Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

While the ones in Castlevania tend to be drawn fairly lean, there are an awful lot of fluffy bat species, I'm sure we could find one that matched Soma's coat if we looked enough.

I almost always end up defaulting to Lightning Doll once I'm past the Clock Tower. I'm not sure if I ever tried Nightmare, honestly, but it seems pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Most problems can be solved by throwing a horse at them, it turns out.

Explopyro posted:

While the ones in Castlevania tend to be drawn fairly lean, there are an awful lot of fluffy bat species, I'm sure we could find one that matched Soma's coat if we looked enough.

Honduran Ghost Bat! :3:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah the Nightmare rules, I'm happy you got to keep it!

I'm a bit "eh" on this area. It's nice and chill your first time, but it's so slow to traverse if you're going back to it for corners you missed etc., it has the "iron boots problem", and there's barely a warp in and around it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Shitenshi posted:

There are only a few offensive souls that are better than the Nightmare, and even then with it's cheap MP cost, power, and range, it's still a contender for endgame.

Yeah this is the one I took to the end tbh

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
It turns out that through all the gimmicky souls, a straightforward soul that travels in a straight line and pierces is great.

Ignore that the image of throwing a horse at people is still wacky as hell.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
If you're going to be using a projectile like nightmare, using a sword that swings in a big arc is kinda recommended, since you can hit enemies above and below that your projectile can't reach.

Having a reliable way to strike above and below you becomes more necessary from this point onwards.

Say, has natural20 looked at the bestiary at all?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

AncientSpark posted:

Ignore that the image of throwing a horse at people is still wacky as hell.

Honestly it's part of the appeal.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sylvian Wastes posted:

If you're going to be using a projectile like nightmare, using a sword that swings in a big arc is kinda recommended, since you can hit enemies above and below that your projectile can't reach.

The bigger problem, and I agree with Nat on this, is weapons that you can't landing-cancel. Like the Whip Sword is a nice long ranged straight shot, but you can't cancel it like you can other knives and swords of that type. Meanwhile one of the best swinging weapons in the game does have the landing cancel available, and this is one of the reasons it's so well regarded.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The problem with Nightmare is that it uses so much MP per shot. It is good for room clearing, but there's a number of tough enemies that are more efficient and easier to take out with more underrated souls.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's another entrance to the Underground Reservoir across from that very first save point that Nat refuses to use, you dipped your head in there in episode 1 :eng101:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

C-Euro posted:

There's another entrance to the Underground Reservoir across from that very first save point that Nat refuses to use, you dipped your head in there in episode 1 :eng101:
Yeah, this is why the title card didn't pop up now.

Nightmare is great but I'm still sad we never picked up the Student Witch soul...

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

theshim posted:

Nightmare is great but I'm still sad we never picked up the Student Witch soul...

I'm wondering how many different animal-throwing souls there are now. I'm pretty sure I remember being able to throw birds, too, maybe that was Blue Crow?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hey, sorry for the delay in posting! I got back from my trip to Athens at around 1am and I was too zonked to really do anything!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Nat has to be the first person I've seen struggle with the overhead swinging weapons. I can understand not like the hammer simply because of it's piss poor range and how easily it leaves you exposed, but the Ascalon is a good weapon. With the Nightmare and Death Souls, he should be a walking murder machine.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Legion is basically a check to see if you've got the hand of the backdash. The point of it isn't just that you move out of the way of something, but also that you're moving at all while facing the same direction. There's also no cooldown, so spamming it to skate in reverse is one of the faster movement options you have for most of the game.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Oh my god. Items don't despawn. I think that worm actually ate it.

And the best part was that it was a sword type that Nat liked. With the holy element too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Legion tip: look at the last few seconds of that fight, what was hitting and what wasn't.

More specific: You can duck under it in orb form, and you have a weapon that swings overhead. You'll get lasered eventually but it's a great damage trade.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah the Underground Reservoir is huge, and you haven't even explored the entire thing yet. And I love how sudden that Yoko cutscene is, it's one of the few effective jump scares in this series.

Also there is a save point close to a warp point, it's the one at the beginning of the castle that you keep ignoring :argh:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, and that's how you miss out on Legion's soul. In case you're curious, you need to break all four corpse shield bits before destroying the ball in the middle.

On the plus side, not having makes at least one later fight much more interesting.

e: And on the mistranslation corner, "Skull Millione" is actually supposed to be "Scarmiglione". This whole enemy line consists of devils namedropped in Dante's Inferno.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 5, 2022

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Legion is actually the only permanently missable soul in the game, funnily enough.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Seeing Legion go down like that, it does make me appreciate the bosses in Circle of the Moon and the DS Vania's that much more. There were a handful of duds in each of them, but for the most part they were pretty dynamic and fun to engage with. I like this game and even Harmony of Dissonance spite of it's flaws, but it apparently took Iga some growing pains to consistently make fun and interesting boss fights.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Welp, and that's how you miss out on Legion's soul. In case you're curious, you need to break all four corpse shield bits before destroying the ball in the middle.

lol I knew this would happen as soon as Nat died to Legion once, and having met the requirements to get the Soul the first time no less. Oh well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

anilEhilated posted:

On the plus side, not having makes at least one later fight much more interesting.

Huh. Which fight - I never used that soul?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Huh. Which fight - I never used that soul?
Julius. It's got just enough range to keep you safe while still doing damage.

e: I also thought they're weak to Dark but that is apparently not the case.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 5, 2022

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Ah, if only they'd found an armour upgrade somewhere in the game that they didn't go back for. A shame, that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

I hope this set of episodes isn't as maddening to watch as it was to play.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Balor always gets me. In theory it's parse-able but I have a really rough time with the first phase seeing where things are going and how I fit into it.

Also, Lubicant is another of the mistranslations alongside Skull Millione. It's supposed to be Rubicante.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 6, 2022

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

I hope this set of episodes isn't as maddening to watch as it was to play.

Is it supposed to be unlisted?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

anilEhilated posted:

Julius. It's got just enough range to keep you safe while still doing damage.

e: I also thought they're weak to Dark but that is apparently not the case.

Got it. Balmung is a plausible substitute and god knows they are strong against Holy, aka Claimh Solais.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Lubicant doing work by leading their shots there haha.

Also Order of Ecclesia is my jam, and I would love to see Nat try it.

...And would also like to see him just try to get through Ruvas Forest on hard mode. Someone needs to share my pain on that one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are you this stubborn in real life, or do you just play it up for the viewers?

Also Medusa Head was one of the Souls that I recommended grinding earlier, since as you figured out it lets you completely cheese the second phase of the Balore fight.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

White Coke posted:

Is it supposed to be unlisted?

No! Thank you very much for the spot.

C-Euro posted:

Are you this stubborn in real life, or do you just play it up for the viewers?

If anything I would try more times without viewers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He said you couldn't turn into a bat. He never said anything about giant bats.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Natural 20 posted:

If anything I would try more times without viewers.

That's actually heartening to hear. No matter how this LP ends I hope you give the game another shot on your own time, I feel like you're getting a pretty raw deal by feeling forced to rush through it.

E: I think that's also related to your comment about Hollow Knight feeling easier. Because that game was so open-ended after a certain point, you couldn't really get "stuck" because there wasn't an intended critical path the way there is with older Metroidvanias (at least intended for first-time players)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2022

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I will admit, I honestly don't like most of the overhead swinging weapons either (Ascalon in particular I'm not a huge fan of, with how short it is), they just feel awkward to me a lot of the time. There is one I use a fair amount that's a hard mode exclusive (Death's Scythe has a lot of range on it, so it's a bit different), but the weapon I use most in this portion of the game is one they didn't end up finding (Mystletainn, which IIRC is in the clock tower somewhere, has a very similar speed, style, and range to Hrunting but a better element). And then, of course, there's the Claiomh Solais which is so good it's worth using in spite of being an overhead weapon.

Balore's kind of a weird boss, the old "head and hands boss" is a huge cliche but this is the only time I can think of Castlevania doing it. It's very claustrophobic and you don't have a lot of room to dodge (honestly, this is definitely one I always end up needing a lot of potions for).

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Explopyro posted:

I will admit, I honestly don't like most of the overhead swinging weapons either (Ascalon in particular I'm not a huge fan of, with how short it is), they just feel awkward to me a lot of the time. There is one I use a fair amount that's a hard mode exclusive (Death's Scythe has a lot of range on it, so it's a bit different), but the weapon I use most in this portion of the game is one they didn't end up finding (Mystletainn, which IIRC is in the clock tower somewhere, has a very similar speed, style, and range to Hrunting but a better element). And then, of course, there's the Claiomh Solais which is so good it's worth using in spite of being an overhead weapon.

They didn't need to find Mystletainn, it actually dropped for Nat from a Dryad. Unfortunately a worm ate the drop.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Balore is, I feel safe in saying, the most difficult boss in the game, just because of how unpredictable Phase 1 is.

Anyway, if you haven't gotten it by the time you read this, there's a weapon Nat, that you'll really like. It's, should you want to know what/where, the Vjaya, available by flying up to a suspended platform in one of the vertical segments of the Castle Corridor. It's lightning elemental and attacks straight ahead, usually hits twice, and is jump cancelable.

Past that, Killer Mantle is a weird one. Enemies don't really have MP stats aside from for this one soul, so the swapping part tends to not matter. It is a very fast attacking soul, and there are specifically some enemies where utilizing it can make your life much easier or harder: it's worth experimenting with.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Armor upgrades: irrelevant
Weapon upgrades: don't care

Why am I struggling? A true mystery.

The arena IS tough, however. The side paths are optional and give you big rewards. Also, a bit puzzley. Nothing preventing you from coming back later, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rosalie_A posted:

Past that, Killer Mantle is a weird one. Enemies don't really have MP stats aside from for this one soul, so the swapping part tends to not matter. It is a very fast attacking soul, and there are specifically some enemies where utilizing it can make your life much easier or harder: it's worth experimenting with.

There's one regular enemy that's impossible to kill without it, but that's usually the only time I use it.