Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gonna get worse when the MTA is allowed to fall apart because rich people don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Gonna get worse when the MTA is allowed to fall apart because rich people don't use it.

:confused: once they can stop paying attention to those worthless mass transit and focus more on improving traffic, things will get much better :confused:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mistermojo posted:

maybe its because this is the first nice weekend in 8 months in Minnesota but the highways were crazy today. numerous crashes which caused so much traffic during which I saw multiple cars go full speed and slam on the breaks (which is probably what caused the crashes in the first place)

its a jungle out there. maybe everyone does have covid brain

Just popping in to say that today is a great day, and I'm not going to be driving anywhere. More people ITT should follow that advice.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

My partner and I are currently looking to buy a house, and we're vetoing anything that isn't in a bicycle-friendly area and walking distance to some shops. It's amazing how much of the city those requirements eliminate straight away (this is in Auckland, which was previously established in this thread to be more than twice as deadly to cycle in vs. many other much larger cities around the world).

I'm just desperate for some kind of legislative movement around the world towards light electric vehicles, it feels so pointless to buy a 2 tonne 5-seater electric SUV (they're all loving SUV's now) with 400+ km range to drive one person 30 km round-trip for 99% of trips. Obviously in an ideal world I wouldn't need any such vehicle and could just walk, cycle or public transit anywhere I need to go, but before that point it seems like the mountain of car-centric infrastructure could be put to some use with far less environmentally detrimental vehicles.

Is it just me or does It feel like the industry shift towards electric cars is a loving op designed to divert and blunt any shift towards actual change that could actually make a fundamental difference to how we get around in order to minimise as much as possible the impact on existing car-centric industries? I mean there's nothing inherently bad about batteries or electric motors, but putting hundreds of kilos of batteries and a 300 kW electric motor into a huge low-efficiency SUV body packed to the brim with extra-weight and power consuming BS is arguably worse for the environment in terms of total lifecycle cost than doing nothing. The marketing is obviously pushing hard that buying anything electric-powered is inherently good (see the hummer EV) but it seems obvious that the total package of the vehicle is the important thing and not just the choice of drivetrain.

Apr 7, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

I'm just desperate for some kind of legislative movement around the world towards light electric vehicles,

I dunno about NZ but in the US electric golf carts are extremely popular in retirement communities in Florida because old folks love to hop into the cart and go get shitfaced. Some retirement communities are built around golf cart paths.

You'd think the country would learn a lesson from that but of course not.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

The marketing is obviously pushing hard that buying anything electric-powered is inherently good (see the hummer EV) but it seems obvious that the total package of the vehicle is the important thing and not just the choice of drivetrain.

I mean poo poo I bet if you tried hard enough you could build a tiny, high-efficiency and low-emission petrol engine, put it into a light-weight and super streamlined aerodynamic vehicle and get overall lifecycle environmental impact lower than most if not all currently available EV's despite burning fossil fuels. Basically take the Shell eco-marathon cars and make some legislation to allow me to drive one to work as a stop-gap until all cars are eliminated.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just popping in to say that today is a great day, and I'm not going to be driving anywhere. More people ITT should follow that advice.

It's windy but the sun is out, i might go for a bike ride

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I dunno about NZ but in the US electric golf carts are extremely popular in retirement communities in Florida because old folks love to hop into the cart and go get shitfaced. Some retirement communities are built around golf cart paths.

I've emailed some MP's and the national road and transit authority here and basically got a 'lol gently caress you' even in terms of just bringing currently existing EU legislation over here. I could probably build myself a vehicle and get it registered as a kit car if I tried hard enough.

The issue with existing vehicle legislation is that it's not physically possible to make a road-legal efficient vehicle that could also get wide acceptance and adoption by the population (which I think would be essential for it to actually make any positive difference).

- Current crash-worthiness standards necessitate a large, heavy and powerful vehicle like most cars are
- E-bike power limits of 300W are far too low to move any size of vehicle at close to suburban street speeds (which would be a requirement for people to feel safe as long as they have to share the road with other cars, which they would as we don't and won't have adequate cycle infrastructure for the foreseeable future)
- Human power alone is inadequate to shift much weight up any kind of hill, especially for the average person who isn't that fit and doesn't want to sweat buckets on the way to work or the shops

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

you can get one of these for <$5k

they're legal in the us except on the highways, 55mpg or w/e.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Dog Case posted:

same here, what I did is bike in the direction the wind was going and now I'm taking regional rail back. would recommend

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Yeah you can easily get Kei cars in NZ, but even that kind of thing is probably 100 times less efficient than a vehicle could be, especially for 99% of people's daily trips. And yes, obviously cycling/walking/trams etc would be better again, but while that infrastructure doesn't yet exist there are things we could be doing right now that would make the infrastructure we do have significantly less bad and would also be attractive enough to the ordinary person that they might be convinced to use them without having to force them (which again, just isn't going to happen under most capitalist governments).

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SKULL.GIF posted:

Covid 2020 Los Angeles

it was incredible to walk around with the air so clear and free of car sounds

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
electric cars will also solve air and noise problem, i'm elon musk :)

Apr 7, 2003

good thing that electric cars don't use any petroleum products

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dog Case posted:

:yeah:

mystes
May 31, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Aren't some states massively cracking down on imported vehicles now or something?

Kei trucks would be a massive improvement for businesses that really need trucks after ownership of personal cars is banned though.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Ban cars. Ban the 40 hour work week.
Shut the gently caress up about personal responsibility.

I re-came across the David Foster Wallice graduation speech, and, seriously, I read this speech much differently now.
Man.... DWF was carbrained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

40 years of progress

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

Aren't some states massively cracking down on imported vehicles now or something?

Kei trucks would be a massive improvement for businesses that really need trucks after ownership of personal cars is banned though.

If states are cracking down on imports, it's only to bolster their feeble manufacturing industry in a misguided attempt to stave off loss of profit, and nothing at all to do with the qualities of the vehicles being imported.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

it was incredible to walk around with the air so clear and free of car sounds

right at the top of the pandemic during the epic race riots when we had martial law or whatever after sundown me and some neighbors dragged some lawnchairs and beers onto fountain ave and posted up in hte middle of the street and drank those bitches for a few mins. it was totally bizarre.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

interesting thing about london straight up forcing vehicle manufacturers to make a safer truck

https://theap.substack.com/p/i-saw-a-cool-truck-today?s=r

quote:

Now, has Volta designed a safer truck for urban transport simply because Europeans companies are more enlightened and civilized on these issues than Americans? I mean, let’s be honest, part of the answer is yes, culture matters and they have basically a multi-decade head start on caring about this stuff over there. But the Volta Zero was not developed and brought to market out of altruism. As Alan notes, this model was designed for a specific reason: To meet London’s “Direct Vision Standards.”

London has adopted fairly rigorous safety standards for trucks (or Heavy Goods Vehicles/“HGVs” in EU-speak) they call the “Direct Vision Standard.” HGVs over a certain weight now require a new permit to enter London, determined by standardized safety ratings based on visibility from a truck’s cab. This mandate applies all day, every day, on every street in London. And they are enforcing it.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

people love to spend lots of money to visit a walkable downtime at disneyland. for lots of people it's the highlight of their year and they think about it obsessively.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

distortion park posted:

people love to spend lots of money to visit a walkable downtime at disneyland. for lots of people it's the highlight of their year and they think about it obsessively.

That is an official approved experience, you can’t just go and live life like that.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Smythe posted:

right at the top of the pandemic during the epic race riots when we had martial law or whatever after sundown me and some neighbors dragged some lawnchairs and beers onto fountain ave and posted up in hte middle of the street and drank those bitches for a few mins. it was totally bizarre.

hell yes. riding my bike at sunrise at the tail end of 6am curfew with absolutely zero cars, swaying across all four lanes of major avenues pedaling lazily, waving to the neighborhood block patrols and store owners who stayed up all night in their lawn chairs. it was so fun

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

distortion park posted:

"Oh, the monorail system is so nice and quiet and runs right TO our hotel!"

Kicked Throat posted:

electric cars will also solve air and noise problem, i'm elon musk :)

I know this isn't you speaking but lol electric engines ain't gonna do poo poo for tire noise which is iirc the bigger source compared to engine. Hell, increasing the vehicle weight might actually make it worse, right?

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

add a nice walk-able area to a city and people flock there like moths to a flame. Tampa finished up their "riverwalk" a few years ago, basically a 2.5 mile path next to a river with a handful of shops and restaurants. compared to proper cities it's not special, just a place to walk around and maybe grab a beer or let your kid play in the park or whatever. but because it's actually made for humans to enjoy it got very popular very quickly. thousands of people walking, biking and just hanging out. people who would otherwise only interact with the city through their car as they drive to and from wherever they are buying food.

everyone can feel the relief of being in a nice public space. people are very interested in going to places where they don't need cars. for some reason the psychos in charge of our society refuse to let us have much of that though. every last cent of our taxes must go to bigger highways. maybe with a few more expressway on-ramps we'll really get this city thriving!

car infrastructure is a suffocating malady choking out every person and every land animal. when we see the roadkill remains of whatever poor creature was unfortunate enough to approach a road, we know, at least somewhere deep down, that this sucks

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

interesting thing about london straight up forcing vehicle manufacturers to make a safer truck

Good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Norton posted:

add a nice walk-able area to a city and people flock there like moths to a flame. Tampa finished up their "riverwalk" a few years ago, basically a 2.5 mile path next to a river with a handful of shops and restaurants. compared to proper cities it's not special, just a place to walk around and maybe grab a beer or let your kid play in the park or whatever. but because it's actually made for humans to enjoy it got very popular very quickly. thousands of people walking, biking and just hanging out. people who would otherwise only interact with the city through their car as they drive to and from wherever they are buying food.

everyone can feel the relief of being in a nice public space. people are very interested in going to places where they don't need cars. for some reason the psychos in charge of our society refuse to let us have much of that though. every last cent of our taxes must go to bigger highways. maybe with a few more expressway on-ramps we'll really get this city thriving!
It's amazing how everyone wants to go to nice walkable places like that and yet if you suggest removing some cars to make a place walkable it's the most horrible thing in the world

Like imagine if you actually just got to live in a place like that rather than driving 30 minutes to get there or even flying to a resort in another country to get that experience?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Norton posted:

car infrastructure is a suffocating malady choking out every person and every land animal. when we see the roadkill remains of whatever poor creature was unfortunate enough to approach a road, we know, at least somewhere deep down, that this sucks

I'd love for them to make South Beach car free. Everyone already walks bc it's slow af, the only people driving through are morons in rented lambos looking to show off.

Tampa sounds surprisingly nice from everything I hear. Lots of bicycle centric stuff too

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Went on a nice walk to the lake, lol at car users

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've never been in a modern pickup truck but I don't know how you can see gently caress all in the driver's seat. The hood is so loving tall and you sit so far back from the front of the car. I already thought most modern sedans were bad I don't know why anyone wants to drive like that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
also the other day i drove a brand new prius from the car share. i started with the window down and when I eventually rolled the window up it was insane how much it muted all the ambient noise. you can barely even hear oncoming cars. the difference between that and a 2015 prius in terms of isolating the driver is crazy.

Apr 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

I've never been in a modern pickup truck but I don't know how you can see gently caress all in the driver's seat. The hood is so loving tall and you sit so far back from the front of the car. I already thought most modern sedans were bad I don't know why anyone wants to drive like that.

Might have been posted here but behind the wheel of a Tahoe you can’t see an average sized five year old until they’re fifteen feet away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDH3FDfVQl0

The framing here is amazing

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
front facing camera lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Might have been posted here but behind the wheel of a Tahoe you can’t see an average sized five year old until they’re fifteen feet away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDH3FDfVQl0

The framing here is amazing
"It is very normal for you not to understand what you can see from your car, and the solution for this is clearly for the manufacturers to install front-facing cameras that it is also very normal for you to not know how they work; this newscast brought to you by Cadillac!"

Like, the engineers for these cars should definitely be going to prison, but the idea that you get in a car and not loving understand what your sightline is is absolutely loving insane to me. Car people are loving psychopaths.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

yeah golf carts are legal in indiana (depending on town ordinance). lots of people drive them around the little town i live in. They'll even put little zip up covers on them in the winter.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Good. Now apply it to all vehicles and make it international law tia.

I'm not even joking; If your vehicle requires a loving front facing camera you've failed and it should be illegal.

802.11weed posted:

front facing camera lol

an actual frog has issued a correction as of 22:43 on May 8, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

an actual frog posted:

I'm not even joking; If your vehicle requires a loving [...] camera you've failed and [should be tried for negligent homicide].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Geniunely livid tbh

Cars? hate 'em