Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Looper posted:

tales of the abyss will get a rerelease, soon

Still waiting for a Graces F port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

They did make Vaan's abs less weird for what that's worth

that's good, i remember them being a lil creepy

also i own the tales of abyss rerelease (3DS)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The plot of Abyss isn't bad, but I admit I could never get into the combat system.

To be fair, I never got much farther than the Liger Queen, so I know the FoF system hasn't opened up yet, but... it just felt boring.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Making my first serious replay of Xenosaga in over a decade....

It really is kinda irritating to have to wander around everywhere to make sue you don't miss an email. Also not helped by the deafening silence. With Episode 1 being my secodn JRPG ever, I didn't know enough to realize how annoying this is. And considering Xenogears is very similar, I have to assume Takahashi wanted this and I can't even begin to understand why. It's not immersive, quite the contrary.

On a brighter note, the battle system is fun, way better than Xenogears'. The event slot and Boost system makes fights pretty strategic. Instead of just spamming super moves all willynilly. Do you want to use it on the slot which massively increases Boost or the one that gurantees Crits so to do the maximum damage? And don't forget trying to end fights on the slot which increases earned points.

My only problem is that it shows you a very limited turn order compared to FFX. You only see maybe one or two upcoming turns sometimes and it sucks if you're trying to plan around the boss getting a turn on a particular slot because you don't know if the boss' turn is coming up or not

Another thing about Xenosaga and Final Fantasy being my main intro to JRPGs for a long time was a new battle system being introduced each game was what I expected. It's rather silly, especially since each Xenosaga battle system is worse than the first one. Episode 2's is tedious beyond belief but then EP3 over-compensates by making it too fast and generic. Sort of the same mistake they made with FFXII and XIII, going from too slow to too fast for my taste.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quackles posted:

The plot of Abyss isn't bad, but I admit I could never get into the combat system.

To be fair, I never got much farther than the Liger Queen, so I know the FoF system hasn't opened up yet, but... it just felt boring.

it's the best of that era of 3d tales. so, it's serviceable but it's still just a worse version of eternia, in 3d.

it's weird cause in that period 2d tales was doing lots of experimentation and most of it was a lot better than even, some of modern 3d tales combat. in contemporary 3d tales it loving blows those games away. not counting legendia on either side because, while there are stories about legendia being by the tekken team, it was actually much weirder than that. half of legendia's programmers only ever worked, on weird dreamcast games nobody played. what the gently caress was legendia

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got curious the last time it got brought up since I remembered Legendia being marketed as being made by Soulcalibur people rather than Tekken, and it's funny since there was maybe one person from either fighting game team and they were an art person or something like that, while the game had more in common with Ace Combat devs (though still not that many overall). Just a mishmash of random people who were available at the time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the lead combat programmer on tales of legendia was one of the lead developers on, napple tale. who was also a programmer on wario world. tales of legendia shares more dna with eternal poison than with soulcalibur or tekken.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the fonon system is cool. games where your attacks get different effects by following up with allies are great

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Well, magic clones aren't real so no, it would not necessarily have the same effect of a medical coma (which are real). It would do whatever the fictional rules of the fantasy setting say it would do.

Well duh. I'm not saying Tales of the Abyss is wrong. I'm just saying it's real easy to see why people get the reading they do given the information they have at that stage of the game.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Detheros posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tired Moritz posted:

the fonon system is cool. games where your attacks get different effects by following up with allies are great

it would be good if it was like. easier to trigger consistently. it's the only real unique thing about abyss' combat but it's poorly explained enough that it's too easy to want to just ignore it

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Looper posted:

tales of the abyss will get a rerelease, soon

willing this into existence

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Tales of the Abyss is an incredible RPG and I will even stand by a lot of its narrative pacing decisions but every single environment in the game needs to be like 10% smaller and dungeons need to be 30%. The biggest sin of the game is that it takes too goddamn long to get anywhere (there's also a sidequest that involves revisiting a bunch of dungeons). And cut the east wing of Daath Cathedral entirely.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Caphi posted:

And cut the east wing of Daath Cathedral entirely.

lmao I still have nightmares about that place. How do you design a town environment to be *that* sprawling and confusing?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the ever-increasing number of invisible walls on the overworld map in act 2 also got pretty aggravating

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Making my first serious replay of Xenosaga in over a decade....

It really is kinda irritating to have to wander around everywhere to make sue you don't miss an email. Also not helped by the deafening silence. With Episode 1 being my secodn JRPG ever, I didn't know enough to realize how annoying this is. And considering Xenogears is very similar, I have to assume Takahashi wanted this and I can't even begin to understand why. It's not immersive, quite the contrary.

On a brighter note, the battle system is fun, way better than Xenogears'. The event slot and Boost system makes fights pretty strategic. Instead of just spamming super moves all willynilly. Do you want to use it on the slot which massively increases Boost or the one that gurantees Crits so to do the maximum damage? And don't forget trying to end fights on the slot which increases earned points.

My only problem is that it shows you a very limited turn order compared to FFX. You only see maybe one or two upcoming turns sometimes and it sucks if you're trying to plan around the boss getting a turn on a particular slot because you don't know if the boss' turn is coming up or not

Another thing about Xenosaga and Final Fantasy being my main intro to JRPGs for a long time was a new battle system being introduced each game was what I expected. It's rather silly, especially since each Xenosaga battle system is worse than the first one. Episode 2's is tedious beyond belief but then EP3 over-compensates by making it too fast and generic. Sort of the same mistake they made with FFXII and XIII, going from too slow to too fast for my taste.

I actually really loved the combat system in Xenosaga Episode 1. I never got around to playing the other two for whatever reason (someday I guess), but it's a shame to learn they kinda wrecked it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it would be good if it was like. easier to trigger consistently. it's the only real unique thing about abyss' combat but it's poorly explained enough that it's too easy to want to just ignore it

agreed because i found myself constantly having to look up what artes needed what elements for FoF. Thankfully light and dark circles gave you way better odds and higher tier spells dropped fully formed circles so endgame got easier to just hope you'd hit one

also lol i forgot about the cathedral being a pain. thankfully we got a (lesser) successor in graces f to keep everyone on their toes

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Abyss also has one of the worst cases of stupidly missable side quest bullshit, second only to Vesperia really. While it's not as bad as Brionac, the entire Cecile and Fring questline is a goddamn nightmare.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So against most advice I picked up the Grandia HD deal on the Switch because go handheld. Honestly the filter doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does everyone else, probably because I emulate so much it just looks pretty normal to me. The translation is real bad (I guess it always was) but man oh man there's an artistry to every aspect of the game. The characters, the progression, the world they drop you in - all of it is just like the ur-example of poo poo I loved from that era. The later Grandia games are good, but the OG is full on great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you use a smoothing filter when you emulate psx wtf...

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
wtf indeed

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I actually really loved the combat system in Xenosaga Episode 1. I never got around to playing the other two for whatever reason (someday I guess), but it's a shame to learn they kinda wrecked it.

2 was a definite wreck. Worst in the trilogy by a mile. 3 is... It has power curve problems. It's clear the game was jamming everything together and they sideline the robots for long stretches, so those go from "okay" to "Ooo boy" to "you're broken or you're hosed" by the end, the character combat stays MORE even but still has plateaus.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Detheros posted:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been scooping up RPGs on my 3DS as that digital store is getting sunsetted, help me prioritize what to play-

Bravely Default 1 (been chipping away at this for a while)
Etrian Odyssey IV
Crimson Shroud
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Dragon Quest VIII if I can figure out how to put a larger SD card in this thing?

E: Also something called a "Culdcept Revolt" which is $5 until tomorrow and not a huge download, so I might just grab it for funsies. I think it's an RPG?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 7, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Been scooping up RPGs on my 3DS as that digital store is getting sunsetted, help me prioritize what to play-

Etrian Odyssey IV
Crimson Shroud
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Dragon Quest VIII if I can figure out how to put a larger SD card in this thing?

E: Also something called a "Culdcept Revolt" which is $5 until tomorrow and not a huge download, so I might just grab it for funsies. I think it's an RPG?

I don't know anything about any of those but did you get all the SMT games for it? Since you have EO on there I'd assume so but the 3DS SMT games are the best in the franchise, IMO.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Episode III is a very good game, its combat is just a snoozefest. All these years later, I can't believe they let you just buy something as broken as the Seven Moons/Sisters. It's an item that revives you with full HP/EP. You can stockpile them less than halfway through the game. I just used to spam my best moves, let somebody die when they ran out of EP to spam their best moves, and then revive them with the item so I can spam their best moves again.

I'm right before Gargoyle/the Cherenkov Gnosis boss fight in my run. Wish me luck

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know anything about any of those but did you get all the SMT games for it? Since you have EO on there I'd assume so but the 3DS SMT games are the best in the franchise, IMO.

I never got a consensus from the goon hivemind on which 3DS title was The One To Get, so I didn't get any of them :( Also SMTIV would have eaten up all of the remaining space on my memory card, when I finally get off my butt and buy a larger card I will take another look at the series on there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The answer was all of them.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Radiant Historia is one of my favorite handheld RPGs, really one of my favorite RPGs period. The only complaint I have is the battle system can get a touch tedious when you're running back through areas.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

you use a smoothing filter when you emulate psx wtf...

anyone who does this should be brutally destroyed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

C-Euro posted:

Etrian Odyssey IV
Crimson Shroud
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts DDD

Culdcept is more like a board game with some vague RPG elements I guess

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Levantine posted:

So against most advice I picked up the Grandia HD deal on the Switch because go handheld. Honestly the filter doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does everyone else, probably because I emulate so much it just looks pretty normal to me. The translation is real bad (I guess it always was) but man oh man there's an artistry to every aspect of the game. The characters, the progression, the world they drop you in - all of it is just like the ur-example of poo poo I loved from that era. The later Grandia games are good, but the OG is full on great.
the translation is bad???

grandia has like one of the finest translation jobs among its peers. the dialogue is charming as hell and entirely comprehensible. sure, there's some clumsy phrasing but everything had clumsy phrasing back then. if you look at stuff like original FF7, that's a bad translation. it goes way beyond bad phrasing into outright nonsense entirely too often thanks to the one singular guy they got on it having like two weeks total to do the entire game lol

even the dub in grandia is shockingly fine! it sounds pretty amateurish but that actually perfectly captures the 90s anime vibe the game had going anyway, and some of the deliveries, especially from Sue, are actually just perfect

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I spent like 3-4 hours on Culdcept and enjoyed it, I've got a friend who's real into it, apparently it's got a small but invested community if you still wanna do online matches

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't even want a port of Graces F. I just want someone to blatantly steal the title system from it. It had the most engaging combat system for me because every fight was filled with mini objectives like using certain artes or dodging a lot or playing as other characters or whatever, all so I could get a check mark in the title and get juuuuust a little bit stronger. I was running into every monster in the game just to progress my titles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Morpheus posted:

I don't even want a port of Graces F. I just want someone to blatantly steal the title system from it. It had the most engaging combat system for me because every fight was filled with mini objectives like using certain artes or dodging a lot or playing as other characters or whatever, all so I could get a check mark in the title and get juuuuust a little bit stronger. I was running into every monster in the game just to progress my titles.

I think Hearts R had that too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hearts R also has an in depth gambit system for the characters you don't control and I've no idea why they never used that again, it was so good.

I guess Arise has a very limited version of it with much less functionality.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speaking of old combat systems that we all miss:

I hope that Kingdom Hearts 4 inexplicably plays like 2. But keep 3's magic system. It rules calling a curtain call of lightning down every fight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of old combat systems that we all miss:

I hope that Kingdom Hearts 4 inexplicably plays like 2. But keep 3's magic system. It rules calling a curtain call of lightning down every fight.

Genuine question, what way do you want 4 to play like 2? Because I felt like the only real improvement over 2 was that the post-ReMind patch combat was more fluid than 2 ever was even if the campaign was way worse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reaction commands but they're already confirmed to be returning.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi I'm still playing Stella Glow and just got through chapter 3 and wow Nonoka is just terrible and I hate that she is definitely going to be very useful in battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Amppelix posted:

the translation is bad???

grandia has like one of the finest translation jobs among its peers. the dialogue is charming as hell and entirely comprehensible. sure, there's some clumsy phrasing but everything had clumsy phrasing back then. if you look at stuff like original FF7, that's a bad translation. it goes way beyond bad phrasing into outright nonsense entirely too often thanks to the one singular guy they got on it having like two weeks total to do the entire game lol

even the dub in grandia is shockingly fine! it sounds pretty amateurish but that actually perfectly captures the 90s anime vibe the game had going anyway, and some of the deliveries, especially from Sue, are actually just perfect

yes! someone who gets it!! grandia's english dub is exactly what it needed to be