Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think we should be careful when comparing two hosts of mst3k, lest we awaken the ghosts of ancient usenet flamewars from 1994.

New crow sounds weird I hate it!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think we should be careful when comparing two hosts of mst3k, lest we awaken the ghosts of ancient usenet flamewars from 1994.
The best host was Eddie Nelson.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm debating whether to send Josh Weinstein a letter saying "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEWOLD VOICE".

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I AM GRANDO posted:

WE ALL SIGNED THE JOIKE ACCORDS, STAY ON THAT WALL

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Murdstone posted:

The best host was Eddie Nelson.

Poor Mike. Died from taking a set of hotel room keys to the head. Excellent death, though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Boba Pearl posted:

What... What did Matt McGinnis mean when he said "Well that sure is some strange fruit," to Jonah Heston talking about fretless guitars and Bass???

Jonah: I'm here on the set of my new PBS show about jazz. It's called "ooo that jazz" and we're going to talk about all the fretless basses that have ever been built over the course of the history of jazz.
Matt: Oh, that is some strange fruit.

"Strange Fruit" is a very famous (and very depressing) jazz standard about lynchings..

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I AM GRANDO posted:

I love Joel’s utter contempt for the name-reading thing, something he doubtlessly had to sign off on. Also love the split-second judgments the performers are making about what puns are probably too much and what name-based ribbing is probably ok to people who paid hundreds of dollars to have Jonah Ray imply that they have many children.

I mean, it was amusing hearing them read my name and then suddenly decide they needed to rhyme it with something.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Caught the first episode of the season last night and loved it. Riffs felt exactly the right pace, the jokes were fun and weird, the movie itself was appropriately batshit.

Was also delighted that a bunch of movies that hadn’t shown up in the app are now free to stream, although I’m going to be buying them all eventually. Yesterday my warmup for the premiere was Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders. “Stop it or I won’t continue to not have your children!”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dr Santo is a really good episode that just further cements how stupid it is that it took this much effort to make a drat season of something that people want to watch and other people want to make

like the fact that Netflix didn't keep them and give them total control to do whatever is baffling. it's a sure thing. it's like Oreos.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Netflix is showing itself to be a deeply stupid company

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I really hope MST3K makes it with this crazy 135$ a year / 50$ a season thing, because it seems absolutely insane to me monetarily, but at the same time if it works, it means that they'll be able to do this poo poo forever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Most shows are not this dang long per episode it's a good deal

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

To be honest if they did a Kickstarter every year to raise money for an upcoming season, I would back it every single year. The RiffTrax live show Kickstarters are basically printing money because (IMO) it's not so much people want to see whatever movie it is, they want extra goodies from RiffTrax or Kevin Murphy to sing them a theme song or whatever and they're willing to pay a premium for it. Joel needs to learn how to milk the whales.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'd rather normal people fund it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Upsidads posted:

If you're paying big bucks for MST3K, I wouldn't call you 'normal'. Believe me, I've spent big bucks.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Upsidads posted:

Bad news about the type of people who are watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 in 2022.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
one of the few genuinely good things about the modern internet is people being able to directly fund stuff they're interested in vs hoping some third party who doesn't give a poo poo continues to allow it to exist

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Well then I'll ask what are you thinking is whales? I'm thinking bendy

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think I remember reading an interview with Joel where he admitted to trolling some message boards anonymously over it, and one time even when one flame war had finally died down he posted, “But seriously, Joel was better” just to start it all up again lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Upsidads posted:

Well then I'll ask what are you thinking is whales? I'm thinking bendy

i have no idea who that is but i assume the other poster just meant 'people with lots of disposable money' as is usual instead of somebody they could actually, like, name

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

flatluigi posted:

i have no idea who that is but i assume the other poster just meant 'people with lots of disposable money' as is usual instead of somebody they could actually, like, name

I spend a lot of money on MST3K and its numerous offspring and I'm not afraid to admit it. :colbert: and it's not just for the video content they produce, it's for the other events and trinkets and doodads and whatever.

It's me, I'm the whale.

Shwales!

EDIT: some of season 13's high level business backers like the folks who created Bendy and BearManor Media got ad spots during the show.

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 7, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Is vip whale? Am I the monster?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Whales aren't the monsters, they're the heroes that make the whole system work.

But if you kickstarted for more 85$, I'd personally consider you a whale, because that's just the buying in point for the season, so anyone who wanted a year pass would have to pay that much minimum.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

I really hope MST3K makes it with this crazy 135$ a year / 50$ a season thing, because it seems absolutely insane to me monetarily, but at the same time if it works, it means that they'll be able to do this poo poo forever.

The price per episode is around the same as what Rifftrax charges (albeit a couple bucks higher.)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

The price per episode is around the same as what Rifftrax charges (albeit a couple bucks higher.)

For comparison, the MSRP for the 4 episode box sets is $40 (though actual prices can range from $35-$50).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

which, fair, there is arguably more production value in MST3K

probably

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I mean, if all of classic MST3K continues to come with a subscription...I'm the target audience for this service. One place to watch (almost) of it at the highest possible quality? And new episodes?

I'm the whale.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

The virtual theatre owns.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
is the Behind the Scenes at the Supermarket with Joel, Josh, and Bill available anywhere?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Bendy is advertised in every episode and I still have no idea what it is.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Bendy is advertised in every episode and I still have no idea what it is.

It's a vidya game. Horror genre. Bendy is cute little cartoon inspired by early black and white animated characters like Bosco and early Mickey. But scary! I have not played it myself, but, like Crow and Servo, I have seen it played on YouTube.

Edit: I know how to spell

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 8, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I understood the words Bosco and Mickey

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

It's a vidya game. Horror genre. Bendy is cute little cartoon inspired by early black and white animated characters like Bosco and early Mickey. But scary! I have not played it myself, but, like Crow and Server, I have seen it played on YouTube.

You are the first person to actually know what Bendy is. Perhaps if the commercial had actually said that rather than vague things about Bendy merchandise like we should all be running out to get Bendy poo poo then everyone wouldn't be so confused.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Random Stranger posted:

You are the first person to actually know what Bendy is. Perhaps if the commercial had actually said that rather than vague things about Bendy merchandise like we should all be running out to get Bendy poo poo then everyone wouldn't be so confused.

I'm glad the ads don't specify what it is.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:orb:

Nice to see the White Dot again, glad they got a spot in the closing credits.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah I think the bit benefits from not knowing exactly what Bendy's whole deal is or the nature of Bendy's plan for us.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I hope Bendy has some Sampo...

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I love this aimless jazz and I just figured it why: it reminds me very much of something that would've been on a Sesame Street short a long time ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I guess they're featuring backers in the credits on an episodic basis? Because none of mine were on there :(