Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, in Skin Horse, after a long time avoiding it, a Narbonic character besides Artie has finally made an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think part of it is that there definitely are people who lose interest and stop reading a comic but they, generally, aren't going to be the kind of person who posts about it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Android Blues posted:

It's definitely a wider pattern in online engagement, but also, it seems particularly prominent in the way Something Awful specifically discusses webcomics. There's very little gradient between "I'm no longer feeling this/that was a bad storytelling decision" and "this artist is a demon, and I am placed unto this thread to catalogue their known sins and imagine their secret ones".

SA has had a lot of mockthreads around webcomics over the decades, and most of them turn to poo poo. SA has a lot of mockthreads in general that turn to poo poo, too. I don't believe that webcomic rage is unique to SA's culture beyond the wider carte blanche to make threads about pointing and laughing at stuff, which inevitably slides into scraping through the bottom of the barrel and burrowing into the earth chasing endless lols. I can't even say SA should be uniquely credited with the idea of webcomic mockthreads, because I've been on other forums where mocking or snarking or laughing at a comic has organically grown out of people shifting from a genuine affection to rubbernecking an ongoing mess.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I've said it before, but of all the shittings-on I received when I first started out in webcomics, the making GBS threads-on I got from SA was easily the softest and most well meaning

if anything I kind of miss it, getting drat near absolute silence from the internet is far worse

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I liked the Øyvind Thorsby comics. What with the crazy systems and rules that the characters have to follow, alien evolutionary biology, and story that kind of goes somewhere without too much focus on emotional character arcs and backstories. I liked comics on MS Paint Adventures for a year a good decade+ ago for similar reasons, but got bored of the text log format at some point.

I'm looking for anything similar. I will peruse the OP's second post but if anyone has something in mind that is specifically that please recommend.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Heran Bago posted:

I liked the Øyvind Thorsby comics. What with the crazy systems and rules that the characters have to follow, alien evolutionary biology, and story that kind of goes somewhere without too much focus on emotional character arcs and backstories. I liked comics on MS Paint Adventures for a year a good decade+ ago for similar reasons, but got bored of the text log format at some point.

I'm looking for anything similar. I will peruse the OP's second post but if anyone has something in mind that is specifically that please recommend.

I haven't read the entire thing, but Spacetrawler is pretty thorsbyistic and I liked what I saw.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spacetrawler is very good. Takes some swerves you don't expect even though you really should have.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Big lot of Vattu pages posted today as a big climax to the story.

Evan Dahm has mentioned that it will be wrapping up in September, so still a bit to go. But Vattu started in 2010, great to see a project like this start to wrap up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Vattu, a summary:

"How I Destroyed Imperialism with the Power of Friendship" by Vattu
Part 1: learning you can't destroy imperialism with the power of friendship
Part 2: The Power of Incredible Violence

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Some real convergent evolution going on with Spacetrawler and Accidental Space Spy. I consider Accidental Space Spy the weakest of Thorsby's comics so this is in no way a complaint.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Oxxidation posted:

Vattu, a summary:

well the friendship did help

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Oxxidation posted:

Vattu, a summary:

maybe the real friendship was the air superiority we made along the way

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kennel posted:

I haven't read the entire thing, but Spacetrawler is pretty thorsbyistic and I liked what I saw.

I could not be happier with this. Thank you for the recommendation.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Kennel posted:

I knew this was Chris Baldwin's before I looked at the name of the artist. I used to love his "Little Dee" strip from years back. I still have one of the book collections somewhere.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I am kind of surprised how long the woman kaiju battle in Girl Genius is going. So many false ends to it, but what the heck, I am enjoying the ride.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I'm curious if anyone has any good accounts of "lost webcomics." Pictures for Sad Children was notably deleted, but then recovered on imgur, and as I understand it, much of Homestuck doesn't work properly anymore thanks to the end of Flash. But are there any prominent webcomics that are now completely gone forever because of hacks, lapsing on paying for hosting, or the creator just taking it down?

I got on thinking this because over in the PYF Comics thread, someone's posting Concerned, a Half Life 2 comic from 2005. It's a neat little time capsule, especially with the creator's notes on how they made the comic screenshotting Half Life and using Photoshop. They also contain a bunch of links to his friends' comics which are pretty much all 404s now, and that got me thinking if there's been any memorably lost webcomics out there.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Demonology 101 by Faith Erin Hicks is preserved here on archive.org and has links to other webcomics from the early 00s era. Not sure if every page is preserved.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My favorite example was Kid Radd, which was lost because the Internet it was designed for doesn't exist anymore. You need to dig out ancient web browsers from the dawn of html in order to view it natively.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.bgreco.net/kidradd.htm

Thankfully Kidd Radd has been preserved and updated for modern browsers, unlike Homestuck that had multiple interactive flash games that had to be converted into a completey different format.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
There does exist a fan made offline homestuck archive that even Hussie has said was better than what Viz did

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

This made me learn that I've never read Kid Radd in its original format.

And just after posting, I remembered Hanna Is A Boy's Name was deliberately taken down after the creator had... a whole mess of drama, but it has unauthorized reuploads as well. I'm pretty impressed with the preservation effort given for a lot of these comics!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FunkyAl posted:

Did you guys ever see the simpsons episode where bart is good at baseball and everyone loves him, and then he makes one mistake and everyone turns on him

See also: The Loud House episode where Lincoln’s family decides he’s bad luck and so they abandon him and force him to live outside. I was so psychotic that I was certain the family was playing a prank on him as a punishment for ditching his obligations but NOPE! Apparently their love and support goes right out the loving window the nanosecond you are inconvenient to be around. It was a very :psyduck: experience.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
pfsc and homestuck are both well preserved at this point. Coincidentally, yesterday I tried finding a Horribleville strip I remember about sitting on the toilet and hearing an ambulance go by but the archive for it only has like 44 strips? Maybe KC Green took most of it down for some reason, I'm not really sure.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Precambrian posted:

This made me learn that I've never read Kid Radd in its original format.

And just after posting, I remembered Hanna Is A Boy's Name was deliberately taken down after the creator had... a whole mess of drama, but it has unauthorized reuploads as well. I'm pretty impressed with the preservation effort given for a lot of these comics!

Oh hey I read that for a while at some point. What kind of drama?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah all i remember is that tess stone was infamous for leaving works half-finished (until Not Drunk Enough, good for him) and then sure enough he left that one half-finished

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 27, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
<removed correction about pronouns>

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 27, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'd be really happy, if someone manages to retrieve the full run of Anders loves Maria, which used to be one of the thread favorites back in the day. *bork bork*

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxxidation posted:

yeah all i remember is that tess stone was infamous for leaving works half-finished (until Not Drunk Enough, good for him) and then sure enough he left that one half-finished

It was this, but with the addition that his prior dropped projects didn't get far enough to have preorders for print editions and a publisher behind them, and Hanna Is A Boy's Name was pretty popular among the tumblr crowd at the time who like to fantasize about boys making out. So fans gave money for stuff, the comic stopped updating, the creator went radio silent, the publisher was left to deal with upset fans who threw money down, etc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Precambrian posted:

I got on thinking this because over in the PYF Comics thread, someone's posting Concerned, a Half Life 2 comic from 2005. It's a neat little time capsule, especially with the creator's notes on how they made the comic screenshotting Half Life and using Photoshop. They also contain a bunch of links to his friends' comics which are pretty much all 404s now, and that got me thinking if there's been any memorably lost webcomics out there.

I was very impressed that Concerned's creator stuck to their guns and never did anything else Half Life-related. I feel like Episode 1 was out when it was ongoing so there was more material (but of course not much more and even then not exactly a deep well).

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
monster killers...... :(

Kennel posted:

I'd be really happy, if someone manages to retrieve the full run of Anders loves Maria, which used to be one of the thread favorites back in the day. *bork bork*

gently caress lol

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like Episode 1 was out when it was ongoing so there was more material (but of course not much more and even then not exactly a deep well).

The last chapter uses some assets from Episode 1 but that was mostly just set up for its version of the "'Reviving' Black Belt" gag from 8-Bit Theater to close the whole thing off.

fun hater posted:

I've only seen like two or three pages from that series but the fact that I can still remember them after all this time speaks volumes.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Meant to post this earlier, but look what came for me a few days ago:

Still have to get around to reading it, been busy with other things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Precambrian posted:

I'm curious if anyone has any good accounts of "lost webcomics." Pictures for Sad Children was notably deleted, but then recovered on imgur, and as I understand it, much of Homestuck doesn't work properly anymore thanks to the end of Flash. But are there any prominent webcomics that are now completely gone forever because of hacks, lapsing on paying for hosting, or the creator just taking it down?

I remember a webcomic that I think was called "Bhag" and it was sort of like one of your D&D party setups, I think one main character was a dwarf, another was an elf, there were probably more. I think the elf had some kind of magical bag of tricks. I vaguely remember it having a unique take on fantasy that I liked. I think when I first found it, it had already decided to do a reboot of itself (which seems like a pretty good way to burn yourself out as a creator), and I think by this point whatever website it was on has been lost to the void.

I guess by a similar token, there's some old webcomics that I always felt like were missing something, possibly went through some kind of format or hosting change long ago and dropped part of it. Some webcomics might've been part of printed indie comics at one point in time. The Gods of Arr-Kelaan apparently was a tabletop RPG setting before it became a webcomic. The Foglios put some of their old printed indie comics online (with some fancy new gradient coloring for Buck Godot), and those have practically vanished into the ether (except for :filez: and the Wayback Machine). I'm not really sure what the details were, all I heard was that there was some kind of disagreement with a guy whose likeness was depicted in the comic. Some kind of behind the scenes drama.

And weird behind the scenes drama dovetails in to the biggest category of webcomics I know of that have been mostly lost. See, back when I was a kid, before I started hunting out webcomics one by one, I found one website that just had a bunch of webcomics all hosted in the same place so I could just dive through all of those all at once! How convenient! And that website was Fireball20xl. Now even at the time, there were a lot of red flags that the main guy in charge of the site wasn't good with organizational skills or as an author or really as a person in general, but some of the other people who had their own comics on the site seemed a lot better, although a couple times people's comics would just be dropped from the site without warning or explanation. So that site eventually went out in a ball of fire when it came out that the guy running the site had been sexually abusing minors (who had been drawn in by his infantile comics). I don't remember all the details offhand, there's plenty of places to read or listen about why Psyguy is a terrible person if you want the details. The only person connected to the site I still know of is Chris Niosi, who has become a voice actor. I don't know how many of them knew or might've been complicit. I don't even really remember most of the comics this long after they were gone. One comic was real weeby called "The Rogue's Gallery", and I kinda wanted to revisit it now that I've seen some of the animes it was referencing and stealing from. The site's webmaster made her own comic focused on Robotnik that had an interesting system of using flash to jump between panels, and towards the end (and she seemed have left the website long before it imploded) it had a whole threading system with multiple "narratives" to choose from, but flash is dead on top of the website being dead, so that's gone.

Relatedly, if there's any old flash stuff you remember from Newgrounds, that's probably still accessible, because they made a player to make old flash videos accessible even if it's not the same as it used to be. The infinite potential of flash, dead. Squandered by Adobe.

There's a lot that can be easily forgotten just because it wasn't very good and was never popular in the first place. I don't even really have a lot of dead bookmarks to check because I relied more on just my memory and routine back in the day. But some of them I read as a kid are just really wedged in my brain and give me nostalgia feels. I think there are a lot of people on the internet who make the effort of saving things, so it's only the most obscure stuff that gets truly lost.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh hey I read that for a while at some point. What kind of drama?

The thing that hasn't been mentioned yet (and the one part I knew about it, not being a Hanna Is A Boy's Name reader myself) was that there was a conspiracy theory (possibly started by the creator) that the comic was taken down due to the publisher for the comic's book deal having a particularly manipulative and abusive contract that forced the comic to go offline. Which caused a major outcry, except that there was no evidence of this, and Lackadaisy Cats' Tracy Butler, who used the same publisher, stepped in to call it out as nonsense.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

My personal white whale of gone from the internet web comic is still Otter Soldiers. The artist still has a website up with other comics on it but that one is completely gone and the web archive site has like 30ish out of 300ish pages, and most of the ones there are in the original Finnish instead of the English versions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I remember Howard Taylor had a brother (Randy) who did a nerd culture Far Side type one panel strip called Randym Thoughts that disappeared completely from the internet about 15 years ago. It was very hit or miss but had a couple home runs.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I'm wondering if anyone here remembers an early 2000s webcomic that ran on Keenspot called "Frankenstudent" by Tony Morris.

It was another newspaper-style strip (a rejected syndication submission that became a webcomic) about a single dad being tasked with taking care of his mad scientist brother's Frankenstein kid. It was pretty innocuous stuff, very much what you would expect in papers.

I remember loving the comic, though, and was disappointed it stopped updating. I can't find any info on what Tony Morris is up to. It's a very generic name, as you can imagine.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fun hater posted:

There's an archive floating around out there.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kennel posted:

So this is the first 174:
https://archive.org/details/AndersLovesMaria
..and this is from 180 to the end:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110813025055/http://anderslovesmaria.reneengstrom.com/archives/

So there's 6 missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

That's great, time to ruin my rose-tinted memories.