Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

Considering the state of the rest of the Russian military's equipment at every level I would be surprised if even 20% of their strategic warheads could successfully detonate.

Not sure about the %, but nuclear warheads DO have an expiration date, after which they fizzle or don't reach their yields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Allegedly a Russian frigate close to Odessa doing evasive maneuvers and firing its CIWS at something.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1522452548334100480
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1522349841807986688

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
It was allegedly hit/heavily damaged but no real source confirming.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Allegedly a Russian frigate close to Odessa doing evasive maneuvers and firing its CIWS at something.

Either it got hit or it is role playing as the Kamchatka. :rolldice:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just Another Lurker posted:

Either it got hit or it is role playing as the Moskva. :rolldice:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Some guy tweeted that there's no unusual fleet radio traffic the way there was with Moskva so probably nothing unfortunately

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

What was the fire in the Black Sea that NASA picked up a few days ago? Rumor was it was another Russian ship, but the last 2 days have just been a blur for me.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In theory, a sufficiently overwhelming and sudden nuclear first strike can take out an adversary's ability to respond before they get a chance to fire back. Basically take out enough of the Russians' ability to respond before they respond, so the response is survivable.

In practice, this would be such a global catastrophe that it would be hard for anyone involved to claim a win.

Honestly, in a fictional reality if ”the west” was looking for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to gamble for a chance to ”win” the cold war MAD race right about now would be the time to quicksave and try:

-russias newest SLBM system is still not reliable or widespread.
-russias conventional power weakness is very clear.
-Russian defense budget can not have had in real money figures sustain the post-cold war USSR nuclear triad budget-wise between 1991-2022
-Any not-maintained ICBMs should ve way past their best-before date.

And first/foremost:

Russia has very recently spent a poo poo ton of its limited SRBM stockpiles with conventional warheads to blow up Ukrainian farms and schools.

So out of the last ~45 years right now USSR/russia is by far least capable of full-size nuke second strike, possibly the dissolution of USSR and Moscow coup days nonwithstanding.

And no, i am not advocating calling the nuke bluff with a 1st strike. Just noting the power balance shift.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah nuke stuff aside, this is almost certainly the weakest Russia has been conventionally in a very long time, particularly in terms of their ability to respond to something in the East or the North in addition to what they're attempting in Ukraine.

I'm curious how much Russia's stability degrades if they keep throwing their combat forces into a Ukranian meat grinder. Russia is huge and is very much not held together by good-intentions and mutual interest of being a part of Russia. I don't think they're quite at the point of being unable to meet all their security needs, but that point absolutely does exist and they're currently going in that direction, barring some changes in strategy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

OUR POWER IS BASED ON THE PERCEPTION OF OUR POWER. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DAMAGE THIS HAS DONE???

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Russian leadership is full of poo poo, but Medvedyev has got one thing right: a dissolution of Russia is going to be very, very ugly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh sweet if Russia breaks up/balkanizes, the launch codes actually reside with the General Staff of the military, Putin/Shoigu/Gerasimov all have nuclear "briefcases", but Gerasimov has physical control of the launch and arming codes, and can initiate a strike on his own with or without the other 2 agreeing to a launch, unlike the US where the military does not have launch authority or control of any nuclear codes.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Not 100% what that video is supposed to be, but it's not a CIWS going off. That's not an easily mistakeable sound.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

OUR POWER IS BASED ON THE PERCEPTION OF OUR POWER. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DAMAGE THIS HAS DONE???

Ahhh, Chernobyl. Such a great series.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Not 100% what that video is supposed to be, but it's not a CIWS going off. That's not an easily mistakeable sound.

Is it shore artillery hitting around it or something?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ajaxify posted:

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/05/javelin-nlaw-operator-in-ukraine-killed-6-russian-armored-vehicles-in-1-day/

One Ukrainian soldier has reportedly fired 9 Javelins since the beginning of the war, scoring 8 kills and 1 damaging hit; 6 of the kills happening on the same day. Guy deserves a medal.

Time’s man of the year this year really should be ‘Dude with a tube’.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I saw that video a few weeks ago, described then as a Ukrainian corvette firing at an unknown target.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/ASLuhn/s...yEvents%3Dfalse

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In theory, a sufficiently overwhelming and sudden nuclear first strike can take out an adversary's ability to respond before they get a chance to fire back. Basically take out enough of the Russians' ability to respond before they respond, so the response is survivable.

In practice, this would be such a global catastrophe that it would be hard for anyone involved to claim a win.

Oh I understand that, I just meant what is it that the Sentinel, Columbia Class, and Raider will have though could potentially allow for this ability vs are current fleet. Not that I’m encouraging it of course.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Looks like the Admiral Makarov was hit.

https://twitter.com/BWhiteSwan/status/1522579044075716614

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Generation Internet posted:

I saw that video a few weeks ago, described then as a Ukrainian corvette firing at an unknown target.

My mistake for posting bullshit then, hadn't seen it before.

I don't know, that looks an awful lot like video game footage to me, like Arma3 or DCS. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Part of the goal of the tv movie The Day After was to argue against the idea that life could continue after a medium size nuclear exchange, especially that even if the USSR is reduced to atoms it would in no way be a win for the USA. And it was effective in making citizens understand that any desire for a nuclear war wasn't an abstract deterrent but an existential threat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Video aside, Ukraine is claiming that it happened and are using Russian sources to confirm. There's also apparently a rescue and recovery ship that just shut off its beacon and left port.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Part of the goal of the tv movie The Day After was to argue against the idea that life could continue after a medium size nuclear exchange, especially that even if the USSR is reduced to atoms it would in no way be a win for the USA. And it was effective in making citizens understand that any desire for a nuclear war wasn't an abstract deterrent but an existential threat.

Citizens and a certain movie-loving President of the United States

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

God, people loving love movies.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Regardless of the provenance of the clip, that noise (and the little splashes in the water near the ship) could very well be a small autocannon of some sort, even if it doesn't have the distinctive chainsaw noise of the Vulcan.

example: https://twitter.com/annquann/status/1215503533044191233?lang=en

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh I understand that, I just meant what is it that the Sentinel, Columbia Class, and Raider will have though could potentially allow for this ability vs are current fleet. Not that I’m encouraging it of course.

They're a bit faster and/or quieter than their predecessors, which (again with a big IN THEORY disclaimer) makes the first strike more likely to succeed.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Madurai posted:

Regardless of the provenance of the clip, that noise (and the little splashes in the water near the ship) could very well be a small autocannon of some sort, even if it doesn't have the distinctive chainsaw noise of the Vulcan.

example: https://twitter.com/annquann/status/1215503533044191233?lang=en

Lol chainsaw

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
175-225 B-21’s in the inventory means 100 to 150 B-21’s available as a first strike. Let’s say they can each carry between 8 and 10 AGM-181’s. That’s 800-1200 warheads on the low side and 1,000-1,500 on the high side.

With clever planning and ToT practices, we could quite honestly take out everything but Russias SLBM’s. The navy can probably do that, though. We’ve got some pretty bad rear end SSN’s even if the L.A.‘s are getting long in the tooth.

800 warheads is plenty for a complete counterforce / decapitation strike. And it would come from stealth bombers carrying stealth cruise missiles all timed to happen practically at the same time across a target area that spans 12 time zones.

1200 warheads is probably overkill but allows for the time honored tradition of over-targeting.

1,500 warheads is absolutely overkill, with nothing to be gained in practical counterforce terms.

The B-21 opens exciting doors, most of them were hoped to be reached 40 years ago with the ATB/B-2 but thems the breaks. The idea is high sub-Mach speed, stealth, and the ability to be procured and maintained in large numbers. Also being able to carry AGM-181’s is huge, too. As are hypersonics. And conventional cruise missiles.

This gets a lot less exciting if we only procure 75-100, and they’re a bitch to maintain, and they only carry 4-6 AGM-181’s.

If we play the game with those numbers 25-31 bombers for a first strike with 100 to 186 AGM-181’s. That’s a lot less spicy of a first strike.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

175-225 B-21’s in the inventory means 100 to 150 B-21’s available as a first strike. Let’s say they can each carry between 8 and 10 AGM-181’s. That’s 800-1200 warheads on the low side and 1,000-1,500 on the high side.

With clever planning and ToT practices, we could quite honestly take out everything but Russias SLBM’s. The navy can probably do that, though. We’ve got some pretty bad rear end SSN’s even if the L.A.‘s are getting long in the tooth.

800 warheads is plenty for a complete counterforce / decapitation strike. And it would come from stealth bombers carrying stealth cruise missiles all timed to happen practically at the same time across a target area that spans 12 time zones.

1200 warheads is probably overkill but allows for the time honored tradition of over-targeting.

1,500 warheads is absolutely overkill, with nothing to be gained in practical counterforce terms.

The B-21 opens exciting doors, most of them were hoped to be reached 40 years ago with the ATB/B-2 but thems the breaks. The idea is high sub-Mach speed, stealth, and the ability to be procured and maintained in large numbers. Also being able to carry AGM-181’s is huge, too. As are hypersonics. And conventional cruise missiles.

This gets a lot less exciting if we only procure 75-100, and they’re a bitch to maintain, and they only carry 4-6 AGM-181’s.

If we play the game with those numbers 25-31 bombers for a first strike with 100 to 186 AGM-181’s. That’s a lot less spicy of a first strike.

Just for shits and giggles, let's say we achieve a strike of about 1000 warheads going off and completely "win" ie Russia gets off zero nukes and now has no nuclear capability.

1. How bad does that affect the global fallout situation, ie how many neighboring countries to Russia (many of them friendly) are going to get hosed by fall out?
2. What happens next? Would anyone else go ahead and lob off a few nukes at a potential threat while everything is flying? Ie would Pakistan and India just go ahead and gloves off etc? Where would China weigh in on this with their own?

I have no agenda here, just idly wondering how it would all play out in that situation.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
At first impression, with a strike like that the rest of the world's nuclear capable nations would be forced to kill the snot out of the USA right then and there or accept that the US can dictate anything it want to anyone it wants from then on out. If they have proven willing and able to snipe a nation as big as Russia without regard to the fallout hitting their allies and without the russians managing to fire off a meaningful reply, no-one else is going to be safe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That Works posted:

I have no agenda here, just idly wondering how it would all play out in that situation.

Something like this probably

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That Works posted:

Just for shits and giggles, let's say we achieve a strike of about 1000 warheads going off and completely "win" ie Russia gets off zero nukes and now has no nuclear capability.

1. How bad does that affect the global fallout situation, ie how many neighboring countries to Russia (many of them friendly) are going to get hosed by fall out?
2. What happens next? Would anyone else go ahead and lob off a few nukes at a potential threat while everything is flying? Ie would Pakistan and India just go ahead and gloves off etc? Where would China weigh in on this with their own?

Ideally fallout is minimized by maximizing accuracy, air bursting where possible, and minimizing yield. Our next generation of warheads should be sub-Kiloton to 15 kiloton capable. Again, counterforce only here, you only need to use as much boom as is required to kill the target. You are emphatically not trying to kill as many civilians as possible with the explosion / fire.

The B-21 scares the ever loving poo poo out of Russia. In ways the B-2 just couldn’t. If we really do procure a large number, and it delivers, first strike is back on the table. Also if you think I’m talking out my rear end about those really low yield nukes I’d direct you to our most recently deployed warhead.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Ideally fallout is minimized by maximizing accuracy, air bursting where possible, and minimizing yield. Our next generation of warheads should be sub-Kiloton to 15 kiloton capable. Again, counterforce only here, you only need to use as much boom as is required to kill the target. You are emphatically not trying to kill as many civilians as possible with the explosion / fire.

The B-21 scares the ever loving poo poo out of Russia. In ways the B-2 just couldn’t. If we really do procure a large number, and it delivers, first strike is back on the table. Also if you think I’m talking out my rear end about those really low yield nukes I’d direct you to our most recently deployed warhead.

Why is it more scary than the B-2? The higher numbers of it that would be available?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

what game is this from?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Roblo posted:

Why is it more scary than the B-2? The higher numbers of it that would be available?

More stealthy maybe? Idk

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Didn't they only finalize poo poo for the B21 last year? No way we have 200~ right now, that's years of production yet to be done.

I mean, I still believe russian missile command can't launch more than an Estes model rocket at this point, but I'm also sure we don't have $120bil of bombers ready after approval only last year.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

TheWeedNumber posted:

what game is this from?

Shadow President I believe.

[edit] yep! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_President

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I don't know, that looks an awful lot like video game footage to me, like Arma3 or DCS. Happy to be proven wrong though.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1522650765441048578?t=IjJO1phvbkzoLYvS7lYUqQ&s=19