Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

one of my most distinct memories of Morrowind is just sort of stumbling into the dungeon in Tel Vos early in my first playthrough and getting my poo poo absolutely wrecked. I hadn't even seen a flame atronach before let alone fought one so they were genuinely pretty scary.

Every creature being scaled to your level and high level enemies just not appearing at all makes that sort of experience impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not to make every thread the elden ring thread but elden ring does recapture that feeling a lot, for me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul sort of does that for Oblivion (on top of a hundred other things, but the mod is almost entirely modular). Enemies scale based not on player level (though that might play a minor role), but on distance from civilization. The further away from cities, the tougher the things you'll encounter (and the better the loot).

I've taken to mostly only peaking into Ayleid ruins, because what's inside usually kicks my butt. When I do mange to complete a bigger dungeon, it feels like an accomplishment.

This is the first time I'm playing with Atronach birthsign, and I’m a spellcaster, so the welkynd stones (full magicka recharge) are worth their weight in gold. I like the loop it creates as I get low on their supply. Previously it was an item I almost literally never used.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 4, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Vavrek posted:

I forgot about item scaling.

God, do I hate item scaling. That's probably the biggest difference between Morrowind and Oblivion that stands out to me. Not a system where powerful items are gated off until they don't break the difficulty curve, no. A system where you can't get powerful items and any useful tool you find steadily becomes worthless.

It's probably not great design, certainly not intentional design, that I can just easily grab the Fists of Randagulf at level one and get 40 free attribute points. But to not hide them, to let them be right there at level one, permanently weakened because of when I found them ...

God I hate item scaling.

Item scaling ruined a lot about Oblivion for me.

Just one example: I remember how disillusioned I was when I realize robbing people at low level was counter productive because they would never have anything interesting or valuable in their house.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The modding community put together this website/pdf commemorating the 20th anniversary. The book is pretty impressive, over a hundred pages of anecdotes and art from fans and modders. It's very touching and reading through them gives me a lot of flash backs to my own times with the game.

https://mw.thenet.sk/

Bethesda posted a couple of articles about MW too:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1TAS8QZ0cMMUF2MeXWnIBy/how-morrowind-inspired-a-generation-of-developers

https://bethesda.net/en/article/7eigngyggmpWD8LilRnnGA/making-morrowind-20th-anniversary

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 4, 2022

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mendrian posted:

Item scaling ruined a lot about Oblivion for me.

Just one example: I remember how disillusioned I was when I realize robbing people at low level was counter productive because they would never have anything interesting or valuable in their house.

Systems in games can produce novel game experiences and replace carefully arranged and designed experiences, if the system is capable of producing unexpected results.

Oblivion hosed that up, hard.

Sure you can have a spawn point that produces a dynamic monster, but if the result of that dynamism is always some kind of zombie that takes 12 melee attacks to kill and 10 to kill you, that's more tedious than even dying over and over to one that's too hard to beat in one place and one that falls over like twigs in another.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hopefully we'll get a new Elder scrolls game before the 20th anniversary of that game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’ll be a bit disappointed if it’s a return to Cyrodiil. Not that I wouldn’t mind that in theory, but since these games take so long to come out now, I’d prefer one of the less explored regions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Would be funny if the mountainous somewhat barren landscape we saw in the teaser wasn't actually the Iliac Bay like everyone is assuming but Argonia but they retconned the swamps and jungles.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i've been scratching my head for a little while trying to figure out which mod i've got installed that's putting in an enemy called "Lesser Lich." They have an insanely powerful blind/absorb health spell and like to pin you in place with a Greater Bonewalker so they can wail on you with spells. Anyone know what mod it is from?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i've been scratching my head for a little while trying to figure out which mod i've got installed that's putting in an enemy called "Lesser Lich." They have an insanely powerful blind/absorb health spell and like to pin you in place with a Greater Bonewalker so they can wail on you with spells. Anyone know what mod it is from?

Open the console, click on the creature then type "ori", should tell you what mod it's from

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
man i remember oblivion's fingers of the mountain being hyped up as a really holy goddamn this spell is gonna be fuckin amazing just by the way that quest felt doing it and it was super lovely and basically worse than a generic lightning spell you could buy. I think unless you get it at a very specific level range it's either worthlessly weak or extremely magica-inefficient to the point where there's no reason to get it at all.

I looked it up now and unless you're lower than level 5 it will always cost more than a custom spell that you've made yourself. Like dramatically more. Eventually it gets to be twice the cost. There's basically no sweet spot where it would be worth the trouble of getting it.

"Oh drat this ancient deadly spell is gonna be 2㎭ there was a fried body up there and everything" turns out to be this wimpy 6 points of damage in 5 feet on target, or else a complete piece of poo poo. Absolutely nuts. I think you have to already have a better spell to get this one.

Finding spell tomes in loot was fuckin' incredible tho. Idk if you had to pay for that like horse armor or what.

Skwirl posted:

Hopefully we'll get a new Elder scrolls game before the 20th anniversary of that game.

lol only 4 years left, they're doing starfield or w/e instead, right? Lucky to get Outer Worlds, But Worse before then. Maybe it'll be like the online Fallout but space.

Let's see if it comes out before the Skyrim 20th. Those 9 years gonna fly by, baby! I was honestly hoping Cyberpunk 2077 would be the game to dunk on Bethesda for once. Someone out there is gonna gut them at some point. Eat their lunch by outdoing the whole open world fprpg thing. But no matter what happens I'd bet society will finish collapsing before a legit Morrowind 2 ever comes out, even if it's not an ES game.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

If you fully tricked out Morrowind with all the best graphics mods, what would be the system requirements for that on max settings?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

not very high still lol. my 970 gets pretty close to max at 60 fps with a silly amount of distant cells. eventually you reach a point where no hardware can help you, but then you're doing stuff like rendering the whole worldspace

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The new elder scrolls is gonna be a huge disappointment and we’ll be modding Morrowind at the old folks home

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Installing akavir.bsa means you should also install the physics patch, otherwise the wreck & sequence where Elone breaks you out of the brig won't work. But otherwise you can skip the normal intro and try and find the Nerevarine, I don't think you strictly need physics for anything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

(If anyone was wondering) Oblivion scales pretty poorly. It'll depend on how much you mod it, but you'll inevitably get stutters in the open world as chunks of the map load in, even if you can get over 120fps most of the time. And because it's heavily single threaded, the frame rate can plummet to well below 30 if you have enough actors in combat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What mods should I run for a first time Oblivion game

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

galenanorth posted:

If you fully tricked out Morrowind with all the best graphics mods, what would be the system requirements for that on max settings?

Very low, but your framerate will chug even with the best hardware and no graphics mods in old ebonheart, because the engine can't handle it

Don't know if that applies to openmw

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It comes with a mod you can run from the start menu called "uninstall" which by far deliverers the best oblivion experience

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

you n'wah, e'tc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You could start with this guide.

Through the Valleys

I can't vouch for how it plays in practice, but it seems to take a fairly minimalist approach to addressing the game's problems ("vanilla plus" as some call it). The biggest changes come from the Ascension overhaul. I'd read through if you're okay with what it does, though iirc it's modular, so you can turn off most of its features (or you can skip it entirely). And I guess the character overhaul is a pretty big departure from vanilla, if we're counting visuals.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 8, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

maskars oblivion overhaul

the other mods are bad

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rinkles posted:

(If anyone was wondering) Oblivion scales pretty poorly. It'll depend on how much you mod it, but you'll inevitably get stutters in the open world as chunks of the map load in, even if you can get over 120fps most of the time. And because it's heavily single threaded, the frame rate can plummet to well below 30 if you have enough actors in combat.

and not only is it extremely single-threaded, but the multi-threading that is present is so badly coded that the game is significantly more stable if you run an exe hack to disable part of the multithreading code

oblivion, very simply, was designed to run unmodded on an xbox 360 and on absolutely no other system. PC and mod support was a complete afterthought.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

first time? i think just oscuro's oblivion overhaul in order to make the world more static (like morrowind) and maskar's overhaul to fix a bunch of other stuff as well as smooth out the wrinkles in OOO's static levels since OOO is an ancient mod. i'm not sure you can really make informed choices about what other mods would be to your taste without playing at least a few hours of the game using just the baseline overhauls. some people would probably say you should just play vanilla, but vanilla is very bad so don't. maybe UI mods like darn's and elven cartographer because the default UI and map are very ugly.

once you've played a little bit you'll probably have a bunch of things you would like to see changed/fixed/etc. and then you can go nuts with the mod list

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Rinkles posted:

You could start with this guide.

Through the Valleys

I can't vouch for how it plays in practice, but it seems to take a fairly minimalist approach to addressing the game's problems ("vanilla plus" as some call it). The biggest changes come from the Ascension overhaul. I'd read through if you're okay with what it does, though iirc it's modular, so you can turn off most of its features (or you can skip it entirely). And I guess the character overhaul is a pretty big departure from vanilla, if we're counting visuals.

I played with this mod list a while back and honestly I can't recommend it. Lots of changes that make the game a slog to play (fatigue draining from running, really slow magic regen, reduced carry weight). And it might have possibly been from mistakes on my part or just how Oblivion fundamentally works but my experience is that it wasn't terribly stable either which was a big disappointment because I remember it getting recommended as Viva New Vegas but for Oblivion.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's Ascension, which to me appears to make some questionable changes, which is why I singled it out.

Regarding stability, you're not got be able to match NV. NV runs better by default, and it's had much more fan support and fixes over the years than Oblivion. That said, I have a sizeable modlist for Oblivion, and crash maybe once every 8 hours on average (which I think is tolerable).

As an aside, modding NV is such a pleasure compared to any Bethesda game. Stuff is clean and mostly just works.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 8, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've been playing a modded Daggerfall Unity recently and it's quite cool being able to play the game and not fall through geometry in dungeons and the like. Also the DREAM mod and the mods it recommends makes it look quite good. Definitely worth a play through (it's completely free)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Daggerfall Unity owns hard. There's a cool option in some .ini file or something that reduces dungeon sizes too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gobblecoque posted:

Daggerfall Unity owns hard. There's a cool option in some .ini file or something that reduces dungeon sizes too.

I played it a few weeks ago. It blew my mind. Daggerfall at 60+ fps, any resolution you want, humongous view distance ( https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?t=10 ), other mods, and that tweak you mentioned that reduces dungeon size (it doesn't change quest dungeons though) is incredible. It's fully playable, very polished, and just impressive as hell.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Smaller dungeons is critical to enjoying the game once you're done being all mind blown by the world size.

Be picky about your temple, kyraneth is a trap choice.

Also just because there is no indication that this quest (unlike everything else offered by the faction) will tank your rep to the point you get banished from the entire country: if a witch asks you to go get a thing from some dude in a town don't do it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well gently caress looks like I’m playing daggerfall

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

daggerfail

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

mbt posted:

daggerfail

:dafuq:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

get out of my thread

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

did you know nexusmod authors can ban specific accounts from downloading their mods? I cant think of anything more petty and useless lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mbt posted:

did you know nexusmod authors can ban specific accounts from downloading their mods? I cant think of anything more petty and useless lol

that's unquestionably a terrible option to have but it is hilarious, so

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Schwarzwald posted:

that's unquestionably a terrible option to have but it is hilarious, so

Nexus modders are just full of drama, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a requested feature.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

galenanorth posted:

I used to run a mega juiced morrowind with a 1660 super at great framerates. Not appreciably any better with a 3070ti and 3800x

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Daggerfall is so hosed. Idk if ANY of the premade classes can escape the tutorial dungeon without savescumming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jay Rust posted:

Daggerfall is so hosed. Idk if ANY of the premade classes can escape the tutorial dungeon without savescumming

Anything with short blade shouldn't be too hard as long as you grab the ebony dagger in the question thingy.