Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

um excuse me posted:

A 22 WSM is a hungry boi. Especially in freezing temps. I also never put on less than 30 pounds on. I added seals everywhere without much improvement. The R5 reflective foam insulation managed to raise my temps 15 degrees though which translates to less charcoal used.

Yeah, the 22 WSM eats an absolutely shocking amount of charcoal; 20 lbs for a brisket or multiple pork shoulders is not at all surprising. 30 seems a little high, but then again I often wound up finishing my stuff in the oven after an initial ~8-10 hour time on smoke in order to avoid adding more charcoal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

This is the way. I don't how a poster above is going through so much charcoal on a kettle, is the lid on??

The slow n sear is a must-buy accessory for kettle users. Makes it into a drat good smoker and is great for two zone cooking.

Is it that much better than the "bro'n'sear" or using the baskets with a charcoal "bridge?" I'm using a water pan regardless to catch the drippings ATM.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kalman posted:

Yeah, the 22 WSM eats an absolutely shocking amount of charcoal; 20 lbs for a brisket or multiple pork shoulders is not at all surprising. 30 seems a little high, but then again I often wound up finishing my stuff in the oven after an initial ~8-10 hour time on smoke in order to avoid adding more charcoal.

That' what my set up looks like in winter. Notice the cook time on this one was 17 hours.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 3, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

crondaily posted:

Is it that much better than the "bro'n'sear" or using the baskets with a charcoal "bridge?" I'm using a water pan regardless to catch the drippings ATM.

Probably not $99 better, but yes it is an upgrade from the baskets

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

crondaily posted:

I've wondered about this too since I had no problem smoking with basket + water pan.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I had a lot of trouble keeping temps low and stable with baskets and a water pan. Slow N Sear makes it very very easy. Also sears like a monster.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PSA: Don't put your Char-Griller Gravity 980 hopper into the hopper assembly facing the wrong direction. It fits perfectly and there's no indication that it's wrong. The air flow slots should face towards the grill and not towards the fan.

:(

Damaged my hopper and hopper assembly. Seems both will still work, but really bummed I hosed up a new grill.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Almost grabbed an 18” WSM for $100! I was ready to go pick it up and the guy texts me that he just sold it. SON OF A BITCH THIS ONE STINGS!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Almost grabbed an 18” WSM for $100! I was ready to go pick it up and the guy texts me that he just sold it. SON OF A BITCH THIS ONE STINGS!

Imo the 18” is too small and the 22” is the minimum. Fitting a whole brisket in the 22” is a challenge. I can’t imagine it’s possible without splitting on an 18”

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

born on a buy you posted:

Imo the 18” is too small and the 22” is the minimum. Fitting a whole brisket in the 22” is a challenge. I can’t imagine it’s possible without splitting on an 18”

You definitely can get a brisket in the 18", the trick is to squeeze the ends between the handles on the grate.

A little more space would be nice sometimes, but the 18" is good enough for most casual cooks.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
From a previous post. This was a 14 pound brisket on a 22 WSM for context.

um excuse me posted:

Midnight pic when I started.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I can fit pretty decent sized pork shoulders on my 14 inch, and ribs are just a little bit too big. 18 should be fine for me.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be hanging some chicken halves over high heat in a wsm. Like this guy https://youtu.be/rRIOc4TL2bc

I read baking powder on wings helps the skin crisp up. Would it help for the hanging halves? If so, do I only want to cover the skin sides?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If it's high heat you probably don't need to worry about it. Poultry skin comes out rubbery when cooked over low heat, so baking powder in the rub helps there. If your heat is high enough you likely won't have that problem. And if you do, a few minutes on a hot grill or under a broiler will crisp it up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I bought $100 of beef ribs at Costco only to realized they're sliced. Across the bone. Like the thickness you slice a brisket. WTF? How can I salvage this? I didn't realize what I had done until I opened the packages. These will smoke much faster and therefore bark formation is under threat. I don't even know how long these will need.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think those are Korean cut. Make galbi.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

born on a buy you posted:

I buy ~12-13lb packers from Costco all the time and fit them into my 18" fine. That's with a little trimming of course but nothing crazy at all. Unless you're cooking for decent size groups, the 18" is great for the fuel efficiency. I'm usually doing 1 packer and 1-2 pork shoulders at a time, and then I'll throw on some sausage while the brisket is resting.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

um excuse me posted:

I bought $100 of beef ribs at Costco only to realized they're sliced. Across the bone. Like the thickness you slice a brisket. WTF? How can I salvage this? I didn't realize what I had done until I opened the packages. These will smoke much faster and therefore bark formation is under threat. I don't even know how long these will need.

Yep, those are for Korean "bbq" which is actually grilled hot and fast. LA-style galbi/kalbi (you'll find both spellings) is the move.

I know this isn't what you were planning on but "salvage" isn't a concern as long as you can get the marinade ingredients, galbi is loving delicious.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's a happy little accident for sure.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I should probably get the salt off them then, gently caress.

Anyone have a recipe they've used before?

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
If you want to stick with Korean style or get some ideas, https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/la-galbi is worth looking at. I haven't tried this particular recipe yet, but everything else I've tried from her was good. But even if you just did salt and pepper, it'd probably be great. Hard to go wrong with grilled short rib meat. This cut is especially nice if you like eating the chewy tendon around the bones.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is that a thing people like? Legit asking as I can’t do anything too fatty/chewy in my meat without a gag reflex kicking in. Never could do jello or whatever either for whatever reason.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I do, but I get why some wouldn't. Sometimes you get short ribs at Korean restaurants that are cut the other way like the pic, usually at nicer restaurants. Even with that, you might see the servers snipping off the tendon in to little nibblers onto the grill after the eaters are done with the meat.

woops sorry for the big rear end pic. I don't know how to detach it. I am getting old.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bastardInABasket fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 6, 2022

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Warbird posted:

Is that a thing people like? Legit asking as I can’t do anything too fatty/chewy in my meat without a gag reflex kicking in. Never could do jello or whatever either for whatever reason.

I like it in certain quantities. The cartilage off of a chicken wing for example, or like the tendon on galbi are cool. I probably wouldn't order like a big thing of tripe or tendon in my pho though.

Fatty stuff is obviously delicious when its cooked well and basically melts in your mouth, although if I eat a big piece of it I feel like I'm about to give myself a heart attack

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pro tip: when you’re using a temp controller that has a fan, you need to plug in the fan.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Borsche69 posted:

I like it in certain quantities. The cartilage off of a chicken wing for example, or like the tendon on galbi are cool. I probably wouldn't order like a big thing of tripe or tendon in my pho though.

Fatty stuff is obviously delicious when its cooked well and basically melts in your mouth, although if I eat a big piece of it I feel like I'm about to give myself a heart attack

More power to you my dude but the mental image of that made me want to start to gag. I have no idea why I’m like this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lighting the smoker was so nice, I decided to do it twice

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/2620726

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Warbird posted:

More power to you my dude but the mental image of that made me want to start to gag. I have no idea why I’m like this.

Its cool. I have my own textural hangups. I don't like anything mushy like eggplant or whatever for whatever reason.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

um excuse me posted:

I should probably get the salt off them then, gently caress.

Anyone have a recipe they've used before?

I use this recipe a ton: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/la-galbi-gui-grilled-la-style-short-ribs/

The only hard thing to find is a Korean pear. If you have a Korean market go there, or else just use bosc pears, it’ll be fine.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea bosc pears are what I used. My mother, who is gen zero Korean, manages to buy them by the carton. I have no idea where. Maybe a K-Mart?

Anyways the fact that I was not aware that this cut existed despite my background brings me great shame.

Guys, I bought so loving much.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I have the FireBoard 2 with the Drive and I use it on my Kamado Joe Classic. I’ve found that sometimes the Drive kicks in and it actually lowers the temp instead of raising it. It then continues to ramp up the speed to accommodate the dropping temp until it’s blowing 100% and drat near puts the fire out. Should I just limit the drive speed to a low percentage? Or should I forego the Drive and just let the Kamado do its thing?

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I have the FireBoard 2 with the Drive and I use it on my Kamado Joe Classic. I’ve found that sometimes the Drive kicks in and it actually lowers the temp instead of raising it. It then continues to ramp up the speed to accommodate the dropping temp until it’s blowing 100% and drat near puts the fire out. Should I just limit the drive speed to a low percentage? Or should I forego the Drive and just let the Kamado do its thing?

Just set a limit, try 50% and see if that works better for you. Fans lowering the temp the faster they go is unfortunate physics that makes automatic controllers struggle.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What fuel do you use? An excess amount of air means the fuel isn't turning it into heat. You need a fuel that is more volatile, more ready to burn. Any number of things could cause this. Bad or old coals, it just cheap coals with a bunch of nonflammable filler.

Without specifically knowing, I'd try a different fuel.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
You can absolutely freeze short ribs. (Pre-marination)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy flanken cut ribs in bulk and freeze them in smaller portions and I freeze marinade in appropriate portions so I can combine them and throw them on the grill.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

If this happened to me (BGE and Flame Boss 300) I would assume it was because I didn't get the charcoal lit well enough or if it was well into a cook it would mean I was running out of fuel.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Kalbi is finished. All 7 pounds of it.

Grill was so hot the grates caught fire every time I removed the beef. I burned all the hair off my hands flupping and removing them. I scaled the recipe I used up 4x. Salt did not scale well and ended up being a little strong. Plain rice and broccoli will accompany to balance the dish. Thought about doing a spicy caramel glaze, but decided against it this time around.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Man my Green Mountain Grills pellet is being a massive piece of poo poo today. Nonstop 30-40 F swings, and the temp is nowhere near the set point. (It's set at 185F and cycling between 210-250F every 15 minutes or so.)

Never had it be this bad before.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Just picked up an 18” WSM in excellent condition for $175 off Facebook Marketplace. Very excited to get to use this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Smoked a whole bird yesterday, ate half for dinner and turned the other half into chicken salad. Added some apple cider vinegar and hot sauce to it to make it more BBQy and holy poo poo I don't think I can go back to store-bought.