Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

St0rmD posted:

I've done all that, minus the vacuuming, but I have tile floors. It's gone. I didn't even see which direction it flew, and I didn't really see or feel how much force/speed it flew off with. I was trying to push the little pin into the hole, and then my thumb slipped and it wasn't there anymore. Maybe there's a chance I happen to find it at some point, but I'm not hopeful. My worst fear is that it somehow flew over my shoulder into a very full kitchen garbage can that was about 6 feet behind me (and I'm not going sorting through kitchen trash for a 3mm piece of plastic). I was just posting to vent my rage/despair.

Well, I got over my anxiety about scratch-building and went to town on a piece of the runner with a glass file until I'd whittled it down to a flat triangle. Not having the skills to scuplt a .5mm pin, I settled for gluing it down with plastic cement. From arm's length away, you can't really tell it's not the original part, and even under magnification it's not the worst looking part of the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yer a scratchbuilder now, Harry!

Hoyota
Oct 3, 2013
Now that you've gone through all the trouble of making and gluing a new piece in place, the original part will appear on your desk in plain sight.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished up my Sazabi. It only took 5 months to do.

:negative:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My first ever Koto kit.

Lol I just bought this exact kit. I've heard Kotos are a bit fiddly and sometimes require glue, what was your experience?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Philthy posted:

Bad. rear end.

I love your custom paint scheme.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Hoyota posted:

Now that you've gone through all the trouble of making and gluing a new piece in place, the original part will appear on your desk in plain sight.

Yeah I'm counting on that.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Philthy posted:

Worth it. That is amazing, well done!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Neito posted:

Lol I just bought this exact kit. I've heard Kotos are a bit fiddly and sometimes require glue, what was your experience?

The kit is pretty solid and not fiddly. The Mega Man X kits are probably built different compared to their other offerings.

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.

Philthy posted:

*snip*

That's real nice! I've not even put decals on mine yet >.< Tho the included dry ones look...not great, whats peoples 3rd party people of choice for wsd?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Digihazard posted:

That's real nice! I've not even put decals on mine yet >.< Tho the included dry ones look...not great, whats peoples 3rd party people of choice for wsd?

Thanks!

Basically any brand that isn't Bandai waterslides. Bandai's are a nightmare because they are so thin and they take forever to come off the sheet, so you run the risk of rips trying to get them off the sheet, then again when trying to place them properly on the model itself. When you're dealing with 100+ decals per model, this is just not worth the headache. I generally go for DL Model or SIMP. I would say 80% of my decals are DL Model. The Sazabi above took about 7 custom decal sheets of varying colors. They all worked out well, even the no-name Chinese brands. If they look too thick, go over them with Mr. Mark Softer a few times.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 3, 2022

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
Holy poo poo that Sazabi, the sort of thing I can only aspire to. Love it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Beautiful work, Philthy!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Is it just me or has Dalong stopped updating and is just posting pics of new kits on Instagram, rather than the photo-breakdowns that make their site so useful?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

Is it just me or has Dalong stopped updating and is just posting pics of new kits on Instagram, rather than the photo-breakdowns that make their site so useful?

It's just you. It's been updating daily for me. Been doing a lot of p bandai lately.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Very tidy and clean paint work.

I can second DL Decals and SIMP, despite their name.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I got a replacement hand for the one that crumbled to dust, just need to paint it Zeon Grey and Char Color. They're a lil big for the Zaku but this one has a nice effect.

I wish they had a melee hand too

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

grassy gnoll posted:

Very tidy and clean paint work.

I can second DL Decals and SIMP, despite their name.

But Squirrels In My Pants was one of the better songs from Phineas & Ferb.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Philthy posted:

As someone whose gotten into scribing and now will be adding plaplate stuff in the future, I i hear you about these projects taking forever. My possibility of completing my backlog is zero.

Great work as well.

Edit

Might as well post an update on my own stuff.

gotta touch up some paint chips and cover up surface detail I painted but will never see again.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 4, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

30 Minute Horse

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1522048558010052609?s=20&t=2pWLe80oDssnQqmIwoQfYg

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Week or two ago had a wario64 popup on twitter that showed a Mecha-Godzilla but done in the colors of EVA-01.

After putting the order in, I figured I should practice with something a little simpler. So I ordered two off Amazon

Then I went to Target

And then I blinked. And this happened

Godzilla hasn't even arrived yet.

boz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 5, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
One of us, one of us.

I would recommend against buying model kits of any stripe on Amazon, not just for gently caress-Bezos reasons, but because the scalping tends to be outrageous. There's a ton of specialty retailers who can get you product faster for cheaper, depending on where you are in the world.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I probably won't get it but I have to admire that people sat down and clearly put a fair amount of thought into how to do a horse girl kit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You made promises that link did not deliver on. :colbert:

Now I want a 30MM ridable horse mech mount. :sigh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was expecting the horse Gundam from G

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

boz posted:

Week or two ago had a wario64 popup on twitter that showed a Mecha-Godzilla but done in the colors of EVA-01.

I've been slowing building this during my group build sessions and it's really cool. Most of the color separations are injected into the molding itself, no color correcting stickers.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Azubah posted:

I've been slowing building this during my group build sessions and it's really cool. Most of the color separations are injected into the molding itself, no color correcting stickers.

Nice! Where would you rate the difficulty on that?

grassy gnoll posted:

One of us, one of us.

I would recommend against buying model kits of any stripe on Amazon, not just for gently caress-Bezos reasons, but because the scalping tends to be outrageous. There's a ton of specialty retailers who can get you product faster for cheaper, depending on where you are in the world.

I appreciate this. Definitely noticed some higher prices, and then I read earlier in the thread the whole Epyon (I think) debacle with the fake kit.

boz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 5, 2022

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'd put it closer to a RE 1/100 with some extra layers for flexibility (the tail has a lot of parts)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

OK first off who doesn't have Twitter embeds on? And secondly I bet you'll be able to get two kits and do some kind of Barbataurus type deal

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, what are everyone's favorite online shops?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I clicked on it and was like... 'Hey there's no horse here. Ohhhh.'

I'm gonna have to get the figma horse instead I guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That actually looks pretty good but I will hold out for Golshi

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So that SDARK YouTube video posted, I've been watching them all and the guy is just insanely talented.

But this one takes the cake I think.

https://youtu.be/hkdQoJGnJao

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

OK first off who doesn't have Twitter embeds on?

Desktop FIrefox doesn't show them even if they're on!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Schwarzwald posted:

Desktop FIrefox doesn't show them even if they're on!

Mine does

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

overlordbunny posted:

Hey, what are everyone's favorite online shops?

I just got the RG Eva-01 with the transport platform from Newtype. They fulfilled my order the same weekend, and it got from California to Michigan within a week. So there’s one data point in their favor. The rest of my models have just come from Target.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

I just got the RG Eva-01 with the transport platform from Newtype. They fulfilled my order the same weekend, and it got from California to Michigan within a week. So there’s one data point in their favor. The rest of my models have just come from Target.

I just ordered the same model from them, they had the shipping label printed and ready to go in less than 2 hours after I bought it

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

I had a good experience with GundamPlanet, and they have the RG Hi-Nu in stock right now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I've had really pleasant experiences with both Gundam Planet and Newtype, I just buy more from Newtype because they're close enough to me I could go pick up an order direct from their warehouse on a daytrip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Oh, great. Now I have to go look at my settings.