Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

That minion meme costs, at minimum, three thousand U.S. dollars to reach from the lower tier goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zero One posted:

According to last year's MBMBAM, Travis added DRM so pirated stream's jokes are not funny. So if you don't find Travis funny... stop pirating your podcasts!

fun fact: subscribing to MaxFun gives you access to the special Travis-free versions of MBMBAM episodes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
also Elliott-free Flophouse

the episodes are 20 minutes long

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Admitting to still having personal Facebook accounts in 2022.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

drat I was pretty excited about this maxfun bonus episode but it's mostly Travis sharing his monkey cheese random ideas

edit: tyson rex was good though

edit 2: turned out pretty good with a very, very enthusiastic travis heavy first 20 minutes.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 4, 2022

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This show is free on the internet guys

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have to wonder how much of their extended family knows what they do for a living and how many of them know how relatively big it is. I'm sure Clint tells everyone he talks to, as dads do.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This new bonus episode is giving me a physically uncomfortable feeling trying to parse the voices to the personality.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 4, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I know they're all professionals but this is great for a cold read

even if it's heavily edited

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSLQpjzHqw

Justin just trolling from the word go

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Awful Squad vibes

:laffo: this screen layout is horrible

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I bet that the McElboys could make way more money if they just did a Patreon.

What picture/video evidence does Jesse Thorne HAVE on them?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They chose an all timer episode for the remix, goddamn

I miss the nasty man

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I bet that the McElboys could make way more money if they just did a Patreon.

What picture/video evidence does Jesse Thorne HAVE on them?

They'd also have to run everything themselves -- advertising, publishing, promotion, etc. I'm not sure how much they do their own merch production and touring, but I wouldn't be surprised if MaxFun helps with that too. IIRC MaxFun takes 25% of donations, which isn't nothing, but it's not a ton more than Patreon takes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea unless near everyone is lying it sounds like a pretty simple case of 'MaxFun takes more or less the same cut and actually handles the backroom stuff we have little interest in' more than anything dramatic.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I wonder what kind of structure MaxFun even has. Is it a worker owned cooperative? Because that would be extremely cool and definitely reason enough to not be on Patreon.

If not eh, it's still probably fine, and I bet it's also nice to not have the details of your income stream laid bare.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Shinjobi posted:

They chose an all timer episode for the remix, goddamn

I miss the nasty man

i relistened to that episode on a whim a bit ago and when they mentioned the episode they did for the remix was with a sick griffin i immediately knew it was this one.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea unless near everyone is lying it sounds like a pretty simple case of 'MaxFun takes more or less the same cut and actually handles the backroom stuff we have little interest in' more than anything dramatic.

How much do they really handle? I know the McElroys have talked about having their own agent and booking/tour person and it seemed like they weren’t provided by Jesse/whatever.

I always thought odd to be both lister supported/drive funded AND add supported. Just assumed it should be one or the other

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

extremely normal to be both ad and listener supported these days, most shows with patreons have free versions with ads. the only annoying thing to me is that you can't get ad-free eps with a (sufficient) subscription

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 4, 2022

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The McElroy Family (tm) has a staff larger than some small businesses https://www.themcelroy.family/pages/staff

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

timp posted:

The McElroy Family (tm) has a staff larger than some small businesses https://www.themcelroy.family/pages/staff

Love a good found family story

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

To leave Maximum Fun they would have to tell Jesse they were leaving, and you know none of them could handle that kind of confrontation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
you guys know it’s not exactly weird or uncommon to keep up a business relationship with somebody who’s your friend and with whom you have an existing and long-standing history of working together, even if you could hypothetically work with a competitor or somebody else or handle those roles internally or whatever, right?

like I’m sure they could probably work with Anchor or Amazon or independently or whatever, but they seem pretty close with a lot of the people at MaxFun, along with having what could be deemed seniority at the network that they arguably helped grow more than any other podcast

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

yeah it's not so crazy that they just might like the company, its people, and believe in it.

I'd find it hard to believe if earwolf or another podcast company didn't talk to them at some point. There's certainly plenty of others who left maxfun.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I was watching a Love that Danhausen video and noticed that he has a bunch of MBMBAM tour posters in his place. They’ve had LMM and Jimmy Buffet as guests but not Danhausen? Absurd.

https://youtu.be/bqb1W09J3l4

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Danhausen ownshausen

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New TTAZZ

The biggest thing is that Griffin still has no idea where the story is going or when it will wrap up. He also talked about wanting to do another season in the Ethersea setting with new characters in the future.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
People complain about MaxFun ads but I tried listening to an iHeartRadio podcast recently and holy poo poo the ads are endless and all for terrible shows or incredibly dumb poo poo.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

lol a lot of iheartradio podcasts are borderline unlistenable due to the ads, it's incredible

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i dont think anyone ITT has ever listened to a public radio station during a fund drive.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

i dont think anyone ITT has ever listened to a public radio station during a fund drive.

I have, and I treat it just like Mad Fun Drives: I listen to something else instead and come back when it's over.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

timp posted:

7 employees doesn't seem that big to me imo

an editor, a tour manager, a business person, a merch artist and a social media person seem like pretty routine hires for a popular podcast

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 6, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
they made it to 15k, so the brothers bought each other haunted dolls

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Roberta has been through a lot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Travis is doing a live unboxing of Roberta

"Roberta, I must apologize, but I see there is a spike in the chair you're supposed to sit on and I have to look under your skirt to see if there's somewhere that spike goes."

He has since chosen to simply remove the spike from the chair.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Griffin shirt

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I never finished Graduation but gently caress me if I don't say the name Gary out loud anymore like he did. Gaaary.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Today's episode:

:orb:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
surprised they let that pancake question in when it literally ended with "am I good?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1524226843892715520