Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Everyone is confusing calories = nutrition, and thinking that skinny = healthy.

there are also others that hear people say "it's bad to be morbidly obese" and interpret "i can't believe they think starved dachau victims were the pinnacle of human nutrition"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

this but all loving meat lol

hamburger is absurd and i haven't bought bacon in two years

I am doomed when suburban moms discover lentils

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Victory Position posted:

Stock up now. Get mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and fill your cabinets to the brim. Prices only going up from here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
here’s a lentil for ya *chops my dick, balls, and head off with a chainsaw*

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Victory Position posted:

They already have, you can find them at trader joe's now for about 5x the price as ethnic stores.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they've also discovered mangos which is why they always sell those garbage tier south american mangos

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the industrial food economy existed in the 20s and 30s, people weren’t eating gruel and potatoes 3 meals a day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they've also discovered mangos which is why they always sell those garbage tier south american mangos

It’s the Tommy Atkins diet.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

i used to eat at the nutty brown cafe, kinda gross name

delicious ale

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Peak Male

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Wasn't the average military aged man/recruit like badly malnourished by WWII? That article that got posted pointed out that in WWI American soldiers took their white bread rations as a point of pride compared to other soldiers getting brown bread which lol

Pellagra was a thing for a while because people were coming down with massive B3 deficiencies from their all corn diet

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Victory Position posted:

the one good thing is that suburban moms will never go to the Mexican grocery store

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
i made homemade cashew butter today and it's real good

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

just stocked up on green lentils since whole foods had em on sale for $8/kg :hellyeah:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lord of Pie posted:

Pellagra was a thing for a while because people were coming down with massive B3 deficiencies from their all corn diet

Nixtamalization

I just wanted to say that. It’s a good word.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

Nixtamalization

I just wanted to say that. It’s a good word.

genuinely very funny that there were literal centuries where non-native people were like, "too good" or some poo poo to do nixtamalization

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Was it really that or did they just not figure it out? It seems like a counter-intuitive thing to do.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

hmm let me just put some rocks in here with my corn, this is probably good for me

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grevling posted:

Was it really that or did they just not figure it out? It seems like a counter-intuitive thing to do.

they knew the mexican native groups e.g. nahua did it (note that the word itself looks pretty nahua) but it was dismissed by non-native groups as just a superstitious ritual rather than y'know chemically significant

this is p funny to me because its kind of hard to imagine any use of calcium hydroxide that isn't chemically significant, plus europeans knew how to like make pretzels and traditional european laundry is done with ash so they knew that caustic solutions can do some poo poo

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Tulip posted:

they knew the mexican native groups e.g. nahua did it (note that the word itself looks pretty nahua) but it was dismissed by non-native groups as just a superstitious ritual rather than y'know chemically significant

this is p funny to me because its kind of hard to imagine any use of calcium hydroxide that isn't chemically significant, plus europeans knew how to like make pretzels and traditional european laundry is done with ash so they knew that caustic solutions can do some poo poo

That's really funny. "Here's an amazing new crop that you all need to adopt. You know, the people we got it from have something they always do before cooking it but you should just go ahead and skip that."

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

gonna nut my seed oil over your dad

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bitmap posted:

gonna nut my seed oil over your dad

https://nitter.net/reallytanman/status/1523125149456760832#m

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/typesfast/status/1536377296486993920?s=20&t=sR9hMLkAMzFiPVG3leLIbA

damning evidence of how much healthier we were pre seed oil

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

guy in the middle looking a little anemic though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

damning evidence of how much healthier we were pre seed oil

if you look closely you'll see they're all olympians

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Are olives considered nuts or seeds?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
i've already nutted, but now i'm having some trouble oiling up the guys. any advice?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

olives aren't meat so they are seeds

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pecans have meat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

olives aren't meat so they are seeds

“Olive oil is the only commercially sold oil that comes from pressing fruit rather than seeds (such as safflower, peanut, canola, soy) or tree nuts (such as walnuts and almonds). The olive fruit is a drupe (flesh that surrounds a seed, it is a stone fruit like cherries, peaches and plums).

Seed oils are vegetable oils obtained from the seed (endosperm) of some plants, rather than the fruit (pericarp). Most vegetable oils are seed oils. Examples are sunflower, corn, and sesame oils.”

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dudes be eating rapeseed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

pecans have meat

almond meat

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Meat's nuts

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

hifi posted:

dudes be eating rapeseed

That the rapeseed industry was able to rebrand to canola is still one of the greatest failures of western society

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TeenageArchipelago posted:

That the rapeseed industry was able to rebrand to canola is still one of the greatest failures of western society

I think that pendulum is swinging the other way, maybe people know canola is bad now. this is oatly:

…maybe culture war backlash??

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://nitter.net/jdcmedlock/status/1536772502025687040#m

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

mawarannahr posted:

I think that pendulum is swinging the other way, maybe people know canola is bad now. this is oatly:

I do not think “oatly” is participating in “culture war backlash” lol. canola oil is for poors.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Smythe posted:

I do not think “oatly” is participating in “culture war backlash” lol. canola oil is for poors.

the latter was a joke, but I did wonder about the low erucic rapeseed oil thing which I never saw before and I can only think it’s marketing bs to make canola oil sound better, which is funny because canola was coined to make rapeseed oil sound better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

no one reads nitter links

https://twitter.com/jdcmedlock/status/1536772502025687040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

mawarannahr posted:

is canola bad if you don’t have a right wing coded eating disorder? asking for a friend