Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I honestly think the best court reform would be all supreme court cases are decided by a random selection of 11 (or whatever number you want) upper court appellate judges and restrict the justices to some ceremonial role of overseeing the questions. The courts become a lot harder to game, you get a more impartial and diverse view of law, and the supreme court losses it's stranglehold.

That would create an incredible instability as the way the constitution is interpreted changes by the luck of the draw.

A better solution would be to amend the constitution in a way that is less prone to interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not remotely expert on how Canadian constitutional law functions, but some googling and reading indicates their courts are able to review and annul legislation for violation of the constitution. Otherwise the constitution wouldn't act as supreme law.

Maybe it's changed but the preview for this JSTOR article from 2002 says the legislature in Canada has an option that Congress doesn't:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3505113

Though I do think what's tripped me up is how our Supreme Court has been captured by an extremist faction in a decades-long project and is doing its own policy making which is probably not happening in other countries. Even if we had weak judicial review it's not like Congress would pass abortion protections.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Doc Hawkins posted:

being right, being funny, being "properly considered": none of these things save anyone. only power can do that. only being in a position to decide what happens will help you decide what happens.

You're just arguing against the concept of laws in general, then.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Groovelord Neato posted:

Maybe it's changed but the preview for this JSTOR article from 2002 says the legislature in Canada has an option that Congress doesn't:

Though I do think what's tripped me up is how our Supreme Court has been captured by an extremist faction in a decades-long project and is doing its own policy making which is probably not happening in other countries.

It should be noted that this is actually pretty bad and the "notwithstanding clause" was inserted to get everyone on board with the constitution as written. The clause has rarely been used, and it's generally accepted here that it shouldn't be used and it loving sucks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Though I do think what's tripped me up is how our Supreme Court has been captured by an extremist faction in a decades-long project and is doing its own policy making which is probably not happening in other countries.

Interesting, this is referred to in other sources as the "notwithstanding clause", and it applies to specific parts of the constitution only. It re-enacts the law for a five-year period to give the legislature a chance to withdraw it, giving them a sort of parliamentary court override supremacy. It's also apparently very controversial, and a relatively recent invention. Folks in canpol may be able to provide more context.

e:f;b apparently!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Don't need to bring it back it's always been legal in one capacity and this Court certainly isn't gonna take kindly to defendants' rights.

Yes but it’s always been hidden under layers of wage exploitation or poor protections for prisoners. I’m talking about full-on owning people as an individual.

Oh God, I can hear the Ben Shapiro segment now…

“Um, ACTUALLY it’s not chattel slavery it’s INDENTURED SERVITUDE. The left is being so disingenuous about this.” :smug:

Mooseontheloose posted:

I honestly think the best court reform would be all supreme court cases are decided by a random selection of 11 (or whatever number you want) upper court appellate judges and restrict the justices to some ceremonial role of overseeing the questions. The courts become a lot harder to game, you get a more impartial and diverse view of law, and the supreme court losses it's stranglehold.

The problem with any “one weird trick” to fix the SCOTUS is that the issues go way deeper than the SCOTUS itself. The current moment is the result of a concerted effort by a psychotic ruling class with enough money and power to buy the results they desire. You don’t fix that by packing the courts or something.

People need to stop thinking about politics as a game of rules lawyering and more as an ongoing negotiation with various interest groups and institutions. The rules only matter so much and will be ignored whenever possible. The real goal should be to get enough power to strongarm the other side into making meaningful concessions.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 6, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

readingatwork posted:

Yes but it’s always been hidden under layers of wage exploitation or poor protections for prisoners. I’m talking about full-on owning people as an individual.

Oh God, I can hear the Ben Shapiro segment now…

“Um, ACTUALLY it’s not chattel slavery it’s INDENTURED SERVITUDE. The left is being so disingenuous about this.” :smug:

I know never say never but the amendment is pretty clear on slavery. They can carry out their ideological project without going that far.

And you're right the Supreme Court is only one part of a much larger problem. The reason the reactionary takeover of the Court works so well is because of how lovely the rest of our system is.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Criminalizing abortions makes it easy to incarcerate women and especially minority women for miscarriages and that directly strengthens the for-profit prison pipeline which itself is the modern slavery analogue.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I know never say never but the amendment is pretty clear on slavery. They can carry out their ideological project without going that far.

And you're right the Supreme Court is only one part of a much larger problem. The reason the reactionary takeover of the Court works so well is because of how lovely the rest of our system is.

You know the US still had actual slavery until around WW2 right?

https://www.newsweek.com/book-american-slavery-continued-until-1941-93231 posted:

One part of neoslavery, "convict leasing," was the sentencing of prisoners to hard labor or to fine them outrageously, and [then] they were leased out to commercial interests such as farms, coal mines, turpentine production plants, lumber and railroad camps. This was the means by which the white South forced millions of other African-Americans to go along with de facto slavery that took on the form of sharecropping, abusive farm tenancy, land renting and labor contracts.

in Alabama at least 200,000 African-American men were subjected to the most systematic form of neoslavery, the convict-leasing system.

The courts upheld it too.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

The words in the constitution only matter if there’s some mechanism in place to enforce it. And the mechanism in this case is… *checks notes* the SCOTUS. poo poo.

I can very easily see conservatives getting around this by calling slavery something else and tweaking the core concept a bit. That’s kind of the problem here. If the SCOTUS decides that slavery isn’t really slavery then there’s no real legal recourse short of a constitutional amendment. And even that can be worked around.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Courts upheld it because the 13th was written in an awful way. We still have actual slavery today in prisons. This Court is going to exacerbate any issues with the criminal "justice" system unless we get lucky with Gorsuch and Thomas's weirdness when it comes to this stuff and the stars align perfectly.

edit: christ this poo poo is so dumb

Why Justice Alito’s Draft Opinion in Dobbs Doesn’t Threaten Gay Marriage
Why are the issues different? Because Justice Alito says they’re different.

quote:

It is a perilous business predicting the decisions of the Supreme Court. That’s why one should never scoff at thoughtful opposing arguments, but the principal reason I don’t believe that Dobbs will impact gay marriage (or contraceptives, much less interracial marriage or consensual adult sexual intimacy) is the language of Dobbs itself. Justice Alito says his opinion “does not undermine” the cases that form the foundation of Obergefell “in any way.”

There are those who may simply disbelieve Alito, but if his draft opinion holds as written, it will be precedent for the idea that abortion is substantially legally different from gay marriage. It does not treat the two issues the same, and if the Supreme Court is going to limit the rights of consenting adults to privacy, intimacy, and marital relationships, it won’t do so through Dobbs.

https://newsletters.theatlantic.com/the-third-rail/627535eb95033600218457a5/roe-v-wade-obergefell-gay-marriage/

He made the same argument in Dobbs as he did in his dissent in Obergefell. Evil or stupid is always a tough game because French is both.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 6, 2022

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
As I understand it though, one way the US is unlike a lot of the rest of the world is the extent to which case law produces binding precedents beyond the scope of the current case. Like in a typical civil law country like most of Europe, it's still the job of a court to decide if a law is ambiguous on something, like if it might conflict with other higher laws. But the decision isn't something other courts in the future have to follow and it's expected that the legislature fix it. Which isn't always better, but it means you couldn't have really had a situation like now where abortion is legal nationwide due to case law but lots of states have non-functional zombie laws on the books banning it.

I'm not a lawyer though, just had to research a little to distinguish civil law vs common law systems a while back and that's what I gathered from it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Comparing court systems is difficult because the United States doesn't have a professional judiciary the way that other countries often do. Basically anyone can be a judge, and Supreme Court judges are selected by their political parties for their political reliability rather than their experience or competency. French judges go to a competitive school and study for years, and their supreme court equivalent has dozens of members. German judges are selected via an elaborate and multifaceted system, must have an extensive and specific work history (and education), and their twelve supreme court justice equivalents have limited terms in terms of age and duration.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Interesting, this is referred to in other sources as the "notwithstanding clause", and it applies to specific parts of the constitution only. It re-enacts the law for a five-year period to give the legislature a chance to withdraw it, giving them a sort of parliamentary court override supremacy. It's also apparently very controversial, and a relatively recent invention. Folks in canpol may be able to provide more context.

e:f;b apparently!

Yes, the notwithstanding clause was a hack put in Canada's 1982 constitution to somehow have a constitution that is the supreme law of the land while still preserving parliamentary supremacy. The clause allows provinces and the federal government to overrule the constitution on certain things, theoretically indefinitely as long as the people of that province continue to elect governments that want to continue using the notwithstanding clause. In practice it's not used very often (though for a while in the 80s the government of Quebec put the notwithstanding clause in every piece of legislation they passed because they didn't like the new constitution and didn't want to be bound by it). These days if it does get used, or if its use is threatened, it tends to be controversial because Canadians have become accustomed to the same kind of rights-first discourse as Americans and don't particularly like the idea of the government being able to unilaterally decide their rights are suspended. As with most things in politics these days though, it's highly partisan: if your team is doing the rights suspending then it's fine and if the other team is doing it then it's tyranny, but because Canada isn't a one-party system it tends to mean 60% of the country sees it as tyranny instead of just 50%.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Killer robot posted:

As I understand it though, one way the US is unlike a lot of the rest of the world is the extent to which case law produces binding precedents beyond the scope of the current case. Like in a typical civil law country like most of Europe, it's still the job of a court to decide if a law is ambiguous on something, like if it might conflict with other higher laws. But the decision isn't something other courts in the future have to follow

There’s a hierarchy between decisions in the US system between which decisions each court is bound to follow, roughly:

(For US constitutional rights or interpretations of federal law):

1. US Supreme Court
2. En banc (full court) opinion from the Court of Appeals in your area
3. Panel (3 judge) opinion from the Court of Appeals in your area

Each binding only the people down in the hierarchy, so the en banc Court of Appeals can reverse a prior panel decision, and other Courts of Appeals can ignore each other, and district court opinions don’t bind anyone other than the parties, etc.

(For state constitutional rights or interpretations of federal law):

1. State highest court (usually but not always the Supreme Court of State)
2. State intermediate court (usually Court of Appeals) (possibly divided by area of the state) en banc
3. Panel of State intermediate court

The above is, of course, an oversimplication in various regards.

…now, all that having been said, while it is true that each trial court is free to reach a decision which disagrees with another trial court, each court of appeals is free to disagree with another, etc…

…it is also true that “treat like cases alike” is a fundamental tenet of judicial fairness and equality, so that prior cases should not be ignored except for good reason.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 6, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tagesschau posted:

Laws are by their nature political; there is no such thing as an apolitical law. Even something as fundamentally basic as "murder is illegal" is political in nature and has political implications. What constitutes murder, and are there degrees? If so how are those degrees defined? Who gets to prosecute a murder? How are murders punished? Who gets to decide all of the above and why do they get to do so? For laws to mean anything they need to have somebody to enforce them and some type of standard to enforce them to, and those inherently give power to some groups over others.

Even if you found a cave filled with nine eminently qualified US constitutional scholars who had somehow remained 100% isolated from modern politics and held no political opinions of their own, then they would still be bound to making decisions via interpreting a biased document written by a bunch of rich white slave owners who were first and foremost concerned about protecting their own wealth and liberties from a tyrannical government. There's a reason why "originalist" tends to mean "conservative rear end in a top hat."

tl;dr SCOTUS is political by its very nature and always has been because its job is to rule on the constitutionality of laws when the constitution is a political document and laws are inherently political in nature.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 7, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Dems should ignore the Supreme Court rulings and state as much. There is precedence for it and there is nothing in the constitution granting explicit powers to the Supreme Court to enact their rulings.

What would ignoring the rulings look like? For example, if Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization went ahead as per the leak, what should Democrats currently in power do to enforce Roe v. Wade? Aside from passing legislation, since that wouldn't require ignoring the ruling.

In addition, what specific precedents are you referring to? And what do you mean by the power to enact rulings?

Koos Group fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 6, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Koos Group posted:

What would ignoring the rulings look like? For example, if Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization went ahead as per the leak, what should Democrats currently in power do to enforce Roe v. Wade? Aside from passing legislation, since that wouldn't require ignoring the ruling.

In addition, what specific precedents are you referring to? And what do you mean by the power to enact rulings?

In order

- Sending national guards to protect clinics

- Andrew Jackson in Worcester v. Georgia

- the Supreme Court has no standing army or armed forces to enact violence and a national level to ensure their rulings are followed. It requires the cooperation of the executive branch.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 6, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Koos Group posted:

As long as they hold the executive Biden or whatever Dem is president could simply direct federal enforcement agencies not to act on the SCOTUS ruling and the DOJ to not prosecute any federal cases regarding "illegal" abortions.

Granted that doesn't really do much to stop red states from prosecuting people on their own and using state/local law enforcement to shutter clinics and harass providers. If you're talking extreme measures Biden could federalize the national guards of any red states attempting to exercise laws that run afoul of Roe and use them to guard abortion providers and escort people in/out of clinics Little Rock Nine style. I fully admit though that I do not think the political will exists for that at all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sydin posted:

As long as they hold the executive Biden or whatever Dem is president could simply direct federal enforcement agencies not to act on the SCOTUS ruling and the DOJ to not prosecute any federal cases regarding "illegal" abortions.

Granted that doesn't really do much to stop red states from prosecuting people on their own and using state/local law enforcement to shutter clinics and harass providers. If you're talking extreme measures Biden could federalize the national guards of any red states attempting to exercise laws that run afoul of Roe and use them to guard abortion providers and escort people in/out of clinics Little Rock Nine style. I fully admit though that I do not think the political will exists for that at all.

Even sending in the NG to protect clinics wouldn't matter since the locals would just arrest/murder the doctors and patients at their homes instead.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Pretty sure the only real effective action would be biden saying "i will pardon anyone who murders the justices who voted for this" but that wont happen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even sending in the NG to protect clinics wouldn't matter since the locals would just arrest/murder the doctors and patients at their homes instead.

That just means the national guard starts arresting detaining cops.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

tagesschau posted:

There is very much sense in which the abstract liberal notion of a Rule of Law and independent judiciary is about ensuring that the interests of capital are insulated from political considerations. If you don’t like capitalism, you might see that as a bad thing.

Sometimes individuals get extra civil rights out of this deal, as a treat, but sometimes they don’t. qv this, right now, lol

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Koos Group posted:

In addition to some of the things the other posters in this thread have said: refusal to honor arrest warrants for things that remain legal per Roe, investigations into any non-Roe-compliant actions by states (or subdivisions thereof) that may conflict with federal civil rights legislation (or Title IX, depending on what sort of poo poo some states try to pull), [edit:] refusal to enforce any civil judgments that are an attempt to end-around Roe, terrorism charges for anyone who tries this:

Evil Fluffy posted:

the locals would just arrest/murder the doctors and patients at their homes instead.

eSports Chaebol posted:

There is very much sense in which the abstract liberal notion of a Rule of Law and independent judiciary is about ensuring that the interests of capital are insulated from political considerations.

That's an obviously better system than "whichever strongman happens to have the most guns right now gets to make the rules." That should go without saying, but alas...

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 7, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

tagesschau posted:

i don't think i am. laws are a structure of such decisions. being in a position to decide what the laws are is an aspect of power.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

tagesschau posted:

That's an obviously better system than "whichever strongman happens to have the most guns right now gets to make the rules." That should go without saying, but alas...

I mean I’m not even necessarily disagreeing that an unrestricted parliamentary democracy can be authoritarian but considering it to be strongman rule is unusual and probably needs to be clarified if you want people to understand you, yes.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Exploitive prison labor didn't end around WW2. Slavery is still alive and well in that industry today.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

eSports Chaebol posted:

I mean I’m not even necessarily disagreeing that an unrestricted parliamentary democracy can be authoritarian but considering it to be strongman rule is unusual and probably needs to be clarified if you want people to understand you, yes.

I don't consider parliamentary democracy to be strongman rule. You weren't talking about parliamentary democracy, though—you were just talking about ignoring laws you find inconvenient. That's why I mentioned strongman rule, because ignoring the law if it's inconvenient for you and you have the force to back it up is the essence thereof.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 8, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Exploitive prison labor didn't end around WW2. Slavery is still alive and well in that industry today.

Sure but I’m referring to actual your average person could purchase a human being and do whatever they want with them slavery.

I’m not trying to diminish the evils of the prison industry but more point out how easy to would be to go back to where you, personally, could purchase a slave.

And pointing out how the US courts are ultimately illegitimate as they would interpret laws however they see fit and therefor the American public should remove its head from its rear end in believing the courts are some sacred institution worth upholding.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Sure but I’m referring to actual your average person could purchase a human being and do whatever they want with them slavery.

I’m not trying to diminish the evils of the prison industry but more point out how easy to would be to go back to where you, personally, could purchase a slave.

And pointing out how the US courts are ultimately illegitimate as they would interpret laws however they see fit and therefor the American public should remove its head from its rear end in believing the courts are some sacred institution worth upholding.

Now instead of purchasing a human and doing what you want with them, you can only purchase their severely underpaid forced labour while they're deprived of their freedom.

I mean, to be fair, it's a very slight improvement, but not quite as much an improvement as I'm sure we'd like to see.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

Now instead of purchasing a human and doing what you want with them, you can only purchase their severely underpaid forced labour while they're deprived of their freedom.

I mean, to be fair, it's a very slight improvement, but not quite as much an improvement as I'm sure we'd like to see.

AND you get to continue to exploit them or others like them with depressed wages as well as unreportable harassment after they are released from your service.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PT6A posted:

It's really just the outsourcing of external costs you didn't need to carry, to the slave themselves. You no longer need to concern yourself with the long-term health of a prisoner, in any circumstance. There's less incentive to preserve their human rights than those of a salt miner in the Roman Empire.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

PT6A posted:

Oh I’m not doing the lib thing of “progress!!!” or some stupid poo poo like that.

Again, prior to WW2, you personally could have purchased a slave, brought them to your home, and tortured them to your hearts content. That ended in WW2 but not via and amendment or anything. It required a president to exercise their power.

What I’m getting at is we could immediately go back to that. Nothing is stoping us and certainly not the worthless piece of paper known as the constitution.

Let me phrase it like this: what’s stops us from going back to the actual human owning slavery prior to WW2?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 8, 2022

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Literally the profit motive. Paying prisoners and detainees $1/day and having no economic incentive to preserve their health or welfare is vastly superior to chattel slavery.

e: read this thread, I can't tell if it's parody or not but it's an accurate description of just how fast profits can accelerate in the private prison business

https://twitter.com/prisoninvestor1/status/1514598428080173064

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Prison slavery is restricted to corporations and possibly the extremely wealthy.

Prior to WWII half of the January 6th rioters could have had a black man cleaning their houses for no pay.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Quote is not edit

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 8, 2022

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that capitalists who wish to just detain and torture their employees/slaves with no repercussions whatsoever largely stick to the tomato farming business.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Really funny seeing Clarence Thomas whining about the reaction saying the Court can't just give you the outcome you want. That's right buddy only the outcome you want.

And christ calling upholding the 15 week ban the "moderate" position.

https://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/1523302067183390721?s=20&t=YKgHx2Kcr3vhr-dwVVDNQA

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 8, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the white hand posted:

Literally the profit motive. Paying prisoners and detainees $1/day and having no economic incentive to preserve their health or welfare is vastly superior to chattel slavery.

e: read this thread, I can't tell if it's parody or not but it's an accurate description of just how fast profits can accelerate in the private prison business

https://twitter.com/prisoninvestor1/status/1514598428080173064

That is probably a satirical account, but doesn't mean that it's wrong.

https://twitter.com/prisoninvestor1/status/1522594433279090688?cxt=HHwWgICzyb3kq6EqAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tagesschau posted:

I don't consider parliamentary democracy to be strongman rule. You weren't talking about parliamentary democracy, though—you were just talking about ignoring laws you find inconvenient. That's why I mentioned strongman rule, because ignoring the law if it's inconvenient for you and you have the force to back it up is the essence thereof.

I agree the supreme court should be removed from power for ignoring laws they find inconvenient, Shelby County was the essence of strongman rule

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 8, 2022