Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Biplane posted:

Just hit da bricks OP

From the sound of it, the bricks have been hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

tired gay and dead posted:

Uhh I've got middling ADHD but I can cook without burning my house down, it just involves a lot of timers with alarms and podcasts to listen to the whole time. You're supposed to develop coping strategies if your meds don't work well enough, not just shrug and say "well I guess it's fine to start fires all the time lol"

From a lifetime of observing my mother wandering off, going upstairs, going outside(?) while cooking, I set rules for myself. No leaving the kitchen, no phone, recipe tablet only if I need it. Music. Stay in the kitchen! Look at the pan!

Personally, I probably don't need the rules as stringently as mom but it's good to never find out.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also if you're too impaired for any reason to be able to use a stove, don't use it. Just like blind people shouldn't get behind the wheel of a car. You have a responsibility to yourself and others to live within the reasonable boundaries of your personal limitations

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The first time you walk away from the stove and set off the fire alarm is the last time you get to use the stove unsupervised. As someone who has ADHD I have no sympathy for someone that irresponsible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Like the guy who's wife was leaving him after 7 years of loving up, including forgetting to pick up their child multiple times while he was playing League of Legends, the person in this story is doing absolutely 0 to manage her condition and is supremely cavalier about nearly burning down a house because "I have ADHD" so the whole idea that she is medicated and in therapy reeks of bullshit.

All the other tasks are classic hated chores that no one likes doing so she's also using that as an excuse to not do chores. Sure, you might forget about a dirty plate, but when you see it again later you should think "poo poo, I need to clean this now" and not shrug expecting your partner to pick up after you.

oh, also this whole bit

quote:

I’ve responded to somebody else who asked the same question, but it’s pretty much buried so I’ll paste it here: Before we lived together, she lived with her mother and would hire help around the house (a maid to clean up, a service that would deliver meals for the week, etc...) But that was when she had a full time job, shortly before we moved in together, the stress of her full time job became overwhelming so she switched to a 10hr/week job, which obviously meant that none of the other services became sustainable financially. I work and go to school so I couldn’t afford them either.

sounds like she just decided to move in with the hired help

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 6, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not like the other girls (I'm a fire hazard)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

From the sound of it, the bricks have been hit

That dude has sunk cost syndrome and I am afraid for him

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Biplane posted:

That dude has sunk cost syndrome and I am afraid for him

quote:

Girlfriend (28F) and I (24F) have moved in together february.

Not a dude

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

8one6 posted:

The first time you walk away from the stove and set off the fire alarm is the last time you get to use the stove unsupervised. As someone who has ADHD I have no sympathy for someone that irresponsible.

LOL years ago, my dad did this while he was watching my dog for the day. I came by to pick my dog up and the house smelled like poo poo, my dog was confused, and my dad was pissed. Turned out he was making some eggs when my dog scratched at the door to go out, so dad just... Left the eggs cooking and took the dog for a walk. This was somehow my dog's fault.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You need to hit back against weaponized mental health with your own weaponized mental health. "Your constant cooking fires are giving me ANXIETY ATTACKS. You need to stop because I have ANXIETY! I've developed a serious phobia around unattended cooking and its impacting my mental health, please respect my conditions"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That woman has sunk cost syndrome and I am afraid for her

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Baronjutter posted:

You need to hit back against weaponized mental health with your own weaponized mental health. "Your constant cooking fires are giving me ANXIETY ATTACKS. You need to stop because I have ANXIETY! I've developed a serious phobia around unattended cooking and its impacting my mental health, please respect my conditions"

What would that accomplish besides making mental health issues look more unserious, there's nothing to be gained playing with these particular kind of manipulators at their game. Just excise from your life them like the tumors they are

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This is my favorite genre of story and I never tire of these. :allears:

AITA for unlocking my personal items box to teach my snooping father a lesson?

quote:

I (29M) have a father (67M) who has always been a huge control freak over most aspects of my life. It's always his way, or the highway. Yes, even as I am almost about to turn 30, he always asks questions about things that he finds or that I do with my life. He has consistently went through my personal items as well growing up and even now.

Well, I've honestly been tired of it. As I have lived away from him, the stuff I have collected as someone who is gay, has a boyfriend, into a lot of interesting things... you get the picture. My dildos, plugs, pup hoods, handcuffs, you name it, is in that box.

So this weekend... my father decided to visit me for an extended weekend. And of course, he has questioned everything I have organized and how I have done it to which I say, if you want to clean it or do better, be my guest; I'll be at my computer gaming. I also told him to please not go through my certain box in the back closet, but he could clean and do whatever he wants with the rest of my closet/apartment.

I go outside to get the mail and come back, and there he is with a clearly traumatized look on his face as he sees one of my dildos and pup hoods as my box I told him not to go into is completely open. He asked if it was for my girlfriend (still refuses to accept I am gay) and I say no, my BF and I use that. I then added that it serves him right for feeling the way he is after I told him clearly to not go through that box, and that he should respect the privacy I should have as someone who is turning 30 and is independent.

We were going to go sightseeing in my town but now he's in the main room just staring down at the floor clearly upset by what I said to him. However, I clearly told him to not go through my stuff, and he did, so I feel like he has no one to blame but himself. AITA?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

The Glumslinger posted:

AITA for telling gf I don’t care about her ADHD ?

Chronic fecal encephalopathy is often misdiagnosed as ADHD.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I think the ones I like the least are the patently obviously normal-adjusted folks fishing for confirmation on how right they were with their obviously normal choices.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

DandyLion posted:

I think the ones I like the least are the patently obviously normal-adjusted folks fishing for confirmation on how right they were with their obviously normal choices.
Agreed. Have one that's the opposite.

AITA for not emptying the dishwasher?

quote:

Reading the title does make me seem like an AH, but hear me out.

Me (m21) and my roomie (f22) who is also one of my best friends, have the luxury to own a dishwasher. I grew up without one and I prefer washing by hand. It’s a relaxing activity and I only really use the dishwasher if there’s a lot of dirty dishes. So it’s not like we have dirty plates and stuff on the counter.

We don’t have a lot of cabinet space and can barely fit everything we need. Right now the coffee mugs share space with beans and lentils for example.

So, I prefer to use the dishwasher as a “holding” place. It’s a perfect place to dry the hand washed plates etc. My roomie tells me this is useless, but the thing is, she doesn’t run the dishwasher more than once a day because we don’t use a lot. Sure, she rinses them but imo it’s pretty disgusting to have dirty things sitting there for hours. So I just keep it this place of clean dishes and a holding place so we can actually fit rice and stuff into our cabinets.

She calls me an rear end in a top hat for basically keeping the dishwasher occupied with clean dishes and never emptying it. I rarely empty it unless I need something from there. She’s upset that she cant use it if she doesn’t put everything away. But it’s just so much easier and quicker to hand wash.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
That dishwasher one is a good one, I am equally angry and confused. OP should wash all roommate's dishes by hand if they aren't going to let them use the dishwasher.

Gonna go give my dishwasher a big smooch so it knows how much I appreciate it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

hallo spacedog posted:

This eyedrop accusation is very specific and that concerns me.

Didn't that show up in a movie fairly recently?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

hallo spacedog posted:

It was supposed to say ipecac but the op got got by autocorrect

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

run on sentience posted:

That dishwasher one is a good one, I am equally angry and confused. OP should wash all roommate's dishes by hand if they aren't going to let them use the dishwasher.

Gonna go give my dishwasher a big smooch so it knows how much I appreciate it.

I'm using the oven to store bags of chips and my roommate keeps melting them when he preheats it for cooking. I don't like to cook and we don't have a lot of storeage space but he refuses to check every time before turning in the oven and I want him to replace my chips

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Didn't that show up in a movie fairly recently?

Not recent but wedding crashers

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
People who insist on handwashing their dishes when a dishwasher is available are just the weirdest. No it isn't easier. No it isn't quicker. And it isn't even more ecologically sound. Just stick that poo poo in the washing machine and get on with your life.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Someone post the COVID coffee guy who's dishwasher was full of coffee makers and beans

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just run the dishwasher with half dirty and half clean dishes, it won't care or use any more water

Unless the dishwasher is so full of clean dishes that you can't fit dirty dishes in it, in which case throw out some dishes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s like OP thinks that by forcing them to hand wash everything they’ll come around and accept it’s the one true way and not just think he’s an rear end

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AKA Pseudonym posted:

People who insist on handwashing their dishes when a dishwasher is available are just the weirdest. No it isn't easier. No it isn't quicker. And it isn't even more ecologically sound. Just stick that poo poo in the washing machine and get on with your life.

I've just never really used a dishwasher myself so it's weird. I also don't make enough dirty dishes per day to fill the dishwasher, but I want to clear my sink of dishes every night before bed (going back to the ADHD thing, I don't know if I have that or anything like it, but I've found the best way to make sure I do the dishes is to make it into a daily routine I don't have to make a decision to do).

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

DoubleNegative posted:

Another example of someone who refuses to understand "Don't go snooping, you just might find what you're looking for." I hope he's happy finding what he was looking for and having to live with that info.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Maybe just shift the paradigm entirely and put the dirty dishes up in the cabinet from now on and keep the clean ones in the dishwasher?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

How dare you forget the life lessons taught to us by the immortal film classic Good Burger.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A dishwasher is objectively better than handwashing. Find something relaxing to do with your hands that uses less water

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

A dishwasher is objectively better than handwashing. Find something relaxing to do with your hands that uses less water

We don't have water issues in this part of the country, and if nothing else hand washing doesn't use up electricity. :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

A lot of Asian families, both South and East, refuse to use their dishwashers because they believe that hand washing is cleaner (no specks of food on dishes). This was referenced in the TV show "Fresh Off The Boat".

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ziv Zulander posted:

It was supposed to say ipecac but the op got got by autocorrect

No, swallowing Visine or similar eye drops will make you sick. It can also kill you or put you in a coma though, so it’s not a good idea to poison someone with it unless you don’t care how it ends and are willing to go to prison.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A lot of Asian families, both South and East, refuse to use their dishwashers because they believe that hand washing is cleaner (no specks of food on dishes). This was referenced in the TV show "Fresh Off The Boat".

From the perspective of pathogens, this is not so

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Not a him, but everyone is a dude to those of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

PokeJoe posted:

I'm using the oven to store bags of chips and my roommate keeps melting them when he preheats it for cooking. I don't like to cook and we don't have a lot of storeage space but he refuses to check every time before turning in the oven and I want him to replace my chips

maybe you could store them somewhere that isn't heavily used by cooks? I'd be pissed if I had to move your chips every time I wanted to cook.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

hallo spacedog posted:

Visine is the preferred poison employed by mother in laws. See also: the Dear Prudence where OP is poisoned by her MIL at every big family meal

DoubleNegative posted:

OP fuckin' owns

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

nashona posted:

maybe you could store them somewhere that isn't heavily used by cooks? I'd be pissed if I had to move your chips every time I wanted to cook.

Why it's almost as if this is a fictitious absurdity intentionally analogous to the central conflict of the original post :ssh:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Why it's almost as if this is a fictitious absurdity intentionally analogous to the central conflict of the original post :ssh:

That might work if it wasn’t such a common occurrence for idiots to store non-oven-safe items inside of ovens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

DemoneeHo posted:

Visine is the preferred poison employed by mother in laws. See also: the Dear Prudence where OP is poisoned by her MIL at every big family meal

An all-timer:

OP posted:

Dear Prudence,
My mother-in-law hates me and makes no bones about it when she and I are alone. My husband doesn’t believe me, and she even gloats about that. We have to attend family functions at her home about once a month. (It used to be more frequent, but after I put my foot down, my husband agreed that monthly would be sufficient.)

The problem is that after each visit, I wind up with a bad case of diarrhea; my husband does not. I don’t know if the other in-laws are affected, because if I asked, it would get back to her. I suspect that my mother-in-law is putting something in my food or drink. Last time, I barely made it home before being struck down. Now I am considering getting some “adult undergarments” to make sure I don’t ruin the car’s upholstery on the ride home from her place. Do you have any other advice?

—Running for the Hills

Prudence posted:

Dear Running,
In the great old Cary Grant movie Suspicion, director Alfred Hitchcock has a scene in which possible murderer Grant is bringing a glass of milk to his wife, played by Joan Fontaine, and no beverage has ever looked so malign. Just as Fontaine wasn’t sure if she was being poisoned, you aren’t either.

It’s possible you’ve entered a Pavlovian cycle in which when you eat your mother-in-law’s food your digestive tract automatically goes into overdrive, or that there is some ingredient she regularly uses which just doesn’t agree with you. It’s also possible she’s trying to harm you. I’ve been reading a fascinating book, The Poisoner’s Handbook, about poisoners in the early 20th century—it was a popular way to off someone—and the new forensic scientists who exposed them. Peek at your mother-in-law’s Kindle to see if she’s downloaded this. The next time you go for dinner at her house, after the food is served but before you begin eating, you and your husband should agree to swap plates and cups. If you mother-in-law screams to her son, “Don’t eat that!” case closed, Sherlock.

Of course, this would require your husband to take your concerns seriously. It’s alarming to think your mother-in-law might be deliberately sickening you. Equally distressing is the fact that your husband does not believe you when you describe her malicious behavior. You need to tell your husband that after becoming repeatedly ill at your in-law’s house, you have become afraid for your health.

Tell him you are also afraid for your marriage because he apparently believes you are a liar—which you are not—when it comes to his mother. Say that he needs to take seriously the fact that she says ugly things when you and she are alone, and you are not going to stand for it anymore. If that doesn’t result in his attention and concern, then you may need to move to your mother’s.

UPDATE

op posted:

A couple of months ago you answered my letter asking for advice regarding a situation involving my hateful mother-in-law, whom I suspected of tainting my food or drink at family functions at her home. You had suggested swapping plates with my husband to see if my mother-in-law would react.

However, as you noted, that would have required bringing my husband into my confidence. I did not feel it was wise to do that, because he already didn’t believe that his mother treated me badly. But the next function was at Easter. She provided a traditional prime rib dinner, set up buffet style, and I could see no way that could be problematic.

However, when we arrived at her home, the dinner table was set with place cards and in front of each was a ramekin of horseradish sauce and a small pitcher of au jus. When nobody was looking, I switched the ramekin and pitcher between my husband’s place and mine. After my husband and I returned home, he became wracked with diarrhea, but I was not ill at all.

In the morning I told him that I had switched the horseradish and au jus. He looked at me with such hatred in his eyes that I knew he had known all along what his mother was up to. His only words were to accuse me of poisoning him! I quickly packed a couple of bags and raced out of there. I have hired a divorce lawyer and I won’t be looking back. Thank you and your commenters for your advice and concern.

—Alive To Tell the Story

Prudence posted:

Dear Alive,
I so appreciate your giving us this chilling, stomach-turning update. Thank goodness you got out before your mother-in-law’s condiments turned lethal. When you confer with your divorce attorney, do ask about the possibility of criminal charges. And Readers, on this coming Mother’s Day, if your mother thinks you’re beautiful just the way you are, and your mother-in-law is not trying to kill you, happily lift a glass of (unpoisoned) champagne and celebrate the women in your life.