Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I honestly don't think they care, and if they do lose they'll blame it on Long Corbyn and the papers will go with it.
all hail the prophet

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61359522

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2022-05-06/no-dup-executive-return-until-ni-protocol-issues-resolved-donaldson-confirms

No big surprise that Donaldson would rather collapse Stormont than be deputy. It's a shame the GFA has no contingency for this.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Prison Planet Paul Joseph Watson got caught saying what the Right wing actually believes in public.

Content warning, dude is racist as hell.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1522845373164883968

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Advanced audio technology has allowed us to hear what actually goes on in that basement for the first time.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

99's claim was that they had no other way to get food while out on the road which wasn't true - restaurants had been open for outdoor eating since the 12th.

Even if they had just been eating, they didn't need to cluster all 30 of them into a room to eat and then remain afterwards drinking.

Yeah, but... it's not actually that though, is it? They had to get food, so they had one big delivery, rather than going out and mixing with other members of the public at multiple establishments. I wouldn't expect people to sit outside at 10pm in April either. I also really doubt there were 30 in a room since in the video we have, you can barely even see anyone else in the room at the same time. He's not even close to nudging elbows with anyone else.

Maybe the additional evidence will show how naughty it all was, just, you know, take a step back from the outrage and try to be objective (you may still be entirely justified too!). Curry and a beer - would it have been ok if it had been sandwiches and orange juice? Is the real problem that he had something nice? Was the spirit of the covid rules that we all had to be miserable?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Reminder that although politics is Bad, dogs are Good. Especially this Boy who is very Good.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There really is a piss thin vernier that separates the respectable right wing and horrific racist paedophile cabals

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/1522859602739712007?s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Not surprised PJW has heated gamer moments, he seems the type.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

OwlFancier posted:

And also if he had something wrong with his brain that made him just repeat the same thing over and over in response to questions lol.

I had to double check the timeline to make sure it wasn't a really short clip looping.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Scotlab really grasping the opportunity to take back control of Glasgow City Council with both hands today.

https://twitter.com/andrewlearmonth/status/1522606041791352836?t=1qlZxF_OtlPNL6Xz84u0VA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

There really is a piss thin vernier that separates the respectable right wing and horrific racist paedophile cabals

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/1522859602739712007?s=19
A terrorist, a sex predator, and a white nationalist pogrom guy is an intriguing mix of characters. Two leftists on the same panel is bias.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Scotlab really grasping the opportunity to take back control of Glasgow City Council with both hands today.

https://twitter.com/andrewlearmonth/status/1522606041791352836?t=1qlZxF_OtlPNL6Xz84u0VA

It can't be said enough that dreams of a Leftwing Coalition are all bullshit because the Labour Party hates the left of their own party nevermind the left outside of their party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One of the secret endings of Britain is where every party is revealed to be a branch of the SNP since the 1800s.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is there anywhere to read up in Northern Ireland politics as I'm seeing that someone in the DUP is acting as if the democratic will of the people is not "really" for the people they voted for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Is there anywhere to read up in Northern Ireland politics as I'm seeing that someone in the DUP is acting as if the democratic will of the people is not "really" for the people they voted for.

The DUP are segregationists. They genuinely don't view Irish Catholics (or anyone who might be inclined to vote for Catholics) as people, and so their opinions do not factor into any meaningful democratic consensus.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Gonzo McFee posted:

Prison Planet Paul Joseph Watson got caught saying what the Right wing actually believes in public.

Content warning, dude is racist as hell.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1522845373164883968

It’s horrendous and entirely predictable, but it really doesn’t sound like him to me. Has it been verified?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

willie_dee posted:

It’s horrendous and entirely predictable, but it really doesn’t sound like him to me. Has it been verified?

From the article

quote:

The recording was confirmed by three secondary sources.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

To understand the various unionist and loyalist parties, you first need to understand the historical schisms of the Presbyterian Church, as both mostly exist to spite the Pope have a common factor of budding off ever more extreme factions in the name of doctrinal purity every so often.

DUP came out of the Protestant Unionist Party by way of the Doctor Reverend the Ian Paisley of the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster. They want to preserve democracy by denying Catholics the vote because the Pope turns up in person to give every Catholic a small book dictating which way they must vote, so they say, and therefore allowing them the vote isn't democratic.

They took over as the largest faction from the Ulster Unionist Party in the 2000s, because some viewed the UUP as a bit too soft.

TUV are the shouting Big Jim Allister faction who think that the DUP are a bit too soft.

A couple more compaction cycles time and the main loyalist party will be the Literally Doing Nothing But Standing There Screaming No Surrender Party.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

fuctifino posted:

From the article

Ah I didn’t see that, thanks. Someone else has also pointed out his YouTube voice is not his real voice.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
glad to see the tories breaking another milestone and getting up to -400 council seats, inspiring

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

One of the secret endings of Britain is where every party is revealed to be a special branch of the SNP since the 1800s 1970s.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Delusional, bible thumping, young earth creationist, anti catholic people with a well developed siege mentality.

Not much room is left for critical thinking (that's probably anathema to them).

As a former catholic (yay atheism!!! :) ) here in Northern Ireland i will admit my bias on the matter.

Not exactly looking forward to getting ruled directly by the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland: Brandon Lewis but that is what happens when we can't achieve a local government here. :ughh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Angepain posted:

glad to see the tories breaking another milestone and getting up to -400 council seats, inspiring

Plenty of new council budgets for them to slash for austerity 2.0

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been Catholic all my life and I want my goddamn orders from the Pope and my riches please, this is bullshit

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I've been Catholic all my life and I want my goddamn orders from the Pope and my riches please, this is bullshit

You'll get to eat fish on Fridays and be content with your lot. :colbert:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay but it seems as if the DUP are continuing to lose popularity and the other unionist groups all hate each other as much as they hate anyone else. So what is the end game here? What can be done to end the problem without the DUP or unionist groups getting increasingly armed and belligerent?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On the current trajectory the Unionists in NI are in inexorable decline: the Unionist population is on average older than the Nationalists and has fewer children: they're shrinking year by year as a proportion of the total population. They also have no political leverage at Westminister and no coherent alternative to the Nationalist plan for a United Ireland. To regain momentum, they'd need some kind of fundamental change, and their whole thing is resistance to change, so....

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

For anyone not paying attention to NI politics it’s hard to overstate just how badly the DUP hosed up by getting into bed with Theresa May and subsequently getting hosed by Boris. It’s all extremely amusing.

In other news - Hancock becoming a crypto evangelist seems entirely on brand

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember when crypto meant cryptography and the Tories hated it because terrorists could send cat pictures over Skype without the Home Office being able to see them.

Now that it refers to a ponzi scam rather than anything of any use to anyone they love it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

On the current trajectory the Unionists in NI are in inexorable decline: the Unionist population is on average older than the Nationalists and has fewer children: they're shrinking year by year as a proportion of the total population. They also have no political leverage at Westminister and no coherent alternative to the Nationalist plan for a United Ireland. To regain momentum, they'd need some kind of fundamental change, and their whole thing is resistance to change, so....

NI census results start to get published next month, should be interesting.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The NI results also throw another spanner in the Brexit works as there will not now be a majority in favour of ditching the protocol in a couple of years when it comes to an assembly vote. Something the Tories were no doubt very much hoping would happen.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

As someone from the US:

Was this result anticipated by polls or expected? I thought the Torries and Boris had pretty solid control due to your own insane boomer bloc?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's council elections, not the main national legislative body (unless you're in NI)

And the tories have been slipping in the polls because boris is an idiot who can't stop getting caught being one, tories can't go five minutes without collapsing under a pile of their own filth and that does generally translate to temporary reduction in polling in the goldfish brained electorate.

The main funny bit is that labour are doing a piss poor job of actually capitalizing on those tory losses, as the votes are largely going everywhere but them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It was predicted the Tories would lose seats, but by how much and who would get the vote instead not predictable to any good accuracy.
Due to how wide the different areas are in politics. You would have to do much much more polling which doesn't usually happen for these.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
My grandad was an Irish Presbyterian Royal Marine, plus an alcoholic and an abuser, so I'm pretty loving glad I never got to meet him. The first thing he ever said to my mum when he met her was "you're not a loving Catholic are you?". Lovely person.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

i'm reading the starmer project just now and it's very detailed but also full of a lot of names and bodies that i wasn't previously aware of so i'm trying not to take all of it at face value. it is giving me a clearer idea of the guy though - although that idea is basically in line with what i had already gleaned from general discussion and observation.

i'm just reading the bit where he was undermining corbyn while being part of his shadow cabinet and it's making me want a book about that with more of a focus on the media involvement. is there a good shortish book on that subject anyone can recommend?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tarnop posted:

Plenty of new council budgets for them to slash for austerity 2.0

makes an interesting dynamic now that all the poor as poo poo councils led to tory mps getting into power are now firmly back into labours orbit, which means that defunding them further will probably just make local people hate their mp again, but this time it’s a tory mp in the way of public opprobrium

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

TulliusCicero posted:

As someone from the US:

Was this result anticipated by polls or expected? I thought the Torries and Boris had pretty solid control due to your own insane boomer bloc?

The Tories have lurched into insane territory to get the extreme edge cases on board whilst taking their traditional supporters for granted. So they are tied into really stupid ideas and their mainstream supporters think they've lost it. In the UK local elections are the time for people to ignore party affiliation and protest vote.

Unfortunately the labour party are at least equally dysfunctional but with a smaller share of the vote so the Tories will continue to rule unopposed until something changes drastically.

The two party system falls on it's arse when both main parties meltdown simultaneously. Ordinarily when one goes nuts they get toppled by other.

A failed state.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The media spent the last six months hammering the Tories over the parties and loudly predicting (read: demanding) that This is It, Labour will Now Sweep It and Boris Must Resign, because Boris is a complete embarrassment that the media is solely responsible for. Except that the past few years of indoctrinating the thumb crowd into backing Boris in the face of all reality aren't so easy to undo, and Labour are so useless that nobody wanted to vote for them, so here we are. And now elections are past, they've taken their thumb off the scale and they're done giving Keith an easy ride, so the beer story lurches back into view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2022-05-06/no-dup-executive-return-until-ni-protocol-issues-resolved-donaldson-confirms

Big Jeffery already saying there won't an Assembly in NI.
Having Rees Mogg take over NI not sounding so bad after all lol.

i'm not sure this will work out as he intends: literally everyone is either suffering or knows someone who is as a result of the health service being close to total collapse