Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah "it has to stop eventually" and actually calling the top when it happens are two different things. As they say, economists have predicted 14 out of the last 3 recessions, etc. I would not have called the top in 2014, but it's understandable given how rapid prices were rising from 2010 to 2014 to have thought so. I'm also an SF goon, this area market is absurd, and it's not just programmers making that kind of money around here, we have a lot of biotech, finance (BofA, Wells Fargo, etc), Chevron has a big presence here, and the tourist industry is looking to recover this year too. Plus California is uniquely hosed because of prop 13, which heavily disincentivizes selling your house for any reason and is generationally-inheritable (and also applies to commercial real estate!).

It'd be difficult to entirely prevent investors from speculating on houses, and of course anything that promised to lower housing prices is a direct attack on the house-owning class who would see their net worth dissolve. For a ton of boomers, the value in their houses is the insurance against horrifically spiraling health care costs - my parents are a perfect example - so they're not going to vote against their interests and support any legislation that threatens to make existing houses go down in value.

Some folks hope that once the boomers are gone that changes, but no, their kids and grandkids will inherit those houses and the situation will persist. From a political viability perspective, prop 13 probably can't be got rid of without some kind of very long ramp-down grandfather (lol) clause that guarantees people currently clinging to their tiny tax bills on houses worth a million dollars won't be affected for the next 50 years or something like that.

For the rest of the country, though, there's some hope that the inevitable eventual recession, ongoing home construction boom, etc. could force housing prices to plateau and maybe even contract a bit. On the other hand, perhaps the inevitable inundation of the coasts by rising sea levels will remove more housing stock than builders can replace, and we're all doomed. :shrug: nobody can really have any certainty about it.

A paywall of some kind would actually do a ton to get rid of bots, but it's also directly counter to Musk's stated intentions to make Twitter a pure free speech platform, so that's ironic darkly funny
I've got some ideas on how to cut down investor's speculation driving up housing costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

7:30-4:00 crew checking in :cool:

E: I take a 30 minute break because I tried to see how long I could just clock all the way through the day to get OT and eventually my boss told me I need to take my lunch breaks lol

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
7-3:15

Half paid working 30 minute lunch. 2 15 minute breaks at 9 and 1. In actuality it's a leave once you're relieved position so I show up around 6:30 and head out around 2:50.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

T-Square posted:

7:30-4:00 crew checking in :cool:

E: I take a 30 minute break because I tried to see how long I could just clock all the way through the day to get OT and eventually my boss told me I need to take my lunch breaks lol

Depending on where you live it might be a literal law.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

LeeMajors posted:

lol the “smartest man on earth” thinks people will subscribe to twitter

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/1522758358972907526?s=21

He can't help himself can he

even in a meeting with investors he does a dumb 69 joke

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

He can't help himself can he

even in a meeting with investors he does a dumb 69 joke

I mean, I'm not going to stop looking at twitter until it becomes too annoying to bother with, but it really seems like Musk is trying to achieve that outcome.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

So it is a leveraged buyout with the usual cut costs and try to exploit users to generate unrealistic new income streams. A classic no doubt and has worked approx zero times in the past.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My longshoring was 9am-5pm or 6pm-2am, hour lunch. Every shift everyone would draw straws and that would let you either start an hour later, 2 hour lunch or leave an hour early. You’d still get paid for the full shift including your lunch hour. Unions rock, once drew a clerk shift and was pulling $41 an hour just to sit in a truck and confirm container numbers.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Hot Diggity! posted:

The best / easiest way to monetize twitter would be to charge for replying to tweets with a gif

Charge some amount to prevent people from posting and also make it possible to pay to reinstate posting ability.

Infinite cash as flame wars turn into spending sprees.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If I go into the office, I generally work 6:30-4 with a 30-60 minute lunch. I don’t really have set hours though and I’m often out of the office at a jobsite.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 7, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bird in a Blender posted:

If I go into the office, I generally work 6:30-4 with a 30-60 minute lunch. I don’t really have set hours though and I’m often out of the office at a jobsite. I don’t really have set hours.

But do you have set hours?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My set hours are 9:30-6, with officially an hour for lunch and 30 minutes of breaks.

I have never been a morning person, unless you got kids to watch after school or whatnot, I can't imagine wanting to be working at 6

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

I have never been a morning person, unless you got kids to watch after school or whatnot, I can't imagine wanting to be working at 6

Depends on the job I think? If you're working something that has your average person call in about something being wrong they usually do that at the end of the day.

I've thankfully never had to answer phones for a living but if you do, as far as I can tell you will murder a co-worker to get those early hours so you can be off by the time you're normally getting slammed.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

My first IT job I had to man the phones starting at 7am, and people calling in with IT problems at 7am have absolutely zero chill.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
People calling customer service at any hour have no chill. People loving suck, particularly when it was their own mistake or misunderstanding or gently caress up.

Source: Have worked in customer service for a long rear end time :smith:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Anyone here know ducks? These guys are hanging out at the house the last 3-4 days and they’re actually pretty funny animals.
We get a lot of the ugly Muscovy ducks but these guys are way friendlier

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Qwijib0 posted:

Charge some amount to prevent people from posting and also make it possible to pay to reinstate posting ability.

Infinite cash as flame wars turn into spending sprees.

Lowtax would have been rich as Zuckerberg if he'd let people buy 6ers for someone else

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Pre-pandemic I had a nice 7:30 - 4:00 schedule since that let me take the express commuter rail in the morning. Now that I'm full-time remote if I am generally available 9-5 no one gives a poo poo beyond that. Sometimes I wonder if someone's going to think I'm shaving hours here and there and implement a more strict monitoring system, but if it hasn't happened by now I don't think it's happening.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Anyone here know ducks? These guys are hanging out at the house the last 3-4 days and they’re actually pretty funny animals.
We get a lot of the ugly Muscovy ducks but these guys are way friendlier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mottled_duck maybe? As a guess I mean. If one of them is a male the little blue patch on the wing would be a thing to look for.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kalli posted:

My set hours are 9:30-6, with officially an hour for lunch and 30 minutes of breaks.

I prefer the morning because there’s very little traffic when you’re on the road at 5:45. I also work construction and those guys love to start as early as possible. Like most would prefer to work 6-2:30 even though normal hours are 7-3:30.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/eminem/status/1523096254682521601?s=21&t=bdBY-WfJjSeCiVdAbBA6uA

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Eminem just aged himself 50 years

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The fact that he's got a bored ape avatar is what's really completing this awfulness.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Another 50 yr old man weirdly into minions.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eminem still working as hard as possible to piss off middle aged parents. Gotta respect it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Making kenji's baked Mac and cheese for the first time and I've never grated a pound and a half of cheese before

That a pile

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ha I'm making Mac n cheese tonight too but I'm gonna break tradition and cook up some spec until crispy and use the fat from it to make the roux I'll use to make the sauce.

I like to make my bread crumbs with garlic and basil as a topper too.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm making curry and a Costco frozen pizza since my lady doesn't like curry. I don't mind since I can make my curry spicy and don't have to share.s

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sweet Potato crusted mahi. A once in a while treat

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

Making kenji's baked Mac and cheese for the first time and I've never grated a pound and a half of cheese before

That a pile

I think if my food processor won’t shred it I would just pass on making it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

We watched the Sonic the Hedgehog movie today because kiddo wanted to see it.

My expectations were met. Dr. Robotnik is such a goddamn Jim Carrey role I cannot imagine anyone else in it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

put some mustard in your mac & cheese before you bake it
yes I said bake it, to get the panko crispy

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

When making homemade mac and cheese do people actually ever not bake it? I cannot fathom not baking mac cheese when made from scratch

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

EmbryoSteve posted:

When making homemade mac and cheese do people actually ever not bake it? I cannot fathom not baking mac cheese when made from scratch

You can get the same effect by toasting your bread crumbs in a pan with a little olive oil or butter but baking its a lot better

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I did not watch this live and only knew it was going on because I saw other people talking about it, which has been the case for me for...well ever. But this is a pretty good piece of sports film.

https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1523104042427334660

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

put some mustard in your mac & cheese before you bake it
yes I said bake it, to get the panko crispy

Kenji has mustard in the recipe and I hate mustard (don't @ me) but the amount was so miniscule compared to the pound and half of cheese I assumed it was for some technical reasons not flavor and I couldn't taste it so victory

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Stovetop mwc and cheese is perfectly fine

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

You can get the same effect by toasting your bread crumbs in a pan with a little olive oil or butter but baking its a lot better

Crushed croutons, blam done

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

We watched the Sonic the Hedgehog movie today because kiddo wanted to see it.

My expectations were met. Dr. Robotnik is such a goddamn Jim Carrey role I cannot imagine anyone else in it.

Hahaha got out of the shower and wife had thrown it on tonight….kids went down and we finished it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

On the subject of cooking what’s everyone making for Mother’s Day? I got 2 giant ribeyes marinading, defrosting some chicken bone stock to boil the taters, so all I got left is to shuck some ears of corn. Plus a decent amount of rendered bacon fat to add to everything