Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Everyone in this thread has generally been pretty loving great about assuming good faith arguments. Let’s dial back the aggressiveness in how we interact with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love "loitering munition".
"Hey, whatcha doing, Switch?"
"Not much, you?"
"Just hang-- sorry, tank, gotta go."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I love "loitering munition".
"Hey, whatcha doing, Switch?"
"Not much, you?"
"Just hang-- sorry, tank, gotta go."

I keep imagining a fat mall security guard chasing them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

tbf there's general General chat and there's dead General chat

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alan Smithee posted:

tbf there's general General chat and there's dead General chat

two thread titles in one post imo

:golfclap:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
oh thank god, it was so weird seeing my own words in the thread title, and it was doubly weird that it happened twice because of a European land war.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
It's also a great new title since the user panel has that column going "Killed By" "name of last person to post"

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Don't mind me just killing this general thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

comrade Smithee to this day has not received royalties for his post that would later be adopted as the thread title

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bayraktar TB2 posted:

Don't mind me just killing this General, thread

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1523027761207648258?t=Xk6IzC5SPG7IlqbI8_I52g&s=19

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pikehead posted:

Same reason that the Australian SAS was sent on repeated tours in doing the same thing in Afghanistan - political expediency. Only difference is that there's a chance that any war crimes committed by the SAS might be bought to light and punished.

There was something similar in the US army in 44-45 Europe when the Rangers and airborne were their best units but got worn down from constant deployments and being used in operations that weren’t their intended purpose like city fighting and entrenchments.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

comrade Smithee to this day has not received royalties for his post that would later be adopted as the thread title

I thought not receiving credit was Alan Smithee's whole thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Autocannon with a .22 maybe. I assure you that if you have ever been within 10 feet of a CIWS when it is being fired, that will stick with you until the end days.

They were mounted up on the 02 level, so I really couldn't get that close to them when they went off.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Koej (Cold War thread poster did) and I saw a post YouTube by another who did. Basically keeping escalation managed and take out the enemy comms.

Was totally by accident I didn’t know half what I was doing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/LyingCorrectly/status/1523036248436527104?s=20&t=thl2cXYx44rJSiZ7HgjeHw

TW: SAM Battery on Snake Island gets taken out imediately prior to the SU-27 strike on the island, don't watch if you don't want to see moving black dots become non moving black dots.

The SAM was powered up, and the radars were functioning, for some reason they just didn't shoot the TB-2 loitering overhead that they definitely saw on their displays? I have no loving clue because the crew looks like they're just fuckin off and not acting like they're aware of the drone overhead before the hit, like it's not even a war.

It could be faulty equipment, bad ROE, or piss poor training, probably a healthy dose of all 3.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 7, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I wonder how much of the Black Sea Fleet will be left by the end of this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

The SAM was powered up, and the radars were functioning, for some reason they just didn't shoot the TB-2 loitering overhead that they definitely saw on their displays? I have no loving clue because the crew looks like they're just fuckin off and not acting like they're aware of the drone overhead before the hit, like it's not even a war.

It could be faulty equipment, bad ROE, or piss poor training, probably a healthy dose of all 3.

I know that the US, Russia, and some others have slapped SHORAD systems on the deck of things like freighters and LHDs, but I'm not so confident in the viability of a radar guided SAM like a TOR operating well when you're in the middle of experiencing the boat pilot trying to drive your rear end onto a loading dock. Both from a sensor and a crew inside the thing perspective.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Putting warheads on foreheads.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I know that the US, Russia, and some others have slapped SHORAD systems on the deck of things like freighters and LHDs, but I'm not so confident in the viability of a radar guided SAM like a TOR operating well when you're in the middle of experiencing the boat pilot trying to drive your rear end onto a loading dock. Both from a sensor and a crew inside the thing perspective.

I thought that the cliffs around Snake Island were a little taller, and that wasn't the boat docks but then I looked again after you said it and realized its the loving landing craft trying to emplace the system on the island. Good job taking it out before it could be employed then lol.

Little weird looking at shallow water through thermal cameras.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/LyingCorrectly/status/1523036248436527104?s=20&t=thl2cXYx44rJSiZ7HgjeHw

TW: SAM Battery on Snake Island gets taken out imediately prior to the SU-27 strike on the island, don't watch if you don't want to see moving black dots become non moving black dots.

lmao. Plotting SEADs on the boards in the FDC of an 81mm mortar platoon was some calculus-level poo poo I was terrible at

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

orange juche posted:

Since when do the Russians have RoE?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

orange juche posted:

I wonder if they just weren't able to point the Tor SAM in the right direction. The spinning radar on the top is a target acquisition radar, the target engagement radar is a fixed PESA radar in front of the turret and the turret probably needs to point roughly to the correct direction. The sides on the Serna-class landing craft don't look too high, but the lifeboats might be in spots to prevent turning the turret. Such delicious irony, killed by lifeboats.

Of course this theory is debunked by the assumption that Russian crafts would actually be equipped by lifeboats.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

I want you to feel appreciated for this sly edit

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

I want you to feel appreciated for this sly edit

Lol who got buttmad and redtexted you. That’s def not your character.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TheWeedNumber posted:

Lol who got buttmad and redtexted you. That’s def not your character.

Probably C-SPAM. They still genuinely believe in the justness of the Special Military Operation (tm)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I’m the only Gipper who has been beying for Russian blood since before Georgia. Don’t @me cold warriors. 420 smoke Ivan every day.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

420 smoke Ivan every day.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I’m the only Gipper who has been beying for Russian blood since before Georgia. Don’t @me cold warriors. 420 smoke Ivan every day.

24/7

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

So now there needs to be a series of sub-themed joints, all painted to look like subs:

"Crazy Ivan"
"Red October"

Except the last one painted to look like Moskva called:

"Special Undersea Operation"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

k19 the widowmaker
alfa class

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they should just designate widowmaker a class that all russian vessels belong too

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Kazinsal posted:

Probably C-SPAM. They still genuinely believe in the justness of the Special Military Operation (tm)
The gently caress? That's a thing on these forums? wtf are they high on, krokodil?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The gently caress? That's a thing on these forums? wtf are they high on, krokodil?

"USA bad, therefore everyone against USA good" and "it's only imperialism if the US does it".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's quite funny in parts because they have a gunnery guy there making a show of dispensing spec knowledge wisdom who has somehow managed to both be wrong in every single prediction they've made and also completely misinterpret every event as it is happening and they haven't noticed the pattern.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That dude stopped posting at one point cuz he said his wife was going to leave him if he kept posting so much. Like 4 days later he was back posting as much as ever lol

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That dude threw me for a bit, I was like well he probably knows what he's talking about and got kinda worried

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

That dude threw me for a bit, I was like well he probably knows what he's talking about and got kinda worried

I don't think he's a Walter Mitty, but I do think his file got marked with 'no further promotion' 5-10 years ago and he still hasn't accepted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

For the longest time that forum only had one moderator and they allowed it to become the Tankie Zone. Naturally, Jeff responded to this by adding a few more mods and IKs who were already thoroughly invested in the cultural purity of the Tankie Zone.