Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Wordpress also has plugins that will cache your webpages and serve up a static version of your site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

When a site is just static (unchanging, not dynamically loaded from the database) files, there’s a lot less in the way of back-end overhead. You lose flexibility when it comes to making site-wide changes (like color schemes) because you’d have to edit each page individually, but for archives it’s really, really hard to beat “flat” files, which can be hosted just about anywhere and don’t use many resources, even when actively viewed.

You can still have CSS / includes / bars for static files so color scheme changes etc across the site are not that much of a problem.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it much more expensive and/or technically difficult to build buildings with rounded corners rather than straight ones? Every time I see a building with a rounded corner I think wow that’s really cool, but I feel like I don’t see them that often.

At the very least most buildings are built to maximize interior space to external footprint, and curves get in the way of it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there a term for real-time demographics? As in, the population of New York is however many million, but the actual population is much bigger because there are always tourists and business trip people there. Or Moab, Utah's population probably doubles or triples during their Jeep Safari. Similarly, the actual racial demographic within the city is different than what the nominal residential population is. Is this ever measured or tracked?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Has anyone downloaded an entire website, so it can be viewed offline? I have a personal blogging/photography website, but I don't do much with it anymore. I was on a discounted three year hosting plan, but prices have exploded for that, and it's just hard to justify at this point. So I'd like to save what I have for posterity, without paying hundreds every year to do so.

Who is your host? Unless you're getting a ton of traffic or are hosting many GBs worth of data, you shouldn't be paying hundreds of dollars per year for hosting.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Social question:

Suppose someone you're friends with but not like besties with sent you a link to an upcoming event and said "You should come to this!"

Knowing this person will be there with at least one person you don't know... would you take this as a tacit invitation to join them at this event, or would it be more likely that they just hope to see you there but you're not invited to like, join them and their party at their table?

Furthermore... how would one ask for clarification without putting them in an awkward position? In my case, I'll be going there alone, and I don't want to go if I'm going to be alone. But I also don't want to wedge myself into a party I'm not invited into. If my friend didn't actually want me joining her, she would invite me to her party out of pity (or maybe just manners) and I don't want that, either.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Call / text them and say something like "hey, saw that invite, can you tell me a little more about the event?" and hopefully pick up from context clues what the deal is. If there's more "you should go" and less of "we're all gonna go" -- more 'you' than 'we' -- that's an indication that you're not invited with the group.

But unless it's an MLM thing, she probably invited you because she wants you to go. Assume the best out of people unless you have strong evidence otherwise.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

credburn posted:

Social question:

Suppose someone you're friends with but not like besties with sent you a link to an upcoming event and said "You should come to this!"

Knowing this person will be there with at least one person you don't know... would you take this as a tacit invitation to join them at this event, or would it be more likely that they just hope to see you there but you're not invited to like, join them and their party at their table?

Furthermore... how would one ask for clarification without putting them in an awkward position? In my case, I'll be going there alone, and I don't want to go if I'm going to be alone. But I also don't want to wedge myself into a party I'm not invited into. If my friend didn't actually want me joining her, she would invite me to her party out of pity (or maybe just manners) and I don't want that, either.

I'd assume it's more of a "you should come but not explicitly with me" type invitation based on the wording, but it's vague.

I might say something along the lines of, "Sounds like a cool event! Are you going, and if so would you mind if I join you? I always feel awkward at these types of things alone. If not, no biggie!"

Honesty is generally the best policy for stuff like this, people respond well to it. Clarifying your understanding of someone's position is almost always a good thing to do, and they'll appreciate that you asked. If they take it negatively, are they really the type of person you'd like to hang out with in the first place?

Beating around the bush or handwringing about how explicit you should be are avoidance techniques. Just bite the bullet and ask the question you want to ask, there's nothing wrong with it. :)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s ok to ask what it is and if there is going to be anybody else you know. Like I’ve definitely said no thanks to friends inviting me to somebody else’s celebration if I’m not gonna know somebody else. Don’t always have the energy to socialize with a ton of strangers.

It’s also possible your friend doesn’t know anybody there and wants some company :)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I feel like everyone would get along so much better if we just communicated more effectively, but I am so awkward and bad at it that I'm really so often the very problem I'm complaining about.

I should just ask for clarification. But there's such a web of interconnecting nuances and implications by the things said or not said. I want to go with her and her friend(s) but only if they want me there. It's a kind of venue where going alone would be weird, it really is a group thing. I don't want her to be like, "ah geez if you're just going alone then yeah you might as well join us"... but it's probably better that I just express my confusion and communicate with my friends.

Thanks again goons for helping me be slightly more normal in meatspace.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

no one's normal in the meatspace

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a term for real-time demographics? As in, the population of New York is however many million, but the actual population is much bigger because there are always tourists and business trip people there. Or Moab, Utah's population probably doubles or triples during their Jeep Safari. Similarly, the actual racial demographic within the city is different than what the nominal residential population is. Is this ever measured or tracked?

Municipalities measure their visitor population, especially when their economies are tourism or event-dependent. The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority has a research center, for example.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

credburn posted:

I feel like everyone would get along so much better if we just communicated more effectively, but I am so awkward and bad at it that I'm really so often the very problem I'm complaining about.

I should just ask for clarification. But there's such a web of interconnecting nuances and implications by the things said or not said. I want to go with her and her friend(s) but only if they want me there. It's a kind of venue where going alone would be weird, it really is a group thing. I don't want her to be like, "ah geez if you're just going alone then yeah you might as well join us"... but it's probably better that I just express my confusion and communicate with my friends.

Thanks again goons for helping me be slightly more normal in meatspace.
It gets easier with practise.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

It gets easier with practise.

Agreed. It's also easier if you allow yourself to feel awkward, knowing that at some point everyone (except maybe sociopaths) feel awkward and that's okay.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Also, I've found sometimes it helps defuse awkwardness to actually acknowledge it. As in literally saying something like "sorry, this is a bit awkward, but did you mean blah blah blah?"

It took me a very long time to learn that it's actually ok to communicate about communicating!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

credburn posted:

If it was one of my friends I'd swing it like this:

"Thanks for the heads up. Is this an invitation to come with y'all or more of a 'hope we run into you' thing? No worries either way."

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

regulargonzalez posted:

I did some searching and found terms referring to a city's "daytime population", "temporary population", "commuter-adjusted population", or "dynamic population".

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-020-0455-y

https://www.census.gov/topics/employment/commuting/guidance/calculations.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_population

It seems like most research and statistics based around fluctuating city populations is looking at daily changes rather than true real-time stats. I'm not sure if there are stats specifically for people who do not live or work in the city and are just visiting since it's tricky to take a census of non-residents who don't stay there very long.

As an extra note, this types of information would be related to the under the much, much broader field of population dynamics which tries to develop models for any kind of population (not just people).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_dynamics

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

If it was one of my friends I'd swing it like this:

"Thanks for the heads up. Is this an invitation to come with y'all or more of a 'hope we run into you' thing? No worries either way."

That's perfect! Somehow seems so obvious now that you've said it...

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

credburn posted:

I want to go with her and her friend(s) but only if they want me there.

They sent you a message saying "you should come to this!" because they want you there. Why would they otherwise?

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
Can someone tell me what's going on here?

Shown is Air Quality Index in parts of Iraq/Iran. The maximum I've ever seen for this is in the 200s in Mumbai, India
For these to be at/above 500 :o

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

b2n posted:

Can someone tell me what's going on here?

Shown is Air Quality Index in parts of Iraq/Iran. The maximum I've ever seen for this is in the 200s in Mumbai, India

Sand storms.

MOI cautions on dusty weather with low visibility

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

b2n posted:

The maximum I've ever seen for this is in the 200s in Mumbai, India

During the 2020 cascades wildfires we had the 600s for like 2 weeks in western Oregon.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What are the advantages of using a post-paid cell plan these days? The big draw used to be the free/subsidized phone but it seems that isn't the case anymore

I've been on prepaid mvnos for over a decade at this point just because the service is like a third of the cost with no real drawbacks that I know of, but maybe I'm missing out on some feature I don't know about that makes post-paid a better deal

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I need HVAC help. I've just moved into a new place and the AC is loud as hell. Whenever it kicks on, there's a loud judder and then the roar of air from the vents. I don't know if the noise is made worse because the apartment is empty and tiled (maybe the echo amplifies it?). It's loud enough to wake me up during the night. Another issue is, the AC is set to 23c, and it'll kick on at 23c and take the room down to about 21c. So there's a lot of kicking on and off, since these cycles last for about 10 minutes. Is there a way I can get it to just maintain a slower air flow so it's on permanently and doesn't kick on and off?

Last question is: is this vent adjustable? I tried pushing on it but nothing happens.

This is the AC unit, maybe there's something I can adjust on this to slow down the airflow?

The thermostat

Is this just to give somewhere for the air put into the room to escape? Cause no air comes out of it.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Manager Hoyden posted:

What are the advantages of using a post-paid cell plan these days? The big draw used to be the free/subsidized phone but it seems that isn't the case anymore

I've been on prepaid mvnos for over a decade at this point just because the service is like a third of the cost with no real drawbacks that I know of, but maybe I'm missing out on some feature I don't know about that makes post-paid a better deal

Inertia mostly. Lots of people also don't want to do the up-front payment and would rather pay extra money tacked onto their monthly bill.

This is based on Canadian cell service plans, I have no experience with those outside of Canada.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Qubee posted:

I need HVAC help. I've just moved into a new place and the AC is loud as hell. Whenever it kicks on, there's a loud judder and then the roar of air from the vents. I don't know if the noise is made worse because the apartment is empty and tiled (maybe the echo amplifies it?). It's loud enough to wake me up during the night. Another issue is, the AC is set to 23c, and it'll kick on at 23c and take the room down to about 21c. So there's a lot of kicking on and off, since these cycles last for about 10 minutes. Is there a way I can get it to just maintain a slower air flow so it's on permanently and doesn't kick on and off?

Not easily, no.

quote:

Last question is: is this vent adjustable? I tried pushing on it but nothing happens.

Not adjustable, but you could rig up some half-baked solution where you tape over part of it. This will probably make it louder.

quote:

This is the AC unit, maybe there's something I can adjust on this to slow down the airflow?

Not that I'm aware of

quote:

Is this just to give somewhere for the air put into the room to escape? Cause no air comes out of it.

It's the return, it sucks air back to the air conditioner unit to be cooled which is then sent back through the vents.

The likely issue is that the a/c unit is bigger / more powerful than the residence needs. This leads to more frequent cycling (since it cools the place down so fast) and excess noise.

That's a strange vent, it's like the kind you see in an office. Is your place a workspace converted to residential?

Look at the a/c compressor, there should be a tag that says its rating in BTU. Reply with that and also the area of your residence, in sq ft or sq meters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there a health care thread?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

is there a health care thread?

There is a health care forum, but so far as I'm aware, there is no general-purpose healthcare thread. Probably to stop non-medical people from lurking it and giving bad medical advice. Make a thread in the forum with your specific issue.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A bottle of bleach we had seems to have sprung a leak. What's the best way to dispose of this thing now?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Not easily, no.

Not adjustable, but you could rig up some half-baked solution where you tape over part of it. This will probably make it louder.

Not that I'm aware of

It's the return, it sucks air back to the air conditioner unit to be cooled which is then sent back through the vents.

The likely issue is that the a/c unit is bigger / more powerful than the residence needs. This leads to more frequent cycling (since it cools the place down so fast) and excess noise.

That's a strange vent, it's like the kind you see in an office. Is your place a workspace converted to residential?

Look at the a/c compressor, there should be a tag that says its rating in BTU. Reply with that and also the area of your residence, in sq ft or sq meters.

You're a HVAC wizard, cheers for answering (the return is a cool fact to know, I always thought they also blew out air). I'm not bothered with the vents, no need to cover them up, I just thought if I was able to divert air from the thernostat room (which cools down quickest) to other rooms, it'd sort out the cycling issue. I'll check the compressor tomorrow and try and find any info. This isn't a workspace, it's an apartment complex, purpose built. It's just everything in the Middle East is done in a really poo poo way and with no proper forethought. Though oddly enough, I think this landlord may have wanted to provide quality, but it's backfired since now the AC is loud as hell. Or the HVAC cowboys he hired did a truly crap job.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know where the vocal samples in this track are from? a bit too generic to find through the search I've done, I just get various general religion sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0LaE2U5FOs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know where the vocal samples in this track are from? a bit too generic to find through the search I've done, I just get various general religion sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0LaE2U5FOs

Try in the "Help me identify a song" thread.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Qubee posted:

You're a HVAC wizard, cheers for answering (the return is a cool fact to know, I always thought they also blew out air). I'm not bothered with the vents, no need to cover them up, I just thought if I was able to divert air from the thernostat room (which cools down quickest) to other rooms, it'd sort out the cycling issue. I'll check the compressor tomorrow and try and find any info. This isn't a workspace, it's an apartment complex, purpose built. It's just everything in the Middle East is done in a really poo poo way and with no proper forethought. Though oddly enough, I think this landlord may have wanted to provide quality, but it's backfired since now the AC is loud as hell. Or the HVAC cowboys he hired did a truly crap job.

Your thermostat may have a "circulate" mode, or should definitely at least have a fan always on mode, that will circulate air around and even out the temperatures more. Fan always being on won't stop the loud bwommmm when the compressor kicks on though, but it may at least let you set the temperature higher so it won't work as hard.

You may also be able to widen the thermostat's dead band (the range of temperature around the setpoint that it allows before triggering) so it doesn't cycle as often.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

alnilam posted:

Your thermostat may have a "circulate" mode, or should definitely at least have a fan always on mode, that will circulate air around and even out the temperatures more. Fan always being on won't stop the loud bwommmm when the compressor kicks on though, but it may at least let you set the temperature higher so it won't work as hard.

You may also be able to widen the thermostat's dead band (the range of temperature around the setpoint that it allows before triggering) so it doesn't cycle as often.

I discovered the always on mode right after my post. It actually does the trick. The sound becomes easier to ignore when it's constant. My only issue is I can't figure out if it's creating a bad enough draft that might affect my birds. How do I widen the thermostat's dead band?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

I mean if you have more than one line then post-paid starts to get more economical the more lines you have.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

I mean if you have more than one line then post-paid starts to get more economical the more lines you have.

I have two lines and my parents have three, and this is my experience. I put us all on the same account, we get better data for cheaper than most of the pre-paid plans out there (plus some free streaming). It was definitely cheaper to do pre-paid when I was only using one line on my own.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I bought a cheap Virgin Mobile burner phone when I was working a convention, and eventually I ended up keeping it over my Sprint phone because it had better reception. It eventually became Boost when they got bought out or something, but I used it for years and never really had a huge problem. I mentioned to my neighbor that my phone was getting old and lovely, and he asked if I wanted to switch to ATT. Apparently he works for them as an in-home specialist.

I got a new Motorola phone at $2/month tacked onto my plan, and between all the incentives and poo poo, I'm paying the about the same for ATT as I was for Boost. Theres just a bunch of benefits. Free HBO Max (That I was paying $15/mo for) $250 bonus for switching over (You can get a gift card, or have it applied to your monthly bill) and a bunch of other poo poo, like money off for going paperless, money off for signing up for auto pay, stuff like that. Also if you're Union, you can get $10/mo per line off, free activation, and some other discounts. The big sell for me was the free hotspot poo poo for jobsites.

Apparently ATT will send out a tech and swap your phone over for you in home now, which just seems wild to me. He had a tablet and a card scanner, and did everything sitting in my living room, including porting my number. I didn't know that was a thing.

I'll tell you in a few months if I hate it or not.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
"Why would they design a phone for drug dealers that tells the cops where you are?" - my (now incarcerated related to an interstate meth conspiracy) buddy in 2003 describing Boost Mobile.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
My buddy who is kind of a dumbass but Is also a “13th degree mason” wants me to join the Masons. Is masonry bullshit or should I join it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It's a fraternity for adults. Do you want to meet people, make friends, and form business connections?