Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah I love trashy romance stuff but I can admit there are some YIKESAROO stuff in regards to race, gender, sexuality and such. There are a fair number of romance novel readers who call out the problematic stuff though. A fair number of romance novels did have the male villain be bisexual because eww gays.

Technically not Youtube but the blog Smart Bitches, Trashy Books reviews romance novels/manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Starship Troopers was one of Heinlein's juveniles. It was specifically written to be part of that line (but was rejected by the publisher). You've got your timeline mixed up here.
It was written for Scribner's as a juvenile, but they rejected it and that pissed off Heinlein to the point that he dumped them and never published with them again.
It was eventually published in a pulp magazine as a two-parter that'd been rewritten.

So it's sort of a juvenile, but also not really - and more to my point, it was rewritten to be more deliberately provocative, in line with all of his subsequent work.

Interestingly, this conversation made me go look at Expanded Universes, because I seemed to remember that it covers Starship Troopers, and one thing that jumped out to me was this:

Heinlein, in response to critics at the time posted:

“Veteran” does not mean in English dictionaries or in this novel solely a person who has served in military forces. I concede that in commonest usage today it means a war veteran... but no one hesitates to speak of a veteran fireman or a veteran school teacher. In STARSHIP TROOPERS it is stated flatly and more than once that nineteen out of twenty veterans are not military veterans. Instead, 95% of voters are what we call today “former members of federal civil service.”
So if it was purely about the "service guarantees citizenship" that people sometimes focus on rather narrowly, it seems to me that only those who were war veterans would qualify under the auspices of all the things that the main character are subjected to being somehow the defining properties of what ensures that those people can be trusted to vote better than the unwashed masses.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 6, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My favorite heinlein thing is how in one of Philip k dick’s novels, after Philip k dick (the character in the book, who is also pkd the real life author) gets canceled by the Illuminati for trying to speak the truth about the alien god satellite trying to tell him the secrets of the universe in his dreams, he’s informed by the main character that heinlein has been hired to ghostwrite the rest of PKD’s literary career to hide the fact that he’s going to be executed, and they all spend like a page dunking on heinlein for being a hack

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

PkD owns bones and deserved better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

twilight apologism is the most pathetic poo poo; its a grotesque exploration of what misogynistic mormon tradwives consider romantic. this is like saying backlash against barbie doll body proportions was to poo poo on something girls liked

Like men, women can also like problematic stuff.

It’s absolutely okay

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Twilight was messy, gross, and problematic in a lot of ways around race, gender, relationship dynamics, etc. It’s not out of bounds and honestly pretty tame as far as trashy romance stuff goes, and yeah a lot of the flak was because it was a trashy romance that got inexplicably big and was mostly read by teen girls and housewives.

And even the problematic stuff you could sort of overlook save for things like "imprinting" and "So do I call you Dad now?" The weird digging in of heels bits.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

CelticPredator posted:

Like men, women can also like problematic stuff.

It’s absolutely okay

what a condencending thing to say to me lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i feel a little confused as to how "this book aimed at teenage girls is hosed" became "they only hate it bc teen girls like it!" like yeah, thats the problem. meyers filled a vacuum in teen fiction with vapid misogynistic garbage.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Violet_Sky posted:

Yeah I love trashy romance stuff but I can admit there are some YIKESAROO stuff in regards to race, gender, sexuality and such. There are a fair number of romance novel readers who call out the problematic stuff though. A fair number of romance novels did have the male villain be bisexual because eww gays.

Technically not Youtube but the blog Smart Bitches, Trashy Books reviews romance novels/manga.

Oh yeah, YA and Romance can be chock-full of YIKES content. The “Romantic/Sexy Kidnapping” is still a super popular trope!

I just can’t throw stones because I love manga and hoo boy there’s some heinous manga out there

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

fun hater posted:

i feel a little confused as to how "this book aimed at teenage girls is hosed" became "they only hate it bc teen girls like it!" like yeah, thats the problem. meyers filled a vacuum in teen fiction with vapid misogynistic garbage.

You would be surprised how often something is hated solely because it's aimed at girls, regardless of its quality.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

I’m just saying it’s not a big deal lol.

Dudes love to watch poo poo that’s jingoistic and action packed with hot sexy ladies with no character and it’s considered normal-ish.

It’s cool if women dig problematic drivel

fun hater
May 24, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Dudes love to watch poo poo that’s jingoistic and action packed with hot sexy ladies with no character and it’s considered normal-ish.

if this were aimed at teen boys i would also think it was bad enough to complain about a lot. just because its normal doesnt mean its good

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"why do people complain so much about Rise of the Shield Hero, just let boys enjoy things lol"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I'm OK with this interpretation, but that is simply not the case. "Holy poo poo this is sexist" is a huge part of talk around male-aimed stuff that, uh, is sexist. Letting people enjoy lovely and problematic things, as long as they understand that they should form the basis of any personal understanding of the world, is a fine position. But pointing out the glaring problems of fiction and fictional worlds is moooostly what the people this thread is about do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I’m not against that.

I didn’t get super deep with it. Twilight is something a lot of women like, even though it’s problematic. It has however been yelled at for years for it’s existence because it made vampires lame and girly.

When I sometimes hear women talk about it on a podcast or something they seem to just enjoy it despite its bad issues. So I guess I think it should be talked about but it shouldn’t be something that people can’t like because it’s bad.

I guess that was my point.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Hbomb fights for the honor of his pancakes

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1522746022463688706

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Most non internet poisoned people only remember twilight as " that movie where Pattinson is a vampire who sparkles at night, loving lmao" that still haunts him even when he's now broody old batman. So that's the part that is general sexism against teen girl media, a valid read. Most people (who did not read or watch them and whose exposure are trailers and bad comedian jokes) don't even know about him standing outside the window or the weird dog imprint poo poo and I doubt they are thinking about those when they say twilight sucks

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I mean, not really, but also sort of.

I got an aggressive cancer diagnosis with very poor odds of surviving give years at the start of 2016, got surgery on the 4th of March, then got chemo and radiation up until the 22nd of May, and then spent the next 6 years getting regular scans until finally getting declared in remission a few weeks ago.

Throughout that time, I've been suffering from extreme exhaustion, which has likely become chronic, and is a known side effect - though it's more of a symptom, and the underlying issue isn't understood at all. I've also been dealing with some amounts of nerve pain from radiation damage, and because I can't work because of the chronic exhaustion, the government is now putting me through all sorts of nonsense to try and evaluate how much they think I should be able to work, because apparently there's no such thing as early retirement if you're under 40.

On the other hand, I'm alive - which, reading my report, I shouldn't have expected to be (I'm not even being hyperbolic here, the doctors really didn't think I'd make it even five years).

Dude I hope that your cancer stays the gently caress in remission, at least some of your bullshit clears up, and you make it through whatever dumb poo poo the government has in store for the crime of not being able to do things.

It's completely bonkers how many hurdles get thrown in front of people who have already been curbstomped by life.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

This is the content I come here for.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's fun to learn via the Shrieking Shack that Edward's creepy "watching Bella sleep" moment is actually because he had an intrusive thought and felt compelled to go make sure she didn't get hit by a meteor

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Is a British pancake usually that thin and large or is this part of the joke?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

from my experience, what the british call a pancake is more commonly known as a crepe to the rest of the world

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

Yes and they also don't use maple syrup because they're perverts.

e- they use Golden Syrup or lemon juice with sugar or orange juice etc.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 7, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

It's fun to learn via the Shrieking Shack that Edward's creepy "watching Bella sleep" moment is actually because he had an intrusive thought and felt compelled to go make sure she didn't get hit by a meteor

Oh god, you can still get existential dread like that as a vampire? Man, gently caress immortality.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

girls are always doing that

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2_9mND2Hsc

Look, I'm only halfway through this video but it's real good. SulMatul makes excellent videos and We Know The Devil is something exquisite.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CelticPredator posted:

True.

I would say (not as an argument, but as an addendum) that around that same time as Twilight was at the height of its popularity, lots of people criticized the Michael Bay's Transformers films for various -isms.

Really, stuff like Twilight and even 50 Shades is really tame compared to something like, say, Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty Quartet.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

And even the problematic stuff you could sort of overlook save for things like "imprinting" and "So do I call you Dad now?" The weird digging in of heels bits.

Was the "So do I call you dad now?" in the book itself or was it one of the jokey asides the last movie added because they were kind of at that point with the adaption? The imprinting itself is bad but like, we do live in a world with all that poo poo around the Omegaverse and the strange pheromone-driven lust. It's fringe as a semi-cohesive genre but a pretty straightforward conclusion to reach any time you try doing trashy romance involving magic wolves or whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Alaois posted:

from my experience, what the british call a pancake is more commonly known as a crepe to the rest of the world

Ah okay then yeah, that makes more sense. Thanks.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yes and they also don't use maple syrup because they're perverts.

e- they use Golden Syrup or lemon juice with sugar or orange juice etc.

I've never actually tried lemon juice on a crepe but it might actually work well to balance out the sweetness a bit, I might try this the next time I make some.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

as a colonial i can vouch for growing up with thin pancakes dressed with sugar and lemon juice as a height of decadence exceeded only by the viennetta.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ghostlight posted:

as a colonial i can vouch for growing up with thin pancakes dressed with sugar and lemon juice as a height of decadence exceeded only by the viennetta.

gently caress yes. So delicious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Was the "So do I call you dad now?" in the book itself or was it one of the jokey asides the last movie added because they were kind of at that point with the adaption? The imprinting itself is bad but like, we do live in a world with all that poo poo around the Omegaverse and the strange pheromone-driven lust. It's fringe as a semi-cohesive genre but a pretty straightforward conclusion to reach any time you try doing trashy romance involving magic wolves or whatever.

Well the line was in the movie but I think it was Caravan of Garbage talking about in both versions it could have almost been okay but they kept shooting them selves in the foot with stuff like that. They didn’t let you gloss over it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Could someone tell me what political affiliations SF Debris has? I question it because sometimes when I watch his videos and it turns to the explicitly political parts of science fiction pre 2016 it gets into some weird centrist stuff? I wonder if he has changed because so far from what I have been watching of his stuff it's mainly analysis of cultures and psychology sci fi uses.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Don't let the French (or chefs) catch you calling European-style* pancakes crepes lol. The thickness is fairly different and so is the consistency. I love both though.

Usually eat mine with blueberry jam or bacon. Or both, it's a good combo.

* I know it's not completely unanimous across the continent but close enough

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hbomberguy is the HowToBasic guy? Who knew!?

(:v:)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yes, most of us Brits basically have no loving clue how to make pancakes. That's why we only attempt to make them once a year.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's easy. You just make a yorkshire pudding, but flat instead of tall. :v:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

It's easy. You just make a yorkshire pudding, but flat instead of tall. :v:

You'd think it would translate over, wouldn't you?

Also we say "American-style" pancakes to refer to what everyone else would just call a pancake. That's how rubbish we are at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

Yes, most of us Brits basically have no loving clue how to make pancakes. That's why we only attempt to make them once a year.

How though? They're easy as piss. Do you only do them on Shrove Tuesday or something?