Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Pixel 3xl

Android 11

I'm not sure how I would highlight text and then push the three dot menu.

I have the same phone, my web search just disappeared too. I have the three dots but right now it's just for interacting with other apps, like searching Wikipedia, though web search does sometimes get folded into the submenu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Is this a thing where the Android System Webview gets updated and does something dumb like removing dots?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Probably. I think that's what it was last time.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My app changed to this weird split view for forum browsing like this:

I didn't see anything about this in the change log, so I must have somehow accidentally turned this on? I don't like it, and I've been searching for settings to change it back to normal but can't find anything. Anybody know what I've done here and how to undo it?

Thankfully I can still get a full view of a thread itself but I can't get a full view of the forums.

Same thing happened to me on my OnePlus 8 Pro.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I think that's tablet mode

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

nashona posted:

I think that's tablet mode

Yup. One of the dumbest design decisions ever created. (Not by the app devs, but by whoever came up with it in the first place)

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Search from highlight is gone again. Will it be coming back?

Beachcomber posted:

Pixel 3xl

Android 11
I've submitted a pull request that I think solves this problem, at least it did in the emulator. Hopefully the devs can merge that and push it out soon if it looks good!

cruft posted:

Pixel 6, Android 12
[...]
E: just realized that while I do have dots, I don't have bbcode options, just the standard OS ones.
Unfortunately I can't emulate a Pixel 6 to investigate this yet. Can you post a screenshot of the options you have when you're writing/editing a post?

Edit: also, are there any Awful.apk users on Android 5? It's breaking in the emulator for me and I'm worried it may be broken for all y'all :ohdear:

handle fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 8, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

handle posted:

I've submitted a pull request that I think solves this problem, at least it did in the emulator. Hopefully the devs can merge that and push it out soon if it looks good!

Unfortunately I can't emulate a Pixel 6 to investigate this yet. Can you post a screenshot of the options you have when you're writing/editing a post?

Sorry about that, I was confused. I do have the bbcode options, I just have to be editing a post to see them. :cripes:

When highlighting text from a thread, I do not get the Search option, which it sounds like you already found a reason for and fixed.

I'll still post a screenshot though if you still want one.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

That's OK, if you're having the same issue the other folks were having then hopefully the same fix will apply. Thanks for offering :)

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Pixel 5 running Android 12 and overnight the highlight to search turned into a Bing search. It was working fine last night.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Do you has have Outlook installed? It likes to do that.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Do you has have Outlook installed? It likes to do that.

I do but I rarely use it anymore, I could delete it, it was for school but I graduated.

However, I've had it installed since 2017 and this is the first time I've had this happen with the Awful app, I use highlight to search dozens of times a day.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I do but I rarely use it anymore, I could delete it, it was for school but I graduated.

However, I've had it installed since 2017 and this is the first time I've had this happen with the Awful app, I use highlight to search dozens of times a day.

I know the Awful app developers just loooove Bing (it's kinda weird) but changing your search engine is a shade too far for even them.

I suggest you try deleting the Outlook app you no longer use and see if you can go another 5 years before the Awful app developers sneakily change your phone operating system's default search engine again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Outlook is kinda random on when it tries to assert Bing dominance. It'll be there, then not, then in a different place on the list.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Deleted Outlook, now there's no highlight to search option at all!

handle
Jan 20, 2011

I think my pull request should solve that issue once it's pushed out, but I'm not sure when that'll be exactly because of the devs' availability.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can highlight and share to Firefox to search if you have one of their flavors installed. Why that isn't an option for chrome idk.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
that's a feature because putting phrases you find on these forums into a search engine is likely to get you in trouble

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Umm.. just an FYI

I have had my phone crash 2 times today, while on the app.

Anyone else?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It wants you to stop posting

(Mines fine)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Bananana posted:

Umm.. just an FYI

I have had my phone crash 2 times today, while on the app.

Anyone else?

I've had some weird hangups and crashes with the app recently, but I suspect it's more a matter of my phone staying to show its age + the awful app just being one I regularly have open.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Killingyouguy! posted:

It wants you to stop posting

(Mines fine)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Deleted Outlook, now there's no highlight to search option at all!

This!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Galaxy s21+
Android 12

I also get the bing search as the only option for highlight search, noticed it yesterday. Can't remove outlook as I use it for work.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Wouldn't Android have a "default search engine" setting somewhere globally that can be reset back?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I never had Bing search, don't have any search at all. I don't think this is a case of overriding a default, I think it's a case of outlook jamming Bing into the global copy/paste mechanism.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's not one menu item transforming into another. It's one disappearing and an entirely different one appearing for completely unrelated reasons. Having outlook installed will add bing search to the menu and leave the web search item intact if you've still got it (like I currently do).

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Actually the issue isn'tthat there is a bing search, but that the normal "web search" option is gone. Outlook adds but doesn't replace the default search.

Edit the web search is present in other apps but suddenly not on the awful app.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mines fine I think it just doesn't trust you guys with knowledge

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bing up your rear end!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

This same issue happened a few months back, too, though without starting with a Bing search being wedged in. I can't remember what the resolution was though.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Version 3.8.14 made it out to my device and should include the fix for web search, let me know if you still don't see it! :)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I do see it, thank you for fixing it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
has the video tag always stripped out timestamps or is that new?

I'm trying to post a youtube link at 4 seconds

https://youtu.be/UuDjN6KsLdo?t=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuDjN6KsLdo

I posted this over in the forums tech thread and they said the forums yt timestamps work fine, so I thought it might be the app stripping out the ?t=4

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Vim Fuego posted:

has the video tag always stripped out timestamps or is that new?

I'm trying to post a youtube link at 4 seconds

https://youtu.be/UuDjN6KsLdo?t=4

I posted this over in the forums tech thread and they said the forums yt timestamps work fine, so I thought it might be the app stripping out the ?t=4

The video tag you've posted doesn't have any timestamp on it at all.

Here's what I get pressing CTRL+V on a desktop with the video URL in the clipboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuDjN6KsLdo&t=4s

And here's what I get by manually wrapping the URL in video tags:

It looks like the client-side stuff that converts pasted URLs correctly handles the start time, but the server-side handling just silently drops it. So yes the forums backend is broken, but the client-side is patching over that for most non-app users.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
The tagged video is what the url turns into when it's wrapped in the video tag and posted through the android app. I may not have understood the rest of your reply, I'll re-read it tomorrow.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
If you asked me before I would have told you I was positive the insert video button on the app added the necessary time start to the video tag if it had one in the URL. Am I losing my mind?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

handle posted:

Version 3.8.14 made it out to my device and should include the fix for web search, let me know if you still don't see it! :)

I'm still on 3.8.13 and can't seem to manually trigger the update :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

ephex posted:

I'm still on 3.8.13 and can't seem to manually trigger the update :(

Same here