Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arivia posted:

i have to imagine google has intentionally hosed it up over the years to push people to android

“man this google app is a real piece of poo poo. I’m gonna switch to a whole phone designed by them instead”

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

“man this google app is a real piece of poo poo. I’m gonna switch to a whole phone designed by them instead”

worked for itunes

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FCKGW posted:

As if people still don't think that Androids are just Samsungs.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I know its been a couple years since I've been able to use it but Google Maps is loving amazing when it came to using it for transit in Japan- even telling me which side of the train platform to be on to make extra sure.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Google Maps is one of my most used search engine (I do GIS work so it gets used A LOT), but I use Waze for any navigation. I like Apple Maps aesthetic but don't ever use it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If it’s enabled for your city, CityMapper is fantastic for multimodal trip planning and doing. https://citymapper.com/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone moved from Strong to Hevy yet? I’m getting really sick of Strong given all the false promises from the dev and the pretty hefty price tag for it.

But I’m not sure Hevy has all the features yet, especially Watch related bits.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone moved from Strong to Hevy yet? I’m getting really sick of Strong given all the false promises from the dev and the pretty hefty price tag for it.

But I’m not sure Hevy has all the features yet, especially Watch related bits.

Ooo. Hadn't heard of Hevy but now I'm curious too.

I quite like Strong but does feel like the price tag doesn't match the current development effort

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

101 posted:

I quite like Strong but does feel like the price tag doesn't match the current development effort

Reddit (so take with a grain of salt) seem to think the dev has abandoned it. I would probably agree as back in 2020 there was talk about the upcoming redesign but all mentions of that have disappeared and it gets an update a couple of times a year despite heaps of bugs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Reddit (so take with a grain of salt) seem to think the dev has abandoned it. I would probably agree as back in 2020 there was talk about the upcoming redesign but all mentions of that have disappeared and it gets an update a couple of times a year despite heaps of bugs.

i mean in 2020 this big thing happened that ruined a lot of people's mental and/or physical health these past years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

doingitwrong posted:

If it’s enabled for your city, CityMapper is fantastic for multimodal trip planning and doing. https://citymapper.com/

I haven’t used it for a few years for the obvious reasons, so I was kinda delighted to hear that Miami is finally on there and it extends up to where I live too. It’s such a great app.

Violator
May 15, 2003

101 posted:

There's not much I need Strong to do that it doesn't do otherwise, but active development and little upgrades here and there would be nice for the price.

Super disappointed to see the other major new apps are basically clones of Strong right down to the color scheme and UI with other social crap bolted on.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m trying to find a good app for making a basic house plan with 3D models of furniture to try and help organise a good layout of the house I’m moving into.

I’m sure I used to have a good one years ago (I think it had an orange icon?), but everything I look at now is a subscription service and the free tier blocks things like having room sizes in smaller increments than 6”, or even from saving altogether.

I don’t need anything complex but is there a good free (or cheap one off payment) app for basic room layout planning?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Well, it's not basic, but MagicPlan is what I used the last couple times I've moved. If you have LIDAR on your phone or iPad it's really good these days. Just walk around the house tapping the corners of rooms on the screen and blammo, floorpan. Not sure if it has furniture mockups these days, however.

It has a sub, but will let you do 2(?) projects for free with all the features enabled I believe.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainCrunch posted:

Well, it's not basic, but MagicPlan is what I used the last couple times I've moved. If you have LIDAR on your phone or iPad it's really good these days. Just walk around the house tapping the corners of rooms on the screen and blammo, floorpan. Not sure if it has furniture mockups these days, however.

It has a sub, but will let you do 2(?) projects for free with all the features enabled I believe.
That should do the trick then, I'll only need it for one project anyway. Thanks! :)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So the Podcast app on my phone has a bug. I tried to re-order the library and it makes Downloaded disappear completely. Could only reappear via Uninstall/Reinstall, and the issue remains if I try again. Fine. I’ll leave it. But now it won’t sync! My other devices have no problem displaying the correct status but after days of leaving the app open, or syncing w my laptop, it still doesn’t work.

I don’t wanna restore but I’m at my wit’s end. Any ideas?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Google Maps and Apple Maps both STILL do the most annoying thing:

If I’m zoomed in on a location far away, and I do a search for something, like let’s say “pharmacy”, it feels like maybe 25% of the time it does what I want, which is show me pharmacies in my current map area.

The other 75% of the time it whips me back to my current location to show me pharmacies around me. I NEVER NEVER WANT THAT YOU STUPID APPS I ALWAYS WANT YOU TO SEARCH THE AREA IM CURRENTLY LOOKING AT

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep that's definitely a pain in the butt. My current thing is I wish you could alter it so the siri voiceovers came earlier than they currently do. Telling me which lane to be in is not useful when I'm already dedicated to a lane that I can't get out of because you waited until the very last second to tell me. It happened the other day and I'm assuming everyone was using GPS and had the same issue as everyone then started indicating to gtfo of the wrong lane.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

To be fair that was their strategy to deal with Windows Phone and it worked.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
As a former avid windows phone enthusiast; what killed windows phone was Microsoft’s total incompetence in basically everything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But aside from that,

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For some reason my phone doesn’t display or play notification sounds from message anymore. I’ve checked the notification settings, sound settings and finally did a full reset but to no avail. The results I get from googling doesn’t help much more past this. I get notifications on my iPad which is linked to the phone (tried without that as well). Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: 12 mini on latest non-beta iOs.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 19, 2022

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
For not playing the sounds, forgive the obvious, is your mute switch on? For not even displaying them, do you have a focus/do not disturb mode on?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MrOnBicycle posted:

For some reason my phone doesn’t display or play notification sounds from message anymore. I’ve checked the notification settings, sound settings and finally did a full reset but to no avail. The results I get from googling doesn’t help much more past this. I get notifications on my iPad which is linked to the phone (tried without that as well). Anyone got any ideas?

I have had the exact thing going on since the last update.(ish) Did all the same check and reset stuff. No dice.

I will get only 1-2 audible notifications from a message a day. It’s super annoying.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

I feel like I’m having the same issue. Just missing some notifications. This is on the latest regular release.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

CaptainCaveman posted:

For not playing the sounds, forgive the obvious, is your mute switch on? For not even displaying them, do you have a focus/do not disturb mode on?

Yep. Cycled it tons.

Skeezy posted:

I feel like I’m having the same issue. Just missing some notifications. This is on the latest regular release.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I have had the exact thing going on since the last update.(ish) Did all the same check and reset stuff. No dice.

I will get only 1-2 audible notifications from a message a day. It’s super annoying.

I suspected it was something related to some update, "good" to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Will just wait for a fix / get into the beta again I guess.

Thanks. :)

Edit: I guess I'm a blind idiot. For some reason the "hide alerts" setting under the notification from my wife was checked. I've still had problems with calls not showing up at times and other notifications. But maybe the reset fixed it all now.

Edit: Now I only get a sound when the phone is unlocked lol.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 20, 2022

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I had something similar happen a few updates back (15 or 15.1?). My issue may’ve been different though — in my case, anyone (on iOS?) who messaged me would also get a “Notifications are silenced” message.

It ended up being a case where I was stuck in a Focus mode even with Focus/DND disabled. I ended up having to disable “Allow Messages to access Focus” on all my iOS devices, then sign every device I own out of iCloud (phone, watch, ipad, macbook, imac), then delete all Focus modes (Sleeping/Working/Driving/etc) from the Focus settings on all my devices, then logging them each back in to iCloud.

Probably not the fix for your problem if your wife isn’t getting the “Notifications are silenced” message when she texts you but still worth checking all the Focus settings.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is NFC tag detection kind of flakey? I have the damnedest time trying to get automations to trigger sometimes and it doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason to it. Using a 13 Pro.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I can only get my automations to run automatically if my screen is unlocked when they trigger, otherwise it puts a prompt on the Lock Screen to run it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i found a useful little thing in Farm RPG. if you are ever going through your inventory in the Farmer's Market to sell extra items for a few nickels, there's an easy way to find which items you're maxed out on. just type "max" in the search box :pseudo:

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021
I don't like the interface of apple music and I'm looking for ideas. The mobile, desktop, and web apps (let alone itunes) are all janky af and I can't seem to find any music I like.
I used to use spotify, and that interface made sense to me (finding playlists, adding things to playlists, being able to see the playlist that is currently playing, generating playlists based on a song, album, artist, or playlist, seamless play between devices, etc.)
I switched to apple music a couple of months ago because it's already paid for and I find it so unpleasant that I barely listen to music anymore. All the recommendations are awful.
I've heard there are apps that are basically reskins of apple music or something, does anyone have any suggestions?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

smashmyradio posted:

I don't like the interface of apple music and I'm looking for ideas. The mobile, desktop, and web apps (let alone itunes) are all janky af and I can't seem to find any music I like.
I used to use spotify, and that interface made sense to me (finding playlists, adding things to playlists, being able to see the playlist that is currently playing, generating playlists based on a song, album, artist, or playlist, seamless play between devices, etc.)
I switched to apple music a couple of months ago because it's already paid for and I find it so unpleasant that I barely listen to music anymore. All the recommendations are awful.
I've heard there are apps that are basically reskins of apple music or something, does anyone have any suggestions?

I found the recommendations improved dramatically after a week of regular usage but I agree that all of the Music apps are loving terrible. The mobile app in particular annoys me with it's stupid pulldown screens, you end up accidentally doing other things constantly. I'm really unhappy with Spotify's watch app so I don't want to switch back unless I absolutely have to. The Apple+ all in one sub is nice but I am getting really annoyed at Apple's lack of any meaningful progress with Music. They keep clamoring about wanting to be a service provider, well improve your software before the sun implodes please.

Violator
May 15, 2003

smashmyradio posted:

I agree with all your complaints.

Marvis, Soor, and Cs Music are three apps that use Apple Music but replace the stock Music app that I use.

Here is a super in-depth review of all major music apps that replace Music.app:

https://barrowclift.me/post/fourth-annual-ios-music-player-showcase

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021

Violator posted:

I agree with all your complaints.

Marvis, Soor, and Cs Music are three apps that use Apple Music but replace the stock Music app that I use.

Here is a super in-depth review of all major music apps that replace Music.app:

https://barrowclift.me/post/fourth-annual-ios-music-player-showcase

Awesome, thank you so much, can't wait to check these out

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
All this Apple Music talk reminded me about a thing I've been trying to do since they added music videos: take an existing music playlist and find all of the videos for songs that happen to have videos. Some guy on reddit did it through a shortcut, and sure enough it works exactly as I was hoping it would. https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/comments/o4yri8/converting_apple_music_playlist_to_music_videos/

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

how do i get the built in list of contacts to not pull my address from an email? every time i change or delete/create new it changes it to the (slightly incorrect due to a typo) address

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone remember an app that gave guided walking tours of cities based on GPS location? I remember it being really good but couldn't make money.

I'm looking for a replacement if anyone has recommendations?

Cool Uncle
Dec 23, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone remember an app that gave guided walking tours of cities based on GPS location? I remember it being really good but couldn't make money.

I'm looking for a replacement if anyone has recommendations?

You might mean Detour. I would also be interested in a replacement.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Cool Uncle posted:

You might mean Detour. I would also be interested in a replacement.

That was it! Lots of individual apps claim to do the same but no obvious way of determining quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Looking for podcast app recommendations!

I was a long time Spotify user, switched to Apple Music a few months ago. Been using Apple’s podcast app, I like that it’s simple but also it has been buggy and annoying with certain “features.” Some of my annoyances includes it downloading episodes even with those features off (and then being difficult to delete them…), the player constantly disappears from my Lock Screen. For some reason it frequently jumps back to recently finished episodes. It feels like I’m dealing with a whack a mole of issues at this point.

I’ve been looking around, but I’m noticing most of the top recommended apps are subscription based. I would gladly buy a decent app, but I am not looking to add another subscription to my life. Any recommendations?