Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
After thinking about it yeah we can always just PM an admin/mod to edit the thread if need be but that also raises a question of "Does anyone actually read big OPs in threads that aren't the PC building thread?"

Because if I remade the thread I'd just have a picture of a guitar then 10,000 characters of "buy a boss katana, squier CM/VM, wear earplugs, go to justin guitar for starter lessons" over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Being a lefty pays off - all along I thought my new ESP was made in China. Apparently my stock had been sitting around long enough that it's Indonesian.

To celebrate, I'm picking up a Fender Mustang Micro to see how I like it. It seems like a great option for a house with dogs and kids that are loud and can be woken up easily.

Guitars loving rule.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I actually really enjoy writing OPs (MTG arena and MonHun threads). This is my other big haunt, and I would be happy to write a nice big new one and launch a new thread. Early next week?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
We could probably have a breakdown of modeling options in the new OP, since so many people just play at home (buy an HX Stomp)

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Probably could use some basic instructions for audio interfaces and plug-ins too and DAWs. Even if it's just "get a cheap Focusrite and use reaper".

If I was new guitar I'd think plug-ins are the way to go. I use them so much now.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

After thinking about it yeah we can always just PM an admin/mod to edit the thread if need be but that also raises a question of "Does anyone actually read big OPs in threads that aren't the PC building thread?"

Because if I remade the thread I'd just have a picture of a guitar then 10,000 characters of "buy a boss katana, squier CM/VM, wear earplugs, go to justin guitar for starter lessons" over and over again.

I’ve read this very OP a couple of times in the last few weeks, so yeah some weird people do read them.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Malaria posted:

Probably could use some basic instructions for audio interfaces and plug-ins too and DAWs. Even if it's just "get a cheap Focusrite and use reaper".

If I was new guitar I'd think plug-ins are the way to go. I use them so much now.

I have a focusrite for zoom meetings and I've never used it for my guitar - I'd be super interested in this.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ultimately i think people are just going to do/get whatever they want.

i will say i think plugins tend to kind of suck for the specific reason of "sometimes this poo poo is fiddly and just isn't working right" and that it takes a while to get going.

the best thing about a dead simple amp and a guitar is that it lets you just plug in, turn on, and go.

with computers there's so much bullshit to do, most of the time when i demo things i just record a voice memo into my phone. involving anything else just becomes so distracting and complicated.

the guitar's in your hands. if it's set up correctly, play the drat guitar

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Lumpy posted:

I had some time to kill before the Godsspeed You! Black Emperor show on Thursday, so wandered into a music store and they had a baritone Cabronita Tele with P90s. I foolishly asked them to plug it in for me, and now I think I have to get one.

I have a green one. It's nice and you should get one.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

luchadornado posted:

Being a lefty pays off - all along I thought my new ESP was made in China. Apparently my stock had been sitting around long enough that it's Indonesian.

To celebrate, I'm picking up a Fender Mustang Micro to see how I like it. It seems like a great option for a house with dogs and kids that are loud and can be woken up easily.

Guitars loving rule.

hell yeah
and being left handed rules
less stock overall, and the rare stuff is wildly more expensive, but mass market stuff is just as easy to get and the aftermarket for it is much easier to haggle down because resalers are sitting on poo poo and trying to compete with the new releases

it's a land of contrasts but I wouldn't change it for anything

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

landgrabber posted:

the guitar's in your hands. if it's set up correctly, play the drat guitar

These are good words. GAS is truly a plague.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

lament.cfg posted:

I want that Tele and I’m near Philly. poo poo. Let me think on it.

Hmmmmmmmmmm? Any decisions?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah a true beginner should absolutely get an amp and we're at the point where a cheap Mustang LT/Crush 20 or reasonably priced Katana 50/Catalyst/THR10 is going to be plenty

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I want a telecaster…why? I just want one.

What’s a decent mid-range one to get? No idea on budget but it doesn’t need to be top of the line but I also don’t want a complete cheapie version.

I’ve currently got a firefly LP which scratches the itch for my les Paul wants, and a PRS SE which I’m considering selling because it’s just boring-I like the scale of it and it sounds good, but it just doesn’t do anything for me if that makes sense.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Telecaster.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its just a telecaster going into warp drive

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If we're restarting the thread with a fresh OP I'd be happy to write up a bunch of stuff that might interest people, especially in terms of writing guitar parts. Things like complimentary chords and melodies (or counter), how to fit in a mix, etc.

Basically I talk a lot of poo poo about guitar (the goon discord can attest) and I'd be down to write some pieces for review if y'all would like.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Classic Vibe if you want the best bang per buck new. Affinity if you want cheap but hate the CV neck gloss. Player if you want fender on the headstock. An old "standard" if you want to brave reverb for used stock (these are the Mexican ones from before they rebranded as Player).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

If we're restarting the thread with a fresh OP I'd be happy to write up a bunch of stuff that might interest people, especially in terms of writing guitar parts. Things like complimentary chords and melodies (or counter), how to fit in a mix, etc.

Basically I talk a lot of poo poo about guitar (the goon discord can attest) and I'd be down to write some pieces for review if y'all would like.

That sounds fantastic.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 8, 2022

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Noob review of the Fender Mustang Micro. I really like it. I already had a pair of Sony 7506 headphones so didn't have to worry about output. I haven't tried pairing to my Jabras yet, but it supposedly would work.

The form-factor and rechargeable battery are great and make it super easy to just pick up and play. I'm understating how massive of a boon this is to my desire to practice. The other major benefit is the practical assortment of 12 amps and 12 effects. My GAS has been kicking in looking at amps and pedals, and this little device really scratches a lot of that itch for now. I used Bluetooth to play along with Journey's Stone In Love and it was easy to find a combination that sounded really close to Neal Schon on the album.

There are a few things I wish were better. First up, even thought it's really small, it hangs awkwardly on a body with the jack on the bottom. That's not really it's fault though, it's probably way better on something like a strat. I'd kill for a better interface, especially something with presets - I'm trying to remember led combinations like "dark green amp + blue effects with modify -2 = cool for 90s alt rock.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo the OP is 12 years old. Yeah we need a new thread and OP. there's so much that's happened between then and now.

luchadornado posted:

it hangs awkwardly on a body with the jack on the bottom.

How about something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Seadream-2Pack-Female-Extension-Cables/dp/B07SSKK4WG/ref=sr_1_2 Plug in to this and get it clipped on the bottom end of your strap maybe?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i was eight years old when this thread was made.

i am twenty now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

landgrabber posted:

i was eight years old when this thread was made.

i am twenty now

i honestly appreciate how we're cross generational in our love for these stupid stringed instruments that won't stay in tune. blessings to you. i was uh, 22, when you were made

if i ever decide to let it go you get first crack at my 1965 teisco del rey, for sheer comedy value (it's got this cool ceramic pickup you can yell into)

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Lumpy posted:

I had some time to kill before the Godsspeed You! Black Emperor show on Thursday, so wandered into a music store and they had a baritone Cabronita Tele with P90s. I foolishly asked them to plug it in for me, and now I think I have to get one.

That was a great show. I think I spent all day Friday humming the ending tune of "Bosses Hang" in my head.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've been listening to a bunch of gojira this year and the urge to get a bari tele is nearly overwhelming now

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Jonny 290 posted:

i honestly appreciate how we're cross generational in our love for these stupid stringed instruments that won't stay in tune. blessings to you. i was uh, 22, when you were made

if i ever decide to let it go you get first crack at my 1965 teisco del rey, for sheer comedy value (it's got this cool ceramic pickup you can yell into)

okay but seriously, i think those things are sick so let me know

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Played my first gig in something like 27 years tonight. All sorts of stuff went wrong with the PA, we were an hour late starting, and the band never quite gelled because of the PA/Monitor problems, except from time to time things came together perfectly. It was still a blast. There were so many people there. When we were good, we were really good. When we were bad, there were enough bandmates who are fast on their instruments to help mask that stuff, make it sound like we meant to do that. That's a skill every band needs.

Overall it was a good success. We got paid to rehearse, essentially, and we are invited back in July.

Band leader handed me a little roll of twenties and I stuffed em in my wallet without looking at them. Just checked and it's $100.oo.

The modeler rig is just a loving beast. I'll never go back. My stage volume was about 2, and it was plenty. We have a festival in June, and a couple irons in the fire. I'm going to take this week and binge-watch all the stuff I've been missing while preparing for tonight's show.

And I was so loving afraid all this week. Just anxiety levels I could not explain. We kicked off the first note and all that went away and I was back performing again. Coulda been better of course but for the prep time we had to learn the whole show I'm pleased with our progress. Unfortunately the lady was stuck working so I had no one there to be my groupie and to get pics for me. I'm hoping I can get some from around the band later.

Feels good, man. There is really nothing like it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Very cool trip report.

I'm this close to buying some sort of Real Modeler (i have an Eleven Rack but it sounds like 2008, and i don't trust laptops quite yet) and some FRFR cabs so i can disconnect the amp sound from the volume/SPL.

I can, uh, well, i can afford anything I want, but i think the Kemper looks like boomer retro trash which kind of leaves the helix line? I have a line6 M13 which is Just Pedals No Amps/Cabs, and i like it, so i dunno.

I wish there was a way to jam my neural plugins into a metal box with foot switches with no laptop in the chain.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Jonny 290 posted:

i've been listening to a bunch of gojira this year and the urge to get a bari tele is nearly overwhelming now

oh they're just straight up D standard/drop C/open D minor so you could get there with any guitar

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

muike posted:

oh they're just straight up D standard/drop C/open D minor so you could get there with any guitar

oh, lol, jeez they dial the tone in. i figured they were playing baritone at least.

Sounds like i should finish my project of installing the bridge on my old JB Player and stringing it with the set of 62's i picked up

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah they always sound massive. a set of 11s will get you there on any guitar

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I wish there was a way to jam my neural plugins into a metal box with foot switches with no laptop in the chain.
Neural makes the Quad Cortex, which is a floor modeling unit that runs their software

but it's sold out everywhere right now. :smith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Siivola posted:

Neural makes the Quad Cortex, which is a floor modeling unit that runs their software

oh my god

the footswitches are also knobs

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuu aaaaaaaaa

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
on second thought i just ordered an m1 air and i'd be like $1500 ahead if i bought a really nice interface and foot controller and just used my existing plugins. but ugh thats so many wires and boxes. and im getting sick of that

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The biggest downside of the quad cortex right now, even though i know for a fact it sounds great, is that it can't load the Neural DSP files and doesn't have a digital editing software

edit: a lot of bands just use laptops for their liveshows so if you like your DSPs just do it

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dr. Faustus posted:

Played my first gig in something like 27 years tonight. All sorts of stuff went wrong with the PA, we were an hour late starting, and the band never quite gelled because of the PA/Monitor problems, except from time to time things came together perfectly. It was still a blast. There were so many people there. When we were good, we were really good. When we were bad, there were enough bandmates who are fast on their instruments to help mask that stuff, make it sound like we meant to do that. That's a skill every band needs.

Overall it was a good success. We got paid to rehearse, essentially, and we are invited back in July.

Band leader handed me a little roll of twenties and I stuffed em in my wallet without looking at them. Just checked and it's $100.oo.

The modeler rig is just a loving beast. I'll never go back. My stage volume was about 2, and it was plenty. We have a festival in June, and a couple irons in the fire. I'm going to take this week and binge-watch all the stuff I've been missing while preparing for tonight's show.

And I was so loving afraid all this week. Just anxiety levels I could not explain. We kicked off the first note and all that went away and I was back performing again. Coulda been better of course but for the prep time we had to learn the whole show I'm pleased with our progress. Unfortunately the lady was stuck working so I had no one there to be my groupie and to get pics for me. I'm hoping I can get some from around the band later.

This rules. I’ve never played live and probably never will but could understand being filled with nerves.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hell yeah man!!! kill it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm? Any decisions?

gently caress it, GAS wins

I’ll PM you

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jonny 290 posted:

on second thought i just ordered an m1 air and i'd be like $1500 ahead if i bought a really nice interface and foot controller and just used my existing plugins. but ugh thats so many wires and boxes. and im getting sick of that

https://xsonicaudio.com/products/xtone-pro

I picked this up and it's loving excellent. 3 banks of foot switch midi buttons and a really good low latency audio interface that works with my laptop and phone. It's even USB powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Siivola posted:

I don't think it runs their plug-ins yet, but it's supposed to at some point. Either way, I'm definitely going with Helix whenever I can. Is there any real reason to spend money on a Helix floor, as opposed to a Helix LT which is like 500ish cheaper? I think the LT just doesn't have as fancy of an i/o and user interface? I'd mostly edit preset stuff on the computer. And if I ever get a social life I'd have a Helix/FRFR cab I could just carry around. And if I somehow ever con my way into playing a show, I think these days you just can have the sound guy run the Helix to their PA set up? Seems like a Helix covers everything.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 8, 2022