Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
okay i was able to find sub-1000 for a round trip from a california airport to haneda, albeit it's hawaiian and involves a layover in honolulu

of course it's a massive gamble on when they'll open up for tourists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I just saw an article Friday about some advisory committee (including Keidanren and the government) discussing when tourists can come back. Based on my criteria of “seeing smoke a month before confirming the fire,” we should see things opened up this summer.

Whether that’s a good idea or not I don’t know, I would certainly love to have vaccine mandates for public areas coming through soon, but we’ll see.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bring back 鎖国 imo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mister Chief posted:

Bring back 鎖国 imo.

:same:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mister Chief posted:

Bring back 鎖国 imo.

But make it retroactive

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Nah, it's back to foreigner isolation at Nagasaki.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Bring back 鎖国 imo.

No, I don’t want to have 2020 happen again, thanks.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

We are grandfathered in.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

okay i was able to find sub-1000 for a round trip from a california airport to haneda, albeit it's hawaiian and involves a layover in honolulu

of course it's a massive gamble on when they'll open up for tourists

Hawaii has special covid testing requirements, so be sure to clarify and plan for those before you travel. This includes return from Japan.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Business of Ferrets posted:

Hawaii has special covid testing requirements, so be sure to clarify and plan for those before you travel. This includes return from Japan.

To my knowledge Hawaii did away all quarantine for inbound domestic travelers as of a few weeks ago. No need to show negative test or vax status any longer.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Bring back 鎖国 imo.

Isolate foreign visitors in a island-sized Famimart

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Fami socks and fami chicken is all we need.

Noitaroballoc
Apr 16, 2005

680 in 40

Archer666 posted:

Isolate foreign visitors in a island-sized Famimart
Especially now that they've got the Black Thunder frappes

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

To my knowledge Hawaii did away all quarantine for inbound domestic travelers as of a few weeks ago. No need to show negative test or vax status any longer.

would still have to worry about that on a return trip though, and i'd still need a negative PCR result within X hours of landing in japan anyway, or so i'd assume

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/nyukoku_news/status/1522155738407129088?s=21&t=ZltN4pC0DGIsKzRHYZx68w

PM is hinting at :airquote:relaxing:airquote: the border in June. What that means is anyone’s guess, but it’s opening up in some fashion. 鎖国 is probably not happening.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They'll still toss you back on your plane, but they'll be way more relaxed when they do.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Wear masks please.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Opening the country up for the tourists in the summertime is some monkey paw poo poo lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Wear masks please.

95% of adults I see out are. Granted I haven’t ventured beyond the neighborhood too often, but it’s been good still. Most places are signed requiring masks too.

Archer666 posted:

Opening the country up for the tourists in the summertime is some monkey paw poo poo lol

I swear somebody called that earlier in the thread lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mister Chief posted:

Wear masks please.

There’s a lot of deep moron Americans out there but none of them want to go to Japan.

Edit: okay, this one wants to go to Japan. But I’m a moron who drat well wears a mask!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 5, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

I swear somebody called that earlier in the thread lol

That was me. I specifically called August but I'll take summer in general as a win.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

if i were visiting it would be in the fall or winter and i'm a paranoid gently caress who doesn't take off the mask ever outside the house

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Looks like they're going to do small trial runs with package tours then slowly open it up if successful.
https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/356580

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So, the new Super Dry. Yay or nay? I can't quite put my finger on it but it's missing something. Dry, sure, but the finish seems to drop off a bit too quickly.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Just bought return tickets for October for under 500au, price was good plus seems like there's a good chance it'll be ok by then. Worst case we get credit for the flights and go another time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That was me. I specifically called August but I'll take summer in general as a win.

And now I remember. Yep. Good shout.

Looks like they want to see the impact of Golden Week (where domestic tourism is going boom, and for the first time since 2019 there are droves of Japanese tourists going to Hawaii) and to see what happens with the tour groups before throwing the door open more fully.

Also of course entry requires three shots and probably testing. So that would also eliminate the absolute idiots from coming over.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just realized I was supposed to be on a plane to Japan tomorrow, boo.

But I guess short of a disastrous new wave I'll almost certainly be going next May so I'm very hype to start planning.

I typically pre-book my flight a year out just because I'm paying with points, but this time I'm wondering how to strategize ticket buying. Airfare is crazy right now, but I'm honestly not sure if it's going to get better or worse. Since it's all points and pretend money I guess I literally have nothing to lose by just booking now and if it turns out that it's way way cheaper come November or December I just cancel and re-book for less points.

Anyway, as always, it's super far out but I am one of those people who loves having something to look forward to -- even if it's a year out. Gives me something to obsess over and research, and I'm really happy that travel to my favourite place might be on the menu again soon :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just realized this is the longest I've not been to Japan in my adult life. My weeb level is under... 9000...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just want a 7/11 egg samich. Is that too much to ask?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I've been watching a lot of japanese TV lately and it really makes me want to go so bad. There is this show that just goes to random parts of Japan and shows you a remotely interesting thing or person or random object in that city or town. I do wonder if it's even worth it to go if they open up ths year because I imagine everyone else will be there touristing right away

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It'll either be a complete shitshow or nowhere near as crowded as usual since China's borders aren't opening anytime soon, so that's 40% of the tourist volume missing right off the bat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It'll either be a complete shitshow or nowhere near as crowded as usual since China's borders aren't opening anytime soon, so that's 40% of the tourist volume missing right off the bat.

It’ll be the latter IMO, it doesn’t look like China’s opening up anytime soon.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Is aomori cool?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I only have 100000 JPY on hand so dunno about getting a shinkansen ticket to Aomori or Kanazawa or even Nagoya where my JR Central friends are

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

gay for gacha posted:

I've been watching a lot of japanese TV lately and it really makes me want to go so bad. There is this show that just goes to random parts of Japan and shows you a remotely interesting thing or person or random object in that city or town. I do wonder if it's even worth it to go if they open up ths year because I imagine everyone else will be there touristing right away

What's the name of the show, out of interest?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

zmcnulty posted:

So, the new Super Dry. Yay or nay? I can't quite put my finger on it but it's missing something. Dry, sure, but the finish seems to drop off a bit too quickly.

It tastes like poo poo. Then again, so did the old one, and so probably will all future versions, so carry on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

field balm posted:

Dunno which specific show they're watching but NHK World has several like that. Cycle Around Japan, Train Cruise, Journeys in Japan, and Seasoning the Seasons are all travel to random parts of the country stuff. There are a bunch available on their VOD thing.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

field balm posted:

Nani kore chinhyakei
ナニコレ珍百景
It's the show that made me fall in love with japanese TV.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It was amazing how short the lines were everywhere in early February 2020 with the complete lack of tourism from China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I only have 100000 JPY on hand so dunno about getting a shinkansen ticket to Aomori or Kanazawa or even Nagoya where my JR Central friends are

Kanazawa. I lived there for 3 years so can tell you what to do if you need.

Nagoya is the dullest major city in Japan.

Aomori has apples I guess but I liked other parts of Tohoku more.

It all depends on how you have your trip planned out.