Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Larryb posted:

How did you somehow watch Hunters (which Shoutmon also appears in) but not Xros Wars/Fusion?

Also Ghost Game is good and you should be watching it

What are you talking about, the post says i didnt watch hunters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Sorry whatever, adventure agumon is the one i saw, i assumed yall would get what i meant

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Gammamon still tries to eat phones. Guilmon would sniff first and not try to eat them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ghost Game is very good. It has a legit shot of overtaking Tamers as my favorite series.

I should really finish Appmon and Savers at some point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

What are you talking about, the post says i didnt watch hunters!

Oh I’m sorry, I got Guilmon and Veemon confused for a moment.

Nevermind that, but Xros Wars (or at least the first half) and Ghost Game are still worth a watch in my opinion though

Some Numbers posted:

Ghost Game is very good. It has a legit shot of overtaking Tamers as my favorite series.

I should really finish Appmon and Savers at some point.

You should, they’re both really good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I respect your opinion but after getting bored of adventure 2020 halfway in, ive made peace that im just not into digimon tv anymore and thats fine

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Digimon games tho, still excited for so ya know, lets go survive

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I respect your opinion but after getting bored of adventure 2020 halfway in, ive made peace that im just not into digimon tv anymore and thats fine

Adventure 2020 was extremely bad, so this is a very weird take.

Ghost is easily a top 3 Digimon series so far.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wouldn't take Adventure: as an example of you getting bored of Digimon. We all disliked that show, and rightfully so, because it was terrible. Give Ghost Game a try, I assure you, it's a lot better. Or hell, go back to older shows, you'll see that Adventure: is just a bad series and not proof of anything for the wider franchise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Adventure 2020 is the exception when it comes to the Digimon anime, not the rule (though Frontier wasn’t great either in my opinion). At least give the others a fair shot rather than dismissing them entirely

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Adventure 2020 was extremely bad, so this is a very weird take.

Ghost is easily a top 3 Digimon series so far.

Yeah actually i realized after the fact saying digimon tv in specific was dumb. I dont like shonen anime anymore, adventure 2020 is just where i realized it.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Digimon games tho, still excited for so ya know, lets go survive

Can't fool me, I know that game is dead, that was clearly a late april fool joke. I won't believe it's actually coming until I'm playing it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

we have new Ghost Game episode summaries:

Episode 25- Crimson Banquet (May 15)
Using crimson as its image color, the comprehensive brand "Esse Vu" has rapidly gained popularity for its accessories, clothing, sweets, and so on. However, the CEO of this company, a man named "Kyogoku Aviel" is actually a vampiric Digimon named Vamdemon. Esse Vu was the "bloodsucking tower" homebase of Vamdemon's, with the purpose of gathering beautiful women influencers to suck their blood and manipulate them through his bats. Ruli Tsukiyono, invited to Esse Vu's headquarters as a popular influencer, discovers this fact. While Ruli evades having her blood sucked, she manages to escape to the roof. Hiro Amanokawa and the gang enter Esse Vu's headquarters to save Ruli when they are attacked by Vamdemon.

Episode 26- Hungry House (May 22)
One day, Angoramon reunites with Digitamamon, who was his best friend in the Digital World. Digitamamon tells him that he lives alone in an empty house. Angoramon immediately brings Ruli with him to visit. At first, the conversation is friendly, but Digitamamon's behavior gradually turns strange. Meanwhile, Hiro and the gang learn of an eerie rumor about the vacant house where Digitamamon lives.

Episode 27- Essence of Beauty (May 29)
While looking up urban legends on the internet, Hiro comes upon a post titled "Called by Water." It is said that the sound of water dripping is heard, as though beckoning a person, and people who have been "called by water" several times have disappeared without a trace. This event gradually grows more frequent, until Niijima, the caretaker of Hiro's dormitory, is "called by water." Hiro and Gammamon, who are there when it happens, see Splashmon turn Niijima into a ball of water. They chase after Splashmon, who can move freely through the water supply, in order to save Niijima, but...?!

Episode 28- Face-Snatcher (June 5)
Hiro and the gang, concerned that their classmate Kotaro Nomura has been holed up in his dorm for several days, go to check on him. They find Kotaro languishing in darkness in his room, wearing a mask that covers his face from the nose up. The bottom half beneath that mask was a featureless face. It was Ashuramon, a grotesque-looking Digimon, who was attacking people and taking their faces. Ashuramon wears the faces it steals like a mask, in order to taste human emotion. Its evil actions escalate, and as its victims grow weaker and weaker, Ruli and Kiyoshiro Higashimitarai also fall prey.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Here I thought Phelesmon was meant as the Vamdemon stand-in, but now we have the man himself.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

King of Solomon posted:

It helps to have an idea what you want to build. We can give advice once you know what you're trying to do.

Well, mechanically my issues with the starter decks have been a general lack of ability to keep my opponent from just hitting security one or more times per turn (and when I do get a blocker it just gets rested before it can block anything). And for a purple deck and a blue deck that wanted a lot of cards in grave/hand, I never can get enough to qualify. Me and my friend both play pretty conservatively with memory though.

My favorite digimon is wizardmon and I might like a purple and/or yellow deck but not sure. (I like green but my friend is doing green so more efficient to be different). But I like other things too, could do something in black for machines or something with vdramons.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Golux posted:

Well, mechanically my issues with the starter decks have been a general lack of ability to keep my opponent from just hitting security one or more times per turn (and when I do get a blocker it just gets rested before it can block anything). And for a purple deck and a blue deck that wanted a lot of cards in grave/hand, I never can get enough to qualify. Me and my friend both play pretty conservatively with memory though.

My favorite digimon is wizardmon and I might like a purple and/or yellow deck but not sure. (I like green but my friend is doing green so more efficient to be different). But I like other things too, could do something in black for machines or something with vdramons.

There’s two or three decks that would use Wizardmon at the moment. One is the Mastemon starter deck, which uses a vanilla Yellow/Purple Wizardmon that probably will be removed for a card with an effect. One is in Dynasmon, in Yellow, that isn’t meta in any sense but gets cool effects when you burn your own Security for value. The last one won’t be available in English anytime soon and will cost a pretty penny, which is the Beelzemon deck that self-mills for value.

Mastemon and Beelzemon are going to be more powerful and more widely played, Dynasmon should probably be cheaper with one or two cards like TK that will cost a bit more

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dynasmon sees play as a 1-2 of in yellow Hybrid decks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Keep in mind that prerelease for the next set is in two weeks. The current meta is about to be shaken up quite a bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ghost Game learned the best lesson from all other digimon shows in that they made the main character partner digimon one of the cutie pie baby digimon.

Augumon, horrible and ugly
Veemon too competent and there to be that childish
Guilmon is just a dog but a lizard.

Gammamon? That's a sweet baby.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't know we had the writer for the Xros Wars dub here

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Augumon is moe Agumon

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Other tcg question that just came up: can a digimon who has security attack - reducing its security attack to 0, can it attack to win game if opponent has no security cards left?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Golux posted:

Other tcg question that just came up: can a digimon who has security attack - reducing its security attack to 0, can it attack to win game if opponent has no security cards left?

No

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Golux posted:

Nope, gotta check at least one security to successfully attack directly for game. You also can't win the game off a Pierce hit, or off of having more Security Attack than your opponent has cards left.

Also this just dropped:

https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1522773212609728512

quote:

Tactimon
[On Play] You may play two Lv.4 or lower 'Bagra Army' Digimon from your Trash at no cost. They gain <Blocker> until your opponent's next turn end.
[Opponent's Turn] When an effect trashes your other Digimon's evo sources, you may trash this Digimon's evo sources instead.

That on play ability is not super impressive given that playing a full 13 memory card like this is probably a losing proposition, and evolving for 4 for no immediate value doesn't feel great, but the Bagra army strategy seems to be based around deliberately deleting your own evolution sources for various effects so being able to use Tactimon's as a reserve makes a little bit of sense. More interestingly, the fact Tactimon made it in suggests we might also be getting new cards for the other two generals. It certainly explains the presence of Golemon and Gogmamon in the set, the card game already used them a while back to be the evolutionary line for Blastmon, and there is another Level 6 Black Digimon left to be revealed.

It also means that there are now only two more slots for Purple Level 6s, Mervamon is almost guaranteed for one of them and if Lilithmon is in the other one that means that Bagramon is probably going to end up being a Secret Rare. The alternative is if Mervamon changes colors from Minervamon and ends up being a black/purple card because there is hypothetically a slot left after Dark Knightmon X

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 7, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
There's a new Blastmon too, so Lilithmon is almost guaranteed.

Translation posted:

Blastmon BT10-070 U
Mega | Vaccine | Mineral / Bagra Army

<Rush>

[On Play] If this Digimon has 3 digivolution cards, <Blitz>.

[Opponent's Turn] (Once per turn) When your opponent's digimon attacks, by trashing 1 of this Digimon's digivolution cards, delete 1 of your opponent's level 4 or lower Digimon.

I'm thinking Yuu will have an effect to place sources under digimon, otherwise Blastmon's on play is impossible to trigger.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blastmon! Hero to children everywhere!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

King of Solomon posted:

There's a new Blastmon too, so Lilithmon is almost guaranteed.

Yep, dropped the morning after my post! Wouldn't be surprised if Lilithmon is tonight.

And Blastmon very transparently tells us we're missing a piece to how Bagra Army plays, and you're almost certainly right that Yu somehow lets you add sources to things, maybe he just inherently gives Bagra Digimon a Digixros? Blastmon seems like he'd play way better if you could play him for cheaper using the Bagra Digimon materials that grant memory when you trash them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

GulusGammamon
Champion | Virus | Dragonkin

[Digivolve: 2 from [Gammamon]]
[All Turns] When this Digimon has a Digimon with [Gammamon] in its name in its digivolution cards, this Digimon gains <Retaliation>.

[On Deletion] You may play 1 [Gammamon] from your trash suspended without paying its memory cost.

It’s the final Gammamon! Retaliation is a keyword that means when your Digimon dies by combat, it takes the other guy with it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This week's episode was indeed a clip show, and one that really only covered episodes 2 and 4 if there weren't enough indication that this was hastily thrown together in wake of that hacking fucker. The narrator was fun for the couple of shots he was in, but the rest of it was repeated footage and on the whole it was shoddy even by the standards of unnecessary clip shows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Next week looks pretty good though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

quote:

Brachiomon
Ultimate/Data/Longneck

quote:

DemiMeramon
In-Training | Flame

Inherited: [Your Turn] While a non-red card is in this Digimon's digivolution cards, it gets +1000 DP.

quote:

Cherrymon
Ultimate | Virus | Vegetation

<Digisorption -2>
[Opponent's turn] (Once per turn) When your opponent's Digimon attacks, you may switch the target of the attack to one of your suspended Digimon.
I'm so happy about Cherrymon. This is the sort of defensive card green needs, especially given Shivamon and Bloomlordmon. Plus, searchable off Palmon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

They also just revealed another Ultimate for Pulsemon and gave an option for it:

https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1523588592584560640

quote:

Achillesmon
Mega | Virus | Beast Man-Type
[On Evolve] If your Security is 2 or less, <Recovery +1 (Deck)>.
[On Attack] (1/Turn) If your Security is 3 or more, give 1 opposing Digimon -5000 DP for the turn. If your Security is 3 or less, Memory +2.

quote:

Lónkhē Adistakto
While you control a 'Pulsemon' or a Digimon with 'Pulsemon' in its evo source, this card can be used ignoring colour restrictions.
[Main] If your Security is 3 or more, give 1 opposing Digimon -12,000 DP for the turn. If your Security is 3 or less, place 1 opposing Digimon face-down on top of their Security.
<Security> Activate [Main].

There's definitely a lot of tools here to make an interesting Green/Yellow deck out of some combination of the different Pulsemon lines and the plant/fairy tribal support that Bloom Lordmon is pitching. The latter also appreciates the new Tinkermon and being able to use the BT5 Cutemon who are both Fairies Ajatarmon can play out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You can make a green/yellow Pulsemon deck but at the moment I’m not enthusiastic about it. Yellow’s focus on being at three security and Green’s focus on suspending don’t really synergize that well at the moment

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Taking another stab at it, is a Diaboromon/armagemon deck any good? I like that line too. Alternately, anything good to be done with Hybrids?

(I mean, I like a lot of things)

Anyway, aside from specific digimon lines, do you have any advice on what's a healthy distribution of digimon of different levels, tamers, and options in a deck? I'm not convinced that the starters have enough tamers or options or that their level balance is healthy, but I'm not great at analyzing it and I want to know if swapping one-for-one or using them as example ratios is healthy at all.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Diaboromon/Armageddemon decks are a popular rogue deck but they can be incredibly expensive because their finisher is a promo card from launch that few people had a chance to obtain.

For Hybrid decks, the answer is “yes”. Hybrids are incredibly powerful at the moment, and while they’ll lose some power as more answers to Tamers get printed they’re still good: the current best is Blue Hybrids focusing on Tommy but stuns are going to get a pretty bug nerf with DNA Digivolving rules (the evolved Digimon is treated as a new Digimon that doesn’t retain the stun effect). Yellow Hybrids are very powerful and are a go-to for grindy strategies.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Golux posted:

Taking another stab at it, is a Diaboromon/armagemon deck any good? I like that line too. Alternately, anything good to be done with Hybrids?

(I mean, I like a lot of things)

Anyway, aside from specific digimon lines, do you have any advice on what's a healthy distribution of digimon of different levels, tamers, and options in a deck? I'm not convinced that the starters have enough tamers or options or that their level balance is healthy, but I'm not great at analyzing it and I want to know if swapping one-for-one or using them as example ratios is healthy at all.

Re:Diablomon, it's a very popular rogue-tier deck that's a lot of fun but also has the problem of a fairly low ceiling. Under ideal situations you can cause a lot of damage and do cool plays and disrupt people and wreck up strategies, and furthermore the actual stats of the tokens give them some very strange protections, but at the same time the deck is nowhere near consistent and has a bad tendency to brick in strange ways. Even with the pricey promo there's a good chance the deck just dies, and there are plenty of forms of interaction that utterly ruin it and sadly they are very common.

Re: Hybrids: they currently dominate the meta. Currently the best deck in the format is Blue Hybrids helmed by Tomoki which is both monstrously fast and capable of locking down boards to prevent opposition, followed by Yellow Hybrids helmed by Izumi which is an extremely grindy control deck that kills everything on the field and then slowly picks away at you while it cancels damage dealt with recovery effects. Less impressive but still formidable are Red Hybrids with Takuya which can throw some insane burst damage out of the blue and Green Hybrids with Junpei whose standard strategy is to evolve to Ultimate in a single turn and force your opponent to deal with it. Finally there is Purple Hybrids with Kouichi, which is also basically a Cherubimon Vice/Lucemon deck that functions by repeatedly killing and reviving cards over and over again. It won't set the world on fire but it has some powerful plays and it's a lot of fun as well.

If you're wondering, there are no Black Hybrid decks, Black has a few Hybrids but there are no dedicated Tamers to evolve and the ones they have (the Earth ones) are little bit underwhelming. Grottomon is still good because Hybrids are just good to have in basically any given deck, but there isn't a way to do a dedicated Hybrid deck in Black. And if you're wondering about Kouji, he's also in Blue and he can do cool things but the optimized lists tend not to play him because Tomoki is just better than him. If nothing else it's kind of nice that the other Frontier characters are seeing a lot of representation.

As for distribution: the "standard" distribution is usually something like 12/10/8/6 for levels 3/4/5/6 with possibly two or three level 7's and the rest being Tamers and Options. Conventional wisdom is you want 2 to 3 Memory Tamers, about 2 no-frills kill spells (i.e. Gaia Force), and the rest being things that support your deck (a couple of Memory Boost Options are usually a good idea). Most decks will also run a Hybrid or two even if they aren't properly a "Hybrid Deck" because the potential to turn a Tamer into an attack close out the game is quite strong.

Honestly though, it does depend a little bit on the deck. For instance, plenty of decks will run 14 or 16 level 3's, plenty of decks will also only run four copies of a single level 6, Mugendramon decks frequently have about as many 5's as they do 3's because of how the title Digimon works, plenty of Purple decks have more options and fewer Digimon because Purple gets a lot of draw power and many other cards play explicitly around their Options, and Hybrid decks in general just have really weird distributions.

To go a little further into last bit, because Hybrids evolve from Tamers most of those decks just treat their Tamers as level 3 Digimon for the purposes of deck distribution. The current most popular Yellow hybrid build, for instance, runs purple eggs and something like 3 to 6 purple level 3's (almost purely to play Schwarz Lehrsatz because it's a monstrously strong card), 4 each of Fairymon, Shutumon, and Jet Silphymon, and a spread of about 4 level 6 Yellow Digimon, 2 Susanoomon, and then everything else is a Tamer or an Option. Most run a couple of copies of Bokomon, plenty play Rise Greymon, and some go up on Level 6s and a little bit down on Options, but standard play is for the deck to have something like 12+ Tamers and 16+ options.

Also this dropped as I was writing this up:

https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1523860381902417921

quote:

Sunflowmon
Champion | Data | Plant-Type
[On Evolve] By suspending 1 of your Green Digimon, you may play a 'Plant' or 'Fairy'-Type Digimon with 3000 DP or less from your hand at no cost.
Inheritable: [Your Turn] (1/Turn) When your Digimon is suspended by an effect, 1 Draw.

More stuff for Bloom Lordmon.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Sunflowmon is everything that deck wants, it’s got the right stats and typline to get played by an effect, it suspends your green cards so you can power up BloomLordmon, and it gives you card draw so you don’t fall behind when you play your Digimon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

does anyone else feel like Palmon and Lalamon's evolutions look like they were switched around?

Like the obviously weren't, they're separated by nearly a decade, but like

They LOOK like it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Togemon's Perfect should be Blossomon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

does anyone else feel like Palmon and Lalamon's evolutions look like they were switched around?

Like the obviously weren't, they're separated by nearly a decade, but like

They LOOK like it

Nowadays they may as well be the same line. The Sunflowmon card posted here even references it - Tanemon, Palmon and Lalamon appear around Sunflowmon. Tanemon > Palmon (Adventure), Tanemon > Lalamon (Adventure:), Palmon > Sunflowmon (Vital Bracelet shorts) and Lalamon > Sunflowmon (Savers) are all canon evolutions, and of course, all can end in Rosemon (Adventure, Savers).