Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sagebrush posted:

He makes more than that but not much more. We see his pay stub in the bear patrol episode:

If that's his weekly pay (40 hours is noted at the top), he makes 18,109.50 per year in 1996 dollars, or about 33,140 today (after tax).

That's pretty low, but he does have a union, so he gets some benefits. And while it doesn't seem like a Burns kind of thing to do, it's possible that his job, having started in the mid 80s, still has one of those incredible bonus policies where he gets nearly 100% of his salary on top at Christmas. If we go with that assumption, he's making $66,000-ish net, which is a good amount for a family to live on in small town America.

That's a good point, but when do they reference Homer getting another year's pay as a regular Christmas bonus? I know in the first episode the bonus is cancelled but I thought it would be a few hundred. If the family's income were unexpectedly halved at Burns' whim they'd have far bigger problems than no gifts.

Eh anyway here's some new stuff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Homer works for Mr. Burns! That's probably all he gets paid.

However the numbers on his paycheck are more likely to be reference to the animators's kid's birthdays than actual payroll amounts for nerds to examine in detail.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Samovar posted:

Probably upset at all those people saying that it was Elhanan who killed Goliath, not him.

Number 69: Oh Lord, I pray thee smite with great anger and malice all the sinners of the world that call me really short.

For I am not overly short O Savior, and am merely as thou hast made me.

May thy send a pox upon the first born of they who dare laugh when I need a lil step stool to ascend the dias of mine chambers.

For in your wisdom infinite thy molded me of completely average height, for which I give eternal thanks, though the wicked of the world refuse to acknowledge this truth.

Selah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's a good point, but when do they reference Homer getting another year's pay as a regular Christmas bonus? I know in the first episode the bonus is cancelled but I thought it would be a few hundred.

This is just one of those cultural mindfucks that we don't understand anymore. In the 80s it was common for corporate employees, both blue and white collar, to receive a significant fraction of their annual salary as an extra bonus every year. That was how extra corporate profits were distributed, instead of going towards boosting the stock (there were a lot more private companies back then too) or straight into the executives' accounts.

For the longest time I never understood that part of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Clark Griswold was counting on his holiday bonus to install a swimming pool?? Even at places where I got a bonus, it was like a couple hundred bucks or a nice bottle of wine or something. I didn't get why everyone was so eager to find out how much the bonus was or how it could have a significant effect on a major home renovation. But at the time the movie was made, yeah, he might have doubled his salary with that single check. That's why giving him the jelly of the month club instead was not only insulting, but outright cruel. People would rely on getting that extra money to make ends meet.

So no, there's nothing that says that Homer necessarily makes that much in a bonus every year, but it was part of the cultural expectation at the time the show was made.

And honestly even if he's only netting 33,000 a year in 2022, that puts him right about at the national average for a single earner.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For what it's worth there's a joke from the 21st season that fairly clearly says Homer makes $60,000 a year. Carl tells Homer that he's drinking a $60,000 bottle of wine and Homer goes "Woohoo! I'm drinking my salary!"

But it's the 21st season, so whatever.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lobok posted:

For what it's worth there's a joke from the 21st season that fairly clearly says Homer makes $60,000 a year. Carl tells Homer that he's drinking a $60,000 bottle of wine and Homer goes "Woohoo! I'm drinking my salary!"

But it's the 21st season, so whatever.

mods?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who will bring me to the fortified city?
Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

quote:

soulsposting is IN

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

trambampoline?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I can't wait until super sweet best pal gets to psalm 69 and just posts this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9eNs_z_Ijg

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Analytic Engine posted:

soulsposting is IN

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Searched for this to reply to someone on twitter and obviously have to post it here again. Arguably the greatest Simpsons poo poo post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gB-Vcyrk8s

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

There are no words. Truly the peak of human achievement. Time to pack it in and let the dolphins/raccoons have a go at civilization.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
The wax drop dud and crime wave map dud are incredible lol

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Lobok posted:

Who will bring me to the fortified city?
Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Analytic Engine posted:

soulsposting is IN

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
There was a Simpsons Shitposting compilation that included Homer opening up the paint-shaker beer to the opening notes of "All Star" and the URL was in the history on my work computer, so I haven't been able to find it since lockdown sent us all home :cry:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

lmao

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

that's the stuff

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

And of course, morivisti: YOU DIED

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

now we have our Angry Melviiin

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 7, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a Ross Bagdasarian joke in there somewhere.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
2 for 1

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Holy poo poo this brought back some memories

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

:eyepop:
:dudsmile:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Poor predictable Dave, always uses rock as a simile.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

fartknocker posted:

Holy poo poo this brought back some memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012