
- save/load system
- about 5-10 hours of gameplay (depend on your experience)

Notice: This is an late-alpha version of the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bees x1000 posted:

cogmind is pretty unique afaik

Fayez Butts posted:

Cogmind is Cogmind with graphics. It's got an art style and ui/ux better than 99% of "classic" roguelikes out there

Unormal posted:

Armored Core
I guess I'm looking for the complex robot building using the bodies of my enemies, but putting a gun on my guy also puts a gun on my avatar.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
I'm enjoying Rogue Legacy 2, but it feels like you have to make a choice between having fun and winning.

The fast movement and tight controls mean blitzing around slapping the poo poo out of everything is great fun. But, to actually be successful you have to slow right the gently caress down, wait for 100% safe windows to attack, back out of rooms to reset enemies on bad patterns, backtrack miles for hp, pick up no relics until you figure out which combination to take, and generally play as safe as possible.

I'm only 3-4 bosses in so far, so hopefully this gets fixed later on by gear/relic combinations. I find myself wishing for bloodborne's rally system.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Huge Manatee posted:

I'm enjoying Rogue Legacy 2, but it feels like you have to make a choice between having fun and winning.

The fast movement and tight controls mean blitzing around slapping the poo poo out of everything is great fun. But, to actually be successful you have to slow right the gently caress down, wait for 100% safe windows to attack, back out of rooms to reset enemies on bad patterns, backtrack miles for hp, pick up no relics until you figure out which combination to take, and generally play as safe as possible.

I'm only 3-4 bosses in so far, so hopefully this gets fixed later on by gear/relic combinations. I find myself wishing for bloodborne's rally system.

The lack of rally system together the punishing ''touch any enemy part by mistake and receive full damage" makes the game feel pretty different from something like Dead Cells (which also have something similar to the rally system). It's more geared towards more technical, very accurate movement with the hero, over having faster reflexes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Splicer posted:

I guess I'm looking for the complex robot building using the bodies of my enemies, but putting a gun on my guy also puts a gun on my avatar.

RoboPit

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

Megaman

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Risk of Rain 2 for the 'get a thing, that thing is on your avatar' aspect

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I don't remember Rogue Legacy 1 being so...full of hazards, all the time. I'm in the fifth area and it's rough. The platforming is also both required and pretty challenging at this point.

Mithross posted:

I mean one of their producers went and made Daemon X Machina, so someone still cares... I miss Armored Core...

They held an Armored Core related focus group, so they're at least thinking about working on it. Given the success of Elden Ring, though, I doubt it would get the resources it would need even if they do make it. :(

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Pro tip for rogue legacy 2: enable house rules and turn off contact damage

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Soulash is pretty cool but I'm struggling with the movement stuff, I'm not sure if the directionality really adds much. Some other QoL features would be nice too (like a 'walk to cursor' button). Seems like a fun game other than that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Splicer posted:

FTL