Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

How though? They're easy as piss. Do you only do them on Shrove Tuesday or something?

Yeah, a lot of people only make pancakes at home on Shrove Tuesday ("Pancake Day" as it's probably better known here, lol) so we don't really get much practice. We just don't really have it in our culture I guess. Usually said pancakes would be a dessert too rather than a breakfast or brunch so yeah, it's a bit arse backwards. In recent times it's easier to get better pancakes eating out as we've got more of a brunch culture, but in the home...yeeeah, not good.

We do have Yorkshire Puddings of course, which are similar but different. I think they're a little like the American "Dutch Baby" only smaller and almost always savoury, served with a roast dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

British pancakes remind me a lot of Danish pancakes which gets served one a a time and topped various jams (blueberry, strawberry, et cetera), powdered sugar, ganulated sugar, or maple syrup.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
We are starting to see pancakes a lot more on breakfast menus, but weirdly we don't tend to make them at home very much. Like eating Turkey at Christmas it just seems to be a thing everyone does once a year to the point that Tescos will often have a 'pancake day' display in the run up.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Annointed posted:

Could someone tell me what political affiliations SF Debris has? I question it because sometimes when I watch his videos and it turns to the explicitly political parts of science fiction pre 2016 it gets into some weird centrist stuff? I wonder if he has changed because so far from what I have been watching of his stuff it's mainly analysis of cultures and psychology sci fi uses.

I'm pretty sure he's stated that he's a libertarian before in a review, but I won't be able to find it as this was one I listened to ages ago.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I just wish we had easier access to American biscuits here. Those ones you get in the little cans that go in the fridge and you get them out and bake them? I love them. I'm sure they're easy to make but I cannot emphasize my laziness enough.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Pictured, a pancake (Pfannkuchen) according to the utterly deranged:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

If it's deep fried like Berliners are, can it REALLY be called a pancake? It doesn't even touch the pan!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I told you the people of Berlin are utterly deranged.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Annointed posted:

Could someone tell me what political affiliations SF Debris has? I question it because sometimes when I watch his videos and it turns to the explicitly political parts of science fiction pre 2016 it gets into some weird centrist stuff? I wonder if he has changed because so far from what I have been watching of his stuff it's mainly analysis of cultures and psychology sci fi uses.

It feels like Chuck was like Linkara in that he leaned more right-ish (or centrist) when he started and has drifted left over the years.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I just wish we had easier access to American biscuits here. Those ones you get in the little cans that go in the fridge and you get them out and bake them? I love them. I'm sure they're easy to make but I cannot emphasize my laziness enough.

I've never had an American biscuit, although I find it funny that the notion of "Biscuits and Gravy" over here can produce as much revulsion as Americans tend to feel about Beans on Toast. Probably because, I dunno, we think that it's dunking a McVities digestive into a jug of Bisto or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Antigravitas posted:

I think that's just a jelly donut

Edit: with the least amount of filling they could get away with

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you put a cake in a pan, is it a pancake?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

I've never had an American biscuit, although I find it funny that the notion of "Biscuits and Gravy" over here can produce as much revulsion as Americans tend to feel about Beans on Toast. Probably because, I dunno, we think that it's dunking a McVities digestive into a jug of Bisto or something.

They're so *nice*. Just really comforting and tasty.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
As a European I find the American fat pancake ridiculous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DeafNote posted:

As a European I find the American fat pancake ridiculous.

I have a name

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

Where? I can't see the Pfannkuchen. Is it below the Berliner?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

HopperUK posted:

Cream biscuits are literally just two ingredients (self rising flour and heavy cream) and you can make them in basically thirty seconds plus bake time.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
But homemade biscuits don't have little bits of butter scientifically added into the dough.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

But homemade biscuits don't have little bits of butter scientifically added into the dough.

?
You can do that pretty easy

You ever seen one of these, it's what it's for

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 7, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Cream biscuits are literally just two ingredients (self rising flour and heavy cream) and you can make them in basically thirty seconds plus bake time.

To be fair, I think Hopper means the flaky kind that needs layered butter in them. Which still isn’t hard it’s just more time consuming to do by hand.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

?
You can do that pretty easy

You ever seen one of these, it's what it's for

what the gently caress is that, no, never seen one:)

Yeah, I just was feeling wistful about the time I made Thanksgiving dinner over there.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

A lot of people say that the American biscuit is similar to scones, although scones are again a sweet item that you would put clotted cream and some jam on (they are also incredible). OR, I've also heard that they're similar to uk dumplings, but then I can't imagine that they involve suet at all. Certainly the useful tool posted there for incorporating butter into biscuits isn't something we have at all, I'm afraid.

I still think the main thing to take from this whole discussion is that..well, yeah. We are pretty loving poo poo at food kind of. I mean, we do do good things -- a nice roast dinner here, a plate of fish and chips there, a delicious fry-up chock full of black pudding and so on -- but generally, yes we're poo poo and the stereotypes are basically true. London is a great city for food for many reasons and literally NONE of them are anything to do with English food. I mean, unless you really fancy eating pie and mash or something. Certainly the more English food is better in the North than in the South, and I say that as a Southerner.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I believe that a US style pancake is known as a "flapjack" in the UK.

Or maybe someone told that to me as a joke once and I believed it.

Also that hbomb video rules.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

algebra testes posted:

I believe that a US style pancake is known as a "flapjack" in the UK.

Or maybe someone told that to me as a joke once and I believed it.

Also that hbomb video rules.

nah, a flapjack is a thing but it's nowt to do with pancakes. It's a sweet bar or square mainly made of oats and syrup. Quite nice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait until you hear about hotcakes

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kim Justice posted:

A lot of people say that the American biscuit is similar to scones, although scones are again a sweet item that you would put clotted cream and some jam on (they are also incredible). OR, I've also heard that they're similar to uk dumplings, but then I can't imagine that they involve suet at all. Certainly the useful tool posted there for incorporating butter into biscuits isn't something we have at all, I'm afraid.

I still think the main thing to take from this whole discussion is that..well, yeah. We are pretty loving poo poo at food kind of. I mean, we do do good things -- a nice roast dinner here, a plate of fish and chips there, a delicious fry-up chock full of black pudding and so on -- but generally, yes we're poo poo and the stereotypes are basically true. London is a great city for food for many reasons and literally NONE of them are anything to do with English food. I mean, unless you really fancy eating pie and mash or something. Certainly the more English food is better in the North than in the South, and I say that as a Southerner.

There's scones in the US, too, though maybe that's more of a modern cafe trend that's gotten common. Scones and American biscuits are baked in a similar way, with flour and a leavening agent like baking powder, but biscuits might include the butter for pastry-like layers, depending on how dense you want the biscuits. The big difference is that biscuits come out I guess with a more "neutral" salty/buttery flavor because it's expected to be a side you put butter, honey, or jelly on.

... so in a way they're a lot like British pancakes.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Biscuits is normally a side with fried chicken, isn't it? Or at least, I've seen them in American KFC videos.

If Americans are taking a liking to scones like we're getting a taste for proper American pancakes, that's good. Scones with clotted cream and jam is absolute top-tier food. Mind you, it is funny -- it's often common over here to dog on Americans for really fatty foods and all that, but then clotted cream is basically the absolute most fattening thing you can possibly make.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 8, 2022

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Is it bad that his use of some music from Deadly Premonition in the video gives me hope one day he talks about it? Or has he used that before and I haven't caught it...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Biscuits is normally a side with fried chicken, isn't it? Or at least, I've seen them in American KFC videos.

If Americans are taking a liking to scones like we're getting a taste for proper American pancakes, that's good. Scones with clotted cream and jam is absolute top-tier food. Mind you, it is funny -- it's often common over here to dog on Americans for really fatty foods and all that, but then clotted cream is basically the absolute most fattening thing you can possibly make.

Served with fried chicken for dinner or lunch, or as a side for breakfast. Or sometimes just as the main dish itself https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuits_and_gravy
They're generally more common in the south, but they're available everywhere including being used for the bread on breakfast sandwiches in gas stations and in fast food

American scones tend to be drier, glazed or powder sugared, and filled with mixins like raisins, blueberries, or cinnamon chips, and eaten without accoutrements, except butter in some cases.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

stillvisions posted:

Is it bad that his use of some music from Deadly Premonition in the video gives me hope one day he talks about it? Or has he used that before and I haven't caught it...

I hope he does, but I've heard Life is Beautiful in a lot of videos. It's extremely memorable and catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvXBFwcyek

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I am going to be the acknowledger that Hbomb specifically posted that poo poo picture of a pancake to showcase how bad the mix he used for it was, and also the acknowledger that he can make a decent one if done without a mix.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Depressing finding out there are lands where the pancake is a rarity. Guess you have to make sacrifices in exchange for unionized workforces and universal healthcare.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
IDK about other places but here in Norway it's mostly that pancakes are more often eaten with sweet toppings (jams, powdered sugar, honey, fresh berries, syrups, etc) than savory ones. And pancakes with sweet toppings are seen as way too sugary to eat frequently. I usually have pancakes a couple times a year probably. It works well as a dessert but personally at least I just don't bother going to the effort of cooking them over just grabbing some ice cream or whatever if I'm having dessert.

I've never had pancakes for breakfast or similar. Pancakes with bacon would probably be pretty nice as a breakfast. But we Norwegians are both very boring and very lazy with our breakfast so :effort: I only eat muesli with milk or slices of bread.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Depressing finding out there are lands where the pancake is a rarity. Guess you have to make sacrifices in exchange for unionized workforces and universal healthcare.

I mean, pancakes or no, I'm gonna guess there's not a single country in Europe that wants for cake and bread in their many multitudes. The entire Not sure he does either. Asked him the same question has a long a proud tradition at wheat-crafting.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

Wait until you hear about hotcakes

How do they sell

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pancakes, unionized workforces, and universal healthcare are all a regular thing in Denmark.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bacon pancakes felt like a meme to me for a long time but they're actually bloody amazing. Proper good sweet and savoury stuff. A taste sensation.

Not so sure about chicken, waffles and syrup, mind you. I had that once and I can't say that I approved of it at all.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Ah but what about Waffles with Syrup in them?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DeafNote posted:

Ah but what about Waffles with Syrup in them?

Yes, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Just feed me Stroopwafels via conveyor belt, tyvm.