Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I don't think it even comes with a fertility malus in this game, it just changes who you can seduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it's honestly a bit weird how completely ignorable sexuality is in the game. On one hand the last thing I want is for this game to get even hornier, but for a character driven game you'd think you'd get nudged with stress events for ignoring your sexuality.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
anyone should be able to seduce anyone tbh you just get a bonus/malus depending on your sexuality. I could see locking it off for top level rulers -> vassals but there’s no way a homo Duke wouldn’t take a run at the queen if the opportunity was there

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

indigi posted:

anyone should be able to seduce anyone tbh you just get a bonus/malus depending on your sexuality. I could see locking it off for top level rulers -> vassals but there’s no way a homo Duke wouldn’t take a run at the queen if the opportunity was there

.... Why would he do that, if he's gay?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I was just worried about not having electors support and losing my empire to a relative is all.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

.... Why would he do that, if he's gay?

why do you seduce anyone in this game? to get something out of it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
personally as a lesbian, when I play as a lesbian and seduce women, what I'm getting out of it is the enjoyment of the power of my #girlboss character.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

indigi posted:

Pretty sure this is the case for players, the AI is just coded to only seduce based on their sexuality. And I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that you can't become lovers with someone if your sexuality doesn't match seducing them, so you just get the one-time tumble.

Edit: I may have misspoke, depending on what you meant. You can seduce against your own sexuality, but you can't seduce against the target's sexuality.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sure, the gay duke might seduce the queen in order to get something out of it. What does the queen get out of it? If she's straight, she might get a satisfying romantic and/or sexual relationship. If she's gay, she gets...yet another dude she's not interested in trying to sleep with her?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My previous emperor was gay and had invited a gay king over for and he went off and seduced my straight son. I passed on the opportunity to make it a three way.

Now I’m that son and I found out he had a secret lover, his older cousin. Well I divorced my wife because she was cheating on me and had the pox to boot. Then I secretly eloped my cousin. Things are getting frisky.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

indigi posted:

I think that's how it works anyways? Seduction is dis/allowed via the targets preferences, not the initiator's The only thing that comes from the initiators preferences is once the seduction is complete, if your character takes them for a permanent lover or if it's a one-night-stand.

edit:damnit, beaten

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there any way to search for artifacts (so that I can go steal them) short of just clicking on random major characters?

Related, I really hate how the AI behaves sometimes. King of East Francia went and converted to Adamitism in a dumb stress event (I feel like the game would be waaaaay better if rulers just stayed stressed rather than constantly grabbing at absurd coping mechanisms) and rather than just replace the guy the whole Kingdom just exploded immediately. Woulda been nice to have an actual threat to my Piasts.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Is there any way to search for artifacts (so that I can go steal them) short of just clicking on random major characters?

Artifact ownership is a parameter in the character finder.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But no way to narrow it past that? Flipping through 500 characters to see if any of them have a blue or purple crown is not an appealing prospect atm...

e: I would go steal the Pope Hat, except that it was already stolen by some random Danish dude, and that apparently blocks me from buying a claim on it. :negative:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 7, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My character was bisexual and I don't remember a seduction event with a mail character happening at all nor there being a man in the lovers relationship right ul until I got blackmailed for the secret

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hellioning posted:

Sure, the gay duke might seduce the queen in order to get something out of it. What does the queen get out of it? If she's straight, she might get a satisfying romantic and/or sexual relationship. If she's gay, she gets...yet another dude she's not interested in trying to sleep with her?

Interpersonal diplomatic ties. These may backfire horribly later.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I want a cynical character to be able to fake romance for the prestige in the cultures that have it. :downs:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

My character was bisexual and I don't remember a seduction event with a mail character happening at all nor there being a man in the lovers relationship right ul until I got blackmailed for the secret

How long had you been playing as that character? Possible they started some sort of affair before you started playing them? The AI is extremely horny (gotta give those intrigue characters something to do I guess)

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Hellioning posted:

She gets to find out what 28 Intrigue looks like under the hood. Alternately, she might hate the king for a variety of reasons, and is doing so out of spite (or to build relationships so you'll join her murder scheme).

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So while playing as Tengri I reformed the Tengri faith, changing none of the doctrines/tenets, and as expected not all of my vassals converted with me. I figure that's fine, they'll only be Astray and both faiths have the Warmonger tenet so they shouldn't be bothered by my extremely expansionist behavior. Then I discover that in spite of both faiths being Warmongers and both being Steppe faiths, my Old Tengri vassals now absolutely loathe me because the Offensive War malus (-125, I've been fighting almost non-stop for a decade) is being applied to them (and also to the population in counties in my domain that still follow Old Tengri.)

This feels like absolute horseshit to me, has made me lose almost all interest in continuing my Greatest of Khans run, and honestly I think this should be fixed. I feel that if two faiths have Warmonger and are part of the same family (i.e. Steppe faiths, Nordic faiths, etc.; not Paganism as a whole) then the Offensive War malus should not apply.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 8, 2022

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I've just restored HRE and have France, Lotharingia, Frisia and Aquitaine for territory. Many of my vassals have garbage contracts (and are garbage people). Accordingly, I've set my Chancellor to Domestic Affairs.

I haven't yet seen any of the Domestic Affairs side effects (like contract improvement), but I used to see a truce ended every couple years when I had him set to Foreign Affairs.

Are those side effects still broken? Are contract improvments just really rare? I saw there were some recent patch notes about councillor tasks being fixed, can anyone else reassure me that Domestic Affairs isn't busted?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dorstein posted:

I've just restored HRE and have France, Lotharingia, Frisia and Aquitaine for territory. Many of my vassals have garbage contracts (and are garbage people). Accordingly, I've set my Chancellor to Domestic Affairs.

Few things are worse than inheriting a title, getting a bunch of new vassals, and finding out half of them have title revocation protection and council rights guaranteed. Makes you want to exterminate the dynasty of their former liege.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dorstein posted:

I haven't yet seen any of the Domestic Affairs side effects (like contract improvement), but I used to see a truce ended every couple years when I had him set to Foreign Affairs.

Are those side effects still broken? Are contract improvments just really rare? I saw there were some recent patch notes about councillor tasks being fixed, can anyone else reassure me that Domestic Affairs isn't busted?

I have definitely seen pop ups to fix contracts and truces ended early in my current game. So seems like that has been fixed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well I've now broken 1000 hours in this game, and have unlocked 85 out of 86 achievements. Three guesses as to which one I'm missing; as a hint, it's rated as Easy!

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Who are the good youtubers for this game? My way to get in to every paradox game has been watching better players explain poo poo to me

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes

CaptCommy posted:

Who are the good youtubers for this game? My way to get in to every paradox game has been watching better players explain poo poo to me

Zieley is pretty good. He has a few explanation videos as well as 'rescue your save game' ones which I tend to learn quite a bit from.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PittTheElder posted:

Well I've now broken 1000 hours in this game, and have unlocked 85 out of 86 achievements. Three guesses as to which one I'm missing; as a hint, it's rated as Easy!

This has happened exactly once to me, my first playthrough, where I forgot to turn on ironman. :cripes:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

PittTheElder posted:

How long had you been playing as that character? Possible they started some sort of affair before you started playing them? The AI is extremely horny (gotta give those intrigue characters something to do I guess)

It was a custom character I started as a baby lol. It's possible that having the game at full speed I hit escape to close a window on something the same time an event popped and it went with the default option without me realising. Has happened a few times when I have windows open for marriage etc

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

PittTheElder posted:

THE BAR posted:

This has happened exactly once to me, my first playthrough, where I forgot to turn on ironman. :cripes:

For anyone trying to get this achievement, the wiki is a bit of a liar. I tried over and over again with Alfonso of León, and I just couldn't get it. He is not the easiest ruler to get this achievement with. The easiest ruler is in the 867 start.

King Lothaire of Lotharingia fulfills all the requirements that Alfonso does - there are a couple of people who want to kill him (his wife and rival, along with his brother who is his primary heir) and he has a lover. He also has an intrigue focused lifestyle. He is also older than Alfonso, so it's possible that he already has the Mortal Adoration perk at game start. However, the reason that he is so much better is that his lover is also his soulmate. It turns out the chances of that event firing go way, way up when your lover is also your soulmate. I got it in a couple of tries with Lothaire.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1523351279589810177

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

For anyone trying to get this achievement, the wiki is a bit of a liar. I tried over and over again with Alfonso of León, and I just couldn't get it. He is not the easiest ruler to get this achievement with. The easiest ruler is in the 867 start.

King Lothaire of Lotharingia fulfills all the requirements that Alfonso does - there are a couple of people who want to kill him (his wife and rival, along with his brother who is his primary heir) and he has a lover. He also has an intrigue focused lifestyle. He is also older than Alfonso, so it's possible that he already has the Mortal Adoration perk at game start. However, the reason that he is so much better is that his lover is also his soulmate. It turns out the chances of that event firing go way, way up when your lover is also your soulmate. I got it in a couple of tries with Lothaire.

Noice, I was trying to avoid actually trying for this one, but I'll give it a shot with Lothaire.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Seksiness posted:

Zieley is pretty good. He has a few explanation videos as well as 'rescue your save game' ones which I tend to learn quite a bit from.

These 'rescue your save' vids are great and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Terrific rec

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
After playing lightly modded but Ironman-incompatible, I started an Earl of Wessex start in 867, Ironman. Formed Britannia and also snagged Aquitaine through some finessed landing and marriages. Then got embroiled in a massive series of rebellions that had me -800 in debt. Lost the Empire, The Kingdom of England, the Dukedom of Wessex, and finally was unlanded all within the lifetime of the character who lost the Empire. What an incredible and swift fall. Game Over by like 980.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I’ve never tried a tall play style, I always got for massive map painting empires that shatter into chaos every succession.

This is amazingly efficient and easy to keep control, why wasn’t I doing this before?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I’ve never tried a tall play style, I always got for massive map painting empires that shatter into chaos every succession.

This is amazingly efficient and easy to keep control, why wasn’t I doing this before?

Yeah, it's extremely powerful playing as a tall king.

Rule of thumb-- 19 realm size to keep cg expectations lvl1, 25 realm size to keep max modifier multiplier (4x), 39 realm size to keep cg expectations lvl2. Any higher you're not playing tall

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wtf is tall

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

indigi posted:

wtf is tall

Controlling a few good territories and developing the hell out of them/your culture, rather than actively spreading your empire. Some good spots to try are Bohemia (obviously), Sicily or Sardinia/Corsica, Sri Lanka, or northern Egypt.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

indigi posted:

wtf is tall

There's a common distinction in strategy games between playing "tall" by controlling less territory but focusing on developing it and playing "wide" where you invest your resources more in expanding and controlling lots of territory.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Eldoop posted:

There's a common distinction in strategy games between playing "tall" by controlling less territory but focusing on developing it and playing "wide" where you invest your resources more in expanding and controlling lots of territory.

Tall = Quality
Wide = Quantity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I was doing an Ethiopia game where I wanted to play tall but then I discovered that's it actually pretty easy to inherit Nubia so now I'm just gonna hold on tothem for a while

might turn the neighboring cultures Coptic then spin them off so I have a nice shield when I try to reclaim Alexandria