Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I don't know, what kind of things do you like to do in your spare time? It depends a lot on your community, I guess.

I am asking you what things you define as "making a difference" and how you personally are coping with the negative connotations of unstoppable global biosphere collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"you're posting wrong" is always a good take, and leads to interesting discussions and positive change

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I am asking you what things you define as "making a difference" and how you personally are coping with the negative connotations of unstoppable global biosphere collapse

I think any volunteer opportunity where you spend time with vulnerable kids is a good way to make a difference (in general). There are a lot of youth and drop-in centers that need people to show up and spend time playing games, reading, etc., with kids from lovely home environments. Lots of communities need people to mentor or chaperone trips for kids to get out of the city and interact with nature, and I've heard a lot of really good things about the positive outcomes of those programs (especially for kids living in poverty).

However you can manage to stay mindful and in the moment when you're doing things you enjoy is effective coping. I spend a lot of time (you guessed it) volunteering with kids, and seeing the difference it makes for them makes me happier about the awful world they're inheriting.

e: here's a good post from someone else about this:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Your life should be full of love and enjoyment, and what you seek to bring into other people's lives. You gotta figure out what you have control over, and what is outside you control and focus on that.

That doesn't mean you can't think about problems facing the world like climate change or etc, but acting angry or upset all the time isn't making anyone life better.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
You are really fixated on kids. It's a bit weird.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think any volunteer opportunity where you spend time with vulnerable kids is a good way to make a difference (in general). There are a lot of youth and drop-in centers that need people to show up and spend time playing games, reading, etc., with kids from lovely home environments. Lots of communities need people to mentor or chaperone trips for kids to get out of the city and interact with nature, and I've heard a lot of really good things about the positive outcomes of those programs (especially for kids living in poverty).

However you can manage to stay mindful and in the moment when you're doing things you enjoy is effective coping. I spend a lot of time (you guessed it) volunteering with kids, and seeing the difference it makes for them makes me happier about the awful world they're inheriting.

So you don't make a difference in the awful world they are inheriting because you can't but also want to claim that it's horrible to admit that?

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 04:55 on May 8, 2022

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

You are really fixated on kids. It's a bit weird.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Can you explain a little more?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Everyone posting here is a lib except me

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Can you explain a little more?

Idk hanging out with kids makes me sad. I volunteered for boys and girls club and my little just made me sad as hell because they were super aware of how hosed poo poo is.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Everyone posting here is a lib except me

Hey now, some of us just want to see the world burn.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
weird how posts on a leftist politics shitposting subform of known dead gay comedy forum "some thing awful" seem to be using a lot of glib dark humor

i can only assume these posts are a 100% accurate reflection of how the poster lives and breathes every minute of their day

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tony Tone posted:

Doomerism in its final form is the ultimate cure to anxiety. You dont give a poo poo anymore, about anything. This planet is quite clearly loving doomed and it doesnt take a genius to figure it out.

:yeah:

e: I drift between despair and idgaf :regd08:

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 05:14 on May 8, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mameluke posted:

Alright folks since we're not thinking doomer thoughts anymore, what oil powered fun do yall have on tap for this weekend? I watched some imported trees bloom and saw Doctor Strange 2

I saw doctor strange 2 and went to Costco. I bought a new cool travel mug wrapped in plastic that’s metal!

minus the lid and the end of the metal straw that’s color matched to the mug (a nice green).

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ted hitler hunter posted:

Quote from the Glenn thread:

Azathoth posted:

i'm sure the climate change thread can get along just fine without the racist ecofash dude

everything old is new again

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's a bit in DS2, no spoilers, where Dr. Strange goes to a multiverse where Manhattan has streams between its sidewalks instead of cars, and he tells one of its residents that the place he comes from is beautiful

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

Idk hanging out with kids makes me sad. I volunteered for boys and girls club and my little just made me sad as hell because they were super aware of how hosed poo poo is.

I'm sorry :(. I'm also a special ed teacher, so I really prioritize and value supporting kids who need support. Things are pretty messed up, but it doesn't mean you can't find something out there that helps out and makes you feel better. Do your best!

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

So you don't make a difference in the awful world they are inheriting because you can't but also want to claim that it's horrible to admit that?

Huh? I'm kind of done with this thread for tonight, but I appreciate you engaging with me. I guess I probably won't change the world, but helping makes me feel a little better about everything!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if theres one thing ive learned from the climate thread its i gotta join the military and help the world out :911:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Also, look at Rime's posting!

rimes posting owns tho, you have ot contextualize his post with the knowledge he lives in a van 365 days a yearputting up windmills for years on end, while forest are burning down around him and every single windmill is broken when hes finished. also those windmills are also going to fall down in 10 years

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I mean, cognitive behavioral therapy is a modality designed around refuting doomer behaviors and thought patterns. It's not really surprising that thinking/talking about how the world is going to end affects your mental health. Also, look at Rime's posting!

It seems like you're getting really pissed about the idea that having your most nihilistic thoughts and behaviors validated online negatively affects how your brain works. I'm not attacking you?

Unfortunately this is kind of incorrect because CBT targets thought processes that are exaggerated or inaccurate or overly pessimistic, out of line with reality.

Not sure if that really applies to doomed-ism as it is fairly reality based. Def some people go to far but ymmv basically

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Rime is Don Quixote de la Tundra.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rime is Don Quixote de la Tundra.

lmfao ahahahahaah

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
he really is. hes don quixote if he also built the windmills beforehand lol

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm not mainlining 2200 posts thread, I think it will kill me.

Can I get a tldr?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
What with wind, street noise, fan from the pub kitchen, and my climate-news-follower whiskey and edibles, I was unaware of my surroundings as I phone posted on SA while having a cig outside my apartment. The leaves suddenly sounded different... I heard a faint snuffling. I looked up, momentarily blinded from my phone. Where's the sidewalk?

An adult black bear was at my feet. Directly in front of me, next to me. My "whoah poo poo" sent it off like a cannonball as fast as I could dive back inside. I now remember hearing something in the woods a few nights back and standing at the woodline yelling for it to identify itself (climate-news-follower demands nightly treatment), now I feel guilty for reacting fearfully to the peaceful yet powerful response. Still, bears and humans shouldn't get too comfortable. It's name is Stinkford btw as I reckon its the bear I've watched pillaging the dumpster.

Oh, yesterday as we ate lunch at work a fox walked up to us on the stone wall in the center of town where we feasted. 30' away it came, sat and posed at us. We feared it was rabid until it hopped after some ground birds in a thicket, doing showy fox jumps.

Feeling guilty again for being able to live such a fine life adjacent to nature, knowing what it will cost, and that it will hurt the least complicit most of all (native populations and impoverished masses in addition to the beautiful natural world).

At least Stinkford doesn't know.

I'm in no state to be tactful but my sincerest hugs and strength to parent climate goons. Stay strong for your budding planeteers.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyAer8SCvcw&t=142s

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Demilich posted:

I'm not mainlining 2200 posts thread, I think it will kill me.

Can I get a tldr?

there was a long bit about having children now and how selfish you have to be to have them now.
some argued against that, kinda, but everyone agreed it’s lmao for the kids in 20 years.

then Rime posted a pretty standard dark joke, and a mod who probably has kids decided to ban Rime because he either can’t read, has been waiting to for a while and wanted an excuse to. he hid like a coward for a day in the Glenn thread, I called him out, (and dragged some of them here, my bad) he came back and blamed it on rime being a racist poster, even though his reason for banning him was for a joke about nuking the USA to give the rest of the world a fighting chance, which he mis read, tried to bring it back to be about Rime racism posts in the past, somewhat was able to deflect. the Glenn thread is very smug we’re the crazy ones who don’t do anything and are defending a racist because we’re actually very standard d&d liberals while not posting about anything? oh and posting cat pictures and telling usually one or two person per page to shut the gently caress up.

(even saw a classic maybe if they did something instead of posting they could actually help fix things.) type post.

LionArcher has issued a correction as of 05:48 on May 8, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
99% of punishment drama would be streamlined if loser mods didn't push their glasses up and be like "sir you can't say we love white genocide on cspam" as 40000 posters say "i love white genocide" right after do you do proving you a loser and worthless. and instead said "i wanna do this, i think u stink sir." and we'd clap and say thank you.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

its loving midnight and still 85 degrees out fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

kater posted:

its loving midnight and still 85 degrees out fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

vote.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

hobbez posted:

Unfortunately this is kind of incorrect because CBT targets thought processes that are exaggerated or inaccurate or overly pessimistic, out of line with reality.

Not sure if that really applies to doomed-ism as it is fairly reality based. Def some people go to far but ymmv basically

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azathoth posted:

here's my official position: i appreciate that folks like the posts he makes that aren't racist or ecofash, but rime got a heavier probe and ban than most anyone would because when you've got multiple probes and bans for being a racist ecofash and i don't like having racist ecofash running around.

you're a stupid shithead and Rime did nothing wrong

Azathoth posted:

he's not my enemy and your second assertion is patently incorrect. i saw the post because of a report and the many others we get concerning Rime, looked over Rime's rapsheet and made the call based on that.

if you're unfamiliar with Rime's rapsheet why the gently caress are you moderating this thread lol. he's been posting in the climate change threads for years and we all know about his history and he's said repeatedly he's moved on from it and no longer holds those positions (in the same loving post you banned him for even). if he's ecofash every one of us is ecofash and you should ban us all, all of us agree with him

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 05:56 on May 8, 2022

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Chamale posted:

Can someone please quote the post about how being alive right now is like being a tuberculosis bacterium at the moment the host's lungs overflow with fluid

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azathoth posted:

I like Rime's posts in the UFO thread and have no personal animosity towards him, but one thing that we are challenged to do as mods is not act like robots and consider context. And, for the record, I don't consider whether something is probeable or bannable in D&D when choosing what to do, but I do take their posts in D&D (and anywhere else for that matter) into account. The rapsheet just happens to provide a quick index of particularly bad ones.

like you're digging up posts from 2015 that he's repented for repeatedly to peg him for, it's pathetic. his posts outside of this thread are bad, yes, and he deserved his last ban, but he literally didn't even do what you said he did this time. just admit you misread his post and stop trying to save face

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

if he's ecofash every one of us is ecofash and you should ban us all, all of us agree with him

Well you heard the man. Azathoth get to work

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Cup Runneth Over posted:

you're a stupid shithead and Rime did nothing wrong

if you're unfamiliar with Rime's rapsheet why the gently caress are you moderating this thread lol. he's been posting in the climate change threads for years and we all know about his history and he's said repeatedly he's moved on from it and no longer holds those positions (in the same loving post you banned him for even). if he's ecofash every one of us is ecofash and you should ban us all, all of us agree with him

Rime posted:

Maybe one day westerners will wake up and realize you cannot negotiate with China in good faith, you cannot "democratize" it by being nice to it, and that our downfall is going to stem from failing to firewall it like North Korea when we had the chance - before a Chinese-American scientist defected to build their nuclear program. The past century has demonstrated succinctly that the singular goal in that nation is the global domination of the Han cultural identity by any means necessary. Forced conversion, genocide, slavery, theft, kidnapping, extortion, distribution of lethal drugs - they have no limits and we do not share an ethical or moral philosophy on which to build an equal diplomatic relationship.

Any cursory look at China's actions and motivations during the past century should make it clear that Anyone who deals in good faith with an agent of this regime is in peril. It will not be reciprocated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rime posted:

Posters in thread concerning the end of all life on earth complain that there is too much negativity surrounding the end of all life on earth. :jerry:

Clathrate gun says :boom:

Right, the old "give people hope! canard. :hmmyes:

There is no hope. Smarten the gently caress up already. People aren't going to significantly overthrow or alter the current industrial paradigm in the west within the next decade, and even if they did it wouldn't loving matter. Here's why.

How do you propose to force rapidly developing / dystopic nations such as China, India, or Russia to give up their raging hardon for neo-colonial fuelled capitalist lifestyles, when they have already demonstrated that they have precisely zero interest in any form of environmental protection and possess nuclear weapons and the willingness to use them? How do you prevent the sovereign nation of Brazil from razing the Amazon, when doing so creates a profit for the controlling economic interests? At what point, assuming the west spontaneously decides to give up on a century of development, does it go isolationist and attempt to circle the wagons, turning the west into some sort of eco-theocratic Albania, ripe for conquest by the nations which sat around and declared they didn't give a gently caress as long as they got new phones every year? When do you stop and realize that the production chain for literally every modern convenience since the industrial revolution necessitates the accelerating destruction of our biosphere to provide at our current population levels.
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

imagine your biggest fear in climate disaster being JDPON lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

demod azathoth, that this is even controversial is damning

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Hubbert posted:

me, smugly addressing the Earth's glaciers and polar ice caps: "nice meltdown"
I will never not lmao at this tho

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Cup Runneth Over posted:

like you're digging up posts from 2015 that he's repented for repeatedly to peg him for, it's pathetic. his posts outside of this thread are bad, yes, and he deserved his last ban, but he literally didn't even do what you said he did this time. just admit you misread his post and stop trying to save face

lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

*digging my fingers into the still-warm ashes of an old growth forest* if only i had voted harder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

some plague rats posted:

Well you heard the man. Azathoth get to work

he's such a sniveling coward he wouldn't even face us in this thread without his posse so he would never dare