Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
One of the tricks I’ve been trying to improve upon is preemptive use of guard; that is, guarding on my terms instead of the enemy’s. As RDM, if I’m in a team fight, I will throw up a guard to hold position while I wait the last few seconds for Riposte or Resolution to come off of cooldown, for example.

I find that if I am forced to guard due to pressure, I’m probably dead anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I absolute hate seeing Dancers or Gunbreakers on my team. They never seem to be better than any other Tank or DPS. I know GNB can be pretty good but they always seem to get blown up more than any other Tank.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
is superbollide in pvp?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zeruel posted:

is superbollide in pvp?

Yes, but it's Dark Knight's limit break.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Ran up against this fine individual in CC.

:ocelot:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's a nice plate I'll give you that, but the frame gives you no tactical advantage whatsoever.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ziddar posted:

Ran up against this fine individual in CC.

:ocelot:

That's pretty good.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Targeting seems to be my major problem in CC right now. PS5 / controller so clicking individuals from their party list is effectively off the table. Are there macros/text commands for targeting specific enemy number slots? Checking their list at the start and memorizing the RDM is #4 and having a macro to target them would be marvelous.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

Targeting seems to be my major problem in CC right now. PS5 / controller so clicking individuals from their party list is effectively off the table. Are there macros/text commands for targeting specific enemy number slots? Checking their list at the start and memorizing the RDM is #4 and having a macro to target them would be marvelous.

Somebody posted recently that /target <e1> through /target <e5> work for CC and I recommend this a lot for controller.

Despite the usually pretty thorough documentation in the macro window, I don't think the e# flag is listed as an option for /target. It works just fine though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

/target <e1>
(or <e2> ... <e5>)
That's also how you can mark players before the match has even started

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Great! Thanks!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I just use two macros for pvp targeting myself, a target closest visible enemy one, and attack the target marked 1.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Finally reached crystal after I gave up and switched back to WHM from Sage.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

I absolute hate seeing Dancers or Gunbreakers on my team. They never seem to be better than any other Tank or DPS. I know GNB can be pretty good but they always seem to get blown up more than any other Tank.

I'm at 3500 Credit playing exclusively Dancer and I'm pretty sure it's decent for solo queue, but it definitely takes more work than Samurai or whatever. Almost all of the other Dancers I've seen have left a pretty poor impression.

As for GNB, it literally has no defensive abilities without tank junctioned.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

kinda weird that for catbook they use random names for raid segements that aren't used anywhere else in game. Like for Alexander, it wants me to do Gordias. Was that the old name for the Father ones back in HW? At least for Omega and Eden the names that catbook refers to them as match the names in duty finder

I tried getting an alexander raid from normal raid roulette and got Alphascape 3.0... larboard still forcing abandons. Not like I helped, im not learning that mechanic again just for NIN. I did it way back when then immediately forgot it

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

A Moose posted:

I tried getting an alexander raid from normal raid roulette and got Alphascape 3.0... larboard still forcing abandons. Not like I helped, im not learning that mechanic again just for NIN. I did it way back when then immediately forgot it

honestly i never understood how larboard hosed people so badly to become a meme. was it the savage version?

i've had more trouble with people dropping puddles, the buster splash, and the flare than the ol' spinny cleaves

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
People just don't know left from right.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

His larboard or my larboard?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

A Moose posted:

kinda weird that for catbook they use random names for raid segements that aren't used anywhere else in game. Like for Alexander, it wants me to do Gordias. Was that the old name for the Father ones back in HW? At least for Omega and Eden the names that catbook refers to them as match the names in duty finder

They changed that with 6.1
It used to require a specific fight, but they changed it to accept a whole tier now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

A Moose posted:

:v:
(Not against your point at all, it's not clearly labeled on the duty names, but they have called it that in-game...in places.)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Tamba posted:

It used to require a specific fight, but they changed it to accept a whole tier now.

Oh poo poo really? I was going off the icon and even googling it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tamba posted:

I wish they did the same for raids, nothing like being unable to get Alliance roulette exp and the checkmark at the same time because all raids are either Crystal Tower or Void Ark, had to manually queue for Mach.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Gruckles posted:

His larboard or my larboard?

Its both! Which ever one you're on the wrong side for!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oneiros posted:

honestly i never understood how larboard hosed people so badly to become a meme. was it the savage version?

i've had more trouble with people dropping puddles, the buster splash, and the flare than the ol' spinny cleaves

It's a combination of his left/right larboard/starboard attacks being 225° rather than 180°, and then spinning to face the other direction before doing another, that makes some people's brains seize up. Then they blame the terminology for confusing them.

(If it's the same attack twice, dodge the first at mid flank and hold still. If it's alternating attacks, switch sides between hits. That's all you gotta do!)

E: lmao I got that backwards. You win this round, Omega.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 8, 2022

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I wish they did the same for raids, nothing like being unable to get Alliance roulette exp and the checkmark at the same time because all raids are either Crystal Tower or Void Ark, had to manually queue for Mach.

The rewards that you get from catbook are not worth doing this imo. If it's not something you were gonna do anyways via roulette or an unsynced ARR primal that you can spend retries on, gently caress it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Thundarr posted:

It's a combination of his left/right larboard/starboard attacks being 225° rather than 180°, and then spinning to face the other direction before doing another, that makes some people's brains seize up. Then they blame the terminology for confusing them.

(If it's the same attack twice, dodge the first at mid flank and hold still. If it's alternating attacks, switch sides between hits. That's all you gotta do!)

the followup got me a few times because i thought it was just repeated after the flip until it wasn't and i finally noticed the second castbar

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ever since someone in this thread said they should've used "Stage Left/Right" for Amon in the Aitiascope it's made me mad that they didn't. I want ALL the confusing directional terminology, Square.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

If anyone uses Anamnesis here, is there a way to freeze the equipment look during transitions like there is in concept matrix? I've scoured these menus but I could be being very stupid.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Can someone post a screenshot of what the target Macro for PvP would look like? I put them in and it does nothing so I know I did something wrong like an idiot.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
instead of a macro, bind the "Target nearest enemy" button to one of your mouse buttons. it makes pvp incredibly easier all by itself

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have that bound to ctrl-tab but I sort of want to bind it to caps lock somehow

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Venuz Patrol posted:

instead of a macro, bind the "Target nearest enemy" button to one of your mouse buttons. it makes pvp incredibly easier all by itself

I use auto target, myself. Hadn't thought to actually bind that ability.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone know how to copy PvP hot bars? I have a bunch of jobs to set up with guard/purify/rejuvenate/elixir and target macros and would rather not do it all by hand.

(I’ve tried a couple things from the docs and they didn’t work.)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Does anyone know how to copy PvP hot bars? I have a bunch of jobs to set up with guard/purify/rejuvenate/elixir and target macros and would rather not do it all by hand.

(I’ve tried a couple things from the docs and they didn’t work.)

/pvphotbar copy whm 1 current 1

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Venuz Patrol posted:

I play on PS5 so not possible.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Bind it to L3

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stormgale posted:

/pvphotbar copy whm 1 current 1

Where do you do that? I get told it’s not available when I do it in wolves den.

(That’s the thing I tried from the docs that didn’t work.)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Heavensward LP trains in the latest and greatest thousand year old spells. Thrill as I recount how I completely hosed up understanding how Heavensward Black Mage is supposed to work...

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Fam.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Made it to Crystal rank! A lot of hard work but I knew I could make it. My last game to make it was insane. They literally had it right in front of our goal. We fought like hell and managed to start to get some kills in. Then OT hit and our team pushed the Crystal like our lives depended on it. The enemy threw themselves at us but our Warrior LB’d at good times and my Summoner LB was able to do heavy damage and recharge quick thanks to Bard. We ended OT by pretty much running it right into their goal. Couldn’t believe it.