Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Njashi9 posted:

Mr Fantastic saying that Strange is the biggest threat to the multiverse got a small chuckle from me as a comic nerd. I mean that's really rich coming from you Stretch.

A really classic Reed move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Here's a What If... speculative look at the future.

Mind you I haven't thought this scenario through at all so go nuts poking holes in it.

So Wanda supposedly dies under vague circumstances. Now what if Marvel, instead of recasting yet another boring lady to be very dull Jean Grey, just let Wanda assume her true heritage as a mutant, and she joins the X-Men under Xavier's tutelage. And then SHE gets possessed by the Pheonix Force down the line?

Might suck, but it might kick rear end.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is Krasinski going to be the Reed Richards or was this just stunt casting?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

live with fruit posted:

I hope this was a fan casting executed all the way for the sole purpose of killing him off immediately. That would be funny to me. But if he is or isn't Reed moving forward, cool.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Doronin posted:

I hope this was a fan casting executed all the way for the sole purpose of killing him off immediately. That would be funny to me. But if he is or isn't Reed moving forward, cool.

Seems a little strange (no pun intended) introducing the new Tony Stark by having him get taken out in two seconds.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The music fight may be the best thing I've ever seen in MCU SFX

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Black Bolts brains blasting back into his mask is an image that'll stick with me for a while. Yikers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PantsBandit posted:

Black Bolts brains blasting back into his mask is an image that'll stick with me for a while. Yikers.

All the deaths were great :black101:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

My gripe is that if I can have a horror experience like from Event Horizon or madness like from Mandy, like why can't I get that creepiness/dread/asthetic in an MCU movie?

Because it’s a PG-13 summer blockbuster and not a art house or schlock R rated horror????

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

All the deaths were great :black101:

If you look close you can see a bit of brain sliding down the side of their head lmfao

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I'm mostly amused that they had no qualms on showing Black Bolt's exploded head or Stretchy's whole body turning into grated cheese, but suddenly cutting a woman in half is a step too far

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

live with fruit posted:

Odds are high that this is the future casting. I'm sure it's a test of some sort but it'd take a pretty negative response to change course. That said, he might have not been down to sign a big contract but was willing to do this. My bet is it's the same in future movies.

Ignis posted:

I'm mostly amused that they had no qualms on showing Black Bolt's exploded head or Stretchy's whole body turning into grated cheese, but suddenly cutting a woman in half is a step too far

the spoilers this far deep are silly, hah. This post is completely unintelligible without the spoilers, why have anything unspoilered?

Glottis fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 7, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think the only part of this movie I liked was Dr Strange the curiously decomposed animate corpse. Like that fucker was fresh if battered at the end of the first scene and by the end of like, not even a day he's that rotten? I could swear I could see him getting groodier the longer the rooftop bit went on too. It was weird. Anyway the movie was really really klunky and I don't think I'm happy I spent my increasingly less valuable money on it.

Also Wanda's evil plan and it's obvious pitfall was better executed by Kingpin.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

They throw the incursion stuff in there but honestly I doubt most viewers would care if they didn't read a pretty specific timeframe of avengers comics.

MAJOR MARVEL COMICS SPOILER FROM LIKE A DECADE AGO: Incursion stuff lead to Marvel's ending of the Ultimate Universe and an Infinite Crisis level reset of everything.

Now if I have to speculate, if Kang the Conqueror needs to have a Thanos-esque goal, it would be to avoid "Everything Dies."

If those two words ever show up in any future teasers, just know that Hickman needs to get an eight figure bonus check because Christ.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I liked it. Wanda was a cool villain, I loved watched her tear poo poo up. I haven't watched a Marvel movie since Ragnarok but I found it easy enough to follow.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
This was a complete mess and it felt like they threw all of the footage into a woodchipper. The parts that were edited like a music video from the late 90s were fun. Wanda's performance was very entertaining and the 10 minutes of Evil Dead references were great.
Some random observations/nitpicks:
-The Illuminati stuff feels bolted on and weirdly timed. Especially Professor X "I'm going to be suddenly very supportive of you in this shot where you can only see me and then when they next cut to this room I won't be here anymore, also Mordo's weakness is this tiny moat"
-The Wundergore being a cramped outdoors set instead of a temple was a strange choice, especially if we're meant to believe there's a book's worth of spells on those walls.
-The multiverse exploration stuff was mostly reduced to the overgrown world, which looked like a bad, late-Pixar world. Your memories being broadcast to everyone around you when you step on an unmarked manhole cover in the middle of a sidewalk has to be the worst exposition gimmick of all time

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spermando posted:

Mordo's weakness is this tiny moat"

He was even wearing the Vaulting Boots of Valtorr!

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

live with fruit posted:

I immediately noticed he was still skinny under that cgi suit. No typical MCU buff up like Pratt or Nanjiani.

This feels like stunt casting. I'm happy they did it, but I can't imagine it sticking

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I immediately noticed he was still skinny under that cgi suit. No typical MCU buff up like Pratt or Nanjiani.

This feels like stunt casting. I'm happy they did it, but I can't imagine it sticking

He was very noticably CGed in so it seemed like something they didn't come up with till reshoots. (Actually, according to old leaks, it was originally Balder the Brave, whoever that is.)

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 7, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Caidin posted:

I think the only part of this movie I liked was Dr Strange the curiously decomposed animate corpse. Like that fucker was fresh if battered at the end of the first scene and by the end of like, not even a day he's that rotten? I could swear I could see him getting groodier the longer the rooftop bit went on too. It was weird. Anyway the movie was really really klunky and I don't think I'm happy I spent my increasingly less valuable money on it.

Also Wanda's evil plan and it's obvious pitfall was better executed by Kingpin.

I guess the Dark magic had something to do with the rapid decomposition, both from the manner of his death and getting meatpuppeted by Strange Prime.

live with fruit posted:

He was very noticably CGed in so it seemed like something they didn't come up with till reshoots. Which makes me wonder if he was supposed to be Cruise Stark originally.
Or even RDJ back as Tony, if he'd been willing. He would have had Morgan in that timeline and still be alive, right ? So that exchange with Wanda would have worked with minimal rewrites. (although I'm imagine how Tony would have gone out and it's pretty :stonk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It would have been fun to continue the Tony always dies meme from What If though

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Marvel doesn't have anything lined up after The Marvels next summer and F4 is still listed as Phase 4. Add in Watts stepping down a couple weeks ago and maybe the writing's on the wall actually.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

live with fruit posted:

Marvel doesn't have anything lined up after The Marvels next summer and F4 is still listed as Phase 4. Add in Watts stepping down a couple weeks ago and maybe the writing's on the wall actually.

Removing the spoiler because there are no spoilers in this.

Blade is still TBA but given Marvel's preferred release cycle of February/April-May/July/November is probably February 2024, so after The Marvels. F4 was stated in Marvel's Phase 4 reveal to be the capstone movie; every capstone movie plus Infinity War was released in the April-May window, so that's consistent too. We haven't heard anything about movies after F4 because Marvel aren't releasing details on Phase 5 yet and will not do so until all the Phase 4 release dates are set in stone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
surprised nobody has mentioned all the Darkman references, which was a tiny bit surprising to me

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Because it’s a PG-13 summer blockbuster and not a art house or schlock R rated horror????

…poo poo, I didn’t think my brilliant plan through. You’re right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mandy kicks rear end tho. But I don’t think Sam Raimi would ever want to hit Mandy’s tone. He likes to spook ya and make you laugh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

precision posted:

surprised nobody has mentioned all the Darkman references, which was a tiny bit surprising to me

What Darkman references?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm gonna say that demon in the opening was blackheart

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

live with fruit posted:

A rumor I heard was that the original F4 director stepped down because Krasinski directing is part of the agreement to him getting the role.

live with fruit posted:

He was very noticably CGed in so it seemed like something they didn't come up with till reshoots. (Actually, according to old leaks, it was originally Balder the Brave, whoever that is.)

Balder is Thor's BFF from Asgard. Since the first Thor movie gave him enough of a friend group, Balder wasn't really necessary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

What Darkman references?

visual references, i mean

like when Zombie Strange is giving the heartfelt speech near the end

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Admission, I am tasteless philistine for MCU and they're the only films I really watch anymore.

Anyway, this was a loving great time. We saw it last night in a theater packed with loud high school kids and being able to cheer laugh and crack jokes was amazing (I take it that's the Sam Raimi energy). GF and I laughed our asses off a few times and I'm pretty sure she jumped at a few of the scares. I love what they did with Wanda and it was "the only way" after the events of wandavision IMO. Everything about the Illuminati was great especially a certain theme song and hovering rear end-chariot.

This film really kept me guessing and I never felt like I knew what was going to happen, or what the right thing for the characters to do was.

I was curious about some of Wong's decisions, the significance of the minotaur who I thought was comics Wong, and where the gently caress was Vision?

Gavok posted:

Balder is Thor's BFF from Asgard. Since the first Thor movie gave him enough of a friend group, Balder wasn't really necessary.

It's strange (lol) to think they'd introduce him now considering he was most important to the events of Ragnarok (as far as I remember). But then Adam Warlock and Thanos being cosmic frienemies was central to the entire Infinity arc (for obvious reasons) and they're only just bringing Him in now post gauntlet.

Maybe the emergence of Warlock and Starfox will mean a Thanos resurrection? I personally loved the Infinity War and the doppleganger invasion, and doppleganger Thanos being teased/threatened was some of my favorite comic poo poo because of the implication. IIRC he kind of just ended up being just like Thanos with a very slightly different color shading, which might just show how he's starlin's beloved little treasure cunning and powerful Thanos already is.

Edit: can't stress enough how much I enjoyed the doppelganger arc and its various extended consequences. Even and perhaps especially the issues that didn't really have any impact, like moon knight's or the one where, and I know it sounds crazy, vampire doppelganger gambit gets on the wrong plane and fights nomad I think? He energy charges a dude and pops him!

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 7, 2022

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I think I'm getting too old/cynical for these movies because all the emotional stuff just made me laugh. Like America's first use of her power being punching a star-shaped hole in some kind of utopian looking reality that suck in her parents while this dramatic music plays. Like nah, man that image is just too silly for me to take seriously.

I did enjoy the rest of the movie though. Definitely felt less cookie-cutter than most other Marvel-related things.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This is perphaps the first marvel movie I thoroughly did not enjoy. i have no idea about it's production, but it felt like it was tossed together in the 4 months since Spiderman No Way Home.

The thing I was looking forward the from a Dr. Strange vs. Scarlet Witch movie was cool wacky visual fights, like the Dr. Strange vs Thanos sequence in Infinity War but more of it. Instead all the fights end up just being Harry Potter duels where they fling FX bolts at each other. They only used the mirror dimension once in the entire movie and even that sequence felt slow and uninspired.

The plot I was out of it halfway through the movie. "This child is instrumental to the villain's plan and killing her would definitely thwart them, but we can't because then we would be no different than the villain" starts to make less and less sense when the body count keeps piling up and as more people get involved.When Scarlet Witch breaks into the Illuminati facility and starts facerolling the Avengers, Christine starts tapping something on her computer and I thought "Ok, good, she is activating the gas or self destruction sequence on America's container, right? Because the previous sequence she recognized that her powers were the bigger threat and she wasn't messing around" but nope, she was trying to open the door to let her escape, which fails because SW jams the computer so she starts ramming the containment glass with a fire extinguisher.

That entire issue could have been so easy to fix with just a throwaway line like "we can't just kill the child as her death would violently release her power and shatter the walls of the multiverse".

To me the best part of the movie was Scarlet Witch herself whenever they had her doing creepy stuff with her power, which is something that they had teased in Avengers 2 and then completely dropped and replaced with Harry Potter bolts for the rest of the movies, so it was nice to see it back. And I don't mind her power level boost for the sake of plot, but I wish they were consistent with it and not have her instantaneously turn Richard Reeds into spaghett and then 10 seconds later get into a punch fight with Agent Scarlet and beam struggle with Captain Marvel to give enough time for the good guys to escape

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Very bold pro child murder stance you got there

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

lezard_valeth posted:

That entire issue could have been so easy to fix with just a throwaway line like "we can't just kill the child as her death would violently release her power and shatter the walls of the multiverse".

They did though, she releases her because 616-Stephen begged her to keep her alive, and she clearly trusts the Strange at least to some degree

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Necrothatcher posted:

Very bold pro child murder stance you got there

Put this guy in the illuminati.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I find it funny that the people apparently most into MCU stuff disliked this movie while I'm pretty checked out of MCU stuff except as 'lol, that happened' references and thoroughly enjoyed the crazy poo poo.

Honestly it's the first MCU movie in a while to have a distinct directing style and thumbprint, and is just overall stylish as hell.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s because it’s a very cool and well done movie and a really dumb Marvel story.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BRJurgis posted:

But then Adam Warlock and Thanos being cosmic frienemies was central to the entire Infinity arc (for obvious reasons) and they're only just bringing Him in now post gauntlet.

This right here is my favorite change from the comics to the MCU. I have never found Adam Warlock to be interesting and keeping him away from Thanos means we didn't have to deal with the Jim Starlin writing style of "my original character Thanos is stronger and smarter than everyone else and nobody can beat him unless he allows himself to lose or if my other original character defeats him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

lezard_valeth posted:

The plot I was out of it halfway through the movie. "This child is instrumental to the villain's plan and killing her would definitely thwart them, but we can't because then we would be no different than the villain" starts to make less and less sense when the body count keeps piling up and as more people get involved.When Scarlet Witch breaks into the Illuminati facility and starts facerolling the Avengers, Christine starts tapping something on her computer and I thought "Ok, good, she is activating the gas or self destruction sequence on America's container, right? Because the previous sequence she recognized that her powers were the bigger threat and she wasn't messing around" but nope, she was trying to open the door to let her escape, which fails because SW jams the computer so she starts ramming the containment glass with a fire extinguisher.

It's fine for you not to like the movie obv, but lol at this part. Even beyond the obvious child murder dunking, it's a superhero movie it needs the hero part. It even demonstrates that the main character (and others) resorts to that very action in every other reality. Like the whole arc is about not being a control freak and empowering Chavez to realize her potential and control her abilities.

It's like people getting angry at steve Rogers for not sacrificing Vis in infinity war. Characters make tough choices, in an instant sometimes, and the reasons they do what they do are more important than the eventual results because it's a story.