Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You can mark that you only ship domestically if that is plausible for you

I do that already -- but I've run into the issue of shipping nearby vs. the opposite coast -- and the difference is significant! I guess the best approach is just to split the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

syntaxfunction posted:

I made music with my late friend who played almost exclusively in non standard tunings. She would pretty much tune to something random (or from a SY or MBV tab basically) and I'd play in standard or Drop-D almost all the time. It's an interesting situation but it can make amazing harmonies.

At the core of it I honestly just tried to pick out the core of the chord boiled down into major, minor or suspended. I had a hard time because she didn't know any theory at all so I had to decipher the chords from the fretting and tuning.

It can be fun to play the exact chord as they're playing but I often tried to find complimentary chords. A weird Am7sus4 gets simplified to a basic bitch Am. Or Am7. Either way, it creates some pleasant harmonies to emphasise certain notes and accents in the full chord. Or if they're playing a sus2 go for a sus4 or whatever. Utilise the contrast, basically, is my suggestion.

thanks for this. i think it should be pretty good, because usually my other jam partner is on the cowboy chords, so i usually have to find some triads up the neck or something to create a 2nd part. But if my jam partner is in a different tuning, then i don't have to stay away from any specific chord voicings, i can do whatever i want.

Cheese Thief posted:

Not with other people, but drop 'something' the low E string has helped me a lot with jamming the scales. You could drop the bottom 3 strings and make them just bass notes, and play melodies on the top 3 strings, ideally keeping those standard so the muscle memory transfers over to whichever you choose while keeping the bass strings mostly open.

gonna keep this idea in my back pocket too

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

hot drat, the schecter pt has gone up $100 since I bought one last year
what is with instrument prices

That’s a good point. Have used guitars gone up like with everything else over the last two years?

All the used stuff locally seems pretty close to new which tips me towards buying new even though I’d prefer used.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

That’s a good point. Have used guitars gone up like with everything else over the last two years?

All the used stuff locally seems pretty close to new which tips me towards buying new even though I’d prefer used.

Yep, it’s pretty much price increases across the board. Reverb was trending that way before, and now I just don’t bother. I’ve seen a few deals and there locally, but the most reliable source has been Guitar Center’s used section. They take awful pictures, but they don’t hassle you at all with returns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ordered some new effects pedals today:
Rowin Guitar Noise Killer Noise Gate Suppressor Effect Pedal LEF-319: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IV0CX7S
TC Electronic EYEMASTER METAL DISTORTIONL: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YM4JFX
JHS Pedals 3 Series Screamer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XJ2TY3N

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The eyemaster sounds like poo poo. It’s a Boss HM-2 clone but just worse in every way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

deedee megadoodoo posted:

The eyemaster sounds like poo poo. It’s a Boss HM-2 clone but just worse in every way.

Noooooo :negative: I went and looked up Youtube videos to compare them and you are right. I can cancel this one I think. I should have researched that one a bit better.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

the pink Behringer HM-2 knock off is the one to get.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I said come in! posted:

Noooooo :negative: I went and looked up Youtube videos to compare them and you are right. I can cancel this one I think. I should have researched that one a bit better.

My post was a bit harsh. It’s fine for a one trick pony. The HM2 is way more tweakable and I think the chainsaw is better. I used a DOD Death Metal pedal for a long time, which is also a worse HM2 clone. The main problem I have with both of those pedals is the amount of noise they introduce into your signal so you’re going to need a noise gate.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

"lovely HM2" is a sound I have a use for all the time tho, and for 45 bux you can't go wrong

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

New string day on the classical is always fun. Actually I changed them a couple evenings ago, but they finally held a tune this morning. Somehow always increases my motivation to play, things just seem so much more responsive and easy to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My post was a bit harsh. It’s fine for a one trick pony. The HM2 is way more tweakable and I think the chainsaw is better. I used a DOD Death Metal pedal for a long time, which is also a worse HM2 clone. The main problem I have with both of those pedals is the amount of noise they introduce into your signal so you’re going to need a noise gate.

Thankfully I have a noise gate coming too. :p I appreciate the suggestions!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Thankfully I have a noise gate coming too. :p I appreciate the suggestions!

I hope you love it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Malaria posted:

the pink Behringer HM-2 knock off is the one to get.

This is the right answer. It's just close enough to not be distinguishable unless you A/B them

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think jhs did an episode on behringer a couple years back where he A-B'ed some of them with what they're based on and I think the HM was shockingly close, while some others were like "this is obviously inspired by whatever, but there are differences." I think it was the super fuzz that was just a perfect spot-on repro of the fz2 where you couldn't even hear the switch.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

boutta go get some new strings and try to get the telecaster back in order. jazz has made me really really enjoy playing clean, and i think my strat neck pickup + tele neck pickup or middle position could be pretty sick.

plus i can try interplaying the two bridge pickups dirty as hell

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's funny, i used to play mostly overdriven due to the music I tend to listen to but as I've gotten older, I do love a good clean tone. A nice fender tone, a little reverb and/or delay

It also forces me out of my comfort zone to play different styles that cater to clean sounds. I've been enjoying playing more 50s Motown type stuff ever since I bought my gretsch. What I've always thought were relatively easy chord based songs are actually pretty tricky. Nothing like opening a tab and seeing 12 different chords, some of which I have to look up due to unfamiliarity. It seems like old school guitarists really used a full suite of chords and variations. And when the Motown sound started to meld into soul/funk poo poo gets crazy hard as the chords change so much faster and the rhythms more interesting.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

playing jazz has really changed my style and made me confront some stuff and it’s all great now.

like, i’d always try to write with power chords or triads before and i never found anything really harmonically inspiring. now i experiment with 7s and 9s and stuff and it’s easier to find interesting colors that get my ears excited.

my style has changed a little bit because it’s less ambitious to be weezery, distorted power chords, but now it’s more like “as distorted as i can make jazz chords without them being muddy”, and i usually play with a weird strumming pattern.

i think it’s me kind of trying to write a whole arrangement at once unwittingly — adding more melodic movement to chord progressions with changing extensions, and creating a drum part by playing a right hand rhythm that creates more of a pulse. kind of bummed that it’s so hard to write something in other ways, or with less cooked guitar parts, but so far i like the results i’m getting

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

and i think i probably write weirder chord progressions than are in most pop music, if only because i pretty freely use the iii and vii chords.

it’ll all probably change at some point and i’m fine with that but i always want chord progressions to feel melodic. i think that’s the thing i’ve been missing. before i learned about circle progressions and the specific effect that the descending fifth/ascending fourth has, i was mostly just using stock progressions or i thought the more fifths the better, for some reason. now it’s completely changed and i’m finding harmony i like, then moving where my ears want me to, until i reach the end of the section, just because constant musical motion is really exciting to me. especially since i typically write about really static topics— one feeling or subject is overwhelming me when i write, usually, so i have to counter that with music that constantly moves and is very careful about when it reaches its climaxes and when it relieves its tension.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Out of curiosity, have you ever looked into shoegaze or dream pop type stuff?

I was really into punk/pop punk/classic rock/light metal etc growing up which is why I have a taste for od/gain but as an adult I started getting into more ambient stuff. I don't know why it wasn't on my radar before because it's pretty neat what you can find, tone and melody wise. Guitar wise, shoegaze/dream pop a pretty open ended genre with stuff ranging from super clean guitars to really fuzzy, effects heavy stuff but I find it's rarely straight major chords. Some songs and groups have more edge while others are very light and ethereal.

I've only just started getting into it but it's fun to try something new. Oh god now I've opened a door to a new guitar need, a jazzmaster.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Verman posted:

Out of curiosity, have you ever looked into shoegaze or dream pop type stuff?

I was really into punk/pop punk/classic rock/light metal etc growing up which is why I have a taste for od/gain but as an adult I started getting into more ambient stuff. I don't know why it wasn't on my radar before because it's pretty neat what you can find, tone and melody wise. Guitar wise, shoegaze/dream pop a pretty open ended genre with stuff ranging from super clean guitars to really fuzzy, effects heavy stuff but I find it's rarely straight major chords. Some songs and groups have more edge while others are very light and ethereal.

I've only just started getting into it but it's fun to try something new. Oh god now I've opened a door to a new guitar need, a jazzmaster.

love shoegaze. i used to like dream pop but most of the dream pop acts i’ve heard aren’t super musical — melodies leave a lot to be desired

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Opened a support ticket with Mesa because the effects loop of my Mark V:35 causes enormous feedback and they asked for an audio clip of what it sounds like.

Dear Kris from Mesa: if you're reading this, I'm sorry about what I've inflicted upon your ears.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I didn't go out looking for another Strat, but this one is gunmetal and has the big headstock

Squier Vintage Modified HSS, ~2012, with a rosewood fretboard, which apparently makes people pay a shitload used for them? Guitar, Gator nylon/foam case, Snark tuner, and a Levy's strap for $152. Fretboard needs a little oil, and it kind of needs a setup, but like most of the modern Squiers it is one damned nice guitar.

I also managed to snag one of the Firefly "GD90" Les Pauls, a gold top with two P90s, in their last drop. BUT as usual it took them a week to actually ship, so I won't see it until Wednesday.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

widefault posted:

I didn't go out looking for another Strat, but this one is gunmetal and has the big headstock

drat. That's a really good price for a vintage modified/classic vibe strat. I just sold my vintage modified thinline telecaster for $50 (400) less than I bought it new ... 3 years ago (450). I had a few offers for 200 but at that price I was just going to keep it.

The case alone is almost worth that price.

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 7, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
shoegaze huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9P9Rc9VTHA

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

widefault posted:

Squier Vintage Modified HSS, ~2012, with a rosewood fretboard, which apparently makes people pay a shitload used for them? Guitar, Gator nylon/foam case, Snark tuner, and a Levy's strap for $152. Fretboard needs a little oil, and it kind of needs a setup, but like most of the modern Squiers it is one damned nice guitar.

I also managed to snag one of the Firefly "GD90" Les Pauls, a gold top with two P90s, in their last drop. BUT as usual it took them a week to actually ship, so I won't see it until Wednesday.

Hey Squier buddy :hf:

I just bought this home today...

Tired about 9 different guitars from four different shops today but settled on the Tele. Just ticked all the boxes.

Also, when did mini pedals become a thing? The shop I got it from had a heap and they are adorable!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You’ve done well, Red_Fred. That is one mean Tele. Mini pedals are adorable and a bit addictive too. They’ve been a thing for a while, but it seems like now there are even more pretty cheap and good ones.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I remember buying my HM-2 (MiT) from eBay in 2008 because I read in an old blog that Slowdive used HM-2 for their shoe gaze sound, because it has better bass control.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm trying to buy a pedalboard and power supply from thomann and shipping is loving $75 on a $160 order. Uhhh anybody in the greater Philadelphia area want to buy a Harley Benton or something and go halvsies on shipping?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm trying to buy a pedalboard and power supply from thomann and shipping is loving $75 on a $160 order. Uhhh anybody in the greater Philadelphia area want to buy a Harley Benton or something and go halvsies on shipping?

Maybe these two new arrivals will tempt somone:

https://www.gearnews.com/harley-benton-fusion-iii-emg-ht-roasted-stealth-black-shredders/

24 frets, roasted maple necks, contoured heel, active EMGs.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I want that Tele and I’m near Philly. poo poo. Let me think on it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just checked and shipping is actually a dollar less after adding that guitar on. Unless there's some tax or something hidden it would be $434.74 shipped.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Roasted maple looks nice to me.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thanks for this. i think it should be pretty good, because usually my other jam partner is on the cowboy chords, so i usually have to find some triads up the neck or something to create a 2nd part. But if my jam partner is in a different tuning, then i don't have to stay away from any specific chord voicings, i can do whatever i want.

Long time listener, first(ish) time poster itt

Wanted to talk about that last idea here, I'd argue it's more important to know your voicings inside and out if someone's playing in alt tunings. Ultimately I don't want to tell you what you *have* to do but your ear training is going to be the most important thing. Some voicings may just not work with the specific chord they're playing, and that's the way it goes.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I can't get enough JOYO gear. They make a lot of poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i want that goddamn HB telecaster. what a cool guitar.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I had some time to kill before the Godsspeed You! Black Emperor show on Thursday, so wandered into a music store and they had a baritone Cabronita Tele with P90s. I foolishly asked them to plug it in for me, and now I think I have to get one.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Can the op be updated now the poster has been banned? Seems like Harley Benton ought to be listed under budget brands there.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
hmm. we should probably ask an admin if they can copy/paste the OP into the second post. OOOOOORRRRRRRR one of us can not be lazy and perhaps post a new thread and send this one to archives? IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean the second post is someone who hasn't posted in this thread in 8 years so maybe it'd be better to either start a new thread (boo, like 40% of my total posts over 17 years have been in this thread), or ask a mod to just edit the OP themselves.