Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

oh jay posted:

There are social contracts set between the writer and the reader in storytelling. If you're going to break them, it needs to be for more than just a HAHA GOTCHA.

If these contracts erode, then we may as well accept All For One actually being some kind of alien ninja god from outer space (I never finished Naruto).

This is far from uncommon in manga. If they did the fakeout and then cutaway for months that'd be one thing, but it was 1 week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

oh jay posted:

There are social contracts set between the writer and the reader in storytelling.

There really aren't. Horikoshi is completely allowed to misdirect like that if he wants to and if he thinks that makes it a more interesting comic. He doesn't have a social obligation for anything that happens in his comic to make any kind of sense or even follow any kind of traditional narrative structure.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cool, I guess I won't complain that that chapter is bad writing, and go back to complaining that the Stars and Stripe chapters are bad writing instead. Thanks for telling me some are off limits!

Which Dabi chapters are good though? I like it when he dances.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, it absolutely was a cheap as hell misdirect and kinda lame but lol at social contracts

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

oh jay posted:

Cool, I guess I won't complain that that chapter is bad writing, and go back to complaining that the Stars and Stripe chapters are bad writing instead. Thanks for telling me some are off limits!

Which Dabi chapters are good though? I like it when he dances.

Of course you can complain about poo poo in the manga, I just thought the basis of your criticism was loving nutty. 'Hagakure fake-out was bad writing' is a normal statement to say about manga. 'Hakagure fake-out violated the social contract between me and Horikoshi' is loving nutty.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Locke wrote at length about the sacred relationship between the mangaka and their readers.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Down With People posted:

Of course you can complain about poo poo in the manga, I just thought the basis of your criticism was loving nutty. 'Hagakure fake-out was bad writing' is a normal statement to say about manga. 'Hakagure fake-out violated the social contract between me and Horikoshi' is loving nutty.

I was leaning into it being called a "really strong opinion" presumably for using the word pissed instead of annoyed. Tone is hard to convey on the internet.

But what I really want to talk about is, what does the missing toe bone analogy mean from a Petersonian sense?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
AFO’s true goal was to complete a new archetype in the sexual marketplace

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Hagakure fakeout was cool because we got a week of posts and fanart about badass villain Hagakure.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The Hagakure traitor non-reveal was some "comic book cover of Superman grinning evilly and disconnecting the oxygen from Lois Lane's spacesuit" stuff. Just an outright misdirect for no real reason except generating a bit of buzz.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

HellCopter posted:

The Hagakure traitor non-reveal was some "comic book cover of Superman grinning evilly and disconnecting the oxygen from Lois Lane's spacesuit" stuff. Just an outright misdirect for no real reason except generating a bit of buzz.

Checks out, Horikoshi loves western comic books and the entire reason he is writing MHA is in service to that love. His design for All Might comes from it and he fought tooth and nail to keep that design over a more Japanese inspired top hero.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It could've landed more if she had gotten any real focus in the last 300 chapters but maybe that was the point cause she was invisible? It was pretty funny when she was one of those that didn't try to talk to Deku during the 1A fight cause its like oh yeah have they ever talked to each other???

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Checks out, Horikoshi loves western comic books and the entire reason he is writing MHA is in service to that love. His design for All Might comes from it and he fought tooth and nail to keep that design over a more Japanese inspired top hero.

Yeah, it's pretty different feeling from Barrage, which has the tone (true or not) of a manga that's just doing everything to try to do well in the reader surveys.

Editors can be really useful, but they can also get a lot wrong.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

HellCopter posted:

Who is the Jimmy Olson of - Izuku, it's Izuku isn't it?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This whole series is, "What if Jimmy Olsen was Superman for a day?"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We've got two OVAs coming soon, with the first in Summer 2022

Finally getting the baseball episode this series was long overdue for

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vinylshadow posted:

If the second isn't a fantasy themed OVA the fandom in general might riot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

If the second isn't a fantasy themed OVA the fandom in general might riot.

Basically just turn that one ED into a full fledged OVA

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I hope it's just a shot for shot recreation of the Simpsons Baseball episode.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I hope it's just a shot for shot recreation of the Simpsons Baseball episode.

"No, Aizawa, I've decided to bring in a few ringers. Professional baseballers. We'll give them token jobs at the school and have them play on our softball team. Eijun Sawamura, Gorilla Gachi, Yamcha "Wolf Fang Fist" Brown..."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yamcha! What did I say about those sideburns?!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
was thinking about it before and i reckon a good 80% of why i like this manga is all might. the rest is pretty okay but all might owns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

tbp posted:

was thinking about it before and i reckon a good 80% of why i like this manga is all might. the rest is pretty okay but all might owns

United States of Smash still hasn't been topped imo.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I feel like new jump titles won’t survive unless you have the strongest character pop off within 50 chapters, phantom seer needed a gojo or all might to have a big fight

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

December 3rd, 2021 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single mangaka, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Horikoshi revealed who the traitor really was tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Shonen Jump was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach were all quality shonen series that combined effort and victory with friendship. These comics may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and tits that won appreciation from otaku all across the internet. MHA was their newest release, and the internet was of unanimous agreement that it was of unparalleled quality. Following its long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality follow ups such as the Joint Training Arc that raised the bar ever higher for Shonen Action Manga.

Then the traitor's real identity was revealed. This was not just a resolution of a plot thread, it was resolution of Shonen Jump's suicide. It was a reveal intended to completely disregard the social contract between reader and author, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Shonen Jump had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I read Japanese comic books for middle school boys and horny middle-aged women without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Horikoshi had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reddit, I assume

also jfc that was December 3rd? time keeps on slipping

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The social contract post was dumb but thinking about you actually typing all that out to make fun of someone (or hell, even if it's a copypasta) is really sad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oxxidation posted:

reddit, I assume

also jfc that was December 3rd? time keeps on slipping
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/casualisation-and-streamlining.647344/

Yeah, this series keeps moving.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

December 3rd, 2021 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single mangaka, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

Yeah. The reveal that Shonen Jump employs a gorilla as an editor that week... it shook a lot of people's faith in Jump as an institution.

But Me and Roboco couldn't worry about that. As a hard hitting journalistic expose of Shonen Jump, it was committed to truth, not to protecting the magazine's reputation. And people needed to know what Jump was actually like, not just the softball stories that they put in Bakuman.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Horikoshi revealed who the traitor really was tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Shonen Jump was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach were all quality shonen series that combined effort and victory with friendship. These comics may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and tits that won appreciation from otaku all across the internet. MHA was their newest release, and the internet was of unanimous agreement that it was of unparalleled quality. Following its long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality follow ups such as the Joint Training Arc that raised the bar ever higher for Shonen Action Manga.

Then the traitor's real identity was revealed. This was not just a resolution of a plot thread, it was resolution of Shonen Jump's suicide. It was a reveal intended to completely disregard the social contract between reader and author, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Shonen Jump had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I read Japanese comic books for middle school boys and horny middle-aged women without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Horikoshi had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

:emptyquote:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is pretty much where I'm choosing to believe the series ended.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Deku slapping Shigaraki around like a paddle ball was fun Haven't really enjoyed anything as much since

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Electric Phantasm posted:

Think about how great it would have been if that was the end of AfO for real.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kanos posted:

Think about how great it would have been if that was the end of AfO for real.

I do sometimes. Shigaraki building his own organization from the pieces would have been a way better storyline than what we got in MVA.

MVA was just Shigaraki half assed earning the keys to the ultimate super power kingdom.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

I do sometimes. Shigaraki building his own organization from the pieces would have been a way better storyline than what we got in MVA.

MVA was just Shigaraki half assed earning the keys to the ultimate super power kingdom.

I would not call nearly dying three times, discovering the real power of friendship, and having an entire mental revelation half-assing anything.

The Doctor literally says prove you’re worth poo poo or I’m not helping you at all, and Gigantomachia actively targets Shigaraki for months for not being a worthy successor until he can prove himself.

Shigaraki whole-asses that plot line and it had better arcs and growth than several non main-trio heroes.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 7, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nessus posted:

This is a better supervillain speech than any of Shigaraki's. :v:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would not call nearly dying three times, discovering the real power of friendship, and having an entire mental revelation half-assing anything.

The Doctor literally says prove you’re worth poo poo or I’m not helping you at all, and Gigantomachia actively targets Shigaraki for months for not being a worthy successor until he can prove himself.

Shigaraki whole-asses that plot line and it had better arcs and growth than several non main-trio heroes.

Like what you like but Shigaraki gaining the power of friendship was bullshit considering his goals. Everything is a means to an end so him liking anyone is out of character.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

Like what you like but Shigaraki gaining the power of friendship was bullshit considering his goals. Everything is a means to an end so him liking anyone is out of character.

The villains (specifically Shigaraki and his friends) being a found family is like, the whole point of them, and makes the way AfO treats Shigaraki and the League all the more monstrous.

It’s meant to show why Shigaraki is not just the monster AfO built him to be, and why he can potentially be “saved” by Izuku instead of just put down like an animal.

AfO treats everyone as a means to an end, Shigaraki learning to care about his friends is an intentional break from AfO’s world view.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don't agree with Kingslayer's take on MVA - I quite like MVA - but I do think "Shigaraki has to prove himself to the doctor to inherit all of AfO's power" was a misstep. A slower burn where Shigaraki used his newfound power of villainous friendship to slowly build up a new evil empire on his own terms with the help of his villain friends would have been a lot more compelling than "You have passed the Three Trials and now have the Ultimate Power", but I also accept that Horikoshi probably doesn't want to turn MHA into his entire life's work like Oda did with One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The doctor was going to be a regular character that members of Class A and B would run into randomly as well while buying groceries but that also got axed as the manga was set to X6 speed.