Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/ZQy7l53.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I want to believe this truck just endlessly cruises the roadways, dispensing deserved judgment on bad drivers

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

that owns

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ChesterJT posted:

It's better than wide open flat land. Ditch is definitely better but I'd take the shelter from debris of an overpass over laying on flat open ground. Indoors, basement if you have one. If not, bathtub or interior doorway (since they should be double framed). And most importantly stay the hell away from windows.
Overpass embankments are both a prominence and a fluid restriction so general treatment of fluid dynamics imply they do no shielding because they are instead inserting you into the more energetic windstreams. Please don't die because of a gut feeling.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

ChesterJT posted:

It's better than wide open flat land. Ditch is definitely better but I'd take the shelter from debris of an overpass over laying on flat open ground. Indoors, basement if you have one. If not, bathtub or interior doorway (since they should be double framed). And most importantly stay the hell away from windows.

It's actually more dangerous to be under an overpass because the shape can cause debris and higher winds to pass through there. The NWS has been trying since that one video came out (and lucky it wasn't a direct hit by a strong tornado) to warn people about taking shelter under an overpass or bridge.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The thing that stands out to me most in the 'tornado at the clubhouse' vid is that they didn't think to break into the building. Sure, the tornado might knock it down and being inside when that happens would be bad but I wouldn't want to take my chances on the porch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

vortmax posted:

It's actually more dangerous to be under an overpass because the shape can cause debris and higher winds to pass through there. The NWS has been trying since that one video came out (and lucky it wasn't a direct hit by a strong tornado) to warn people about taking shelter under an overpass or bridge.

Because of this, Man of Steel Superman is potentially responsible for killing people IRL

although he's probably less deadly than the latest Spider-Man.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

This is the best thing I have seen this year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CommieGIR posted:

Suspect that engine also ingested some water.

Probably not. The intakes are likely on top of the engine and it sucks in air through those holes in the glass.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

Having never experienced a tornado before, where the gently caress should this guy be besides as far away from this poo poo as possible?
It seems like the building might provide adequate shelter, and since the guy seems to have lived to post the video, it must have, but maybe in another circumstance it wouldn't have.
But being out in the middle of the golf course would be worse?

Given where he is at that moment, and not knowing what notice he’s had, hit the deck and roll towards the nearest most solid wall wherein the fewest flying 2 x 4s are likely to peg you in the brain. Or keep filming. Which ever gets you the most tube hits. Either way.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like his windows might have been open too.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What are you talking about you crazy rear end in a top hat?? What kind of insane person takes their feet off the pedals of a bike when they brake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeISAC4sofo&t=78s

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

There's an rear end in a top hat like this in my town who rides completely recklessly and acts like he is somehow skilled because he rides with no hands. It's really easy to ride with no hands and only an idiot would think it's a special skill. This rear end in a top hat has nearly killed me 2 or 3 times by speeding on the bike path and then blind cutting across the lane. I yelled at him once and he threatened me and I just rode up to a bar with a bouncer and the twat took off. I haven't seen him in a couple of years and I suspect he died in a stupid loving bike accident which was entirely his fault.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

B I K E C H A T T I M E

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sotp. Hmmaer tiem!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Darryl Lict posted:

It's really easy to ride with no hands and only an idiot would think it's a special skill.

On my new bike it actually is hard to ride no hands. On my old bike I could ride no hands for miles and even change my sweater doing it. My new bike is good. It's like they made it to be hard to ride with no hands, if that's a thing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Karate Bastard posted:

On my new bike it actually is hard to ride no hands. On my old bike I could ride no hands for miles and even change my sweater doing it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Awful, awful technique. Just awful.

Lemme show you how to strip

E: hup

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 7, 2022

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I get to post hometown OSHA, didn't think it would happen but here we are.

A fire happend in Valmets paper machine factory in Jyväskylä. They were testing a paper machine roll when apparently a bearing seized, which lead to misting oil and eventually to a large oil fire.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12435705 for aftermath of the fire.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

"Howdy! I got no brakes brains!"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/9fh9WhZ.mp4

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I have definitely taken off a pullover while driving before. I’m not sure if I should consider myself lucky or if that guy is just a special type of dumbass.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ror posted:

I have definitely taken off a pullover while driving before. I’m not sure if I should consider myself lucky or if that guy is just a special type of dumbass.

Both. You shouldn't do that while driving, but it can be done while keeping a hand on the wheel at all times and bunching up the body so its over you're head quickly.

That guy did worse than John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Lucky would be my bet. That guy was lucky in the sense that no oncoming traffic got in the way of his offroad career. If I recall correct, the lead dev of the team that made Company of Heroes was killed by a lady who accidentally changed lanes on a high speed limit road while taking off a sweater. The poor guy had just enough time to choose between taking the brunt of the impact himself or letting his wife and 1 month old baby share the impact with him. He chose death to protect his family.

Don't kill people over a goddamn sweater. Pull over and take off the sweater if its that big of an issue.

Edit: correction: it was a guy who wanted to take off the sweater and asked the lady sitting next to him to take over steering while he did so.

https://kotaku.com/company-of-heroes-dev-gave-his-life-to-save-his-family-5631947

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 7, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/EydKk27.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's uh, that's not how you make bowling balls...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

finally

my balls

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cojawfee posted:

Well, not with THAT attitude.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

It's how you make :orb:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SerthVarnee posted:

Edit: correction: it was a guy who wanted to take off the sweater and asked the lady sitting next to him to take over steering while he did so.

https://kotaku.com/company-of-heroes-dev-gave-his-life-to-save-his-family-5631947

It was a woman and she wanted to put the sweater on:

https://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/pdf/673769.pdf

Two passengers in their SUV also died.

Edit: Holy poo poo, the chutzpah here:

quote:

Weichert contends the sentencing court erred in denying the defense's request for an exceptional sentence below the standard range based on the argument that Bowling, a victim of one of the counts of vehicular assault, was "to asignificant degree ... an initiator, willing participant, aggressor, or provoker of the incident."

"You shouldn't punish me as harshly because one of the people I killed was the person who gave me the sweater and took the wheel when I asked her to."

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 7, 2022

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh yeah so it was. Sorry about the mixup. American naming conventions throw me for a loop sometimes.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Where do I see the full length docudrama series?

It's just so beautiful.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It must have been pretty impressive to have a nice orb in the days before power tools.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ror posted:

It must have been pretty impressive to have a nice orb in the days before power tools.

It would have to have been a long time ago.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Those lathes weren't power tools. They would have been operated by a bow, or with a sprung treadle. Here is one from the 1500s, but similar tools go back at least to the Roman era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I73H4bxZY_0

There is evidence of water-powered lathes existing from the 1700s, which makes them a power tool at that point imo.

The tool is not that big a leap from water-powered millstones and grinding wheels, which were in use by the first few centuries AD, so I wonder why it took so long to apply the concept to a lathe? Inability to make the sort of gearing and smooth drive systems that would be needed to run a fast lathe spindle from a slow waterwheel? Just plain lack of necessity of that level of mass production?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ever had a girl lathe your balls?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rbg1dds97d1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rbicncKDot1qigfjt.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Unsafe. We do not know who else may be watching.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

What is that actual,ly? Is that some glass they've poured or is it some kind of rock crystal they've dug up or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Drone_Fragger posted:

What is that actual,ly? Is that some glass they've poured or is it some kind of rock crystal they've dug up or what?

They're working on a resident evil puzzle