Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

postmodern lit ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

The manga drop is really good. Im going to start reading dr.slump once i'm done downloading it. I hope its good too, like the good manga drop i just read.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

gay for gacha posted:

The manga drop is really good. Im going to start reading dr.slump once i'm done downloading it. I hope its good too, like the good manga drop i just read.

dr slump rules a lot, enjoy :cheerdoge:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Waffleman_ posted:

It means he read a lot of Haruki Murakami

oh he did more than just read murakami :v:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they fuckin?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Somebody's driving somebody's car here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mix. posted:

the thing about yiik that kills me is that it was very obviously a different game for half of its development (and you can tell from looking at really early trailers/dev vids) but because the brothers had a family member die halfway through it like. completely wrecked their poo poo and changed the trajectory, and i'd bet real cash the original game was not nearly as cynical as the final product ended up being

there was also some poo poo with people managing to datamine/dig up the original ending for the game from like an early beta build or w/e and it completely recontextualized like half the poo poo (including having the protagonist actually experience the 'oh my god im actually a garbage person this is what im actually like???' realization that, uh, he never gets, in the actual game itself)

it wasn't just any family member, they, were developing the game basically in the same room with their mom as she was dying of cancer and it all came kind of suddenly. given the environment i can understand why it would have an effect on them but i don't think it exactly put them in a video game making headspace and they probably, would have been better off taking a long break. instead of awkwardly changing the entire ending to something more nonsensical and off putting, putting out a game with a ton of major issues and responding to the backlash by going on dick masterson's podcast and putting dick masterson in as an npc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sometimes trauma and tragedy gives us brilliant, legendary works

sometimes they give us yiik

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Colonel posted:

it wasn't just any family member, they, were developing the game basically in the same room with their mom as she was dying of cancer and it all came kind of suddenly. given the environment i can understand why it would have an effect on them but i don't think it exactly put them in a video game making headspace and they probably, would have been better off taking a long break. instead of awkwardly changing the entire ending to something more nonsensical and off putting, putting out a game with a ton of major issues and responding to the backlash by going on dick masterson's podcast and putting dick masterson in as an npc.

yeah please explain the part where they got obsessed with a dead Asian girl who's last moments seen alive were on an elevator camera and how they needed to put the entire thing into their game with her as a major character, suggest she was 'taken' and create an ending where you save her life and live happily ever after with her (might not 100% what happens but holy loving christ was it in poor taste)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The true crime community is brain poison

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Was there like some big hype behind Yiik's release that I totally missed or something.

Like, seems there's an interesting story behind its problems but there's way more people than i'd expect that are interested in the story of a bad indie rpg flop. I'm surprised it has a big enough presence for so many people to be aware of it and to have a bunch of thinkpieces and discussion about all its flaws.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Don't think that there was ever any like pre-release style hype for it.

It got popular because it was very interestingly bad game made by a narcisist and it Definitely helped that it came out around the height of the time where ppl were making fun of soy type nerds/media.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

at some point i figure it just becomes self-fulfilling because the cottage industry of takes springs up around it and anyone in the content business is incentivized to jump on or made so by patreons or w/e

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

pentyne posted:

yeah please explain the part where they got obsessed with a dead Asian girl who's last moments seen alive were on an elevator camera and how they needed to put the entire thing into their game with her as a major character, suggest she was 'taken' and create an ending where you save her life and live happily ever after with her (might not 100% what happens but holy loving christ was it in poor taste)

well i wasn't saying that part was justified either. i think yiik sucks i just have a little bit of sympathy cause i lost a lot of people to cancer too

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
at least yiik wasn't a highlight game for the ouya, like That Dragon, Cancer

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

pentyne posted:

yeah i wasnt talking about that at all lol. that poo poo's hosed and there's no explaining or defending it, and if it'd been in the game even without that pivot there still would be no defending it (or, you know, updating her character in the update that added elemental mechanics and giving her the water element. like. christ dude what the gently caress :stonk:)

also the fact they got guest musicians like toby fox or bo en to do tracks and all the guest musicians quietly refused to acknowledge it post-launch is still very funny to me lol

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yiik was one of the games profiled in that "western indie devs are pushing the jrpg genre forward" article that jrpg fans (rightfully) made fun of a lot, thats how i knew about it before it came out

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Was there like some big hype behind Yiik's release that I totally missed or something.

Like, seems there's an interesting story behind its problems but there's way more people than i'd expect that are interested in the story of a bad indie rpg flop. I'm surprised it has a big enough presence for so many people to be aware of it and to have a bunch of thinkpieces and discussion about all its flaws.

I remember there being a bit of pre-release excitement for it in some of the circles I was in, since it was a pretty unique and ambitious-looking RPG with a pretty big scope for an indie team being published by the same publisher that published va-11 hall-a, and the team's last game was also interesting and kind of ambitious if a bit glitchy and hosed up

and it was helped along by there being basically no other 3D turn-based RPGs not being made by idea factory at the time

Schir fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 7, 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yiik 2.0 will redeem itself with features like making the main character take out a microphone and look into the camera whenever he does a monologue to make them retroactively ironic (real)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

you'll be allowed to put an 'im with idiot' shirt on him but the arrow just points upwards

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the Slayers Anisong Knower has logged on...

Lurking Haro posted:

All Megumi Hayashibara
Megumi Hayashibara and Masami Okui did basically every song in Slayers that wasn't an image song. Okui sang backup on Get Along, for instance.

Larryb posted:

Megumi's done all the Slayers OPs if I recall correctly, yes (and possibly the EDs as well)
S1 ED ("Kujikenaikara ") is a Hayashibara/Okui duet, and S2 ED ("Jama wa Sasenai") was all Okui, but S3 ED ("Don't be Discouraged") was Hayashibara, as are S4 and S5's OPs/EDs. Okui is with JAM Project now and didn't do any work on the newer series.

Hayashibara did all the OPs for the OVAs, except Never Die, which was Okui (and rules), but Okui did all the radio drama songs (which all rule) except for "Going History" (which also rules)

i gotta go to the grocery store because I forgot to pick up meat for the meatballs but i'm gonna :justpost: the Relevant YouTubes when i'm back

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 7, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

yiik was one of the games profiled in that "western indie devs are pushing the jrpg genre forward" article that jrpg fans (rightfully) made fun of a lot, thats how i knew about it before it came out

It was charitably as a Persona-like designed by someone who didn't understand human emotions.

It also had quite possible the worst combat of any "jrpg" released in the past decade, maybe even 2, so they didn't even understand that aspect. Everything, attack/defense, special attack, etc. had to be a minigame.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

pentyne posted:

It was charitably as a Persona-like designed by someone who didn't understand human emotions.

tbf this also describes a lot of persona.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Going to finish Kids on the Slope tonight. Fully expect to cry like an epic man.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Going to finish Kids on the Slope tonight. Fully expect to cry like an epic man.

It's a fantastic show. Need to rewatch it, it's been a decade...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey-Va8Kr7n4

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
okay i got the meatballs going so here are some ~*90s anisong deep cuts*~ from slayers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhlWpUL4boc
process from the Slayers EXTra radio drama is a christmas song, to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jTGYL0G_Rc
like a rainbow" also from the same radio drama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiOnD46jT4w
lol hell yeah the live version of Never Die from Slayers Excellent. masami okui is very cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mKB9vXYv_8
midnight blue from Slayers Perfect, I think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojSywWPMsO4
I & Myself from the Slayers Royal games

your monthly reminder that i'm old and like things that are now old, like me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

okay i got the meatballs going so here are some ~*90s anisong deep cuts*~ from slayers:
lol hell yeah the live version of Never Die from Slayers Excellent. masami okui is very cool.

what do you put in your meatballs? beef? pork? egg? breadcrumbs?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kaoru got kinda fuckin weird there at the end and made me not want to even finish the drat show, lol. Without that it's a clear 9/10 anime. Just makes me wonder why they did him like that. Like.. wtf

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sb hermit posted:

what do you put in your meatballs? beef? pork? egg? breadcrumbs?
half 85% lean beef, half pork, one egg per pound of meat, panko, oregano, basil, parsley, seasoned salt, black pepper. i'd do romano cheese too, but gf is lactose intolerant.

got the gravy recipe from Something Awful Forums Poster and dear friend SPACE HOMOS. added some red wine and sauteed mushrooms. turned out great.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Kaoru got kinda fuckin weird there at the end and made me not want to even finish the drat show, lol. Without that it's a clear 9/10 anime. Just makes me wonder why they did him like that. Like.. wtf

the love triangle where you choose Jesus :)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Strange Quark posted:

the love triangle where you choose Jesus :)
Macross Frontier (2008)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

half 85% lean beef, half pork, one egg per pound of meat, panko, oregano, basil, parsley, seasoned salt, black pepper. i'd do romano cheese too, but gf is lactose intolerant.

got the gravy recipe from Something Awful Forums Poster and dear friend SPACE HOMOS. added some red wine and sauteed mushrooms. turned out great.

that's a pro level recipe for sure. Imma go steal it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sb hermit posted:

that's a pro level recipe for sure. Imma go steal it.
please do. i just put a bunch of stuff in a bowl and mix it up bare-handed. also i think i put maggi seasoning in there. it's seasoned pork. hard to gently caress up.

also lmao city hunter shinjuku private eyes

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TenementFunster posted:

the Slayers Anisong Knower has logged on...

Okui is with JAM Project now and didn't do any work on the newer series.
oh my god i'm a stupid rear end in a top hat who forgot that Masami Okui was chorus on "Plenty of Grit," the Slayers Revolution OP.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

Tyym for posting these, they all slapped even if I’m a lil bitter my favorite is in a mobile game that I’ll never play and reminded me old things own. :)

Also that meatball recipe sounded real good/simple, I wish I wasn’t a fat bastard so I could make a meatball sandwich guilt-free.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
employed again :toot:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mazel tov.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Much congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Condolences