Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sarah was seriously good though and was beating Mattea on a lot of those buzzers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Isn't all of CK black and white not just the opening news reel or whatever? Oddly phrased final imo.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

banned from Starbucks posted:

Isn't all of CK black and white not just the opening news reel or whatever? Oddly phrased final imo.

I've never heard of a color newsreel so it seems redundant. It was likely meant as a hint for narrowing the range of films to look for though Xanadu should’ve made it just one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jokymi posted:

https://www.vulture.com/article/jeopardy-champion-mattea-roach-interview.html

Fun interview with Mattea. It ends with her saying she supports Ken for host, just like Amy did during her run.

That sure is a lot of past-tense!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How far in advance are these episodes filmed?

e: jeez, they tape five of these in a day? That's brutal for the winners.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 6, 2022

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How far in advance are these episodes filmed?

e: jeez, they tape five of these in a day? That's brutal for the winners.

I think it's a couple months. I think the tapings for this season end sometime this month, which likely means that those of us in the player pool won't get any potential calls for a couple months now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CPColin posted:

That sure is a lot of past-tense!

Well I am confident that she hasn’t won another 2 months worth of games.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

This actually distracted me for most of the time. I thought of CK right away but thought, "No, that's too obvious, it has to be a later movie referencing it if they're being specific about a black and white newsreel."

I couldn't think of one and just said, "Guess it's really that easy, I'll go with that."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Classic movies and royalty are my biggest blindspots. My partner got it before I was done reading the clue but I don't think I would've gotten it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I had forgotten about the mansion in CK being named Xanadu, and I thought it must be some especially weird B&W movie, so the best guess I could muster was Metropolis. Mattea is definitely bugging me much less now that she's dialed back the chattiness a bit, and she seems very likable in that interview

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Orson Welles also insisted that CK be in black and white and I recall reading it was baked into one of his studio contracts that they wouldn't attempt to colourize it.

it's an "important" movie but it's also a very good movie. There's a reason people always rank it tops on lists.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

mennoknight posted:

Orson Welles also insisted that CK be in black and white and I recall reading it was baked into one of his studio contracts that they wouldn't attempt to colourize it.

it's an "important" movie but it's also a very good movie. There's a reason people always rank it tops on lists.

Yeah, it's one of those movies that I watched begrudgingly like 15 years ago, all, "Fine! I'll finally watch the 'Greatest movie ever'!" And then I watched it, and had to admit, "...son of a bitch, that was really loving good." It earns its reputation.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
RIP Mattea

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All that conservative wagering finally came back to bite her in the end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Goddammit, tonight is the perfect night to rewatch The Changeling and eat spicy ramen :negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mayim is back on Monday

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 17, 2022

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
At last we come to the end of the road, a magnificent performance coming to a premature end

I mean Ken's hosting gig of course unless Call Me Kat has lowered Fox's standards of renewal. Guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Mattea too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

Oh blah, Mayim is back on Monday

It's like they're telling us not to watch in advance

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress!!!!!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
that's a toughie for a canadian for sure

i would have written hartfield (no s) and been absolutely devastated lol

Spokes fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 7, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

drat if that wasn't the most Georgia clue.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm glad the game ended with good wagering! Would have been amazing if it'd gone to a tiebreaker.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

RIP Mattea :canada: Glad you could make the absolute most of your Ken Time before Mayim showed up the next day of filming.

That was a refreshingly well-written FJ question too -- challenging, but with plenty of breadcrumbs to get you there even if you didn't know jack poo poo about Atlanta mayors.

Spokes posted:

i would have written hartfield (no s) and been absolutely devastated lol

poo poo, I can't remember if I said the S or not either. :ohdear: That would have been a heartbreaking mistake to make

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

what a great run. even with the less than perfect moments, cannot overstate how incredible that is at age 23. i did not know my rear end from my butt at 23.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That clue was made for me

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Poque posted:

Oh blah, Mayim is back on Monday

Mattea took a dive.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mattea took a dive.

there are certainly worse reasons

my favorite thing is when people are like "it's rigged" and other people (usually jeopardy nerds) are like "Um, it's a FELONY to rig a game show" as if that's some airtight argument and nobody has ever knowingly committed a felony (no, obviously jeopardy is not rigged)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Spokes posted:

my favorite thing is when people are like "it's rigged" and other people (usually jeopardy nerds) are like "Um, it's a FELONY to rig a game show" as if that's some airtight argument and nobody has ever knowingly committed a felony (no, obviously jeopardy is not rigged)

Not rigging exactly but all the questionable prize stuff Mike Richards was doing on Price is Right showed that the law doesn't care as much as people thought.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Not rigging exactly but all the questionable prize stuff Mike Richards was doing on Price is Right showed that the law doesn't care as much as people thought.

What was this? I haven't heard this part before

side note: lol I'd already forgotten about that loser

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
This article gets into it a little. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jeopardy-mike-richards-price-is-right-1235006082/

Basic answer is that he started getting really shady with it. He decided to start featuring luxury prizes on the Price Is Right despite not really having the audience for it. Since fashion brands also didn't think they had the audience for it, they refused to provide prizes. So he just had people go buy them at outlets, which got them lots of cease and desist letters and left contestants on the hook for full retail price taxes on outlet mall stuff. And since things like luxury shoes weren't actually provided by the brand, it was a "lol sucks to be you" if they didn't fit.

At the same time he started allowing staff to buy leftover items (presumably at a big markdown). Like leftover shoes that didn't fit contestants or leftover handbags that they didn't want to pay fat taxes on along with the usual prizes that contestants don't want.

And he fired all the old staff who would have had a problem with this major change in the rules and put his own people in.

Probably nothing actually actionable or criminal, but impressively iffy.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Spokes posted:

I think those people are just a few steps away from the real answer: why take the risk and rig the game for a slight ratings bump? These aren't untouchable bank CEOs who stand to pocket 8 or 9 figures.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

This is the part that always got me:

quote:

During Richards’ tenure, many lost benefits and paid hiatuses as Fremantle took greater control of the series. The enviable schedule in which five episodes were filmed over four days each week, with staffers getting Fridays off, was tabled as Richards mandated everyone to come in on Fridays even though it wasn’t a filming day.

Because of course he was THAT boss. As soon as I heard that, I could believe he'd do anything.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/1522984185668927488

MONTHS????

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lol jeopardy is so hosed. I recommend people here do what I do, and not watch it for a while.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Mattea threw her last game so she wouldn’t have to deal with months of Bialik as her host.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

We need a Jeopardy! groundhog to see its shadow and send Mayim back into hibernation for a few months.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

We need a Jeopardy! groundhog to see its shadow and send Mayim back into hibernation for a few months.

Like 200-300 months.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I mean, it’s just absolutely no question which host not only performs the role functionally better but actually seems to enjoy being involved in the drat game. Do the games with Ken have lower viewership? Does he want more money? The hell is the reason here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Never underestimate the incompetency of the managerial class.