Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shadow President (1993) copied it from Balance of Power (1985).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

For your consideration, the best war movie is the new filmatization of Tuntematon sotilas (The Unknown Soldier). In depth depiction of the continuation war in Finland.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4065552/

For the enthusiast there is also the 4h:30min extended version, which more closely follows the original novel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let me tell you all about a series of nine war films....in the stars

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That has the baller dude with the subgun scene.

"You just feed me magazines"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'd like to present for your consideration the old as hell BBC series Sailor.
https://youtu.be/xsdBsiXtXaA
The whole thing was on YouTube- I assume it still is - and includes such gems as a salty as hell Master AT Arms telling a drunk young man "one of the facts of life me old son, you drink a man's drink and you act like a man"

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Roblo posted:

Why is it more scary than the B-2? The higher numbers of it that would be available?

Pretty much.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of the B-2, are there any on display in any of the AF museums? I'd love to see that as well as the Blackbird

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Didn't they only finalize poo poo for the B21 last year? No way we have 200~ right now, that's years of production yet to be done.

I mean, I still believe russian missile command can't launch more than an Estes model rocket at this point, but I'm also sure we don't have $120bil of bombers ready after approval only last year.

Of course not brother, read closer- We’re “What If’ing” first strike viability in the future after we’ve refreshed the entire nuclear triad.. So talking like 2035-2040 a lot of the existing capabilities will be replaced by these next generation platforms in appreciable numbers.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Speaking of the B-2, are there any on display in any of the AF museums? I'd love to see that as well as the Blackbird

I want to say The National Museum of the AF has a B-2 or a ground simulator of one.

That museum is worth driving into Ohio.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The whole thing was on YouTube- I assume it still is - and includes such gems as a salty as hell Master AT Arms telling a drunk young man "one of the facts of life me old son, you drink a man's drink and you act like a man"

Good series, i remember watching it as a child when it was first aired. :corsair:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

so in the first 7 minutes I've seen strippers, midgets, and guys bashing their heads.

Great movie so far!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I want to say The National Museum of the AF has a B-2 or a ground simulator of one.

That museum is worth driving into Ohio.

Correct, the USAF museum has the B-2 they used for dynamic stress testing till the wing tore off. Then they strapped the wing back on and put it in the museum. The bolts and straps holding it back together do not look especially stealthy.

They also have the only XB-70 left in the world, and a Gemini-B capsule for the Manned Orbital Laboratory spy station, and a KH-9 Hexagon satellite which is incredibly cool and awesome and secret astro-spies. Also an A-12, and an SR-71 (and the alternate nose-chine sitting next to it, which I didn't know was nearly hot-swappable)

So, yeah, go to Ohio, see the USAF museum, buy yourself a wheel of Guggisberg Baby Swiss Cheese, and form an orderly line to exit the state.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 6, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

zoux posted:

Something like this probably

I broke that game over my knee using a save editor. Budget surplus exceeding a trillion dollars despite taxes being slashed, world peace, the Soviet Union abandoning its own ideology. It was amazing.

Cimber posted:

Shadow President I believe.

[edit] yep! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_President

That screenshot is absolutely not from Shadow President. I nuked the gently caress out of some countries in that game and never got that screen.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Shadow President (1993) copied it from Balance of Power (1985).

Yeah, it's from Balance of Power and not Shadow President.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The USS Alabama museum in Mobile has an A-12, absolutely worth your time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wish these museums weren't in such terrible states, but I guess you have to drive tourism somehow.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

bulletsponge13 posted:

That scene and the dude are based on a real person (Viljam Pylkäs, who the author served with) doing that in real-life, only they toned it down in the book and the movie.

In reality it was a whole chain of people passing him ammo, and he had to change the gun barrel in the middle, because it overheated and the gun jammed. And that was apparently after he got a bullet in the face.

Lots of the stuff in Unknown Soldier is directly lifted from the author's own experiences, and the original version of the book was heavily edited to remove some of the parts where he vents about things, though the novel was eventually re-released in an uncut form.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

bulletsponge13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WZurJy4B9o

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FrozenVent posted:

IWM Duxford in the UK is fantastic, I was there about 20 years ago and they had a whole building built around a B-52 and also had an SR-71.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

IWM Duxford in the UK is fantastic, I was there about 20 years ago and they had a whole building built around a B-52 and also had an SR-71.

:dong:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FrozenVent posted:

I wanna say there's one in Huntsville at the Marshall Space Center, too.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Too many things to mention at Duxford that are just brilliant but the ability to just wander into the workshops where they are actually rebuilding Merlins to put into the Spitfire right next to it never gets old.

The USA hall let's you get right up to the planes, you can actually get up into the bomb bay of the B17 in a little Perspex bubble to look inside and there's also there's a sign saying "Do Not Touch" next to the Blackbird and that wing edge is just polished with how many hands have run along it.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

I think the splashes around the Makarov's bow are just the forward gun mount depressing too low. Beg pardon if this is old news.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TheWeedNumber posted:

what game is this from?

Balance of Power by Chris Crawford.

I have the guy's book, Chris Crawford on Game Design. The guy's a crotchety old fart and an unreliable narrator to boot, but that just makes the book fascinating - and there is some actual good advice in there, not just air balls.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Burt posted:

Too many things to mention at Duxford that are just brilliant but the ability to just wander into the workshops where they are actually rebuilding Merlins to put into the Spitfire right next to it never gets old.

The USA hall let's you get right up to the planes, you can actually get up into the bomb bay of the B17 in a little Perspex bubble to look inside and there's also there's a sign saying "Do Not Touch" next to the Blackbird and that wing edge is just polished with how many hands have run along it.

Nice! I'm no expert but every UK museum I've been in has been amazing and well maintained. The museum for the Battle of Culloden had a fascinating layout where as you walk down the halls with a timeline of events leading up to the battle one side of exhibits explains the Jacobite perspective while the other is the Government's views. https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/culloden

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

I wanna say there's one in Huntsville at the Marshall Space Center, too.

Huntsville wins by default because it has a fully upright Saturn V that's visible from miles around.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McNally posted:

I broke that game over my knee using a save editor. Budget surplus exceeding a trillion dollars despite taxes being slashed, world peace, the Soviet Union abandoning its own ideology. It was amazing.

That screenshot is absolutely not from Shadow President. I nuked the gently caress out of some countries in that game and never got that screen.

Yeah, it's from Balance of Power and not Shadow President.

Try Bravo Romeo Delta for that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Wright Patt air force museum is fantastic. Worth a drive from Cincinnati or Columbus if you're in the area. Get some skyline on the way out and be confused.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If you are passing by Warner Robins AFB, there's a free USAF museum next door, well worth the stop.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I got a chuckle out of this:

"The Ukrainian authorities do not yet have reliable information about the hit or sinking of another Russian warship - the frigate Admiral Makarov. The data is now being verified."

https://twitter.com/ua_industrial/status/1522701028394688517

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My old man was air force and grew up around Wright Patt and took me there pretty much annually or more for about 20 years. I bought a plaque for him on the wall there after he died. It's a fantastic place and I just want to echo the statements here that it's worth the trip.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

psydude posted:

Huntsville wins by default because it has a fully upright Saturn V that's visible from miles around.

The real prize there is the disassembled Saturn V on display laying on its side in its own building. There are fantastic displays about the engineering challenges overcome in each subsystem (if any of you have any kind of technical bent, they are jawdropping). Added to the holy poo poo of the skyscraper sized rocket you’re walking under. Seriously, highly recommended.

That said, the USS Alabama is a nice chunk of skyline itself, and a good way to spend a day

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I just remembered Vin Diesel was in Saving Private Ryan

lol

lmao

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Try Bravo Romeo Delta for that.

If you beat Bravo Romeo Delta does the Air Force recruit you automatically? Heard that poo poo is unbeatable.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GD_American posted:

The real prize there is the disassembled Saturn V on display laying on its side in its own building. There are fantastic displays about the engineering challenges overcome in each subsystem (if any of you have any kind of technical bent, they are jawdropping). Added to the holy poo poo of the skyscraper sized rocket you’re walking under. Seriously, highly recommended.

That said, the USS Alabama is a nice chunk of skyline itself, and a good way to spend a day

I would like to go to this disassembled Saturn V please

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The USAF museum in Dayton, OH is loving awesome. I got to sit in a fighter cockpit (F-4 I think) and had the biggest smile on my face; it was living a childhood dream.
And to keep this relevant to the thread, they have a MiG-29 there. I did a double-take when I saw it, initially I thought it was just another boring F-15 but then I saw the red star.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

https://www.rocketcenter.com/museum

It’s well worth a day there.

The rest of Huntsville……no. See it on your way to something nicer, like Tennessee

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It owns. One of my friends got married under the main engines.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

My old man was air force and grew up around Wright Patt and took me there pretty much annually or more for about 20 years. I bought a plaque for him on the wall there after he died. It's a fantastic place and I just want to echo the statements here that it's worth the trip.

Former Beavercreek kid checking in -- the AF Museum was an amazing place to go visit. At that time it was totally possible for a sneaky kid to rub their greasy hands all over the surfaces, too. Huntsville and the Saturn Vs are totally worth the visit and I haven't been to the Warner Robins AF Museum in about 20 years but I remember that being decent as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Alan Smithee posted:

I just remembered Vin Diesel was in Saving Private Ryan

lol

lmao

And he died doing something stupid and pointless.
?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vin Diesel owns. XXX is a great movie