Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Lockback posted:

"I didn't realize there were games available on Steam that weren't available on the Switch" is also a wild thing to come from a reviewer..
Eh he's a dude on YouTube that kinda fell into being switch focused.

I kinda have the same issue where I'll want to wait until it's portable even though the switch is having more and more issues running games and also has Nintendo tax going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

"I didn't realize there were games available on Steam that weren't available on the Switch" is also a wild thing to come from a reviewer.

Also playing 30xx on a keyboard is equally crazy.

Being knowledgeable about things or acting like a normal human being isn't a prerequisite for doing reviews.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone try out PoE and let us know how it is.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Has anyone made a carrying case that supports charging the deck inside the case? I really hate the provided valve carrying case because there is no way to charge it while inside hte case. Often times they will make a gasket port or something similar to allow a charging cable into the case. I don't like leaving my deck out when charging.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Has anyone made a carrying case that supports charging the deck inside the case? I really hate the provided valve carrying case because there is no way to charge it while inside hte case. Often times they will make a gasket port or something similar to allow a charging cable into the case. I don't like leaving my deck out when charging.

I've noticed that the deck heats up while charging so that may not be the best idea?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The case has two zippers? just plug in the cable and close it to either side of the cable (as long as it doesn't overheat, but I've done that and it wasn't hot).

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Lockback posted:

The case has two zippers? just plug in the cable and close it to either side of the cable (as long as it doesn't overheat, but I've done that and it wasn't hot).

The case folds right next to where the USB cable is, and is molded enough that you really don't want to put the device in upside down.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

MarcusSA posted:

Someone try out PoE and let us know how it is.

I tried the beta PoE controller support on a Deck last week or so. Things ran surprisingly well under normal conditions, though it did go into single digit FPS on a fully juiced T16 map (the endest of endgame for anyone who is unfamiliar). To be fair, I completely expected this as the same conditions will choke even a beefy desktop.

I'll probably play through the campaign on my deck for this coming league and then transition back to desktop for maps because it's just more efficient.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I've noticed that the deck heats up while charging so that may not be the best idea?

+1. personally, i wouldn't risk it. might just be paranoia, though.

I'm loving my Deck so far. Really great "what the Switch should've been," at least for third-party titles. I bought a ridiculous number of ARPG indies over the past week, and rather than running choppily and costing me $200, they run well and cost me $35 all together. :hai:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I wanted to emulate two games, Skies of Arcadia Legends and God Hand. I downloaded emudeck and Skies worked fine, but God Hand wouldn’t load even though I had bios in the right spot. The only way I can get it to load is to add the actual emulator pcsx2 as a non steam game and run it from that but it is widescreen and unchecking the widescreen hack doesn’t do anything. Is there a better way to play ps2 games?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Insanite posted:

+1. personally, i wouldn't risk it. might just be paranoia, though.

I'm loving my Deck so far. Really great "what the Switch should've been," at least for third-party titles. I bought a ridiculous number of ARPG indies over the past week, and rather than running choppily and costing me $200, they run well and cost me $35 all together. :hai:

I love arpgs, please share what you got and how they run!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

parasyte posted:

I'm assuming it comes from the adage not to preorder games, which is reasonable advice for games. Hardware's different since there's physical scarcity and everything. Valve is also doing it in a pretty friendly way, since it's just $5 that's automatically refunded to the Steam wallet if you don't go through with the purchase, without action needed on your part.

This. I get why other companies haven't done it yet because living in a world where new hardware is rare and valuable is a very new and lovely thing, but it is what it is and I'd rather see a company make everyone wait in line and limit it to one unit than the PS5/30 series poo poo show thats been ongoing for...a year and a loving half now.

Also, as far as scalping is concerned it's much more consumer friendly. yeah it exists, but if someone scalps a steam deck that's it. That's your steam deck and now it's gone. Get back in line. There's probably very few people just sitting on a pile of 50 of them like people were doing with PS5s.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
And it's only a refundable $5 deposit to get a spot in line. If your turn comes up and you decide it's an early adopter beta test piece of poo poo, you're not out any money (even putting aside the fact that you'd definitely turn a profit reselling it).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Show yourself YouTube review person.

https://youtu.be/aLT1ZxaPYrY

(Hopefully that works right because lol)

I didn’t watch the video but the thumbnail got me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gotta paste in the full, unshortened link to embed a video (or type out the bbcode manually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLT1ZxaPYrY

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Gotta paste in the full, unshortened link to embed a video (or type out the bbcode manually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLT1ZxaPYrY

Ah ok. I’m on the app and it parses it so we see it.

Thank you for your service.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm fascinated by that mans giant baby hands (the actual Youtuber not Kirk). They don't look like they have ever been used.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Decided to play Prodeus on the Steam Deck, dear God it looks and runs so well on it. Even the little vibrations from punching stuff or using the charged shotgun adds to the experience.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I love arpgs, please share what you got and how they run!

Nothing particularly niche. I'm enjoying many of the ARPG and roguelike greatest hits of 2015-2022 on the Deck that didn't click with me on a desktop for whatever reason. Lots of back catalog stuff.

- Risk of Rain 2
- Dead Cells
- Vampire Survivors
- Moonlighter
- Noita
- Children of Morta
- Hollow Knight
- Blasphemous
- Carrion
- Death's Door

Etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t seem to get PoE to work right. It’s not recognizing the controller.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I don't know if this is the same issue, but there are a few games that include their controller settings in their cloud saves which results in the game not recognizing the controller. But if you do a "clean" boot with no save info at all, the game will properly recognize it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I don't know if this is the same issue, but there are a few games that include their controller settings in their cloud saves which results in the game not recognizing the controller. But if you do a "clean" boot with no save info at all, the game will properly recognize it.

Hmm I’ll have to check that. I think it might be loading the community control profile too.

It was weird because the first boot of PoE it disabled the controller in other games too. I had to do a reboot.

Second time wasn’t an issue but it still didn’t work.

I am gonna play with it later today and see.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Has anyone tried Citizen Sleeper on Deck?

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Anyone know how to close gamescope stats in the upper left? It just decided to appear and no matter what settings I adjust in performance it won't go away.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Syves posted:

Anyone know how to close gamescope stats in the upper left? It just decided to appear and no matter what settings I adjust in performance it won't go away.

I'd try just rebooting. That will usually solve any issues like that.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I'm a stupid idiot. Thought a reboot from an update would have counted as a reboot. Of course not. Normal regular reboot did the trick. Appreciated!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

For some reason today my Deck keeps logging me out on my main Pc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It sucks that ravpower has been kicked off Amazon because this battery pack works great

Fwiw it did not work with my aya neo or my GPD win max but it totally works with the deck and ipad.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t full controller support not being patched in for another week?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Insanite posted:

Maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t full controller support not being patched in for another week?

It’s there in a beta state on the live client.

All the UI changes correctly when you select it as well. I haven’t had a chance to try it again because I’m playing shadow of Mordor.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

It’s there in a beta state on the live client.

All the UI changes correctly when you select it as well. I haven’t had a chance to try it again because I’m playing shadow of Mordor.

Just queued it up for an install, in that case. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What game is PoE?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I got my deck yesterday, played with it a bunch, and the battery sucks today. I went into desktop mode and it says the battery health is like 50%. Is there any chance this is a software problem or am I RMAing this bad boy already?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Goodpancakes posted:

What game is PoE?

guessing it's Pillars of Eternity in this case.

Edit: VVV I guess OP's question is valid then. Two games with PoE as the shortened form, and I guessed the wrong one. Thanks for the correction. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 8, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's Path of Exile.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MarcusSA posted:

It sucks that ravpower has been kicked off Amazon because this battery pack works great

Fwiw it did not work with my aya neo or my GPD win max but it totally works with the deck and ipad.

Did this charge it while playing a game?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2BO4IPqro

This looks really cool. If there's anyone waiting for a deck who already has a similar-class device, you can install SteamOS 3.0 on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

Did this charge it while playing a game?

Yup I used it last night and it charged just fine.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is the new update that allows for 40fps/40refresh rate only a beta update? I don't seem to have it and my system says its up to date on stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Is the new update that allows for 40fps/40refresh rate only a beta update? I don't seem to have it and my system says its up to date on stable.

It’s only beta for now.

I’m not really sure how long it takes them to push them to live but I can’t imagine it’s going to be that long.

https://youtu.be/GF8NzlBiaOM

I’m really excited for the 40hz mode.