Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Its not even like Burnley have been overspending in the league, and theyve been up for years. Where is it going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

To the previous owners of the club, as leveraged buyouts mean the club has basically bought itself

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Imagine being so poo poo at managing your finances that you can be in the premier league, the league with unlimited, endless money, and still run out of money

Yeah imagine

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Imagine no Uniteds
It's easy if you tryyyy
No Forest or Portsmouth
Or even Venkys toooo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hey now Leeds went bust because they were spending money they assumed they were going to get and then didn't, completely different

If leeds stay up because another team does a Leeds I will lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

brocked posted:

Or even Venkys toooo

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where this never happened

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

the sex ghost posted:

Me dividends!

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Hey now Leeds went bust because they were spending money they assumed they were going to get and then didn't, completely different

If leeds stay up because another team does a Leeds I will lol

But are you willing to let Burnley save Everton's season? We need to start a GoFundMe

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

TheRat posted:

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where this never happened

Robinson :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
leveraged buyouts are such a bizarre concept

like theoretically I could buy manchester united, using the value of manchester united as the collateral for the massive loan I took out to buy manchester united

point being we could all be owners of big time sports teams if we wanted

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

bewbies posted:

like theoretically I could buy manchester united, using the value of manchester united as the collateral for the massive loan I took out to buy manchester united

That’s what a leveraged buyout is. You also get to charge Manchester United for the pleasure of being bought by you with none of your money. Basically there’s a point where money just stops becoming a real thing and you can just do whatever you want.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bewbies posted:

point being we could all be owners of big time sports teams if we wanted

yeah it rules

You tell a bank "I want you to buy Manchester United for me, and in return I will pay you back the entire value of Manchester United plus interest. As collateral, I offer to sell Manchester United if necessary to pay you back." Then they give you the money, the current owner gets paid the actual value of the club so they don't care whether it's cash you had lying around or a loan you secured through this byzantine system, and then you suck out all the profits from Manchester United to pay off the loan you took to buy the club in the first place

The trick is not knowing how the system works, the trick is already being rich and connected enough that the bank is willing to give you the money

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/06/manchester-city-consider-signing-paul-pogba-on-free-from-manchester-united

quote:

Manchester City consider signing Paul Pogba on free from Manchester United

Manchester City are considering signing Paul Pogba on a free transfer when the Frenchman’s deal expires at rivals Manchester United in the summer. The Guardian understands Pogba is open to crossing the city.

Pogba is interested in working with the Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola, who believes the World Cup-winner could operate in a deeper role in midfield. It would be a controversial move, following in the footsteps of Carlos Tevez, by leaving United for City and would see Pogba accept lower wages than he is currently on.

City cannot make an official approach to Pogba until the end of the season, but the Guardian understands they are willing to offer the Frenchman a four-year contract, with the option of a further year.

Academy graduate Pogba, 29, will not extend his contract at Old Trafford with the club following his £89m return from Juventus in 2016. The midfielder has struggled to make the desired impact at Manchester United, scoring 29 times in 154 league appearances across six seasons where he has won one League Cup and Europa League. The club offered him a new deal last summer, which was rejected, and they have not been back with another.

Pogba shared an agent, prior to Mino Raiola’s death, with Erling Haaland who, the Guardian understands, will join City from Borussia Dortmund in the summer. City will pay the striker’s release clause and terms have been agreed with the Norwegian, whose father Alfe had a spell with City at the start of the century.

City are set to lose one central midfielder this summer with veteran Brazilian Fernandinho announcing he will leave to return to Brazil to carry on his playing career, leaving the squad light in that position.

It is rare a player of Pogba’s pedigree and commercial value comes on the market for nothing. Few would be able to afford Pogba’s wages – he is currently earning a reported £290,000 a week at Old Trafford – so he could be left with few options in the summer. Paris Saint-Germain are thought to be interested in acquiring his services, while Real Madrid have tried to sign him in the past.

Pogba is likely to have played his last game for United after limping off during their defeat against Liverpool earlier this month with a calf injury.

lol

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I hope he fucks off to Paris

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
i hope pogba rots man city from within

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

WSJ says Chelsea sale has closed. Weird that it broke through them, must have come from the US PE side of the deal.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Burnley's mistake was they had cash reserves, which the buyout people could pay straight to the bank towards the loan. Run your companies in the red if you don't want to get eaten alive, idiots.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Unfortunately Pogba is ideal for a team like City. I've always said he's a flourish you add to a complete team and not a player you build a team around.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/1522737382365270016

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
In case you don't feel like clicking through on an ambiguous "Club Statement," tweet

quote:

Chelsea Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed for a new ownership group, led by Todd Boehly, Clearlake Capital, Mark Walter and Hansjoerg Wyss, to acquire the Club.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Do Venkeys still own Blackburn?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dudley posted:

Do Venkeys still own Blackburn?

Yes they do

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wow. At this point they're actually long term owners.

They've lasted longer than actual chickens do.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

strong suspicion that this is Pogba's people trying to bait for a new contract because nobody else is biting at £300k/week + signing fee

but the trick to making that work is to be the ronald

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Unfortunately Pogba is ideal for a team like City. I've always said he's a flourish you add to a complete team and not a player you build a team around.

yeah he'll do great there with less pressure and a giant chip on his shoulder and I really don't wanna see it

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

greazeball posted:

yeah he'll do great there with less pressure and a giant chip on his shoulder and I really don't wanna see it

He's still be injured for 75% of the season and pep will yell at him and not give him cake

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its a shame Woodward isn't in charge anymore because he'd panic at that story and immediately offer Pogba a massive payrise and a long term contract.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He has to be the most overrated player in the last decade.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

TheRat posted:

He's still be injured for 75% of the season and pep will yell at him and not give him cake

Peps doping programme doesnt allow for long term injuries

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/RyanThruss/status/1522970494026371077

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Wouldn't expect any more from that oval office.

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I just saw that MAN United have a goal difference of exactly 1.
So if they lose against Crystal Palace it will be lower perhaps even negative after a full season.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jexner posted:

I just saw that MAN United have a goal difference of exactly 1.
So when they lose against Crystal Palace it will be lower perhaps even negative after a full season.

ftfy

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Wait how are United already on 37 games

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Presumably they loaded up early in the season in anticipation of all the European football they figured they'd be playing around now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

pik_d posted:

That's odd. Do they have 3 weeks off or something until the final day

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

pik_d posted:

Sounds like a case for Germany's top investigative media outlet

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

the sex ghost posted:

Sounds like a case for Germany's top investigative media outlet

lol if you don't think they're in Fergie's pocket

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Fergie was known to be a big fan of Germans. That's why he signed all of those germans during his 26 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

pik_d posted:

Their second to last game was supposed to be Chelsea iirc, and was moved forward from this weekend due to the FA cup final. They had a whinge about it a few weeks back.