Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

OTOH it's really nice to have a #20 scooper for pretty rounds the 5% of the time you want to impress, and that's also a great size for cookies, falafel, meatballs, and hush puppies

E: our #40 gets used maybe 5 times a year and #70 basically never

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Having a bunch of different sizes of food dishers is one of those things that seems superfluous but being able pull out one that's the right size for whatever is so convenient.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Anova is making a home chamber sealer 👀

https://us.anovaculinary.com/produc...ASABEgKH1_D_BwE

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Well poo poo, where am I going to keep that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

For the price of two high end Foodsavers 👀

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I can’t decide if I need that over my $60 foodsaver.

Being able to do marinade would be nice but…

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh man this is truly a great time we live in for kitchen appliances I want but really don't need

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're working with anything wet, chamber sealers are a game changer. Same for infusions. I've been lucky enough to work with them in working kitchens for years and Ive always pined for one for home use and here we are...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you're working with anything wet, chamber sealers are a game changer. Same for infusions. I've been lucky enough to work with them in working kitchens for years and Ive always pined for one for home use and here we are...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of ice cream, anyone got a good pecan ice cream recipe?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any of the chambervac crew ever play around with cold brew tea/coffee/other similar drinks? I've used one to make alcoholic tinctures/flavored liquors for cocktails, but nothing that wasn't alcoholic.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sextro posted:

Any of the chambervac crew ever play around with cold brew tea/coffee/other similar drinks? I've used one to make alcoholic tinctures/flavored liquors for cocktails, but nothing that wasn't alcoholic.

Yes. I vac seal basically everything I'm trying to infuse. It speeds up the process exponentially.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Time to take my agua de jamaica to the next level :madmax:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The piston pump kinda sucks but at half the price of the VP95 this will probably get a lot more people chamber vacuuming. Which is honestly one of the most useful devices in the kitchen or bar.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Can you use regular Food Saver type bags in a chamber sealer?

I've had my eye on this one for awhile but I can't quite convince myself to spend the money.

EDIT: A quick Googlin' says that yes, there's different bags for chamber sealers.

slartibartfast fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 6, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chamber sealer bags are actually cheaper than food saver bags

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have oil containers they like? With everything getting so expensive I started buying bulk vegetable oil, olive oil, vinegars, etc and have just been refilling bottles. Counter looks a mess. Would love something that looked a little nicer, maybe kept a pint or so of oil/vinegar that is a little nicer than the clear-bottle-with-pourer you find on every restaurant table.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Sorry to spoil your fun but I think they’re terrible

It’s not the same gun they use at rite aid, it’s some cheap knockoff they stamped their name on

The scoop has trouble staying straight along it’s guide rail

Feels like cheap thin steel which is weird because supposedly the real ones are aluminum but because the steel is so thin it feels cheap

Idk, looking at the reviews some people say they are great, some have issues for both the Thrifty and the generic ones on Amazon. Most positive reviews specify they dunk it in water between scoops.

In the end even the generics are $27 on Amazon so $40 for 2 isn't terrible and if they suck I'll see if I can return them.

On a positive note I found my liquid filled pampered chef scoop. I forgot my ex put it in the dishwasher so it was all tarnished and gross.

But a few minutes on my buffer got it looking like new again.

I can still feel liquid sloshing in the handle when I shake it so at least the dishwasher didn't break the seal. Should be good for a few decades more.

I'll echo the other goon who requested ice cream recipes. I've got my compressor ice cream maker and I want to make a few batches with my 4 year old son. I remember making rock salt hand crank ice cream with my parents when I was about his age but it never got cold enough and we ended up putting it in the freezer and the end product was a depressing vanilla ice cube which I'm hoping the compressor and a good recipe would solve.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of ice cream, anyone got a good pecan ice cream recipe?

I just bought The Perfect Scoop so I'll roughly port over the pecan ice cream I found in it

Buttered Pecans:
25g butter
150g pecan halves
1/4 tsp coarse salt

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Melt butter in skillet, remove from heat
3. Toss pecans in butter to coat, then sprinkle with salt
4. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and toast for 10~12 minutes, stirring once midway
5. Remove and let cool

Pecan Ice Cream:
70g butter
135g dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp coarse salt
500ml heavy cream
180ml whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp scotch whisky
1 recipe Buttered Pecans

1. Melt butter in a pan, stir in brown sugar and salt and mix to combine. Whisk in 250ml of the cream and all of the milk
2. Return pan to low heat until warmed
3. Pour remaining cream into a bowl and set a mesh strainer on top
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, then slowly whisk in the butter/sugar/cream mixture until fully combined. Pour mixture back into the saucepan
5. Stir constantly over medium heat until it forms a custard that coats the spatula
6. Pour custard through the strainer into the cream bowl and stir to combine
7. Add vanilla and scotch
8. Chill mixture in fridge, then freeze
9. Make ice cream according to your machine's instructions, then mix in pecans at the last stage

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That looks pretty good but brown the butter too

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The reason I haven't went with a chamber sealer over just a regular sealer is that they are bulky and heavy as poo poo and the bags only come in one size. I remember eyeing the Vacmaster a few years back, but it was like 50 lbs and my tiny kitchen can't simply put that away somewhere.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 7, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have oil containers they like? With everything getting so expensive I started buying bulk vegetable oil, olive oil, vinegars, etc and have just been refilling bottles. Counter looks a mess. Would love something that looked a little nicer, maybe kept a pint or so of oil/vinegar that is a little nicer than the clear-bottle-with-pourer you find on every restaurant table.

I got these because I liked the shape of these better than others. Plus you can pull out the top spout to pour faster and also screw of the entire top part for refilling.

Superior Glass Oil and Vinegar Dispenser, (set of 2) Modern Olive Oil Dispenser, Wide Opening for Easy Refill and Cleaning, Clear Glass Oil Bottle, Pouring Spouts, 18 Oz. Cruet Set (Set of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHFQVTF/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nephzinho posted:

I use a little cruet, it works great.

Ichendorf makes some cool glass stuff, especially for colored vinegars:

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 7, 2022

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got these because I liked the shape of these better than others. Plus you can pull out the top spout to pour faster and also screw of the entire top part for refilling.

Superior Glass Oil and Vinegar Dispenser, (set of 2) Modern Olive Oil Dispenser, Wide Opening for Easy Refill and Cleaning, Clear Glass Oil Bottle, Pouring Spouts, 18 Oz. Cruet Set (Set of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHFQVTF/

This looks similar to what I used to use without the gimmicky squeeze-tops. Done & done.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

halokiller posted:

The reason I haven't went with a chamber sealer over just a regular sealer is that they are bulky and heavy as poo poo and the bags only come in one size. I remember eyeing the Vacmaster a few years back, but it was like 50 lbs and my tiny kitchen can't simply put that away somewhere.

The space and weight are an unavoidable problem, but the bags come in a huge variety of sizes. You can also cut bags and and just seal bar the bottom to make custom sizes. Most units have an adjustable seal timer so you can even use the thicker veined food saver style ones if you want, or the rolls that you cut to size.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I'm gonna follow up on oil container chat to ask about SPRAY oil containers. There are so many on Amazon, and I'd prefer a decently sized one

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Okay

The PPE is to protect him from the hazardous levels of flavor.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

um excuse me posted:

Okay

The PPE is to protect him from the hazardous levels of flavor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7095296672644730114

Got no wok tossing skills? Wok-O-Magic got you covered!

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
All-Clad is having another factory seconds sale. I've gotten almost all of my cookware from these sales, and half of the items I can't even tell why they are seconds...

https://homeandcooksales.com/

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Cool this is my first one of these. How is the copper core stuff? Also any “basic essentials” I should look for? This is my first time actually wanting to splurge on a few good pieces.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Whoreson Welles posted:

Cool this is my first one of these. How is the copper core stuff? Also any “basic essentials” I should look for? This is my first time actually wanting to splurge on a few good pieces.

What do you already own? What do you mostly cook? I feel like most kitchens need a good 10" skillet and a good 4-6(-8) quart pot, but from there its going to vary wildly. Hell, even what size is pot is going to vary wildly already dpedning on your household size and whether you meal prep. And your storage.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Whoreson Welles posted:

Copper Core is the best and fanciest, but there’s probably not a huge difference between it and D5 (five layer) and D3 (three layer).

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I don’t have a ton of stuff outside the basics, honestly I’m still using the cheaper Stainless Steel set from Wal-Mart suggested at the top of the thread from 2013: 8 and 10in pans, 2, 3, and 5qts as well. I also have a wok and an 8in nonstick pan from Marshalls that are both still good.

So far in my cart I already have a 12in nonstick to replace the one I’ve had for way too many years. Last christmas my wife got me a very good Le Creuset dutch oven and it kind of opened my eyes to actual good cookware, so I’m just looking to upgrade some of the old stainless steel stuff I have. Mainly I’d be looking to replace the 8 and 10in stainless steel pans but I’m open to suggestions.

I cook a lot of chicken, fish, pasta, (gas range) and would like stuff that is oven transferrable as well. It’s just me and my spouse so we don’t need a massive 8qt pot or anything.

Spacewise we’re fine but if I start getting excessive random pans outside what I have already then I’ll need to get creative.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Whoreson Welles posted:

I don’t have a ton of stuff outside the basics, honestly I’m still using the cheaper Stainless Steel set from Wal-Mart suggested at the top of the thread from 2013: 8 and 10in pans, 2, 3, and 5qts as well. I also have a wok and an 8in nonstick pan from Marshalls that are both still good.

So far in my cart I already have a 12in nonstick to replace the one I’ve had for way too many years. Last christmas my wife got me a very good Le Creuset dutch oven and it kind of opened my eyes to actual good cookware, so I’m just looking to upgrade some of the old stainless steel stuff I have. Mainly I’d be looking to replace the 8 and 10in stainless steel pans but I’m open to suggestions.

I cook a lot of chicken, fish, pasta, (gas range) and would like stuff that is oven transferrable as well. It’s just me and my spouse so we don’t need a massive 8qt pot or anything.

Spacewise we’re fine but if I start getting excessive random pans outside what I have already then I’ll need to get creative.

I would just get a 10" skillet if that is the size that works for you. That will get you through pretty much any fish or chicken part preparation you could want. Le Creuset dutch oven is probably an awkward spot for a pasta sauce, so a 4 quart sauce pot is probably a good vessel for making enough red sauce/whatever for 2 + leftovers. Anything nonstick is probably overkill here compared to just buying a tramontina -- do you use it for anything but eggs?

Honestly if my kitchen got reduced to my 10" skillet, my 4 quart staub, my 8 quart stockpot, and my 8" nonstick (exclusive for eggs), I would be fine. And my cast iron (exclusively for sears), I guess.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 9, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i find myself only needing a cast iron skillet and a big motherfucking stainless skillet. i think this fucker is 14"?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i find myself only needing a cast iron skillet and a big motherfucking stainless skillet. i think this fucker is 14"?

Where does one even store something like that? Or is the answer "it is welded to the stove".

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Small Matfer sale on ATK’s website.

https://shop.americastestkitchen.co...mp=&couponcode=

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm curved induction hot plate for woks

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7092250802810539266

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Is there a consensus on All-Clad D3 vs D5 or is it just preference between quicker response and safer, slower cooking?