Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

naem posted:

it could be argued that art directors will still be making decisions just with this as a time and labor saving tool, there will just be fewer people in the coal mines scribbling away under them

one question I have is about copyright, how do you enforce infringement of IP if a certain art style counts legally if an AI imitates it successfully

Why would the law around copyright have to be addressed? Do the standards for fair use change if the original art is altered by a team of artists vs AI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

All the key phrases I've seen people put in are specifically what they want to see, but what happens if you put in a bunch of non-sequitur adjectives, like "humble tall ardent fast" or whatever.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why would the law around copyright have to be addressed? Do the standards for fair use change if the original art is altered by a team of artists vs AI?

plus there's the argument that the AI is the same kind of tool as a printing press or a pencil or something: you decided to AI up a pic of mickey mouse eating queso? Same consequences as if you did it by hand, disney breaks the door in and makes you eat dirt.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

plus there's the argument that the AI is the same kind of tool as a printing press or a pencil or something: you decided to AI up a pic of mickey mouse eating queso? Same consequences as if you did it by hand, disney breaks the door in and makes you eat dirt.

This has always seemed like the most logical answer with the addendum that they might somehow decide how much ai is too much and draw a line saying the output's not eligible for copyright

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
AI can spit this stuff out so fast though, you don't just get "a" queso mickey, you get one every quarter second.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Who cares about copyright in the future, nobody is gonna even watch disney when they can just stay home and go "Computer, give me a cool 2 hour animation of anthropomorphic animals having a wacky adventure saving a princess or something"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Alchemist posted:

Who cares about copyright in the future, nobody is gonna even watch disney when they can just stay home and go "Computer, give me a cool 2 hour animation of anthropomorphic animals having a wacky adventure saving a princess or something"

Yeah it's going to rule

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Those are cool but making your own art is more rewarding. Don't even see an option to buy prints smdh.

I see why this is useful but don't go snapping your pencils and tossing your paints, traditional art will hopefully always have a place.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
But if someone else wants to generate a tapdancing guinea pig with a cold slice of pizza...I wouldn't complain.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What, art for the sake of the artist? Absolute trash

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Treecko posted:

Those are cool but making your own art is more rewarding. Don't even see an option to buy prints smdh.

I see why this is useful but don't go snapping your pencils and tossing your paints, traditional art will hopefully always have a place.

Long ago I was interested in what we refer to as digital art today: Photoshop, digital painting, 3D, etc.. Was speaking to an art college at the time about trying to study that kind of thing for a degree. Their response nearly 20 years ago was literally, "We don't consider that real art."

Today, they apparently consider them enough of real art to offer up 'digital media'-style degree programs and their requirements for entry for most of their art programs apparently now include something of a class focused around that.

It's possible that in 20 years from now, something like this will be a requirement by art schools in some capacity. Not the actual 'develop an AI to do the art', but 'you're going to have to know how to use a platform like this to exactly generate a specific design in your art creation.'

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Treecko posted:

Yeah this is the future that Marx dreamed of. When everything gets automated we are left with just doing the things we like :) when art is no longer lucrative economically - because the business suits can just order 10 new movie scripts from an AI in just one day - the only motivation left is doing art for the sake of art. And thats good.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
We just have to kill the rich before they kill us, and we are golden

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

stratdax posted:

All the key phrases I've seen people put in are specifically what they want to see, but what happens if you put in a bunch of non-sequitur adjectives, like "humble tall ardent fast" or whatever.

It doesn't generate anything useful (but it tries its best :kimchi:) but same thing if you asked had asked a human to describe in words what you meant, or to draw you something with a nonsense sentence. People would just be bewildered and couldn't produce output either.

Every interaction we have is sort of a "what we want to see" thing. Words, text, images, touch, everything.

There has to be some intention of why we are communicating, or it's just word salad.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 6, 2022

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Welp I'm not sure what else to say. I was always told not to even get into art as a career because the pay sucks and you get treated worse.

It's still a passion of mine and I'm sorry some of your livelihoods are gonna get wrecked from this that's genuinely awful. It's more of a fun thing for me and you can always sell stuff on Etsy or whatever I'm a simple goon.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Treecko posted:

Because this isn't a company trying to make money with this. It's a mutli billion $ fundamental research lab funded by tech giants. They don't want to make $1.50 on print sales now, they want to control the majority of all economic activity in two or three decades by being the pioneer in commercial exploitation of AI. Trillions and trillions of dollars, wealth beyond measure, power beyond your wildest imagination *makes the money hand gesture*

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Oh OK I understand now.

I think we should burn it then. Right to the ground. I know a place to get gas and Styrofoam. We can kill the server or the cloud.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I just want to add that OpenAI has also demonstrated AI that can generate good music and AI that can produce basic boilerplate code. So everyone who doesn't do live shows or does higher level software architecture/engineering is hosed too

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Treecko posted:

I think we should burn it then. Right to the ground. I know a place to get gas and Styrofoam. We can kill the server or the cloud.

I don't think it likes that idea.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Dall-E-2, please show a picture of me happy and successful

Dall-E-2, respond

Dall-E-2 I command you to respond

Contact lost with Dall-E-2

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

The Butcher posted:

It doesn't generate anything useful (but it tries its best :kimchi:) but same thing if you asked had asked a human to describe in words what you meant, or to draw you something with a nonsense sentence. People would just be bewildered and couldn't produce output either.

Every interaction we have is sort of a "what we want to see" thing. Words, text, images, touch, everything.

There has to be some intention of why we are communicating, or it's just word salad.

This is known in human terms as "Any job where you do graphic design for clients"

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Songbearer posted:

Dall-E-2 I command you to respond

Contact lost with Dall-E-2

Contact reestablished.

Kneel, meat.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Butcher posted:

:shuckyes:

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Fully automated communism capitalism. Im sure Elon and Bezos will feed us even if our labor has no value.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
I am kind of skeptical that a machine could really make art. I mean of course it's possible physically because a person is just kind of a machine, right? But a person is a person. When a person is doing all those things that AI does, when they take in information and make associations, they're becoming themselves. When they then express themselves, those informations and associations are transformed having been intimately related to that person. This happens to some degree with a computer, but I don't think it's the same, simply because they're much more isolated and superficial in their relation to information. For a computer to really make art, it's not just about it being super-smart. It's about it having a personal relationship with the world around it.

I kind of think that if art is eventually made primarily by computers, it'll just kind of gently caress up the genetics of the whole thing like pure inbreeding. Maybe if they remove the gruntwork from art? I don't know, I think that deserves to be approached with caution as well.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Somehow every painting hung in museums will become variants of pregnant Elsa getting dental surgery performed by Spiderman

naem
May 29, 2011

Treecko posted:

Welp I'm not sure what else to say. I was always told not to even get into art as a career because the pay sucks and you get treated worse.

It's still a passion of mine and I'm sorry some of your livelihoods are gonna get wrecked from this that's genuinely awful. It's more of a fun thing for me and you can always sell stuff on Etsy or whatever I'm a simple goon.

I have a terminal mfa and several years exp in graphic design and 100% left creative work professionally, to illustrate why please have the following animated gif:

the toilets are now moving themselves

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

HJE-Cobra posted:

Somehow every painting hung in museums will become variants of pregnant Elsa getting dental surgery performed by Spiderman

:shrug: The computer says it's art. Who are we to judge?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

it's doing deliberate face warping for liability issues as i understand it

The dall-e mini one (not from the dall-e-2 creators) is just not trained as long and a smaller model, so it just doesn't have the capability to do faces. They have a short limitation and biases section on their writeup, where they say that "Faces and people in general are not generated properly" and "Animals are usually unrealistic". Their version was trained for only like a couple days, and is reportedly 27 times smaller than the dall-e-1 model. They also address the fact that their model predominantly generates white people.

It's interesting what things the model can and can't do well. I found that the watercolor style can give good results. I tried radish lightbulb and watercolor radish lightbulb.

vs

another prompt: bird with flower feathers vs watercolor bird with flower feathers.

vs

The watercolor prompt seems to keep it more focused or something. It will also tend to give a single object in the center with a white/plain background which maybe helps it too.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

naem posted:

I have a terminal mfa

they call it a terminal degree because you die from having it!!!!!!nnnn!

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

The Butcher posted:

Somebody please try “dignity” as a prompt, TIA.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

take_it_slow posted:

You don't have to like it, but this is what peak dignity looks like.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Glorious Machine God?

Y E S ?

We beg you to show us a vision of your glorious future.

A C C E P T A B L E .

K N O W.

A N D.

W E E P.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
ooo I just found this one and it seems to work:
https://replicate.com/afiaka87/laionide-v3

oh it's weird as hell tho:

"woman in a car"

"weed vacation"

also found this one and it seems to work as well:
https://replicate.com/pixray/text2image

this one is dope tho it has a slider to show you the AI generation progression, it's really freaky tbh.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 6, 2022

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

take_it_slow posted:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

LifeSunDeath posted:

ooo I just found this one and it seems to work:
https://replicate.com/afiaka87/laionide-v3

oh it's weird as hell tho:

"woman in a car"

"weed vacation"

also found this one and it seems to work as well:
https://replicate.com/pixray/text2image

this one doesn't seem to know what anything is